Opinions on that Fire Emblem Awakening Character #1 - #51 (Chrom & Robin & Grima)

RoyLKing

Kjelle

She's annoying. I suppose, the fact that she has a flaw is interesting. The fact that she tends to disregard comrades based on if they are physically strong is something—if she was given a reason for truly thinking that. It is brought up in her support with either Robin or Lucina, I can't remember. Overall, she just annoyed me. I did like her with Vaike's blonde hair, though.

Tharja

She actually has some pretty decent supports that paint her as a kind person underneath the somewhat sexualized, callous exterior. Her support with Libra, Lon'qu, Virion and Gregor are good examples. She actually confronts these characters with the intent on helping them with their problems. Hell, hers with Virion's is essentially the core of her character; she is a person that truly cares for the well being of others but hides it.

Tharja would be a good character if her obsession with Robin wasn't so overstated. The fact that she is technically emotionally cheating on her spouse with Robin is disturbing, in my opinion. Marrying her off is always such a hassle because Noire is one of my favorite children.

"I'll marry you—but Robin will always be my number one."

O-kay?

One could say that it is meant to be funny. It isn't.

Rhajat is actually Tharja done right, in my opinion.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today's characters are Cordelia and Gerome, what is your opinion on those characters?

Gerome: I haven't gotten to see him much, but I like him, he's one of the only second gen characters that is serious, since most of the 2nd gen is basically just a colorful bunch that come from bad future, he does have a better relation to Minerva than Cherche ever did too so that's nice. Unit-wise, he's OP, and he's a dragon knight so that's great.

Cordelia: not sure how I really feel about Cordelia, I liked her support with Donnel though. Unit-wise, I prefer her to Sumia, she's more bulky yet still can double and dodge a lot. Design-wise, ehhhhhh.

Cordelia

I've softened up a bit to her lately, but I still don't really see what all the fuzz is about. Her obsession with Chrom really cripples her since they could've focused on how she dealt with being the only survivor of her group of Pegasus Knights and how she deals with being a perfect perfectionist prodigy and what that means instead.

I also call someone who gets worse the more supports you unlock for the "Cordelia Effect", since she can marry someone and then go back to whining about Chrom in another, which I really wish they would've thought of.

All in all, she's decent and has a beautiful design for sure, but a few bad decisions by someone somewhere limits her potential.

Gerome

Probably my least liked character in Awakening along with Kjelle. I don't see a lot of value in him. I understand that someone who grew up in the future would be bitter and try to keep their distance, but he just goes overboard - hell, even Severa does that better than him.

He's pretty neat in Future Past though, too bad we can't recruit that version of him.

Gerome

Kinda a brat sometimes. Feed your second mom/dad to a wyvern, huh? Grounded. I love his design though, even if some of his supports can get grating with how... distant he is. I don't hate him though, I do enjoy his good supports very much. He and Lucina are a cute couple imo.

Also he looks like Char with blonde hair.

Cordelia

I like her, but I don't get the "hype" over her. She's a perfectionist, but isn't too overly smug/humble bragish about it. I enjoyed her support with Panne and Sumia a lot. When she isn't overly about Chrom, she has some cute supports. Henry's is cute, Stahl's is pretty good, I'm a sucker for Lon'qu's too. The only really *bad* one to me is her Frederick support. Also I think the fact she's a lousy runner funny and... relateable.

Cordelia - Similar to Tharja with Robin but rather than stalking, it's an angst problem. There's way too much focus on her crush on Chrom and it takes over her supports, even when she's married to someone else. As a unit, Peg Knight is win, that is all.

Gerome - ...I forgot he existed actually. Don't care for him.

oooo

Cordelia: Is a damn disappointment. A sleek, inviting design and a Shakespearian name? Way to get my attention! Getting to know her was sheer pain. (luckily my first Loki MU was a goddamn maso with his emotions.) Shes not just pining for another bloke all the time, shes actually a rather insipid character and a bit manipulative (see her supports with Severa for details and i think Virion even calls her out on it.) while still playing the victim card. Plus she cant seem to do any wrong in-universe. I just cant really like this girl. Shes really attractive, but goddamn. Maybe if her supports were less "oh you are just so talented!" and her fake modesty, id like her a bit more. As a unit, shes actually pretty decent. I find Sumia better but Cord has some cool reclass options.

