Opinions on that Fire Emblem Awakening Character #1 - #51 (Chrom & Robin & Grima)

RoyLKing

Inigo - Holy crap is he insecure! His paralogue is irritating, and his bases are probably bleh thanks to mom. However, he's a galeboy, and he can do all sorts of amusing things ('zerker that runs across mountains), if grinding is assumed.

Virion - He exists to explain the female cast (except for Maribelle, who explains him). His bases hurt as a unit, but I'm fond of archers. He also gives decent mods to his kid.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inigo:

As everyone's already said, Fates really helped out his characterization. It made him feel more balanced between his more lamenting side and his flirtatious side, but we're not talking about Fates. Inigo can kind of come off as annoying or immature by most standards, but I did quite like his support with Chrom as his father. I also can't see him without blue hair of any kind because the first time I ever saw him he had Chrom's dark blue hair. At this time I knew next to nothing about FE so I was stunned and thinking some kind of bug was going around giving all these characters different hair colours.

Virion:

I haven't watched any of his supports, so I have no real opinion. I'm more interested in him now that I've read what other people have to say about him, though.

Inigo - His better supports are the ones dealing with the shyness (read: Olivia). Beyond that, a tad boring. Unit wise, to be steller, Olivia needs to get Dark Flyer Lv 15 so he can get Galeforce. He's pretty awesome.

Virion - I never paid a ton of attention to him after he was recruited. Unit wise, he depends on difficulty.

Inigo:

I hate flirts...and this one is usually benched immediately and almost never used regardless of playthrough. I litterally hate this guy with a passion. He is my least favourite male in Awakening

[spoiler=However]In Fates Inigo is actually tolerable, mostly because of his support with Peri , but this is irrelevant to the actual thread.

Virion:

He's alright as a unit (once you get him going) and I don't mind him that much. I found myself laughing when he was recruited (mostly because Sully kicks the guy in the face :XD:)

Today's characters are Kjelle and Tharja, what is your opinion on those characters?

I honestly hate Kjelle, her character is really bad and the whole "I would beat you if we fought in 1v1" thing really turns me off, you're expecting someone to face a knight in a straight combat?

She's also pretty forgettable.

Tharja's good I suppose.

Kjelle

Probably the most boring and forgettable member of the Shepherds. Her gimmick is that she's strong and likes to train and...that's pretty much it. There's really not much to be said about her.

I guess she's an unrealistically bad chef, which was not fun in the first anime/game/manga/whatever I watched/played/read, and it was not fun the 500 other times that same joke appeared.

Tharja

Not my cup of tea, but I would argue she's not as bad as some people seem to think. She's got a lot of moments in her supports that humanize her, showing that she tries acting tough and cold but is a bit of a softie and a good person on the inside. Pretty much the opposite of Camilla.

I don't like how she treats her family and I don't like the stalking, but she's got her moments.

Edited by Thane

Kjelle: She is reckless. She must unlearn what she has learned. I A support her with Sully just so I have an excuse to promote her to GK.

Tharja: I don't know. Maybe she's a sadist stalker? There are some supports that don't fit her at all.

Kjelle:

She has a cool name and a cool mom, but man, I just don't see anything that likable in her. She's just super headstrong and reckless and that's kind of it. Were people saying Kellam was forgettable, because I think we've found competition.

Tharja:

I'm not really a fan of her type of character and her sprite art is not appealing to me at all. I can get why people like her, and she is genuinely nice in some supports, but her relationship with Robin if they're married kinda gives me unhealthy vibes. And let's not even get started on Noire... I also hate how so many of her S-supports involve Tharja making her husband promise to share her devotion to Robin before she'll marry him. That seriously rubs me the wrong way.

Edited by interconnecteddream

#17: Kjelle- She's there.

#18: Tharja- I was cool with her when she was 99 cent Juvia from Fairy Tail (first thing that came to my head when I saw her), then she has a kid, and then she became 99 cent Medusa from Soul Eater, with the difference between her and Medusa is that you're suppose to like Tharja.

Edited by I'm a Spheal

Kjelle

I forgot she existed tbh.

Tharja

... oh... I don't really care for her. I don't mind yandere archtypes, but her treatment of Noire genuinely makes me angry... I just hope she takes her support with Noire to heart and isn't as harsh on her this time around.

