Haitaka: A Wrecking Ball with Legs

Anomalocaris

So I'm replaying Conquest on Hard mode, and this time around decided to use Haitaka. I didn't last time, and I've seen all the memes about him, so why not?

NAri0Ft.jpg

What I didn't realize was that this was going to be the beginning of something beautiful.

In Chapter 10, Haitaka did not need to Rally Defense; he choked the main ingress point by himself with a Dual Naginata. Chapter goddamn 10.

In Chapter 11, I split my squad in half to take on each path. Haitaka led the charge in the west half, and even though he was supported by Niles, Effie, Azura, and Silas, none of them mattered much; Haitaka survived the Ninja Lunge Conga Line with no issue, killing all of them then advancing into the Samurai Room of Doom and just taking all their hits with no issue while one-shotting them with a Subaki's Pike, while my other half of the army struggled to get past Rinkah and Azama's chambers. He then faced off against Hinoka and defeated her.

In Chapter 12, Haitaka was backed up by Mozu, who was now a Dread Fighter. She was pretty tough now, and a good sidekick, softening enemies with shuriken for Haitaka to then wipe out, or Haitaka rallying her Defense so she can take on the Ninja squad and Saizo. Then we got to the end of the map, and Defense Daddy squared off against Lobster Lord one-on-one.

pJyUdsa.jpg

He declawed the lobster in two rounds of combat. Azura DID sing for him, and therefore was close enough to support him in battle for round two, but it didn't make a difference because Haitaka dodged Ryoma's Vantage strike and finished him off neatly.

Who needs to Rally Defense when a good offense is the best defense? I'm even tempted to give him some Boots, but then it'll be tough to buy him in my Revelation file.

I've hereby sworn to make sure Haitaka squares off against Takumi and Sakura down the line so he can go 4/4 against Hoshidan Royals, and he's definitely going to land the final hit against the final boss.

So I ask you, the community, what else should Defense Daddy Haitaka accomplish as the chosen Defender of Nohr? And when he's ready to promote, should he hone his naginata mastery further as a Spear Master, or add deadly magic and Rend Heaven to his repetoire as a Basara?

Edited by Anomalocaris

I know a lot of people use Haitaka just for Rally Defense, but the dude is seriously one of the best combat foot units on Conquest. Mine capped strength at 35 while like level 9 promoted it was ridiculous. He's like a faster and stronger version of Oboro that is a tad bit frailer, but has better skills. For OP, have him tank Hinata's goon squad on the great wall chapter, and have him go full offense as a Spear Master.

It's so great to see that random dude you killed instead of capturing because you thought he was worthless.

I am impressed really.

Have him be Basara and switch to Spear Master, that's what I'd do at least just to get Rend Heaven and Quixotic

Yeah, it's a tough call. Spear Master is probably better for him statistically, but Basara has cool skills and having more attack options is never bad even if his Magic is suboptimal.

I might promote him to Basara first then switch to Spear Master at 15, but that might skew his stats away from the ideal Spear Master too much...

Edited by Anomalocaris

I don't even think he needs Rend Heaven to kill things, and relying on procs to kill is really unreliable. He has really high strength and will mostly likely double with a speed tonic. Quixotic just kills his avoid too. E tomes suck, and they suck even harder when you have no magic and barely a magic growth. Since it sounds like you're using reward bonuses, He can one shot a lot of shit with Effie's lance. Unless you're fighting Generals or something really tanky, I think he'd do more damage with one shot of a javelin than two shots of fire magic.

will he retain his Green color scheme if you reclass him to Spear Master?

Sadly, no. I just promoted him now and he's generic.

He's super-powerful, though. I'd like to snag an Aether scroll from Vanguard Dawn, but I don't know how difficult it'll be at this level.

Sadly, no. I just promoted him now and he's generic.

He's super-powerful, though. I'd like to snag an Aether scroll from Vanguard Dawn, but I don't know how difficult it'll be at this level.

Should be doable, if everyone else can keep up with Haitaka. The dude deserves it IMO.

while i never use Haitaka threw out the game because i mostly change class MU to spear fighter, he's always been a fantastic unit for the few chapters i do use him in.

perhaps I'll be a cavalier on my lunatic run just to keep him in my party (and to be able to use yato)

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

Should be doable, if everyone else can keep up with Haitaka. The dude deserves it IMO.

