Opinions on that Fire Emblem Awakening Character #1 - #51 (Chrom & Robin & Grima)

RoyLKing

Gaius - Shut up about candy. This is coming from someone who eats a lot of sweets and likes to help herself to them, but I can focus on things other than sweets!

As a unit, he's your first thief. Therefore, valuable utility from this guy.

Miriel - A mage! Whee! ...That's about it. She's way too reliant on the "For Science!" gimmick, it's kinda grating.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miriel

Kinda forget she exists. Excellent hair color and voice actress though.

Gaius

Thief, so good utility. I find him entertaining as a smooth talker. Has a surprisingly sweet support with Maribelle. Hair color looks gross on most kids though, unfortunately.

Gaius - Tries to put the "zero shits given" mask on, but it usually falls off. His best support is Maribelle, by far.

Miriel - A specimen of middling quality who has interacted with academia to the point where interpersonal interaction is stilted. She's frail, but makes a pretty good pair-up bot for a magical Robin (or she can try to do things on her own).

miriel and gaius, opinions on them?

Miriel:

She's okay. Not the worst character, not the best. She's a bit too sciencey for my tastes, sometimes it can get a little annoying. I'm not especially fond of her design, that hat is a bit much for me. As a unit, I don't really use her too much.

Gaius:

Again, not the best and not the worst. His obsession with candy is kinda dumb, and his attitude in general is just kinda...dull, I guess. It's like he's just "there" and it sometimes makes me forget about him. His design ain't great, but as a unit he's useful. At least for a little while.

Gaius

I'm neutral about him.

Miriel

I honestly think Miriel is quite underappreciated. She has her fair share of funny and even endearing supports; hers with Lon'qu makes me chuckle quite a bit and hers with Kellam makes me squeal a little at how cute it is. Initially, I was put off by her—and, honestly, I didn't quite start liking her until reading this FE fanfiction called Cycle, but I still think she has her moments. One main complaint I have about her is that she doesn't quite get any character development and I would have liked to know more about her mother and her supposed spurning for her reliance on science.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Billy Nal the Science Gal

Her thing is that she's a scholar who doesn't particularly have feelings for others. So... she's an autistic savant? Kind of? I mean, not to the point that Raymond in "Rain Man" is, but probably more like Sheldon Cooper from "Big Bang". You know, the goofy, quirky kind of autistic savant. Though since she's capable of S Supporting and expresses genuine feelings, I suppose she's more empathetic than these people. She does have some funny supports, so I genuinely like her. Not much depth to her, but I don't always need depth to enjoy a character. Still, though, a little development can go a long way.

Guy Fawkes

So another of the top picks for the Awakening Beauty Contest of 2013(?). Honestly, I only really think one of the characters that got top picks actually deserved it; I've already expressed my opinions on two of them, and this one's gonna be in the same league, so guess who the winner is...

I mean, he seems like a chill guy who does care for people to an extent. His gimmick isn't brought up in every support, which is good, though I do think his gimmick kind of holds him back. Otherwise, I'd actually like him a lot more. I certainly like him more than Asugi.

Miriel: I hate her, her personality is very boring and most of her talk just doesn't make sense, there's difference between having an intellectual talk and talking absolute non-sense. Design-wise, I hate it too, the general mage design is very bland and uncreative, and she doesn't even rock those clothes unlike Ricken or Laurent. Unit-wise, you're better off using the dark mages.

Gaius: I prefer him to Asugi much more, since his sweet talk isn't as horrible as there, though I did hate his recruitment conversation, mainly because it was so cringey/had a bad timing. Unit-wise, thieves are great in this game.

Gaius

I actually really enjoy his character. Puns, backstory details, nicknames and candy!

Unit-wise, he's a theif. Not the best in combat, although like any Awakening unit, he can be good. Either way, having Fighter means more Galeforce for the kids!

Miriel

Bland. That's about it.

Unit-wise however, she can become a nuke early game. I really like using her now because of it, plus I typically focus my Avatar in Strength over Magic.

Late game, she's a bit outclassed.

Gaius

I like him, he fills the thief slot and he's okay personality wise, like seeing his nicknames for everyone, sure his 'sweets' trait gets a little over repetitive but he has some genuine caring supports and then the good laugh.

Miriel

I feel bad I forget her...She's a good mage but I barely use the base mages in Awakening...and her supports range from "can I put down the dictionary yet? I'm too dumb for all this" to "heh" I feel she would have done better for me if it was more 'for science and insulting people without them knowing it' rather than just 'FOR SCIENCE!"