Today's characters are Kjelle and Tharja, what is your opinion on those characters

Kjelle:

One of my least-favorite characters in the entire series. Kjelle just sucks. She's a jerk-faced stuck-up little *bleeeeeep* who needs to get punched in the face and shown to the door. Any supports of hers I like purely because of the OTHER person, not her. Get less poo-faced, Kjelle. I rarely if ever use her because she sucks so much.

Tharja:

Another one of my least-favorite characters. She's an abusive, terrible wife and mother, a creepy stalker, and a cold jerk. I HATE admitting it, but she actually has some good supports with Lon'qu and Libra...but otherwise, she sucks. Like Kjelle, I rarely use her, and usually always just for Noire.

Kjelle is annoying. I don't like her because there's nothing to her. She's a decent defensive unit if trained because she'll always be capable of getting both Pavaise and Aegis. However, I never train her because of my opinion of Sully and herself

Tharja is my single least favorite FE character ever. I despise this girl with every fiber of my being, the way she treats Noire is blatantly unforgivable, and stalking isn't a particularly good thing either. Her design would be decent if she bothered to wear okay looking facial expressions and fixed her bangs so that they don't end precisely above her eyes, which looks incredibly awkward. The impractically revealing dark mage outfit doesn't help her case.

Djelle

...I feel like she's very forgettable with her "duel duel duel" like she's playing Yugioh or something.

As a unit: If you're not grinding you'd have other tanks by this point. I just bench her usually.

Tharja

A silly pet peeve of mine is people pronouncing it as thar-JA.

It's Thar-ya, like how you pronounce "Freyja".

Moving on.

I really dislike how she is purely the Japanese fetish in this game.

In Genei Ibun Roku/Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and the expy in Fates Shara/Rhajat is much better implemented with her personality being closer to that of the shy anti-social type.

If she's your cup of tea, sure.

But the FE Background website (only in Japanese) and her creepy CG and "backstory" are devoid of value to me.

Not to mention the "love" she shows Noire.

Yeah, no.

Enjoy your fetish wife. At the expense of your child.

As for a unit, Sorcs are broken in this game.

Sell everything and buy Resire/Nosferatu and you'll pretty much win.

Only falls short with lack of Galeforce access.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Virion and Inigo: See Thane's post on them, as he said it better than I could. That being said, I do like Inigo, but he was definitely handled better in Fates.

Kjelle: She... exists. That is honestly the most I can say about her. Gameplay wise, I have better tanks by this point, including other 2nd gen characters, so I don't really feel the need to grind yet another one. The vast majority of her supports are also lackluster. Question: Does anyone else get Spartacus vibes during Kjelle's B support with Robin, when she challenges him/her? I just see that training fight between wounded crixus and spartacus when the later tries to prove his strength for bataius, and I get the feeling the support kinda ends in a similar matter, with Robin putting Kjelle in her place.

Tharja: I never thought I would say this when Fates's characters was revealed, but her expy, Rhajat, is far and above better than the original. Rhajat is a socially-awkward individual. Tharja is an abusive, creepy and all-round irredeemable piece of shit. Yeah, she had a few moments with Nowi and Libra, but that doesn't change the fact that she routinely abuses her spouse and children for her own twisted goals, and still stalks someone else! Her only purpose whenever I play is to unlock Noire. If she didn't do that, then I would have killed her in her recruitment chapter. Why is she popular? Why? Is it because her outfit is revealing? Is that it? (then again, Camilla is pretty popular...)

Edited by warchiefwilliams

Kjelle:

Good character I suppose. I have a sort of affinity for her, although she's kinda like her mother + (Lon'qu - aversion to women). Not bad, but not great.

Meh unit imo. Kellam has better availability and Defense. I know she can get Galeforce, but if you're not grinding, Kellam is just so much better. Although for being one of the easiest, and therefore earliest, of the children to obtain, I suppose it's fine.

Tharja:

Over my time playing Awakening again recently I realized (at least) one thing; The abusive version of Tharja was from an alternate reality where she had literally gone insane over Kellam her husband dying. So, in the end, I actually don't hold it against her. She's not the best person, but she's not evil or anything. She helps people out much more often than she harms people. I do think Rhajat is better just because she has more of a reason to like the MU, but I don't dislike Tharja as I used to.

As a unit, she's pretty quintessential to any playthrough not using a Sorcerer MU. High Defense plus Nosferatu access is great. I have bed luck with her Speed, but that doesn't mean she's bad by any means.

Edited by TrueEm

Kjelle - I keep forgetting that she exists. Help.