That's a very big if.

while i never use Haitaka threw out the game because i mostly change class MU to spear fighter, he's always been a fantastic unit for the few chapters i do use him in.

perhaps I'll be a cavalier on my lunatic run just to keep him in my party (and to be able to use yato)

I decided to be a Bow Knight this run instead of a boring ol' Nohr Noble like I was last time. It's fun and still keeps Yato.

Edit: Even when he's not trying to be badass, Haitaka is badass. Kotaro dodged everything Kaze, Effie, Charlotte, and Xander threw against him, but then Haitaka stepped up and immediately took him down in a critical hit.

TnvKsaA.jpg

Edited by Anomalocaris

Watching Moogleboss's random reclass run, half his team got Spear Fighter at one point or another and having access to Seal Defense is just that good in Conquest. If you're not making Corrin a Spear Fighter yourself, you're not getting Seal Defense without Haitaka. The fact he's a pretty decent tank means he can basically take the lumps and wreck everyone else's Defense so the rest of the group can mop up, with the option to also shore up everyone else's Defense. It's also helpful to not be leaning entirely on Effie and Camilla (and possibly Corrin) for good early bulk.

His long-term growths leave his defenses a little questionable by the end, but at least he'll hit hard and not get doubled and his HP growth works. At that point you're nearing Rallyman and can swap. Haven't tried Kumagera as a tank, but dual Counters and 75%/65% HP/Def growth on a unit with 1-2 range looks quite impressive. His Speed is awful but at least he's got a good base and Darting Blow.

Haitaka did not face either of the bosses in Chapter 18, but he did break off from the main group by his lonesome to choke an ingress point that some Paladin reinforcements spawned at, taking them all on unassisted.

I think I'll give him a Beast Killer for 19, unless you think I should let someone else face the brunt of the Kitsune clan.

...Nah, it's gotta be Haitaka.

I really hope they keep the generic/boss recruitment feature in future games. I guess they'd never do stuff like giving them generic supports since they likely don't want minor characters surpassing the main cast, but there's always the potential for a few surprises along the way.

I really hope they keep the generic/boss recruitment feature in future games. I guess they'd never do stuff like giving them generic supports since they likely don't want minor characters surpassing the main cast, but there's always the potential for a few surprises along the way.

I wouldn't mind if the capturable bosses didn't have supports, but I'd like it if they at least had battle voice lines, level up quotes, and could appear in My Castle facilities/idling around.

omg i love seeing more people discover the magic that is Haitaka. I sing his praises to the heavens. He whomps, plain and simple. Give him a Guard Naginata to use with that Dual Naginata, and OMG. He'll tank and things will die.

So I ask you, the community, what else should Defense Daddy Haitaka accomplish as the chosen Defender of Nohr? And when he's ready to promote, should he hone his naginata mastery further as a Spear Master, or add deadly magic and Rend Heaven to his repetoire as a Basara?

He really loves Lancefaire, so i think reclassing him to Basara after getting Lancefaire would be good. That way Lancefaire + Rend Heaven = more things dying.

omg i love seeing more people discover the magic that is Haitaka. I sing his praises to the heavens. He whomps, plain and simple. Give him a Guard Naginata to use with that Dual Naginata, and OMG. He'll tank and things will die.

He really loves Lancefaire, so i think reclassing him to Basara after getting Lancefaire would be good. That way Lancefaire + Rend Heaven = more things dying.

You can get a Guard Naginata in Conquest?

This thread wasn't really needed to confirm that Haitaka is a god. I didn't use him in combat as much as you did, of course, but I am actively upset whenever Corrin Dragon Fangs him or Jakob scores a crit while I'm trying to soften him up for the capture, which is more often than not.

I'd go Basara first for Rend Heaven, then Spearmaster the rest of the way through. Saves a good amount of gold in place of going Spearmaster first just to dip in Basara later.

This thread wasn't really needed to confirm that Haitaka is a god. I didn't use him in combat as much as you did, of course, but I am actively upset whenever Corrin Dragon Fangs him or Jakob scores a crit while I'm trying to soften him up for the capture, which is more often than not.

I'd go Basara first for Rend Heaven, then Spearmaster the rest of the way through. Saves a good amount of gold in place of going Spearmaster first just to dip in Basara later.

He's been a Spearmaster for a while now, so too late.

I could just use Ghostly Gold if I run low on cash, though... :P

Yeah through Visit/Battle Points. You can get a Dual Naginata hella early the same way.

I have the Dual Naginata but I somehow missed the Guard one. Or maybe I overlooked it.

Either way he doesn't need it at the moment, he's tanking just fine. He took on most of the Kitsune with a Beast Killer.

• 2 weeks later...