Is it possible to get fourteen units to level 20/20 in Path of Radiance for the Save Data Transfer?

Irony

I'm on the Prisoner Rescue chapter in Path of Radiance, and I kinda know who I want to use & who I want to get to level 20 for the save data transfer. I'm just wondering- is it possible to get all dozen of them to that level, and if not, who should I cut?

Edit: This is the list of those that I want to train, and the reasons why:

Because he's the Lord:

Ike

Because I like these characters:

Mist

Rhys

Elincia

Rolf

Oscar

Boyd

Gatrie

Mia

Because these characters are useful:

Soren

Ilyana

Jill

Sothe

Nephenee

These two characters are backups, just in case it's possible to train more than 14 units to max level. I like them, but I've heard that they are difficult to train:

Astrid

Tormod

Edited by Irony

I believe so, but make sure to do it on Normal. I remember I was able to get my entire active team transferred over, which was about a dozen.

I wouldn't bother maxing Sothe, he's an XP sponge, and he's doesn't really benefit that much (His Skill and Speed are already 20 in RD). Don't bother with Tormod, either. His RD availability is terrible. Astrid's actually not that hard to level in PoR, due to Paragon, but she kind of sucks in RD, so I wouldn't bother maxing her.

If you want to prioritize units, definitely max Jill, Ilyana, and Nephenee. The G Mercs are already OP in RD, so they don't really need the boost that much, so feel free to drop a few, if you are worried about stretching yourself too thin. (I find Rolf gets overshadowed by Shinon in RD.)

Save most of your BEXP for Elincia since she has only 3 chapters in FE9 to gain levels. Most of the GM's will reach those levels on their own, same with Jill. Be sure to give all of your mages staves on promotion so they can spam (plus, the bonus to their eventual RD staff levels can help). I agree with not bothering with Sothe and Tormod. Rolf as well, as he is a ridiculous burden in FE9, and Shinon is far superior (even without any transfers). If you're focusing on Rolf that is less BEXP for others since that's pretty much the only way he'll be 20/20 when you have others to train as well. Astrid if you truly want to, as she has Paragon and will gain levels quicker. She should be bottom priority, though.

Here's how I see utilizing these units the best:

Priority combat, little to no BEXP:

Ike

Boyd

Oscar

Jill

Gatrie

Mostly combat/staff usage, moderate use of BEXP:

Mia

Nephenee

Rhys

Mist

Soren

Ilyana

Mostly BEXP, little to no combat/staves:

Elincia

Also, you probably will anyway, but abuse the heck out of topping off units with BEXP to manipulate RNG to get good levels. If you can, try to end a chapter with 80-99 XP left in the gauge on units. Hitting 20/20 only really means anything if you're capping stats. Save your stat boost items for the end, to see if any units are close to maxing, but need 1-2 more points to hit their max.

First question: Which difficulty are you playing?

If it's NM or HM, it's very unlikely to max out the level of 14 units. I normally can max out ~7-8 characters in these difficulties.

Elincia starts at level 1 very late, so you have to do stave abusing with her (physics, fortify, hammerne, rescue).

Astrid has paragon (=doubled experience), so it's easy to max out her level.

This thread includes a list about the units, who should be brought to maximum level in PoR.

Even if it's made for FE10's hard mode, most of these transfer boost suggestions also apply to lower difficulties.

Save most of your BEXP for Elincia since she has only 3 chapters in FE9 to gain levels.

Mostly BEXP, little to no combat/staves:

Elincia

I would use minimal BEXP on Elincia, or anyone who can use a staff. Elincia comes with an excellent A rank in staves to boot. Ashera Staff, Physic, Hammerne, Rescue and Fortify gives ridiculous EXP per use. You can also spam Ward or heal chip damage in end game or when farming exp on bosses.

If you have a PAL copy or late reprint of RD, play on easy mode for a ridiculous bonus in available BEXP as well. On Easy you probably can abuse for 14 characters. But out of your list of low priority units, Rhys and Mist do not really gain much out of a transfer as both of them are utility units who do not want to see combat, especially in RD where their respective classes are not very good. I would abuse level ups with BEXP for Boyd for speed and strength for Mia, as they could use the stats in RD. I would prioritize getting many capped stats on Jill, as she is one of the best units on an otherwise weak team, though. Ilyana is not too bad either, as she could really use a small boost to her magic and speed base if you can get them. Out of your favoured units, Jill, Nephenee and Ilyana will get the most out of transfers due to some scenarios where they will need to pull a lot of weight. However Ike, Boyd, Oscar, Mia, and Soren would appreciate the boost.

I wouldn't bother with transfers at all for Sothe, Rhys, Mist, Astrid or Tormod since the first three don't need extra stats to do their job and the latter two are unfortunately bad in RD.

Elincia has rather slim chances of capping anything except Magic unless you give her stat boosters and/or rig levels, so you might still want to feed her a bit of BEXP. Rezzy's advice (getting her to 80+ EXP during combat, then abuse BEXP) applies, of course, but unfortunately, you don't have that many chapters to level Elincia.

On Easy and Normal, you can buy Ward staves before chapter 17 (and only before chapter 17), so you can actually boost both Rhys and Mist to 20/20 easily without taking any EXP away from your other units. But since both of them are pretty terrible at combat in RD (why did they have to remove magic swords? :/ ), you don't gain that much either - mostly slightly stronger heals in a part where your units dominate anyway.

The only reason I was thinking Sothe was that he'd make the first part of Radiant Dawn, plus the Dawn Brigade chapters in Part 3 a lot easier.

