If you could bring a franchise back, which ones would be?

Rapier

Know any franchises that ended long ago/didn't continue for whatever reason? Do you wish any of them would continue?

From the ones I can think about, Rune Factory comes to mind instantly. I really like the series and its premise. It would even receive a sequel due to the excellent sales that RF4 got, but the developpers' company got bankrupt, and despite claiming that somehow it would not interrupt the making of future RF games, we never got any word about sequels. Lord of Magna is the only game they made after that, and it has very little similarity with RF.

Mega Man also counts, I think. I doubt Capcom is ressurrecting it after such a long time without creating a new game (collections do not count), and I'm ignoring bad quality mobile games altogether. I'd personally like a new Mega Man ZX game, or even a new Mega Man X game.

Castlevania is not dead, but it looks like the Metroidvania style is. I miss it.

Edited by Rapier

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody Roar

As a person that's generally luke warm with fighters then has to get used to them, BR4 instantly took a spot in my heart. It's so innovative, and just a ton of fun to mess around in. Transformations had their own health bar, and both bars were your total life. You could go through a fight transformed and risk losing the ability to use it.

Langrisser.

"But it's on the 3DS--"

Langrisser.

But seriously: Growlanser. Not that I think it should be going on for a long time, because it's resting peacefully, but just one more game, just one more.

Edited by Soledai

Ogre Battle.

I know everyone seems to love Final Fantasy Tactics to death, but I dare say FFT killed off the Ogre Battle franchise. There was so much more I wanted to know about the Ogre Battle world, and would have loved to see a modern version of Ogre Battle. This includes the SNES & N64 gameplay as well as the tactics variants. The designs, the music, the story... Ogre Battle 64 is my favorite game of all time. It would be awesome to see a "modern" Ogre Battle 64, but I guess that will never happen...

Other games I would like to see return is Grandia (I only played the second, but I loved the battle system) and Skies of Arcadia. Granted, Skies of Arcadia can be considered a one off since one explores the entire world, but if Bravely Default can get a sequel, maybe Skies can do the same thing.

I would also say the Command and Conquer franchise, but aspiring modders and fans seem to have those bases covered. I don't think I can trust the big companies to do the games justice after EA screwed everything up.

Warcraft RTS, specifically Warcraft IV. Let Warcraft IV continue where Warcraft III left off and leave the WoW and expanded universe stuff out of it. Then again, Blizzard's stories have been getting weaker over the past few years, not to mention the over reliance on lore outside of the games themselves to explain events. Still, I'll watch Pixar's Blizzard's Overwatch shorts.

Advance Wars. I would like to see its glorious return. While the Days of Ruin artstyle I had to adapt to, the gameplay and editor was amazing. I want to go back being a kid and messing around in the editor, making up little stories on why these conflicts take place and stuff...

Langrisser.

"But it's on the 3DS--"

Langrisser.

But seriously: Growlanser. Not that I think it should be going on for a long time, because it's resting peacefully, but just one more game, just one more.

Is there a problem with the 3DS Langrisser game? I was thinking on getting it since I'm interested on the series (the most that I know about it comes from Langrisser 2 iirc, which I've read an entire LP about 4 years ago).

I was going to say SaGa, but it looks like the series is already sorta in the process of coming back, with three recent releases (of new games; not the DS remakes) in the 2010s.

Gonna second Mega Man, also.

I kinda want there to be a third Chrono game, but I dunno if I'm allowed to want that seeing as I haven't even played Cross yet (although I do intend to).

Dunno how many people even know what this is, because I pretty much never hear people talking about it, but I enjoyed what I played of Crystalis, even if it's a pretty standard top-down 2D action RPG. It'd be neat to see a sequel/reboot of that maybe.

Even though I really adore the MOTHER/EarthBound series, I probably wouldn't want it to actually come back in the sense of there being all-new games, because I think the series is better off having ended where it made sense for it to end as opposed to being needlessly drawn out for profit. I wouldn't mind there being (faithful) remakes of the trilogy, though; I really wanna see EarthBound Beginnings with not only preexisting field encounters, but Mother 3's musical combo system, as well, since music is already important to the game's plot.

Edited by Topaz Light

Is there a problem with the 3DS Langrisser game? I was thinking on getting it since I'm interested on the series (the most that I know about it comes from Langrisser 2 iirc, which I've read an entire LP about 4 years ago).

My mini-rant from another thread

I do want to take a minute to say that the graphical choices aren't the only problem with that game.

-The controls are ass-backwards and cannot be remapped

-They have that annoying one word/grunt instead of actual words. Either full voices or none, that shit was annoying in FE, it's annoying here, and everywhere else

-The unit balance is microscopic, but not totally non-existent. But so far: Horses > everything, even the spear units designed to counter horses

- You don't get a shop, nor can you equip anything early game, unlike in every Langrisser game prior. The game forces the Langrisser on Ares in the first stage, thus practically encouraging you to solo the early game with him. *see above balance*

- Faction names are really elementary, to an offensively bad extent. "Light Army, Dark Army, Imperial Army" Are you serious?

