If you could bring a franchise back, which ones would be?

Rapier

how is mega man dead but not castlevania? not only was there that collection thing a bit back but didn't they announce that cartoon recently too?

i mean if you're gonna be selective enough to not count those things you might as well not count the castlevania pachinko machine either

A collection is a new product but not a new game on strict sense. Mega Man hasn't received a new game in many years, hence why I consider it dead. And the cartoon has nothing to do with the continuation of the game franchise, so it doesn't count.

Oh, yeah. Bomberman was also pretty neat and normally I'd ask for its return, but I've been losing interest on the franchise. It's good for playing once in a while, but that's it.

Edited by Rapier

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A collection is a new product but not a new game on strict sense. Mega Man hasn't received a new game in many years, hence why I consider it dead. And the cartoon has nothing to do with the continuation of the game franchise, so it doesn't count.

i mean if you mean strictly the games then sure

but if you're not gonna count stuff like the cartoon or collection then you're not really using the word "franchise" properly

Edited by unique

i mean if you mean strictly the games then sure

but if you're not gonna count stuff like the cartoon or collection then you're not really using the word "franchise" properly

Yeah, I guess I used the word franchise wrongly. I was referring to games but I lacked a coletive word for it, so I went with franchise without remembering it also includes movies, cartoons, toys etc.

Yeah, I guess I used the word franchise wrongly. I was referring to games but I lacked a coletive word for it, so I went with franchise without remembering it also includes movies, cartoons, toys etc.

Series would be a pretty apt word but that might not be as immediately clear what the topic is about when reading just the name in the thread list.

Edited by Jotari

Is there a problem with the 3DS Langrisser game? I was thinking on getting it since I'm interested on the series (the most that I know about it comes from Langrisser 2 iirc, which I've read an entire LP about 4 years ago).

It's...

https://youtu.be/dcLutAup7Qs?t=15m8s

...Pretty dang cringey.

As for my answer to the thread question...

Advance Wars, hands down. Days of Ruin was easily the best game in the series and I wanted to see where they'd go with the awesomely new balanced aura CO system.

Also, classic Paper Mario.

I believe Sin and Punishment should get another game... I guess Star Successor isn't that old but still...
I really liked the constant action it would provide, even though I'm not that great at the game itself.
That or a new Kid Icarus. (I don't want to wait for another 25 years a second time)

While you're at it, another Valkyria Chronicles that actually releases in the West would be nice.
(For the record I don't consider Valkyria: Azure Revolution to be a true Valkyria Chronicles game)

Edited by Masterthunderblade

Honestly, golden sun 3 is a perfect example of exactly why franchises are not generally revived with direct sequels. After 8 years, the fanbase melted away. I, for one, would have preordered dark dawn for the first 6 years or so (for reference, the only game i have ever preordered is the fates special edition). When it actualy came out, it was not worth 40$ to me. I eventualy bought it much latter for 10$ used at gamestop.

As for franchises i want to see revived, i actually usually prefer a new game with mechanics i like to a dirct sequal, simply because i like my plots tight and self contained. I would say "classic final fantasy" exept that squenix essentially did that with games like bravely default and I am setsuna. As i said, i actualy perfer a spiritual succeser to awkwardly shoehorning in the plot (i'm looking at you, FF4: the after years.)

Honestly, golden sun 3 is a perfect example of exactly why franchises are not generally revived with direct sequels. After 8 years, the fanbase melted away. I, for one, would have preordered dark dawn for the first 6 years or so (for reference, the only game i have ever preordered is the fates special edition). When it actualy came out, it was not worth 40$ to me. I eventualy bought it much latter for 10$ used at gamestop.

As for franchises i want to see revived, i actually usually prefer a new game with mechanics i like to a dirct sequal, simply because i like my plots tight and self contained. I would say "classic final fantasy" exept that squenix essentially did that with games like bravely default and I am setsuna. As i said, i actualy perfer a spiritual succeser to awkwardly shoehorning in the plot (i'm looking at you, FF4: the after years.)