I'm playing on normal difficulty at the moment. Ok, I'll need to look at the thread and see who is best to max out for the save transfer. I guess I'll judge who to drop based on who doesn't get the good level ups? And I don't want to use Shinon ever (I dislike the guy) and I'd rather use Rolf and Astrid.

Um... no? Sothe is amazing in Part 1 and 3; you'd really shoot yourself in the knee by ignoring him. I don't think his growths are bad, either. He'll cap Str and Skl early, but with the BEXP mechanism, that's not really a bad thing. He will fall behind in the lategame, sure, but that's more because of his rather late story promotion and because knives suck.

Still, he's not worth investing into, but that's because the transfers make him worse unless you shove all your stat boosters down his throat (or BEXP abuse constantly). Unless the main site is wrong (I haven't tested this myself), he transfers every single stat, even if it's actually lower than his normal base stat. And on average, that would actually decrease most of his stats.

So really, you're better off saving your stat boosters for characters that might end up just below their caps. Jill, for example, might appreciate the little boost in Str, Skl, Spd and/or Def, since her 20/20 averages in these stats are close or at least close-ish to her caps.

And I don't want to use Shinon ever (I dislike the guy) and I'd rather use Rolf and Astrid.

That shouldn't be too big of a problem. Astrid suffers from bad availability and from Paragon not being exclusive to her (and Geoffrey) anymore, but her caps are actually quite nice for the endgame. Her stat distribution isn't as good as in PoR, but two or three transfers might actually be helpful in that regard.

Rolf is more or less outclassed by Shinon (they end up about the same, but Shinon has a big EXP lead), but with the possible exception of the two healers, all of Greil's mercenaries should perform just fine thoughout the game.

I barely maxed 11 on normal mode.

Sothe should always be maxed as he only takes 900 bexp and gets more out of it than anyone.

It also depends on who you're maxing, since as stated, you can staff abuse on mages and healers, and some units require more XP than others. If I remember correctly, I was able to max this team out on Normal. It's not an ideal team, but what I went with and was able to max.

Ike

Soren*

Oscar

Boyd

Ilyana*

Mist*

Rolf (I know he's a waste in RD, but I like him.)

Marcia

Nephenee

Kieran

Jill

Astrid (I know she's a waste, too, but she's easy to level.)

It involved not letting any Laguz or Titania get any kills unless absolutely necessary.

*Almost all Staff XP once available.

It also depends on who you're maxing, since as stated, you can staff abuse on mages and healers, and some units require more XP than others. If I remember correctly, I was able to max this team out on Normal. It's not an ideal team, but what I went with and was able to max.

Ike

Soren*

Oscar

Boyd

Ilyana*

Mist*

Rolf (I know he's a waste in RD, but I like him.)

Marcia

Nephenee

Kieran

Jill

Astrid (I know she's a waste, too, but she's easy to level.)

It involved not letting any Laguz or Titania get any kills unless absolutely necessary.

*Almost all Staff XP once available.

Trust me- Titania didn't get a single experience point until Despair and Hope (I needed her in that map). I directed my Laguz Allies in Gallia away from all of the battles. I don't plan to waste exp on them. :) And Rolf wouldn't be a waste- I don't plan on using Shinon.

Laguz get way more exp. in FE9 than in FE10 and Lethe and Mordecai are really good.

However they wouldn't benefit much from transfer boosts, since they're still unusable in FE10 in the long run because of their awful durability.

Lethe has an interesting support with Jill. But if you support Mist with her, it works too.

Also it's very unlikely to max any of Titania's stats aside of skill (a pointless stat for a transfer).

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

Laguz get way more exp. in FE9 than in FE10 and Lethe and Mordecai are really good.

However they wouldn't benefit much from transfer boosts, since they're still unusable in FE10 in the long run because of their awful durability.

Lethe has an interesting support with Jill. But if you support Mist with her, it works too.

Also it's very unlikely to max any of Titania's stats aside of skill (a pointless stat for a transfer).

I've used Lethe in a few runs mostly for her Support, but I'm not found of Laguz as units.

Lethe and Mordecai are pretty good units in PoR but bad candidates for transfers due to their gigantic caps that they will just never reach (except maybe str), but it doesn't seem like OP was going to use them anyway. Also I think while Lethe is not good in RD past mandatory part 2 contribution due to the awful cat gauge, Mordecai is actually pretty good since 32 base defence while transformed is ridiculous and Smite will always be great.

Of course it's possible. It's tedious as hell but if you really want that many or more units to reach level 20/20, you can just resort to boss abusing (attack the boss for the EXP, let the boss regain health until it can survive, rinse and repeat).

Edited by Sirius

• 4 weeks later...

It's VERY difficult and tedious, but since a lot of bosses don't have 2 range weapons, you can endlessly grind off of them with 2 range weapons of your own. I got Rolf, Astrid, Nephenee, and Jill tons of levels doing this. Could have done more, but I got bored.

IIRC you can also simply have characters unequip weapons and tank blows with their face for a small amount of EXP. Sure, the enemies weapons will eventually break, but you'll get extra EXP.

As stated. Possible? Yes. Not gonna make freemium games look pleasurable by comparison? No.

IIRC you can also simply have characters unequip weapons and tank blows with their face for a small amount of EXP. Sure, the enemies weapons will eventually break, but you'll get extra EXP.

As stated. Possible? Yes. Not gonna make freemium games look pleasurable by comparison? No.

Ena's breath weapon will never break and she sits on a throne, making her the ideal candidate to grind levels on.

• 3 weeks later...

Ena's breath weapon will never break and she sits on a throne, making her the ideal candidate to grind levels on.

Noted. I'm on Chapter 19, and I'll be prepared for this. :)