Gerome: This guy right here. What an edgelord. The best part about him is that his edgelord-ness gets mocked quite a bit by other characters and its so funny. His whole exterior comes crashing down around his wyvern too. Hes really just a fucken nerd and i really like him. As a unit, he can really stomp with the right set up just like all the other kid units. My favorite dad for him is Henry (who Lissa is often fighting Cherche for) because of the set up that allows. Magic/Melee stompy fun as Dark Knight. :V

Tiamo

Gets trolled by a generic village girl when Chrom doesn't marry Sumia, Reflet, Mariabelle, Soire, or Olivia.

Like, if her entire character revolves around "I'm perfect, why won't he notice me?", it's a giant turn off.

Unitwise, she is equal to Sumia since she pretty much has the base stats of Sumia's expected growth by her join time.

Nothing really of note besides having Sol vs Sumia's Luna.

Gerome

Besides the Batman and Robin memes, I'm not particularly interested in his character? Well, besides him being the implied love interest for Lucina in the drama CDs, he has nothing going on that makes me interested.

Unit wise, he's better off than his mother with inheritance mechanics. But nothing jumps out as a "go to Wyvern rider".

Cordelia - All the Tharja hate can go over here. At least she sort-of explains why Severa is such a brat. Awful character (her fake modesty feels like a play to get pity, and her inability to take praise seals it), but she's a much better as a unit. She's not as speedy as Sumia, but I like her overall growth spread more than Sumia's.

Gerome - He sort-of fixes Cherche's class problem by getting Fighter. IMO he wants a dad with Barbarian in his line, for flying Axefaire. As a unit, he's got. . .issues. And unlike Severa, I can sort-of sympathize with his.

Cords!

Cordelia is pretty much my favorite Awakening character at this point. And honestly, its really only from her Avatar support and relationship with Severa. Ok, maybe it's also because she's kinda pretty and I like both Red Hair and Pegasus Knights, but that's besides the point.

As a unit, I already love the Katua archetype, so I really like using her. Pegasus with some decent Defense without pair-up is good, and I love swapping her to Hero.

Gerome

Meh. Never used him. Paralogue is annoying and by the time I can get him Cherche is already great.

Edited by TrueEm

Cordelia

I never really liked her, though I do have a fetish for characters with pink, purple or red hair. Her personality is okay, but I still prefer Tsubaki's sort of "perfection" over hers. Despite popular belief, her feelings towards Chrom are usually brought up by the opposite party but, even when the S rank comes up, it still feels as if she is "settling" with whoever she ends up with. I always thought it was annoying that she never gave Severa a simple apology for giving her that severe inferiority complex—it almost seems like she doesn't really acknowledge it, either. Apparently, her unrequited love still goes on far into the future, if Severa is bitter about it. I only pair her with Stahl so that Severa can have a sweet, caring father.

Gerome

I actually quite like Gerome, but it mainly stems from his design. I do like his supports with Inigo and Noire, however.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Cord

So I've seen some people talk about how some characters go over-the-top with worship over other characters. People say this with Tharja -> Robin, Rhajat -> Corrin, Oboro -> Takumi, etc... and in some cases, they're right, and in other cases, it's pretty far from the truth.

Well, Cordelia's one of those that takes this a little far. Not quite as far as Catria does with her obsession with Marth, but it does manage to leak in certain supports (*cough* Frederick *Cough*) in a bad way. It's one reason I've never had any intention of marrying her to my avatar. I mean, hell, her favorite hobby is reading soppy love stories, and she goes on and on with Frederick about how much she loves Chrom. She's a total wreck, and anyone she marries is guaranteed to be little more than a sloppy second to her.

Aside from that, I do appreciate her role in the story. You know, the other justification for her to be an emotional wreck. I mean, first she had to run away from her comrades, then she had to sit there and watch more of her comrades die because Gangrel and Aversa are shitty little cheaters. She has a reason to beat herself up over her not-so-stellar relationship with her comrades and over being "Miss Perfect". And she has a justification for continuing to push herself to be better. There's also the fact that she had plenty of time both off-screen and on-screen to prove that she's a brilliant soldier, and she doesn't particularly like the fact that everyone fawns over her "perfection".