*Example of good faction names from Der Langrisser: "Kalxath army, Rayguard Empire, Bozel forces/Chaos army, Elwin army"

They're somewhat grievances than actual problems, but I think bad gameplay and balance are enough of a problem on their own. This game gets a lot of flak for the SD battle animations, but I think they're a bit charming.

The only real compliment you'd find about the game is the OST

EDIT: I don't dislike the game, but those are issues I take with it, I'm enjoying it regardless.

Edited by Soledai

Golden Sun, especially since GS3 ended on a cliffhanger. It's sad that it died immediately after being resurrected as a franchise.

Edited by Rezzy

I do want to take a minute to say that the graphical choices aren't the only problem with that game.

-They have that annoying one word/grunt instead of actual words. Either full voices or none, that shit was annoying in FE, it's annoying here, and everywhere else

-The unit balance is microscopic, but not totally non-existent. But so far: Horses > everything, even the spear units designed to counter horses

- You don't get a shop, nor can you equip anything early game, unlike in every Langrisser game prior. The game forces the Langrisser on Ares in the first stage, thus practically encouraging you to solo the early game with him. *see above balance*

- Faction names are really elementary, to an offensively bad extent. "Light Army, Dark Army, Imperial Army" Are you serious?

*Example of good faction names from Der Langrisser: "Kalxath army, Rayguard Empire, Bozel forces/Chaos army, Elwin army"

They're somewhat grievances than actual problems, but I think bad gameplay and balance are enough of a problem on their own. This game gets a lot of flak for the SD battle animations, but I think they're a bit charming.

EDIT: I don't dislike the game, but those are issues I take with it, I'm enjoying it regardless.

Not to mention the chibi battle artstyle and the girls are looking like they barely put their clothes on kinda hampers the game real bad. The battles just look real boring from what I see and I can't believe a reboot of Langrisser ended up being like this.

I'd love to see another Rune Factory as I'm a fan of the series when I branched off from Harvest Moon which I still also love but just doesn't hit the right spot anymore since I feel it's lost some of it's focus from what it was before. It used to be about farming and your life with your villagers, you weren't the architect/smelter/miner/tailor/creator of the village since other people did that for you. You payed them money and they got around to doing so while crafting was more for gift giving which was its purpose or gaining more money.

As for anything else, Radiata Stories felt pretty cool to me and it getting something again would be nice.

Edited by Raguna

Viewtiful Joe; Platinum Games did a great job with Wonderful 101 and even managed to get Silvia in the game but it would be nice to have another Viewtiful Joe game to finish the trilogy since it was hinted at the end of the first and second game. I think Hideki Kamiya would still be on board for making it someday.

Golden Sun; My first G.S. game was Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. Camelot did a good job at covering the story of the other two games in this one. Although the story for the game itself could've been better it was still a solid title that could definitely use a follow up game.

Edited by Sarracenia

I would give my right hand for a TWEWY sequel.

To add onto this, if his right hand doesn't suffice, I'll give my left foot just for a TWEWY sequel.

Also, I'd like to see another F Zero Game. That would be nice.

Advance Wars. I would like to see its glorious return. While the Days of Ruin artstyle I had to adapt to, the gameplay and editor was amazing. I want to go back being a kid and messing around in the editor, making up little stories on why these conflicts take place and stuff...

Pretty much this.

I know Dual Strike wasn't balanced as all heck and Days of Ruin was a completely different throw off, but if they ever returned to the Dual Strike story, while retaining some of the mechanics from Days of Ruin, I'd be up for it. The map editor is still amazing to this very day, and I love going back to Advance Wars and playing my own maps.

Ogre Battle.

I know everyone seems to love Final Fantasy Tactics to death, but I dare say FFT killed off the Ogre Battle franchise. There was so much more I wanted to know about the Ogre Battle world, and would have loved to see a modern version of Ogre Battle. This includes the SNES & N64 gameplay as well as the tactics variants. The designs, the music, the story... Ogre Battle 64 is my favorite game of all time. It would be awesome to see a "modern" Ogre Battle 64, but I guess that will never happen...

I second this entirely, and feel much the same.

No other game plays like Ogre Battle, the closest to it was the fairly decent (imo) Yugioh The Falsebound Kingdom on the GC, but it lacked the OB complexity, it was still a fun time though.

Also at the OP, i'm pretty sure Castlevania is dead, Judgement and Lords of Shadow (The gameplay was fine mostly, but the game missed the mark in several other aspects and it was pretty clear they no longer cared about their old fanbase) were the death knell, Pachinko was the confirmation.