Tharja - She's interesting. There's a lot of subtlety to her character (even in her supposed treatment of Noire), which goes over most people's heads. She's part of the reason why I can stand Fates' 2D characters. As a unit, I don't really use her.

Kjelle - I keep forgetting that she exists. Help.

I've already called a doctor, help is on the way!

You're actually not alone in that by the way.

Tharja - She's interesting. There's a lot of subtlety to her character (even in her supposed treatment of Noire), which goes over most people's heads. She's part of the reason why I can stand Fates' 2D characters. As a unit, I don't really use her.

Could you elaborte on this, please?

I've already called a doctor, help is on the way!

You're actually not alone in that by the way.

Could you elaborte on this, please?

Tharja's actions, when taken at face value, make her look awful. If every last support is taken into account (at least in terms of world-building), her actions aren't completely out of left field. Virion does a pretty good job of explaining Tharja's logic.

However, I see a lot of posts about Tharja's actions, with no analysis whatsoever. Hence why I think it's better that characters in FE are as flat and easily-explained as possible.

EDIT: Post below mine summarizes my point nicely.

Edited by eggclipse

I was on break for... pretty much no reason :3: Let's get to picking gods and praying!

Cherche-eena

I'd like to say she's probably underrated, but in truth I haven't explored too much into our lady with an entirely exposed back. She brings Minerva back, though, so that's fine by me. Sure, Minerva's a wyvern now, but sometimes that's how the cookie crumbles.

Frederick, Please...

He's the Meme Man of Awakening. Not like it needs to be stated; I just wanted to acknowledge this fact.

This guy. This fuggin' guy. Dude, what a tough break for you when you try to marry Cordelia, man. Especially since you're actually a kick ass unit.

Everyone's got stories of how this guy saved their high-difficulty or beginner runs early on in the game, so it's impossible not to have an opinion of him. And boy, not only does Chrom need him gameplay-wise, he needs him in the story, as well. Sure, he doesn't have the tactical brilliance of Robin nor the foresight of Lucina, but someone's gotta stop Chrom from being totally reckless. He's the father Chrom never had, basically. The overly protective, highly OCD father with an aversion to gamey meat. To me, he's a better Jakob, which is pretty good.

Indigo Needs No Aid

So, for some reason, Inigo seems like a brother to Owain. I guess it's because of how they didn't really hit it off all that well at first, but then in Fates, they're talkin' like good chums to one another. Or maybe it's literally just because he's part of the "Awakening Trio".

I like him well enough, but he isn't as great as he is in Fates. I really should play Future Past to get more out of him, but even in the other DLC, you see a more sincere side of him. I dunno, I just really like it whenever he and Owain talk about the morality of killing mortal men. But in all other respects, you can see that he's still got some growing to do. That makes sense, though, as he's likely a teenager.

Virion, Groper of Pigeons

It seems that people hate this guy just because he's really flirty. But if that's true, then how the hell did Inigo become one of the most popular Awakening children? Is it just because his first flirt was shot down, whereas Inigo's wasn't?

If there's one thing that my sister and I agree on, it's that we actually really like this guy. He's got a surprisingly mature and intelligent side of him that doesn't often come up when he's talking to girls due to his gimmick. And even though he might seem cowardly and selfish for fleeing his country when it was being taken over by Valm, you find out via supports that he actually cared very deeply for his people, and if I recall correctly, he did try to evacuate as many of his people as he could. And when he genuinely cares about a woman, he usually makes efforts to try to make her happy instead of imposing himself on her.

All in all, a terribly underappreciated character who merely gives off a bad first impression.

KeeYell-Dead-Cell

So when you play the Harvest Scramble and have her and Severa talk, you find out that she actually has the hots for Severa. No joke, no "only pretending" BS; she actually wants to get in Severa's pants. I could only assume this is the result of the steamy, kinda awkward C Support between these two characters. And she also has a huge lady crush on Lucina. Is she a lesbo/bi or not? She was Soliel before it was cool... except it technically already was "cool" before she did it.

Aside from... that, she's... not too terribly interesting? Why is it that whenever I see a female meathead in these games, they're usually dull? You could totally make a great one. Just put some goddamn elbow grease into it, man! Er, or woman!

Tharja... Joins the Battle in Smash Infinite

I'm not joking, there's actually a mod for Super Smash Bros Brawl where Tharja's an alternate skin of Zelda; hilariously enough, the Sheik transformation turns her into... Sothe, of all people??? So, isn't this controversy number one?