I say this to compare her to Caeldori, as I'm pretty sure the writers don't remember what made Cordelia a popular character. The operative word here is "popular". Cordelia, by my standards, isn't really a "good" character. She's not as bad as people are making her out to be, but... well, I just don't really know where the popularity thing comes from.

Bootleg Batman

Batman with the added bonus of a fondness for his wyvern. Is there anything else to him? If there is, I don't recall...

Oh, he does hate it when people remove his mask. But that's not really a personality trait so much as a quirk, so it doesn't count...

Today's characters are Cordelia and Gerome, what is your opinion on those characters?

Cordelia:

Another character I'm not particularly fond of. Sorry honey, but Fiora already did the whole "sole survivor" thing, and she did it better than you ever could. In fact, many others have had that schtick, and for the most part they all did it better. Aside from that, her complete obsession with Chrom is terrible. Like, seriously, nearly every single character she can marry she just "settles" with because she can't have Chrom, and that's just...terrible. The only character I can think of off the top of my head that she doesn't seem to just "settle" for is Stahl. And going further, her whole fake modesty thing for attention is off-putting, which only makes her perfectionism even worse. However, I do like her design, and she is a good unit. But as a character? Nope.

Gerome:

Gerome is a character I'm kind of...unsure of. He's very distant, yes, but he doesn't come off as a jerk as much as characters like Kjelle and Severa, and he doesn't have any glaring issues like Tharja or Cordelia. So...he's okay. I like him well enough. His design is pretty cool, and he's a pretty great unit.

Cordelia:

I quite like her. Her design and voice are really nice to me and I like the whole "PTSD/survivor's guilt" thing they tried to go for but half-assed in favor of her Chromsession. Honestly most of my problems stem from there, but it is nice to get to know her and learn that she is indeed bad at things (like running). I like that she tries so hard to be perfect because she wants to be loved, but it drives people away rather than pull them in to her. Not because she doesn't deserve love, but it's just more interesting. I haven't read a lot of her romantic supports so I can't comment on the whole "settling" matter, but I'll probably look into it. All in all, I like Cordelia. I'd marry her in a male file. EDIT: I wish she properly apologized for Severa for indirectly making her measure up to everyone's standards. The support felt a little... unfinished without that.

Gerome:

i almost forgot this kid existed oops

um??? he has a wyvern. insert batman joke. his support with inigo was the only one i watched and i enjoyed the HECK out of it so i'm probably going to watch more O: (also he....has a huge forehead)

Edited by interconnecteddream

Cordelia:

I dislike her personality. Perfectionism is not my cup of tea and she needs to chill about Chrome. It is just a browser.

Gerome:

I never actually went through that paralogue to recruit him, even when I have own the game for a couple years.... Maybe I should do that some time....

Brady - I like Brady, he's a sweetie underneath the thuggish exterior. And I like Maribelle too so her son gets bonus points for that. Unit-wise, he turned into an absolute wrecking ball of a sage for me.

Yarne - I didn't really find him as grating as most people seem to? Might just be because I like Panne though. And I mean, he is the last of his species. He's usually a pair up berserker for me, and sometimes I forget just how fearsome his strength score is because he's always at the back making someone else more awesome.

Cherche - I like her, I guess. I never really used her all that much, aside from getting Gerome. By the time she showed up, most of my other main units were better.

Fredrick - One of the earliest crit lines I ever heard was "Pick a god and pray". I have loved him ever since.

Inigo - I am Inigo trash. Though I definitely agree that Fates did him better. One thing I did appreciate from Awakening though was his parent supports, particularly with his father, as well as the DLC conversations. He can show some surprising depth sometimes. Until another support retcons it away. Awakening also gives us Prince Inigo with blue hair, which is very nice.

Virion - I didn't think much of him at first, but he grew on me surprisingly quickly once I started unlocking his supports. Never really used him as a unit though, unless I wanted to pass a particular skill to his kid.

