If you could bring a franchise back, which ones would be?

Rapier

I see my phone had auto corrected Golden Sun to Golden Sunday in my last post; I have no idea why. I fixed it to clear up any possible confusion.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prince of Persia in the vein of the sands of time trilogy.

Megaman, i'll take anything action oriented (meaning not legends or battle network) but preferably more on the X side (like Zero and ZX) then the classic side i've always been more of a X fan.

Final Fantasy Tactics come on Square please!

Okami I know Clover left but that's why Capcom just contracts platinum to do it.

Rouge Squadron or Crimson Skies coming back would be cool to.

Edited by Locke087

How could I have forgotten about Golden Sun? I'd absolutely love to see a comeback of Golden Sun. But, er, no massive points-of-no-return that lock you out of almost the entire game world for the rest of the game this time, okay?

Golden Sun or Lunar. Remake the earlier games for the 3DS/NX and continue on with the story. There's a lot more than can be done with both games, and Golden Sun in particular has a lot of cliffhangers that should be resolved.

B R E A T H

O F

F I R E

seriously, i miss it so bad and its just so sad they didnt make any after Dragon Quarter. Yeah that one sucked, but like, theres ways to make a new BOF not suck? :(((

wow, someone remembers Lufia

I really liked the first game despite it being really simple and the ost being more of a miss than a hit (with some really cool tracks mixed in, at least) and played just a bit of the sequel, the GBA one and the DS one. I kinda miss it.

Bomberman definitely comes to mind. And the iOS sliding puzzle game released 2014 doesn't count. Contra and Gradius sequels would also be really nice. It's a shame Konami likely won't release games from those 3 series keeping their gameplay style intact (and before you say Bomberman is owned by Hudson Soft, that's not the case anymore ever since 2010).

Adventures of Lolo getting revived would be really awesome. It's such a fun maze/puzzle game.

And count me in on the F-Zero bandwagon.

I'm not sure if any of the franchises I like are old enough to be considered dead. Most of them stopped in the Wii/DS era. The World Ends With You and Okami both come to mind.

Then there's Another Code, which stopped because the developer went bankrupt. I dunno whether Nintendo owns the franchise, or whether they just published it.

Golden Sun. They kinda ended Dark Dawn with kinda a cliffhanger, and it's been several years since then. It's killing me.

Devil May Cry hasn't had a main series game (like, not a reboot like DmC or the Special Edition for 4) for 8 years. There have been leaks that could hint to 5 (and Nero's VA said that we might see Nero again soon) but all we've gotten confirmed is a pachinko machine.

I kinda want there to be a third Chrono game, but I dunno if I'm allowed to want that seeing as I haven't even played Cross yet (although I do intend to).

Chrono Cross is the third Chrono game. There was a sequel released in between the two. It's called Radical Dreamers. Doesn't have the Chorno moniker but imo that's one of the coolest names ever.

As for me I'm on the bandwagon of wanting another Golden Sun. The third game had a massive tonne of problems but it still set the groundwork for what could be a very promising fourth game. I'd also love to see another Sin and Punishment game though given there was 10 years between releases in the franchise so far we're not technically overdue for one.

Edited by Jotari

I can't believe no one mentioned Klonoa yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IE9qe_KPjc

It's such a nice series. Much like Kirby, you are simply a monster inside if you haven't played one.

Ehm...

Oh, and Klonoa too.

Also, I forgot about it, but It would be cool to see another Murasame Castle, since It's an interesting series and I can totally see it having a gameplay similar to an action game.

Chrono Cross is the third Chrono game. There was a sequel released in between the two. It's called Radical Dreamers. Doesn't have the Chorno moniker but imo that's one of the coolest names ever.

There's also a song in Chrono Cross called Radical Dreamers.

Not only is it a cool name, it's a cool vn

Radical Dreamers can hardly be used to claim that there are three chrono games. First of all, it was for Satellaview and wasn't really meant to be a visual novel... It just ended up that way since it' development was so short. It's little more than a tech demo really.

It's story is also basically just a variation of the first viper manor sequence in chrono cross, albeit with more explicit ties to chrono trigger.

I'm pretty sure official chrono artbooks and things claim it was non cannon or happened in an alternate universe, but technically that just brings up the whole "chrono cross isn't chrono trigger 2" comment

It's true that it cameos in chrono cross (Nikki's band is called magical dreamers, ending credits feature radical dreamers as a song, the another world overworld theme appears in Radical dreamers, shared story elements, etc....) But at the end of the day I'd hardly call it a game at all, and even if I did, I wouldn't say the "chrono series has 3 games" . Especially since that's kind of misleading statement as it implies the 3rd game is also a 40+ hour rpg... You mine as well try to get someone excited by saying their are more than 18 zelda games and then talk about the wand of gamelon or something...

Radical Dreamers can hardly be used to claim that there are three chrono games. First of all, it was for Satellaview and wasn't really meant to be a visual novel... It just ended up that way since it' development was so short. It's little more than a tech demo really.

It's story is also basically just a variation of the first viper manor sequence in chrono cross, albeit with more explicit ties to chrono trigger.

I'm pretty sure official chrono artbooks and things claim it was non cannon or happened in an alternate universe, but technically that just brings up the whole "chrono cross isn't chrono trigger 2" comment

It's true that it cameos in chrono cross (Nikki's band is called magical dreamers, ending credits feature radical dreamers as a song, the another world overworld theme appears in Radical dreamers, shared story elements, etc....) But at the end of the day I'd hardly call it a game at all, and even if I did, I wouldn't say the "chrono series has 3 games" . Especially since that's kind of misleading statement as it implies the 3rd game is also a 40+ hour rpg... You mine as well try to get someone excited by saying their are more than 18 zelda games and then talk about the wand of gamelon or something...

