Opinions on that Fire Emblem Awakening Character #1 - #51 (Chrom & Robin & Grima)

RoyLKing

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gregor

Never married Gregor myself, but I like his support with Cordelia and Severa. I personally don't blame people wanting a husky Russian accent on their husbandos (I prefer my Russian-accented husbandos sounding like Turquoise/Blue from Paintjackers and having pretty singing voices) Don't know what I'm talking about? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCbGKkY_Eko

But once again, Gregor aside from the whole Russian accented husbando going on for him, he's also pretty reminiscent of my Abuelo, as he is down-to-Earth and can tell if he's spoiling someone too much. I love how he is with Severa, as he is able to tell Severa off for being a tsundere to him in Future's Past.

Also, I love hearing Gregor's S-Support line as it is a pretty nice sounding one. Once again, I don't blame people that want to marry him.

Henry

It's funny that Henry and Gregor were grouped together on this countdown. I know a friend online that loves the both of them. They probably married a Robin with them in separate files but either way it is interesting.

Henry I feel is more masochistic, while Peri is more sadistic. I noticed people comparing them to each other and oddly enough, I prefer Peri to Henry. Don't ask me why, I just do. But back with Henry, Henry... I pair him with Cherche since his masochistic side is more obvious in it and it doesn't really focus on him being bloodthirsty in it.

Gregor: Odd speech pattern aside, he has a lot of interesting things to say. His supports range from meh to DID THEY JUST DUMP A TON OF HISTORY ON US, and I like it. Unit-wise, he needs a bit more Speed. Always.

Henry - His class set confuses me. So does the justification for the localization. Would've loved to see his Japanese incarnation translated properly!

Gregor

I love Gregor. He had a certain charm to him that I appreciated, along with some well-rounded supports. His ENG VA gives him an interesting portrayal, along with the dialogue. I quite liked his design; he wasn't overtly handsome or a bishounen, like some of the other characters; he was what he was: a battle-hardened, veteran mercenary. I never married him, though; Gregor x Cherche will always be my OTP.

Henry

I was never really a huge fan of Henry. Not that I found anything wrong with him, but because I was just neutral about him.

*Snip*

I hope you're not trying to tie in your personal opinion and stereotypical bias to evaluate her as a unit.

Because she is considered by the community to be one of the best units in the game because she has the uncontested best availability to get galeforce.

And your "frail" statement seems to only take her DEF into account when Chrom gives her a SPD pair up that pretty much dodges a lot of the lances on her join chapter if you're not playing Lunatic.

I am taking about my experiences in using Sumia as a unit. She wasn't as great as you're making her out to be, plus I absolutely hate Chrom x Sumia because Cynthia not recognising her father is a little shameful at best.

As for today's characters...

Gregor:

He's alright as a unit; his supports are nice and I enjoy the somewhat comical direction they can take (Nah as an example in the english version at least). He's always been a solid unit for me even though he's not my out right favourite he is up there. His design could have been a bit more unique, but he works well enough.

Henry:

Dear god if I didn't absolutely love Chrom I would have married this guy a thousand times over!! Henry is without a doubt one of my most favoured units to bring into battle. He has some of the BEST crit lines in the game, and the english version really capitialises on his comical side (and I can relate to Henry on many levels as well so...yeah...). Did I mention that Henry is actually one of my most favourite characters in Awakening besides Chrom, Morgan and Lucina? I'm sure I did. Oppsies :XD:

Henry's design is actually a long shot better than Tharja's and I like the fact that his dark mage battle model is so unique. Also that if he's a ground unit he has a laugh after beating the enemy. I find that adorable.

Gregor

• daddy
  • nah jk

Henry

• you're a fucking lunatic you know that right?
  • at least you can be somewhat entertaining
  • I forget if I used you as a unit or not, but I want to
  • cute cute cuuuutieeeeee

I am taking about my experiences in using Sumia as a unit. She wasn't as great as you're making her out to be

You're mixing the "units are bad" with "units I dislike" since you pretty much fulfilled the whole "Chrom x MU" shipper stereotype by implying that she has no redeeming qualities as a unit. You literally just said that in your quote:

I guess the only real redeeming quality is that Sumia looks ok...as long as she doesn't say anything and doesn't move.

Which pretty much shows you already prejudiced it.

Man:

Love Lucina specifically as MU's daughter.

Attempt to mix unit evaluation of Sumia as absolute trash with personal preferences, possibly due to an underlying reason.

This opinion sounds so familiar. Like I haven't run into it thousands of times.

Hell, Sumia x Frederick destroys hard mode on join chapter. Why does it have to be Sumia x Chrom?