Dark Dawn really wasn't much of a direct sequel. It was set thirty years after the first and barely had any overlap in the plot. It showed the world in a very different light giving both the experience of change for old players and a new beginning easily accessed for new players. The reason it didn't do well was because aside from some good ideas it was actually a pretty terrible game in most regards. As an idea as a sequel though was entirely sound (though like many I would have been happy seeing a few more of the OG characters).

Edited by Jotari

When I played dark dawn, it felt like plenty of people who were playing it were fans of the older games (this is just a gut feeling based on people saying things online). The problem is that dark dawn kinda sucks compared to the first two.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, what happened to Golden Sun? That (with Earthbound and FE) was a great franchise in the otherwise lacklustre GC/GBA-era. I can also do with some more F-Zero - that absence has been far too long.

Actually anything that's not Mario (which I am not in hell going to touch anymore), Pokémon (which just had GO and will be seeing Sun and Moon soon), or FE (which just had Fates released in Australia) really can do with more games.

Edited by henrymidfields

I'm pretty sure only me and like, five other people on the internet remember this series, but Galerians. The first one was a survival horror game where you played as an amnesiac kid with psychic powers gained through the copious use of drugs, and you could make people's heads explode. The second one was more action-y, and you couldn't explode people's heads anymore (mostly because there were no human enemies in it), but it had its charms. There was also a UMD movie adaptation of the first game, which is baffling. It was one of those series where I think there was a lot of untapped potential, especially given the interesting visual design of both games and the under-examined story elements like how much of an awful parent do you have to be to put a fail-safe for the giant evil computer overlord you built directly into your kid's brain, I mean really.

When I played dark dawn, it felt like plenty of people who were playing it were fans of the older games (this is just a gut feeling based on people saying things online). The problem is that dark dawn kinda sucks compared to the first two.

Having replayed them fairly recently without my own nostalgia filter, I honestly can't call the Golden Sun games good. If Dark Dawn is worse, then I'm not surprised that the series never got a continuation.

Edited by AzureSen

Having replayed them fairly recently without my own nostalgia filter, I honestly can't call the Golden Sun games good. If Dark Dawn is worse, then I'm not surprised that the series never got a continuation.

That's fair, I can kinda see it. I really enjoy the dungeon areas, especially the lighthouses, and I thought the general plot and world of the games was interesting. I also enjoy some of the music a lot, as I felt it had a kind of different feel than most RPGs. I do feel like the characters were pretty bland, which is kind of a problem. The battle system is not really hard at all, at least if you're not limiting yourself and imposing restrictions.

I'm not sure it's entirely accurate to blame all the game's praise on nostalgia. At least I played the first two games a few years ago as an adult, after playing Dark Dawn. I could easily recognize the games have a tonne of flaws, particularly the Lost Age and how much fake longevity there is in the middle. But I think it's undeniable that the games do have a certain level of charm to them that make them compelling despite it being rather simplistic.

Oh hey. One game that'd I'd really love to see get a sequel is Silent Bomber. A little known PS1 game. The story doesn't really beg for any kind of follow up but the gameplay was really, really solid stuff. Simplistic but with a lot of depth and difficulty.

Oh hey. One game that'd I'd really love to see get a sequel is Silent Bomber. A little known PS1 game. The story doesn't really beg for any kind of follow up but the gameplay was really, really solid stuff. Simplistic but with a lot of depth and difficulty.

This game looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for introducing me to it!

This game looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for introducing me to it!

It is a tonne of fun and I would highly recommend it. But be warned, the final boss is an absolute nightmare to beat. Search meticiulously for the upgrades throughout the game because you'll need every boon you can get in the finale.

Edited by Jotari

Chrono Cross is the third Chrono game. There was a sequel released in between the two. It's called Radical Dreamers. Doesn't have the Chorno moniker but imo that's one of the coolest names ever.

It was my understanding the Chrono Cross was sort of a greatly-expanded reimagining of Radical Dreamers, or that Radical Dreamers was sort of a massively-condensed and trimmed-down version of the story that was later expressed in full in Chrono Cross... something along those lines. For this reason, I don't really count the two as being fully-separate games, since they're both works that seem to be born from the same vision.