Kjelle - Kjelle... kinda mixed on her. Her whole training and strength thing didn't bother me so much, because she did well enough as a unit that I could believe it, but she really can be kind of a jerk in her supports. Especially since she definitely comes across as a misandrist... like, Sully would get competitive if a man directly questioned her ability, but Kjelle kinda just does it as a matter of course. Though I do find myself quite partial to the children in general, because I like the idea of optimising and training them and seeing them destroy things. So she gets points for that. But yeah, if she weren't a child? Probably not so much.

Tharja - There aren't very many characters I actively dislike in Awakening, but Tharja is one of them. Mostly because of how she treats her husband and child. Noire and Father bonding in their supports over how Tharja curses them both, in this case with runny noses. That's very sad. People say she has reasons for her actions, but that doesn't make them any less terrible. Literally the only reason I ever inflict her on a husband is because of Noire.

Gerome - Gerome's okay. I can kinda get where he's coming from being all aloof, and I like that he has a softer side with his wyvern. He's usually a back up unit for me, and he does pretty well at that.

Cordelia - I quite like Cordelia. I see some people talking about her modesty being false, but... it never really struck me as that? I don't know if there's just a particular support I haven't seen or something, but yeah. I kinda get where she's coming from with deflecting praise about her perfection - it kinda gives a pressure to continue that perfection, and if you can't you'd be disappointing those people, so you try pretend it isn't perfect to avoid that? I don't know, this is probably more headcanon than anything, but that's how it always came across to me. But yeah, I can see why people don't like it when she talks about Chrom in her other supports. It's really unfair to her husband.

I must agree that I'm surprised that people say Cordelia's modesty is fake. Like I said earlier, I'm neutral when it comes to her; she's got her strengths and weaknesses as a character, but fake modesty is something I've never even thought about when it comes to her.

Cordelia:

She's alright. As a unit at least. What I really hate is the implication that she pines for Chrom when there is no need for her to do so.

Gerome:

The biggest jerk and another of my not so favourite characters. I don't actively hate the kid, just his attitude. That and he'll never marry Lucina in any of my saves...

I must agree that I'm surprised that people say Cordelia's modesty is fake. Like I said earlier, I'm neutral when it comes to her; she's got her strengths and weaknesses as a character, but fake modesty is something I've never even thought about when it comes to her.

If praise is genuine, the not-fake thing to do is say "thank you". Definitely NOT this (that's the C support):

Frederick:

I was just thinking how little you have changed from when I knew you in Ylisse. Back when you served the royal pegasus knights. Always working harder than everyone and finding some task that needs doing... Phila once confessed to me that she'd have been lost without your help. I'm convinced it was her intention to eventually name you her successor.

Cordelia:

Ph-Phila said that?!

Frederick:

I envied her, in truth. I've often wished that I possessed a successor of your caliber.

Cordelia:

Come now, Frederick, sir! You go too far. People will get the wrong impression if they overhear such flattery.

And here's a bonus:

Donnel:

She must'a been mighty special if a gal as amazin' as you can't measure up.

Cordelia:

Oh, I'm not amazing, Donnel. I'm actually a very ordinary knight and woman.

Donnel:

Aw, donkey dung! You're amazin' in more ways than I could ever count!

Cordelia:

Stop that. You shouldn't try to flatter me—charming though it may be.

Since I assumed consistency with Tharja's supports (which I used to piece together her everything), I'm going to assume the same consistency for Cordelia. The fact that she's all over the place, personality-wise, isn't good. And, in light of that quote, neither is this (Kellam A):

Cordelia:

Oh, I have lots of skills, all right. But I haven't mastered any of them. I just wish there was ONE thing I could be better at than anyone else!

So Cordy knows that she's skilled, yet doesn't accept praise for her efforts. She also has issues asking for help (the, uh, entire support chain with Libra), and calls herself blunt (Virion's C or B). This tells me that her "modesty" is driven by insecurity, hence why it's fake. It can be argued that the drive is a warped self-image, but that goes against that quote from Kellam's support.

---

Bonus: Tharja. . .or more specifically, Noire and her dad. That conversation is tragic for two reasons:

1. Instead of focusing on the relationship between Noire and her dad, all they do is talk about Tharja. I don't think it's fair to either of them that they lose out on some characterization because of this.