While eclipse on the other hand couldn't make her "the offensive monster that people do", still acknowledging that her averages, join time, and you know... CLASS FRAILTY into account.

She's a dodge tank, not a DEF tank.

Your opinion on everything else is valid on how you apparently passionately dislike Chrom x Sumia storywise and personality-wise... but dismissing her as "basically useless with no redeeming qualities and shouldn't ever move" as a unit when she has the innate advantage of galeforce even over MU is pretty much pairing bias.

An opinion of characterization and role in plot is something that is subjective. But when you drag in stat averages, utility as a unit, and combine it with an all encompassing statement of "only redeeming quality is looks and don't move", people can question the facts you base your opinion off and if isn't some personal beef with a collection of pixels that happens to be a really good unit with your preferred husband or husband's retainer and not anywhere near as useless as Donnel in Lunatic, who your statement would be better suited to.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Gregor

Interesting supports with a lot of hidden character depth. However, I rarely use him for whatever reason. Maybe I subconsciously just want a team of teenagers saving the world at the end of the day. I don't understand the Russian accent, but whatever, it can be amusing, and it doesn't make his supports worse.

Henry

Love the puns, and he's also got some cute supports. I find it hard to dislike him - I know very little about the differences between the Japanese and localized versions of Awakening, so I can't say anything about his Japanese counterpart.

Gregor

I never really used the guy tbh. He gets some amusing lines when he joins but I dunno much about him.

Henry

Oddly enough, Henry is one of the few Awakening characters I really liked. While I could do without the blood fetish (I'm not queasy at all, compared to the rest of my family and irl friends I handle gore well, but I don't fantasize over it), I liked some of his supports, such as Olivia, Ricken, and Nowi. As a unit, he's alright. Basically a slightly later joining Tharja. No galeforce is a problem...

Edited by Glaceon Mage

I really like both characters and they are two of my favorites. I love the way Gregor acts with his broken English and years of experience. And, while I could do without the blood stuff, I like Henry's optimistic view on life and weird sense of humor.

Edited by Power Master

Ah goody. 2 of my favourites on the same day. But first, catchup time:

Flavia - Has a lively attitude but could have really done with more supports like some of the other mid/late game characters. Her support with Basilio was at least amusing. As a unit with my kind of run she's not particularly great. Lacking in strength and survivability, if she ends up in my final team she's assigned to meat shield.

Sumia - A cute design but otherwise a meh character. Her limited supports really hurt her and really made it obvious that they wanted you to pair her up with Chrom. Why else would she be in the Intro cinematic with Chrom, another cinematic in an early chapter, gets a fancy 2D scene reserved for important scenes, get's more scenes with him between chapters than some of the other side characters AND has said cinematic above called "Lovebirds" (US only as the European version calls it by a different name). Her gimmick is rather tiresome and her supports are nothing too special. Her support with Cynthia is at least rather nice and hell she did give us Cynthia so that's a plus. She did well for me as a unit. As expected from a Pegasus Knight she was fragile but hit pretty hard. I believe she did better for me than Cordelia but my memory on that is a tad fuzzy.

Gregor - One of my favourites of the Awakening cast. Such a jolly man he is and the added accent in the dub was good and added a nice flavour to his character. His supports are pretty good, with some with him sharing his words of wisdom to some that gave us an interesting backstory to this guy. The later in particular was interesting, especially with his support with Tharja. It was quite sad and it makes me curious about what his original name was. Also he almost became the next Khan in Ferox which gives him my utmost respect. His design is good, what you'd expect of a long time mercenary. It's a shame that as a unit, so far I'd say he's alright. His growths for me weren't anything too amazing but in my last run I didn't get a good chance to fully utilize him as he fell to a 4% critting mage. R.I.P you unlucky sonova bitch, I will reassess you in another run in the future.

Henry - Another favourite of mine. Such a bizarre character he is but I find him quite interesting. He has such a fascination with blood and enjoys killing but is quite obedient when told not to kill and also looks at thins like a innocent child. I suppose his restraint is what separate's him from Fate's Peri who in contrast can't keep her hand from chopping some poor soul's head off. His supports were interesting although I have to admit he's one of the hardest to find a good pairup for (In terms of chemistry). His design is good and his voice lines always got a giggle from me, particularly his little "teehee" after killing someone. He makes for a ripper of a dark mage. Apart from the usual brokenness of Nostanking, even without it he hits pretty hard and has a surprisingly good DEF growth for a mage. Hell right out the gate he made good use of his Ruin tome which made him pretty useful in leveling up to catch up to the others. Probably my go to dark mage for any run requiring it.