I think that's a pretty big difference. Nintendo didn't have any involvement with the Philips CD-I games. Radical Dreamers had the same script writer as Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. It might have been a low budget game but its still a game explicitly set in the same universe as Chrono Trigger, something that was only further solidifies in Chrono Cross, a game which drew heavy inspiration from Radical Dreamers so deserves to be mentioned as part of the set for that alone. It's level of canonicity is a bit of a moot point given the entire concept of Chrono Trigger as a series relies on multiple continuities and outcomes for events. As a game it features characters, plot concepts and music (I'm pretty sure Chrono Cross stole its basic battle theme from Radical Dreamers) you can find common in other parts of the series. The only singular thing that is different about it is the scope of the story and the gameplay which given how different other series manage to get away with the same thing (since you brought up Zelda I'll use Zelda II as an example which compared to something like Phantom Hourglass is a completely different beast until further examination) I think its fully fair to call it part of the series. And besides all that the game deserves to be acknolwedged because genuinely entertaining and fun. Or at least I found it to be of reasonably high quality in proportion to its low budget.

Edited by Jotari

Golden Sun, Suikoden, and Warcraft RTS. If Dark Dawn had been/done better, I would actually think GS had a good chance of getting a new game.

Also, finish Beyond Good and Evil 2 (I'm not sure if it could really be considered a franchise since it's just one game and a planned sequel).

I just feel that saying that a game adds to the number in a series has strong connotations. If you want to go with "same concept=same series" You can consider the case of banjo kazzoie.. I hardly see people claiming that it has a 3rd game in grunty's revenge for the GBA, despite also being a 3d platformer with collecting notes,jiggies and powerups as the core gameplay. Let alone Nuts and Bolts or a clear-cut spinoff like banjo pilot.

It can't really justify calling chrono a 3 game series when people call banjo 2 game series fairly frequently, and of course, Western Fire emblem sites still tend to number the games 1-14 and ignore BS fire emblem....

Edited by Reality

Mega Man also counts, I think. I doubt Capcom is ressurrecting it after such a long time without creating a new game (collections do not count), and I'm ignoring bad quality mobile games altogether. I'd personally like a new Mega Man ZX game, or even a new Mega Man X game.

Castlevania is not dead, but it looks like the Metroidvania style is. I miss it.

how is mega man dead but not castlevania? not only was there that collection thing a bit back but didn't they announce that cartoon recently too?

i mean if you're gonna be selective enough to not count those things you might as well not count the castlevania pachinko machine either

I just feel that saying that a game adds to the number in a series has strong connotations. If you want to go with "same concept=same series" You can consider the case of banjo kazzoie.. I hardly see people claiming that it has a 3rd game in grunty's revenge for the GBA, despite also being a 3d platformer with collecting notes,jiggies and powerups as the core gameplay. Let alone Nuts and Bolts or a clear-cut spinoff like banjo pilot.

It can't really justify calling chrono a 3 game series when people call banjo 2 game series fairly frequently, and of course, Western Fire emblem sites still tend to number the games 1-14 and ignore BS fire emblem....

Well it's all a matter of perspective of course. I'm not a fan of the Banjo Kazzoie series (yet, I'm sure I'll love it when I eventually get a copy) but I probably would consider a GBA game part of the series. People don't seem to have a problem considering Gameboy Advance and DS Zelda games as part of the main series after all even though some of them weren't even developed by Nintendo. In that case its probably because the 2D Zelda's continued a style that existed before the 3D games. And personally I'd rather BS Fire Emblem was counted among the numbering in the Fire Emblem series but it's not something I insist on because I have no illusions of changing the numbering the entire rest of the fan base is used to (and for the record I'd actually rather Shadow Dragon and New Mystery weren't included as part of the numbering system since remakes are a different deal). But I digress. If that's not satisfactory than plain and simple, Radical Dreamers is a game I enjoy and find unjustly ignored most of the time so when I see someone with an interest in playing Chrono Cross and have not heard of the little known satellaview visual novel I think it appropriate to alert them to its existence.

how is mega man dead but not castlevania? not only was there that collection thing a bit back but didn't they announce that cartoon recently too?

i mean if you're gonna be selective enough to not count those things you might as well not count the castlevania pachinko machine either

I cried when I saw Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater get the "pachinko" treatment. Those graphics look so damn good yo...

Blur (PS3 & Xbox 360), this racing game was street racing with Mario Kart items. You had kinetic bolts to shoot at other cars=miniature green shells, a giant red sphere that works like a red shell, a shield, a repair power-up so your car's health wouldn't burn out, boost=mushrooms, mines=bananas etc. with modern racing cars. I'm not sure if games like Blur still exist but I remember how much fun the online multiplayer was with my friends and family. The online multiplayer was the backbone to the game and I remember a couple years back when they announced a sequel to it, a lot of anxious gamers in the community were anxious if they were going to keep the same racing formula for the online multiplayer. Unfortunately Bizarre Creations was forced down by Activision.

I cried when I saw Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater get the "pachinko" treatment. Those graphics look so damn good yo...

oh yeah that was pretty sad to see

i mean i knew a metal gear pachinko machine was inevitable but

just seeing that begs the impossible question of "What if this was a remake?"

which sadly will never happen (and even if it miraculously does kojima won't be involved)

it just kinda sucks to think about

especially now that metal gear survive is a thing and looks like literally the most generic type of game possible

Edited by unique