2. This is a conversation that's about Tharja, but Tharja herself has no direct input on it. In other words, this is how other people see her - a monster who hands out curses. This is in sharp contrast to several different conversations where Tharja talks, that shows that she does possess some sense of morality and empathy (not erasing Lon'qu's memories immediately, the entirety of Virion's support chain, etc.). I guess it can be seen as a stroke of brilliance, if the reader accepts the conversation at base value, without taking the time to truly understand the implications of it.

Here I am coming in insanely late. I jammed everything into spoilers so my post doesn't take up an absurd amount of space.

Walhart and Lucina

Walhart- His arc is kind of a low point in Awakening's story, being a fairly trite series of meaningless battles with little plot momentum. As far as being a character... I guess he's fine? I don't find him especially interesting but he doesn't drive me up the wall. He just exists.

Lucina- She suffers from a less-severe version of what the Fates sisters go through, where the plot hypes her up and then doesn't really give her anything to do once she joins you. Still, I like her well enough, she's a fairly stable character and in a cast as quirky as Awakening's it's important to have a few of those. She also looks pretty cool.

Aversa and Lissa

Aversa- As an antagonist, I find her a bit bland, but decent at keeping the plot moving. Once she's on your side, though... I don't see why it was necessary to magically absolve her of everything she's done through mind control/brainwashing/whatever, especially since Gangrel also joins and doesn't get that treatment. A bit lame, as she could've been a cool recruit otherwise.

Lissa- Of everyone who could be considered a "main character", Lissa is my fave. She's cute, she's genuinely funny, she has her quirks but doesn't push it to the absolute limit, and she's got a varied platter of supports compared to some other people. She doesn't do a whole lot in the story scenes, sadly, but then again with Robin around pretty much no one does. The fact that she and Maribelle can't S-rank is the game's greatest crime.

Flavia and Sumia

Flavia- A bit underused, to be honest. I think she looks awesome and has some good dialogue, but her lack of support options hurts a lot, as it does pretty much all the late-joiners. Bit of a shame, really, but I love female Heroes so I still like her based on that, at least.

Sumia- I'm gonna go ahead and say I'm not overly fond of the "cute clumsy girl" archetype, which Sumia squarely falls into, and the way the game pushes it can get a smidge annoying. That said, Sumia does have more to her than just that, so I'm willing to forgive it. She's not my fave, but she's far from the bottom of the pile in my eyes. The scene where she punches Chrom is pretty great, too, though I'm not fond of the Sumia x Chrom pairing and how desperate the game wants you to pick it. They both can do better.

Gregor and Henry

Gregor- He's honestly pretty fantastic, with genuinely fun supports and great dialogue; one of the few characters who doesn't have any supports I strongly dislike. My biggest gripe is that I've found him to be a rather ho-hum unit, overall, but I'm willing to show him a lot of favoritism to keep him relevant.

Henry- I don't care too much for this guy. His comedic psychopathy can sometimes be hilarious, but other times it's just off-putting and weird. His affinity for crows is probably my favorite thing about him, since I love crows and other corvids.

Nah and Vaike

Nah- I like her a lot, and at least part of that is because she's better dressed than her mother. The Etrian Odyssey-level design priorities going on with Nowi make it hard for me to use her, so it's nice Nah exists. She's also pretty great as a unit (as all the manakete in Awakening are), and can be great even if you reclass her out of it. She doesn't have the best suite of supports, though, which keeps her from being a real favorite of mine.

Vaike- Chrom's true husband, if we're being honest. I like him well enough; I have a bit of a fondness for people with enormous egos who aren't complete jerks, I guess, and while he does seem hyper-arrogant at first he's remarkably nice in a lot of his supports. His support with the Avatar can fuck right off, though.

Brady and Yarne

Brady- One of the best child characters, imo, and the son of my favorite 1st-gen mom at that! I think he's kind of adorable, and genuinely funny in a lot of his supports. My biggest gripe is that, much like his mother, he takes some babying to get up to snuff (though not anywhere near as much as Maribelle), but I will absolutely shower him in favoritism every time regardless.

Yarne- His cowardice sometimes feels a bit overplayed, but overall I think he's cute. I'm not a huge fan of Taguel as far as being units goes, though, so I generally have to reclass him when I want to use him at all. Not really topping my list of fave units, but hardly offending me with his presence, either.