Edited by Naturesshadow

Nn.

Nah's adorable. She's up there on the tier list of children. Amazing unit as well, especially with the normal Donnel parenting I give her.

Would you say that The Vaike has entered?

After using Vaike in a recent playthrough, I have concluded that Hero Vaike is superior to Warrior Vaike. 35% Sol activation makes him a tank.

As a character he's fine. Not the best, but not bad.

Edited by TrueEm

Today's characters are Nah and Vaike, what is your opinion on those characters?

Nah:

She's okay. I like her more mature attitude over her mother's incredibly child-like one, and I prefer her design over her mother's. She has a few nice supports, but I don't think they're as good as several other characters' supports. As a unit, she's good, although I still don't really use her all that much just because there are others I prefer over her.

EDIT: Her supports with Inigo were some I actually had never unlocked before! I went back and read them, and...wow, those were bad. Honestly, they really made me like her a LOT less.

Vaike:

Like Nah, he's okay. He's a pretty entertaining character in his own right, but I don't like him as much as a big chunk of the rest of the cast. His design is only so-so in my opinion, and as a unit there's definitely better characters in the game. But he's not bad! And, like everyone else in Awakening, totally usable should anyone want to.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

Walhart - I don't really have an opinion on Walhart. He never really did much for me story-wise, and I've never tried him as a unit.

Lucina - I like Lucina a lot. I like her seriousness about trying to save the world, and the fact that she's a dork in her supports, it's adorable. I think her design is pretty cool too.

Aversa - No real opinion on Aversa either. I haven't used her.

Lissa - I love Liss. She has a bright and cheery personality and early game healing is very much appreciated. Can't really comment on her as a unit after that though - I don't usually use her until I start grinding to get galeforce for Owain, and since that's grinding, everyone ends up broken.

Flavia - I wish she joined earlier and had more supports. I like her design and think she could be interesting.

Sumia - I really don't understand the hate for Sumia. Like, I know she's pushed with Chrom, but so? Even her pie support chain, I don't find all that terrible... people say it's just her submitting to gender roles, but, I think it's worse to just dismiss it as "submitting" because like... liking something girly (making pies) doesn't automatically mean you can't also be a badass on the battlefield... the two aren't mutually exclusive... but so many works treat them like they are and the "strong" female character has to hate all things girly or else she's "weak", which implies there's something wrong/lesser about girly things when really it has no impact whatsoever on her ability to kill stuff... It's refreshing to see a character who can do both. I'll stop now. Anyway, Sumia gives us Cynthia, which is nice, and I also really like the wing clip-thing in her hair.

Gregor - I find Gregor very amusing. I like the accent, and his sense of humour. I don't really tend to use him as a unit though, even when looking to pass skills to his kid, I do the bare minimum to get the skill I want and then bench him. Not sure why I never use him, but there you go.

Henry - I actually really like Henry. From memory, most of his blood gimmick seems to be directed towards Risen? I could be remembering wrong though. It's definitely directed towards enemies, at least. Aside from that, he does care about his allies in his own odd way, and the weirdness is understandable considering his past. Also puns. I like having him as Cynthia's father, because then I can use her as a dark flier which is great because I love dark fliers.

Nah - I like Nah. She's got a sad backstory with the family that raised her, with her trying to be the perfect child for them, and it's made her very serious as a result. Sometimes her supports rub me the wrong way though, like her S with Inigo... she threatens to eat him. That's a bit extreme. Vaike!Nah for awesome Axefaire + Luna wreckage. I really wanna try Henry!Nah though, as a Valkyrie.

Vaike - Who doesn't like Teach? He's the kind of boisterous, confident character that I really like. Like, even though he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, he's fine with it, and he's really confident anyway. Unfortunately though he's a character who often gets benched until it's grindtime for child skills. Or, if he is used in the main game, it's backing up his wife to make her even more awesome.

Nah

I had no idea how to pronounce her Japanese name until someone told me and then I felt stupid as Hell. Anyway, I like Nah decently. Cute design, awesome class, looks great in a lot of hair colors... her only issues is that some of her supports fall flat. This doesn't usually bother me because I try and S rank her as fast as possible to Morgan. It's a personal favorite support of mine.

Vaike

The teach! ... gets speed screwed a lot with me. However I usually do try and patch that up, even if it's just because I'm grinding skills for his kid. I usually don't use warriors and the type but Vaike was decent the times I did use him. Unfortunately he ends up usually just as mating fodder. Sorry, teach.