Edited by Jedi

Bloody Roar

As a person that's generally luke warm with fighters then has to get used to them, BR4 instantly took a spot in my heart. It's so innovative, and just a ton of fun to mess around in. Transformations had their own health bar, and both bars were your total life. You could go through a fight transformed and risk losing the ability to use it.

I agree with this so much. Bloody Roar was one of the best fighters I've played for a long time.

The other fighter franchise is one I've mentioned on another thread called Rival Schools. For it's time, it was very entertaining, all the characters were unique and I loved the art style for it. I actually think the guy that illustrates for Ace Attorney did the art for Rival Schools.

I feel like I want another Shadow Hearts because Shadow Hearts: Covenant was one of my favorite games. But then I remember that third game and I am hesitant.

Suikoden: They planned on having more games and it'd be cool for the grander story to be finished.

Ogre Battle: We need all of the chapters of the saga...so basically the same reason as Suikoden.

Mega Man: Because it's my favourite series. Preferably Mega Man Legends 3 so that he can get off of the moon already.

The World Ends With You: There's no other game like it, and it left a pretty big impact on me.

Suikoden: They planned on having more games and it'd be cool for the grander story to be finished.

Ogre Battle: We need all of the chapters of the saga...so basically the same reason as Suikoden.

Mega Man: Because it's my favourite series. Preferably Mega Man Legends 3 so that he can get off of the moon already.

The World Ends With You: There's no other game like it, and it left a pretty big impact on me.

Yeah Suikoden is another series that needs to return, Konami should just hand all its franchises to people who actually care, Arc System Works made a damn fine Contra game in Hard Corps Uprising for instance.

TWEWY looks really interesting so I'd agree on just a general "interesting type of game" dealilo, I haven't played it myself yet though, agreed once again with Ogre Battle and of course Megaman, I still want my 16-bit X9 after all :P:

Edited by Jedi

someone who also finds the New Super Mario Bros. like one word grunts annoying, I'm not alone in this world anymore!

Ah, I see. I'm going to give it a try then. Those issues don't seem like they'll affect my experience significantly.

I'd love to see another Rune Factory as I'm a fan of the series when I branched off from Harvest Moon which I still also love but just doesn't hit the right spot anymore since I feel it's lost some of it's focus from what it was before. It used to be about farming and your life with your villagers, you weren't the architect/smelter/miner/tailor/creator of the village since other people did that for you. You payed them money and they got around to doing so while crafting was more for gift giving which was its purpose or gaining more money.

To be honest, I just can't get into the newer Harvest Moon games. I think they simplified the mechanics a lot and it became more childish. I started liking Rune Factory more than Harvest Moon. It's a shame they're apparently not going to continue with it.

Also at the OP, i'm pretty sure Castlevania is dead, Judgement and Lords of Shadow (The gameplay was fine mostly, but the game missed the mark in several other aspects and it was pretty clear they no longer cared about their old fanbase) were the death knell, Pachinko was the confirmation.

I said that because technically the franchise is alive, and I didn't want to turn my post into a saudosistic rant of mine because I don't like where the franchise is going. But yeah, Lords of Shadow was pretty mediocre imo and Pachinko was facepalm worthy. I want something like Harmony of Despair (which I've yet to play, but I've seen gameplay footages of), Order of Ecclesia and Dawn of Sorrow, not a hack and slash with Shadow of the Colossus moments and an erotic fighting game. Hopefully Iga is no Inafune (despite Bloodstained being just as ambitious, what with the achievements, Iga's biggest castle and iirc multiplatforms).

--

Someone mentioned Earthbound. How could I forget it? I'd love for the series to continue. It doesn't need to take place in the same world, to leave Mother 2 and 3's worlds as they were after the end. For me, even a spiritual successor would suffice. I just want that level of dialogue and worldbuilding back.

I would give my right hand for a TWEWY sequel.

Even if giving up your right hand means you wouldn't be able to play it?

Edited by Rapier

I said that because technically the franchise is alive, and I didn't want to turn my post into a saudosistic rant of mine because I don't like where the franchise is going. But yeah, Lords of Shadow was pretty mediocre imo and Pachinko was facepalm worthy. I want something like Harmony of Despair (which I've yet to play, but I've seen gameplay footages of), Order of Ecclesia and Dawn of Sorrow. Hopefully Iga is no Inafune (despite Bloodstained being just as ambitious, what with the achievements, Iga's biggest castle and iirc multiplatforms).

People are really loving the Bloodstained demo and I have much more respect for Iga overall than Inafune, I think he knows how to allocate resources and stuff better, if his old work is anything to go by and his teams joy to work under him is anything to go by as well. In the past and such

Edited by Jedi

That demo was only available to people who helped in the Kickstarter campaign, right? Otherwise, I can't believe I've missed such a gem by not playing it already.