Cherche and Frederick

Cherche- I will admit my love for Cherche is based entirely in my love for axe-wielding ladies and dragon-riding ladies, and especially where the two overlap. As a character she's perfectly fine, but not terribly gripping in most of her supports, as a lot of her better supports focus more on her support partner than on her. Oh well, I like her regardless. I do question what's up with the back of her outfit, though; it's not really sexy, it's just strange.

Frederick- Employee of the Month in earlygame Lunatic. I appreciate that a lot of his sillier qualities are a bit understated and not the defining feature of his personality, and he's got a killer design and the best crit line in a game full of good crit lines. He's pretty fantastic.

Inigo and Virion

Inigo- While I wouldn't say I hate anyone in Awakening, Inigo sometimes tests my patience. I don't like the whole "comedic lech" thing, and Inigo sometimes lays it on so thick it leaves me wanting to punch him. I find other aspects of his personality endearing, but his incessantly lecherous behavior is horribly obnoxious to me. He gets a hell of a lot more likable in Fates, though, but I'm not sure how relevant to this thread that is.

Virion- Speaking of testing my patience, Virion! While not quite as annoying as Inigo in that specific way, and a bit more rounded overall, he makes up for it by being a crappier unit by several orders of magnitude, with classes that don't suit him at all and give him nothing he really needs. Sure, it's Awakening and everyone's usable, but still! At least he's got an appealing design.

Kjelle and Tharja

Kjelle- She's fine, but I kind of like her mother more; they have similar personalities, but Sully is quite a bit less abrasive. Not particularly grating or anything, though, and I do like female Knights, even if Awakening has a downright bizarre design for the class. Her finding Severa attractive might've raised my interest in her if it was actually able to lead to something instead of just being a gag.

Tharja- I'm not at all fond of her backstory with Noire or her stalking behavior, but I ultimately find it hard to hate her, especially with the degree of fervor that some others do. It's a shame, as I like dark mages usually, but Tharja and Henry don't really do it for me, and the fact her daughter is one of my favorites doesn't do her any favors given the way she treats her.

Gerome and Cordelia

Gerome- All around pretty good, I think; an appealing design, a likable personality, and a great unit, often regardless of who his dad is. I guess he's a bit overshadowed compared to other, more dynamic characters, but he has a special place in my heart anyway. A shame he can't get Galeforce, though.

Cordelia- She has a very appealing design, but I'm not sold on her gimmick of being in unrequited love with Chrom. I kind of wish I liked her more, as she's a pretty good unit with decent classes, but I can't really get into her personality or supports for the most part.

This took so fucking long to type and I nearly deleted it all at one point by mistake.

If praise is genuine, the not-fake thing to do is say "thank you". Definitely NOT this (that's the C support)

The problem with her is that the "Japanese way of accepting praise" is so ingrained into her, that it's a turn off.

It's bad to say "Thank you" with praise in Japan, but the way she pulls it off is... I can't really describe how I feel about it that well.

Edited by shadowofchaos

If praise is genuine, the not-fake thing to do is say "thank you". Definitely NOT this (that's the C support):

So Cordy knows that she's skilled, yet doesn't accept praise for her efforts. She also has issues asking for help (the, uh, entire support chain with Libra), and calls herself blunt (Virion's C or B). This tells me that her "modesty" is driven by insecurity, hence why it's fake. It can be argued that the drive is a warped self-image, but that goes against that quote from Kellam's support.

The problem with her is that the "Japanese way of accepting praise" is so ingrained into her, that it's a turn off.

It's bad to say "Thank you" with praise in Japan, but the way she pulls it off is... I can't really describe how I feel about it that well.

This is fascinating, because it's not just a Japanese thing; it's how you're more or less "expected" to react where I'm from as well, or you're at the very least supposed to downplay any praise a bit and not draw attention to yourself. Maybe we see very different things because of our different cultural upbringings. To me, Cordelia is acting as normally as normal can be. Again, she's got other flaws, but this isn't one of them to me.

Long story short, interpretation of Cordelia's behavior is wildly variant on the social expectation of where the viewer comes from.

For Ohio, I've seen mostly "thank you" as the go to response to praise. Some might try to downplay it, though.