You know, I already made a rant about how I feel regarding the whole stalker thing. Summary: it isn't cute, isn't funny, and isn't worth the effort to get it. This is tacked on top of an implied rape in Robin X Tharja A support, where Robin faints and Tharja comments on how... "helpless" they are. And yes, she fawns over female Robin, too, in pretty much the exact same way. I personally would like to see it as more of an anti-hero thing - where a bit of her "Plegian" side still lingers - but it's treated as a gaff. Purely entertainment. The only funny part is the B Support, which admittedly did make me laugh (I may be wrong, but wasn't there actually a voice clip of Tharja doing a girly giggle that only plays in this support?).

I want to appreciate her. She isn't particularly that socially awkward gothic girl, but I just generally like the witchy, gothic types anyway. But... there's more wrong with Tharja than there is with Rhajat. She's morally corrupt, and again, I'd like to see it as a sort of moral ambiguity that she brings from Plegia, but it's treated as if it's supposed to make you laugh. And it's treated as something that's somehow... okay? Kinda? Like, her whipping up all these curses to torture her comrades doesn't get her thrown out of the army immediately? Or, you know, torturing her own daughter? Come to think of it, I don't think I ever recall Noire telling Tharja that she loves her.

I suppose some might call me a hypocrite for not having a problem with Henry... except Henry doesn't whip up curses to torture his comrades. Sure, he's totally screwed up in the head and does dabble in curses, but he's not into hurting his comrades for "experiments" or whatever.

Kjelle:

Kjelle has two things going against her. Firstly she's just boring with her being strong and her liking to train being her main gimmick, without any fluff to go along with it. That's not to bad in itself. With a large cast its inevitable at least one character will be boring. Unfortunately for Kjelle she's also comes off as a jerk a lot of times so I'm not prepared to give her a pass on her flaws. I just plain don't like her.

The only time Kjelle came off as a bit enjoyable was in her support with Morgan and that has all to do with the charm of the later.

Tharja:

I have mixed feelings towards Tharja. My most frequent thought about her is that I just plain don't get how she is considered eye candy. Her in game sprite hardly looks like a model. The way Tharja clutches her tome and her expressions would let me to believe she was some neurotic, coffee addicted wreck if I didn't already know her personality.

Tharja is at her best when Robin is nowhere in sight. When focusing on helping her teammates through her curses Tharja comes off as strangely nice after the initial defrosting. Based on those moments I'd cautiously say I like Tharja's personality.

Tharja gets a lot of flack for how her future self threats Noir but I find that kind of unfair. Its not the Awakening Tharja who does any of those things and its established there might be some trauma behind her actions in the future. The current Tharja isn't likely to be mom of the year any time soon but I consider her a separate character from the nutty future one.

Kjelle - aaaand speaking of worst kids, there she is. Out of all the characters in Awakening she annoyed me the most, with her bitchy, gotta be better than all men attitude that was present in most of her supports. The later attitude in particular made me real sick of her as, unlike Sully who only brought it up when certain characters made it sound like they judged her from her gender (when they didn't mean to) Kjelle just won't shut up about up and comes across as pretentiously preachy. I know there have been other FE characters that bring up this issue in the fantasy setting (Mia and Hana come to mind) but they never played it up to this level of obnoxious, and in this day and age I really don't need to be seeing stuff like this in my favourite franchise. On top of that her design with the overdone shoulder pads really looks silly. Hands down the worse kid and one of my least favourites in Awakening. At least her mother is awesome.

Tharja - The death of modest dark mage designs. Obvious yandere bait for the self insert fetish that the avatar character created (The fact that she got a figure doesn't help). But I will say that when she's not focused on her main gimmick she's not bad, in fact I'd say I prefer her as she is in her other supports. While she comes across as anti-social and a bit untrustworthy what with the cursing and all she does have a soft spot, particularly in Lon'qu and Kellam's support. I do quite like characters that aren't all goody two shoes and her attitude is something I can get behind (Although her treating Noire as a guinea pig ain't winning her parent of the year anytime soon), She just had to be stuck with the baggage of a particularly annoying gimmick that ruins some of her supports (Her S rank with Libra comes to mind, God that was a dick move on her end) and an obvious pandering design that seems to be the standard for dark mages now (and I don't mind the occasional sexual design here and there but it has to suit the character, otherwise it just feels like cheap pandering). I think I've softened up a bit with her after seeing Camilla in Fates who in my opinion is even WORSE than Tharja when it comes to Avatar worshiping and has more supports with that gimmick interfering than Tharja, hell you could do a counter of how many times she gushes over the avatar during the story. As a unit Tharja does pretty well but her luck can be problematic, as the threat of crits will follow her more than Henry. But like Henry she hits hard and can tank pretty well, but Henry excels more in this category.