To be more specific, since I know this is getting into semantic territory, I was talking about wanting another game after Cross. Maybe using a number wasn't the best way to state that, though. Oops.

Edited by Topaz Light

It was my understanding the Chrono Cross was sort of a greatly-expanded reimagining of Radical Dreamers, or that Radical Dreamers was sort of a massively-condensed and trimmed-down version of the story that was later expressed in full in Chrono Cross... something along those lines. For this reason, I don't really count the two as being fully-separate games, since they're both works that seem to be born from the same vision.

To be more specific, since I know this is getting into semantic territory, I was talking about wanting another game after Cross. Maybe using a number wasn't the best way to state that, though. Oops.

Not really. Chorine Cross kind of started off using some ideas from Radical Dreamers and as a result ended up with several key characters sharing the same name, but the content of the stories themselves are pretty different (at least from what I know of Chrono Cross. I'm only about ten hours throughout, a playthrough I really must get back to). Chorono Cross deals with the idea of parallel worlds as a very concept of its core story and Lavos also plays a pretty big role (though I think unseen until the end). Where's Radical Dreamers has nothing to do with parallel worlds (unless you want to count the joke endings) and is actually a surprisingly character driven story.

Dungeon keeper would be my pick. It was cool to make a dungeon, attract different kind of monsters with your buildings and send them out for battle. You could even posses them so you could join in the fight yourself. Playing as a cartoonishly evil keeper also gave the game some charm.

Also most RTS's could make a comeback. You have Starcraft, but other then the Total war Series the less futeristic RTS's have all pretty much vanished. Games like Age of Empire or Age of Mythology just don't seem to get made anymore.

Dungeon Keeper technically has a spiritual successor in the game War for the Overworld. If I recall correctly, it even has the same narrator / advisor from the Dungeon Keeper games. I believed it started out as a fan project to make a spiritual successor the Dungeon Keeper and eventually evolved into what it is today.

As for other older RTS, I would like to see Warlords Battlecry return. While I only played the first game (and enjoyed the story campaign), I heard the later installments were pretty good games of their own. Something about having a customizable, powerful hero leading an army is enjoyable to me and I enjoyed Warlord's lore and mythos.

I would also like the see classic Valkyria Chronicles make a return, with the last one being made in 2011 and was not released outside of Japan. Granted, there's Azure Revolution coming out, but from what I hear it's not like the original titles...

Another series I would like to see is Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. While the first one seems to practically top everything, Ring of Fates and Echoes of TIme had their moments. Crystal Bearer was unique and enjoyable for what it was, and even the spinoffs weren't that bad. The themes, music, gameplay, and aesthetic always stuck out to me, and I would love to see another game of it.

Then if I start digging into my old console games I'll probably make even more of a list, so I'll stop here for now...

Another series I would like to see is Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. While the first one seems to practically top everything, Ring of Fates and Echoes of TIme had their moments. Crystal Bearer was unique and enjoyable for what it was, and even the spinoffs weren't that bad. The themes, music, gameplay, and aesthetic always stuck out to me, and I would love to see another game of it.

I've always said that the games that used that weird gba to gamecube cable should have been remade for the WiiU using either the gamepad or wireless 3DS connection. I would love to play Crystal Chronicles again, that game was amazing in co-op.

Crystal Chronicles had a habit of deleting everything on my memory card for some reason -_- Gives me very mixed feelings towards the game. If it wasn't so good I wouldn't have lost all the data on all my games three times trying to complete it.

Actually Crystal Chronicles could do quite well in the online multi player market Nintendo is setting up with their hand held. See Tri Force Heroes and Federation Force.

Edited by Jotari

I would also say the Command and Conquer franchise, but aspiring modders and fans seem to have those bases covered. I don't think I can trust the big companies to do the games justice after EA screwed everything up.

Ahh... The memories of taking down enemies with large swarms of aircraft even though that will take long.