So the Pokemon XYZ anime is getting large amounts of flack recently.

IceBrand

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

woah how many leagues does he fight in? the last one and only one i saw was against harrison's blazkien and his charizard and he lost that one.

Kanto - Top 16 - lost to Ritchie

Orange - Winner

Johto - Top 8 - lost to Harrison

Hoenn - Top 8 - lost to Tyson

Sinnoh - Top 4 - lost to Tobias

Unova - Top 8 - lost to Cameron

Kalos - Runner-Up - lost to Alain

Yeah. And he completed the Battle Frontier challenge(Hoenn/Third Generation saga).

And then this happens immediately afterwards.

I love how everything but the video title is Japanese (My phone YouTube app is Japanese).

I should watch some old Pokémon episodes in Japanese.

people are ridiculously salty for no reason

I mean, he hasn't won a major league in 20 years, people just want to see him win something lol.

But hey, keep having your hipster opinions, seems to be all you're good at doing.

I mean, he hasn't won a major league in 20 years, people just want to see him win something lol.

But hey, keep having your hipster opinions, seems to be all you're good at doing.

literally who are you again

i don't see when you suddenly became the expert of the things I enjoy

Should I pull the "I speak Japanese and you should all bow down to me"?

sure, because being fluently bilingual is a cool thing that deserves props

especially since you know a language outside of the Latin alphabet

but to put this into perspective: ash will be battling and probably beating lysandre and yet people are mad that greninja just couldn't beat charizard? a thing that actually makes sense to complain about is that pikachu and greninja got all the wins while noivern and goodra obtained absolutely nothing of import

Edited by Enigmar

And this is why Ash should have been retired as a main character when Johto began and instead we get focus on new protagonists who grow and gain competence as the plot advances each region.

Oh wait!

Seeing Ash not objectively get better at all in 20 years is one of the main reason I don't watch the anime anymore. I loved it in the 90s, but it's silly that he's still the Cleveland Browns of Pokemon trainers.

Seeing Ash not objectively get better at all in 20 years is one of the main reason I don't watch the anime anymore. I loved it in the 90s, but it's silly that he's still the Cleveland Browns of Pokemon trainers.

Yeah this is why Special is the superior spinoff.

Ash literally is a character I want to punch for his idiocy. Not as much as Corrin but still.

do you people actually watch the anime?

Ash hasn't won, but that doesn't mean that he hasn't improved or that he needs to be replaced

Top 16 in Kanto. Team being Pikachu, Charizard, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and Pidgeotto. Muk and Kingler existed as reserves that were just called back to win effortlessly.

Top 2 in Kalos. Team being Pikachu, Greninja, Talonflame, Goodra, Hawlucha, and Noivern.

This is clear progression, whether you think it's enough or not.

Ash isn't even an idiot. He's perky and kind but that doesn't make him stupid. Ash was portrayed as less bright in Unova, but it wasn't to diminish his accomplishments. It was to replace Team Rocket as comic relief since they became super serious.

Special is absolutely the worst Pokemon medium because there is no concrete main character. People who want Ash to be replaced need to realize that his replacements would just be clones. May wouldn't have been allowed to be the Coordinator she was if she had been the main character. She'd likely have become a ditzy Ash clone.

And you can guarantee that every main character would have Pikachu. Whether you're irrationally biased against Pikachu or not, it's still the mascot of this series and having the anime without Pikachu would be like having Sailor Moon without Usagi herself.

Edited by Enigmar

I didn't mind Ash losing the Kanto/Indigo league. I stopped watching for the most part in Johto, but they could have had Ash return to the Indigo league after Johto to actually win. He was still a dumb trainer in Kanto and didn't even earn more than half his badges, but he could have taken the lesson in Kanto to grow as a character in Johto. The fact that's he's stagnated over 6 Generations to always finish in the top 8 +/- a tier is an annoying preservation of the status quo. He's just a carpetbagger tourney entrant now.

not to mention that Alain's team was lit

Like, his team was Charizard X, Tyranitar, Metagross, Weavile, Bisharp, and Unfezant. If Ash had actually won against this team, it would be even more of a stretch

Edit: and to hammer this in further: Alain has lost on-screen once in the entire series. He's beaten Malva. He's gone toe-to-toe with Steven. He's fought Rayquaza and the Primals. He's beaten Trevor and Remo and Astrid. Only Siebold has beaten Alain so far.

Edited by Enigmar

Daily reminder that pokemon is a cartoon show aimed at japanese kids that eventually grow out of it and a new generation of japanese kids picks it up, which is why ash can never actually win, why pikachu isn't hilariously op, and why he always seems to start from zero, and it's always all basically the same thing

And this is why Ash should have been retired as a main character when Johto began and instead we get focus on new protagonists who grow and gain competence as the plot advances each region.

Oh wait!

That's kinda what they did in the Digimon. Sorry past me, Pokemon wasn't the superior anime.

Well, back then we had the Sabrina Ark who was so delightfully screwed up, so it wasn't that bad (And then Meowth's Film Noir Origin Story).

That's kinda what they did in the Digimon. Sorry past me, Pokemon wasn't the superior anime.

Well, back then we had the Sabrina Ark who was so delightfully screwed up, so it wasn't that bad (And then Meowth's Film Noir Origin Story).

I was actually talking about what makes Special the superior spinoff, but okay.

Daily reminder that pokemon is a cartoon show aimed at japanese kids that eventually grow out of it and a new generation of japanese kids picks it up, which is why ash can never actually win, why pikachu isn't hilariously op, and why he always seems to start from zero, and it's always all basically the same thing

thanks now i don't have to write all this

What was the point of giving Ash a special snowflake Sync Pokemon if he can't win anything important with it

What's the point of the journey narrative, if the protagonist never learns anything or gains anything from the journey?