Nah - Poor kid didn't have a chance in hell, given her mother. Her support with Inigo isn't the best, and I really REALLY don't care for her support with Brady. She's hilarious as a unit, though - dragons are pretty good in Awakening, and the fact that her mods can only get better is a huge plus.

Vaike - He's loud, proud, and reminds me of certain people I don't care for IRL. His support with Lissa helps to flesh him out neatly. His stats, on the other hand. . .why does his base speed have to be so very bad?

Nn:

The "desu" after every statement is funny to me. The loli thing isn't.

Also funny localization change is the "shotgun wedding thing" and instead implies that their dad is a lolicon in JP.

The fact that Dragon stones don't have weapon levels in this game means she can immediately steal her mother's for a boost with all of that experience gain? Yes please.

Vaike:

He's an average unit. Not bad, but not good. Str is reliable though. Especially for pair ups in Lunatic/Lunatic+ in earlygame.

As for personality... I dislike "Ore-sama" users as a general rule.

Edited by shadowofchaos

speak english

Erm. . .what?

Like, I'm fine with SoC's stuff. He's comparing the two versions, something which I've done in my past reviews. Some are inherit to the Japanese version, but it's not a huge part of what he's doing.

speak english

英語が下手です。

Vaike is a stuck up "Ore-sama" honorific user in Japanese.

I could write in painful roomaji, which eclipse would likely warn me for, if you'd like.

Edited by shadowofchaos

英語が下手です。

Vaike is a stuck up "Ore-sama" honorific user in Japanese.

I could write in painful roomaji, which eclipse would likely warn me for, if you'd like.

PM me your definition of painful. I just might allow it. :P:

Nah:

Another child character I bench or never bother to get. I think I had Nah in my roster once after I grinded levels for Donnel and Nowi for an hour. I don't think she stayed long on it.

Vaike:

Who? *advisor runs up and whispers in my ear* Oh, that axe-wielding idiot I benched immediately.

#1: Walhart - who

#2: Lucina - She's not one of the most popular characters for no reason! I agree with everyone's label of her being the adorable badass, and I quite like her flips from serious to dorky. Her support with Owain is one of my favorites, it's so dumb and silly and sweet all in one. Lucina is my sweet, time-travelling daughter and I think she deserves the love. butmaybenotacharacterspotinsmash4

#3: Aversa - Her headgear thing really irritates me for some reason. Other than that, I'm neutral about her. I don't feel like I have much reason to like her, so I'm teetering more on the "shouldn't have been brought back to life" side of things.

#4: Lissa - Ahh, Lissa! The cutest little sister. Her design is adorable, her voicework is solid, her supports are very good at revealing her strengths and weaknesses, and she does well as a Sage. There isn't really anything I dislike about her at all. She manages to do positive and cheerful in a very natural way and acts like a regular teenage girl would. I love Lissa.

#5: Flavia - Good design and voicework, but I never watched many of her supports. Her support with f!Robin was painful, though. So, so, painful.

#6: Sumia - The only thing I really like about her is her design. I'm not sure what it is about her, but her type of character just isn't my cup of tea. It doesn't help that literally everyone in the army knows about Cordelia's love for Chrom, but Sumia doesn't respect that for some reason or try to help the two of them out. They're best friends, IIRC. I'm sorry Sumia, have fun with your pies.

#7: Gregor - He's a really fun character! I haven't seen any of his supports but he's a good man and an okay unit from what I've heard. Good for you, Gregor!

#8: Henry - Weird. So weird, but in an oddly charming way. I guess it's only natural he and Peri get compared a lot, but I like Henry more in almost every conceivable way. His voice and crits are fun, his expressions range from creepy to cute, and he has some interesting supports. I like Henry a lot.

#9: Nah - All I know about her is that her support with m!Morgan is good. Other than that, I like her design, but I don't think her voice fits her that well. But it is better than the saturated moe one they gave her in the Japanese release, so I should be thankful.

#10: Vaike - He didn't leave a good impression on me because upon first seeing him I felt like I'd seen this character, both in personality and in design, in MANY other RPGs before. But I do like his support with Lissa; finding out that he's always up in Chrom's face for challenges because he truly respects him was oddly heartwarming. +1 for Vaike!

Nah

Dreadful supports with Brady and Inigo aside, I really like Nah. I love the balance of maturity and immaturity, she's got one of the more tragic backstories which helps explain her general attitude, she's got good supports with Yarne and Morgan (sadly not with the avatar, in my opinion) and is overall really entertaining. Couple that with a great design and a good voice delivery and you've got yourself a solid character.

Vaike

I feel like there's one of these characters in every manga, anime or Japanese game. Forgettable, too incredibly stupid and in general doesn't bring anything to the table.