(I may be wrong, but wasn't there actually a voice clip of Tharja doing a girly giggle that only plays in this support?).

There was. Quite a few in fact. I have to admit it caught me off guard and It did get a chuckle from me. You could tell it was killing her inside to do it.

Edited by Naturesshadow

Over my time playing Awakening again recently I realized (at least) one thing; The abusive version of Tharja was from an alternate reality where she had literally gone insane over Kellam her husband dying. So, in the end, I actually don't hold it against her.

Uhh... she nose curses her child in the present over trivial things in the supports.

That's equivalent to slapping your child while you pass by them.

Cherche: One of my favorites in the game. Her attitude and aesthetic just make me smile. I relate to her quite a bit tbh. (well, except for the wyvern thing) As a unit, she takes work to make really really stompy. Thats the really weird thing about her. Like, redhaired wyvern ladies usually stomp right out of the box. Cherche is ok in her join chapter, but immediately ceases to stomp afterward. Panne as a wyvern does the job better. So if you wanna make Cherche into a powerhouse, you actually need to put her through various classes. I usually put her through Griffon rider and then Valkyrie (for Dual Support + to pass down to Gerome) and then finish as wyvern. Its...a lot of work. But i go the extra mile for my favorites.

Frederick: Pure Jeigan. His attitude and character is in this too. A battle butler to the extreme and a voice of grumbly adult for Team Chrom. Hes funny. I like him. As a unit, this guy stomps all over early game in pure Jeigan fashion. Loony mode early game is the Frederick Show (watch out for that hammer!) and hes pretty invaluable in those chapters. As a result, i usually reward his leal stompy service with a waifu, in which hes delegated to support bot from there on out. Cuz once a certain point has passed, Fred just cant really keep up. Even putting levels and work into the guy, he doesnt have the growths the others do. Hes decent that way but...eehhh. Its ok though cuz hes still vital to the team early on. (normal mode, hes not at all necessary tho)

Inigo Montoya: Hes an ok chap, but kind of irritating sometimes. I like his supports with Gerome because manhandled. Other times, hes just plain dork. As a unit, oh gods i hope you leveled up Olivia cuz hoooly shit he will SMELL without that. And since he wants Galeforce, you might be doing that anyway.

Virion: Top of the Husbando Trifecta. His design is the business and i love his funny ass, yet really quite intelligent character. <3333 "all hail....me!" Yes. As a unit, well...poor Virion. His base class is kinda poopy and makes his early game a bit of a challenge. He needs love and lots of it to really work. Since hes a favorite, i put in the effort. If i keep him in his base class line, he goes through Sniper to get Bowfaire and then kicks some butt in Bow Knight for Bowbreaker. Ill never forget my very first run. It was Normal mode, but it was my first time playing. My MU married him and i reclassed him to Wyvern and he totally wrecked Validar's face with a Log. Good times....

Kjelle: (i believe pronounced more like "shell" with a slight t sound at the beginning.) "FACE ME!" Shes an ok character whos motives i can understand. I do think she lays it on a bit thick sometimes. Her supports with Severa are the most entertaining thing around though. (and the only time i like anything featuring Severa) Kjelle has a huge honor boner and wants to be the best. I guess people just dont like this kind of character very much. :( As a unit, she may need a daddy to give her Galeforce, but ive seen her stomp without it. I usually find a place for her on my team.

Tharja: I like her. Shes really hilarious half the time. Im not a big fan of her relationship with Noire though. I usually just dont have them support tbh. Shes usually the go-to waifu for Loki MU unless im feeling daring. Other than the Noire thing (which is understandable), i feel like Tharja gets way too much hate. Like for her design and stuff too. :(: As a unit, her base mag is good but a lot of her other stats are a bit fsjhfsd. Like her skill is kinda butt and it shows. I find that she really does do well in the Thwomp class line because her str and def growths really shine there. So half the time, shes passing Pavise down to Noire (or Luna) and lancing junk in the face more than shes magicking shit in the face. "Do you like darkness? Its the name of my LANCE"