Worst Combat Units in PoR?

NJ7009

82 members have voted

1. 1. Worst Combat unit in PoR?

I want to attempt a sort of challenge run for PoR where I use the bad units in an attempt to make the game harder. I am not allowing for BEXP use with the exception of Ike (who is banned except for certain battles - such as the early game before I get my units and the final boss - and possibly to meatshield in early chapters).

The top three/four with the most votes I will go on to use.

Reyson can't fight so I have given the guy a chance and not put him on the poll :P

Edited by NJ7009

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even the worst of units in PoR aren't that bad. Sothe is probably the worst, since he can't promote, has the lowest caps in the game, and Volke is just superior in every way.

Sothe and Volke are both pretty bad tbqh.

Eh, Volke is pretty good. He's got a relatively low Strength cap, but should hit it easily. His Skill and Speed are great. His only drawback is low defenses, if enemies are actually able to hit him.

Volke's problem is his weapon type, robbing him of any hopes of fighting things well. He's not meant to be a combat unit at all, but being able to take a tiny bit more punishment than Sothe while thieving is fairly useful.

Sothe clearly has the worst combat stats in the game. At least stealing is good in PoR. Mist is also pretty bad because of her low strength even after promotion, but she is meant to be a healer anyway.

in addition to the thieves: Lucia and Bastian are both bad. Janaff and Ulki are quite poor overall as well, though have flying utility. Shinon is absolutely wretched, outside his temporary crutch use early. Rolf has an awful start though becomes decent (if never good enough to offset how bad that start is, since sniper is such a bad class in PoR). Devdan has generally poor overall stats so his time in the sun is pretty much limited to his joining chapter (for which he can only participate towards the end) and maaaaybe parts of Day Breaks as the rest of your army promotes and surpasses him, but he is fine during that small window at least.

So probably one of those.

Hmm it seems that the archers and thieves are considered the worst units on the whole so far as well as Mist. I think an archer and thief only run would be interesting to try...

Mist is poor as an offensive unit due to low Strength, unless you get lucky (I had Mist cap Strength on my last playthough) and for whatever reason getting swords, instead of tomes, like a good Valkyrie. Being able to heal and having good movement makes her a good unit overall, though.

Sothe is the worst for joining late at level 1.

Also I find Rhys pretty bad since he's slow and he hasn't enough strength to use any light tome without AS penalty.

Rolf is meh, but still better than the two above him.

Mist is also pretty bad because of her low strength even after promotion, but she is meant to be a healer anyway.

You could ignore this problem, if you give her the two obtainable arm scrolls in this game to bring her to sword level B to make her use sonic swords at once.
However it's still the question, if she has enough strength to use it without AS penalty.

You could ignore this problem, if you give her the two obtainable arm scrolls in this game to bring her to sword level B to make her use sonic swords at once.

However it's still the question, if she has enough strength to use it without AS penalty.

That makes her pretty decent, but the fact that she needs those items in the first place highlights that she's not that great, and those Arm Scrolls are in high demand in PoR. I usually end up forging an Iron Sword for Mist, if I use her.

I agree with Rhys being subpar. He's got okay Magic, but his Skill, Speed, and Defense always turn out abysmally for me.

That makes her pretty decent, but the fact that she needs those items in the first place highlights that she's not that great, and those Arm Scrolls are in high demand in PoR. I usually end up forging an Iron Sword for Mist, if I use her.

I never ever give Mist swords and save my arm scrolls for other people who make better use of them.

FE9 is very stingy with them unlike the sequel.

If you are going to use the 3-4 most voted characters, it might be better to allowing multiple answers for the pool. I mean Sothe unambiguously got the top spot the bag due to knives and low caps. But since he is such a magnet for votes, the other spots are bound to be pretty random, like Titania currently.

Anyway, as long as the poll works as it does now, I am voting for Mia. By the standards of this game she is pretty frail and speed isn't that useful if your hits aren't very hard to begin with. Being limited to swords doesn't help her much either because of their low power, a lack of ranged weapons and because lances are very common.

Edited by BrightBow

If you are going to use the 3-4 most voted characters, it might be better to allowing multiple answers for the pool. I mean Sothe unambiguously got the top spot the bag due to knives and low caps. But since he is such a magnet for votes, the other spots are bound to be pretty random, like Titania currently.

Anyway, as long as the poll works as it does now, I am voting for Mia. By the standards of this game she is pretty frail and speed isn't that useful if your hits aren't very hard to begin with. Being limited to swords doesn't help her much either because of their low power, a lack of ranged weapons and because lances are very common.

Titania's bad? She's arguable the best Jeigan in the series (not counting games that allow for grinding), and the only drawback she has is being an XP hog early on.

At least getting two votes will help balance it out a bit, since Sothe won (lost?) in a landslide, here.

Arms Scrolls are in high demand in PoR? Really? That's news to me. Who is there that really pines for one? Because I got nothing.

Arms Scrolls are in high demand in PoR? Really? That's news to me. Who is there that really pines for one? Because I got nothing.

The ubiquity of forges pretty much means Mist is the premiere candidate for one tbqh

The ubiquity of forges pretty much means Mist is the premiere candidate for one tbqh

I like using them on mages, since each school is its own weapon category.

I changed the poll to allow multiple votes :) sorry for that - still getting used to the forum

Didn't seem to work for me, I'm afraid...

Anyway, I changed my vote to Shinon because of the challenge run context. Sothe is obviously the weaker combat unit, but I always found Shinon (when he rejoins) to be the most pointless unit to use in PoR.

Titania's bad? She's arguable the best Jeigan in the series (not counting games that allow for grinding), and the only drawback she has is being an XP hog early on.

She's awesome. But back when I made that post, she was the only one besides Sothe to have any votes.

Edited by BrightBow

She's awesome. But back when I made that post, she was the only one besides Sothe to have any votes.

That was more directed at whoever voted for her, rather than you.