Gaius

Honestly, when was the last time people read his supports? He talks about candy and sweet things, sure, but his supports are surprisingly varied; much like Virion people seem to inflate his gimmick in their minds. Off the top of my head, his supports with Maribelle, Cordelia, Chrom, Nowi and Cherche range from sweet to pretty funny without barely even mentioning his gimmick.

I rather like him. I'm a sucker for certain tropes, and a thief with a heart of gold is one of them. It's not very rare in the Fire Emblem series, but to me Gaius is probably the thief that stand out the most aside from Sothe, and I never cared for the latter.

Miriel

She's far too science-minded (that's a word now) to be credible. Even the most asocial, socially awkward person handles conversations better than she does. I wish we got to know more about her as a character rather than the fact that she's very smar but tends to occasionally make some leaps in logic.

Laurent is essentially Miriel but with a personality, so she becomes obsolete not only as a unit but also as a character.

Miriel

I like her to some extent, though there's no denying Awakening has both deeper characters and more dynamic and entertaining ones. Since I'm not a huge fan of Tharja and Henry, I tend to let her go Dark Mage when I do use her, but ultimately I usually end up leaving that to her son and/or Noire. Bit of a shame, really, but I do like her big floppy mage hat at least.

Gaius

His gimmick isn't one I find especially charming, but unlike a lot of people he isn't quite so strictly tied to it and is allowed to branch out a bit more. I'll admit I tend to gravitate towards using Anna as my thief over Gaius simply because I like her more, but he's a perfectly fine character and objectively a better unit if only because he's got a broader support pool. I do feel bad for always marrying him to Tharja, though, but someone's gotta give Noire access to Galeforce.

Gaius:

Gaius, oh, Gaius. The first ever FE character I saw outside of smash because of some beautiful artwork I stumbled upon. Maybe I'm just soft out of nostalgia, but when I saw him show up in Awakening I almost fell out of my chair because Wow!!! This Is Where You're From!! I did find his sweets gimmick to be a little over-the-top sometimes (if people thought sumia and chrom pied their way to marriage, take a look at gaius and olivia. then again inigo looks hideous with orange hair so it's probably for the best), but I'm personally a big fan of his character. He's usually pretty chill when sweets aren't involved and is a lot more insightful and kind than others give him credit for. He's open to criticism (a trait i lack), I greatly enjoyed his support with Chrom, and has a wonderful voice actor. There isn't really anything I dislike about him, but I do agree that his hair colour ruins a lot of children units.

Miriel:

I honestly forget she exists sometimes. I didn't quite like her support with Robin because at the end of the chain it still didn't feel like they mutually understood each other. I get that she's supposed to be the For Science and difficult-to-approach type, but I think I've seen parrots that can hold a conversation better than she can. A squishy unit mixed with a personality I can't fully understand... yeah, I'm not a big fan of Miriel. But she has a great voice actress and I personally thought her confession artwork was adorable.

Gaius:

He's alright as a unit and I don't really find the "sugar" gimmick that annoying like some people do. He's a great assassin and has helped me out of a few jams.

Miriel:

Uses the largest words possible to confuse you, surprisingly I understand about two thirds of what she's saying (and Laurent is much easier to understand), the rest I have had to look up and even so the speech isn't fun to work out. Her design as a Sage is pretty cool though, and she makes for a good back up Lissa.

Ignore this post please.

Sure, no prob!

Miriel:

Never, ever really cared about her. OK, at first I was "oooh, a mage! the first one!" and then I was disappointed and forgot her for pretty much all purposes except supports.

Gaius:

This one I almost didn't care about either, except, well, thief; I like me some treasure.

Damn, just as I was about to go to bed. I'm a weak man who can't resist temptations.

Libra

Meh.

Anna

I wish they'd toned down her gimmick a little bit, but I would be lying if I said I didn't find it pretty darn funny sometimes. It's hit-or-miss, really. I wish we had more supports to flesh her out as well; maybe it's just because they're similar classes, but I'd love for her to support Gaius.

She's got a good design and I really like her voice actress. Karen Strassman has a few shaky performances, but they're thankfully outweighed by her really good ones, like Anna and Olivia and Nanako Dojima

Libra

Libra is interesting, but I never saw many of his supports beyond Lissa's. Maybe I'll go read some more.

As a unit, he's a good pre-promote that makes a good Father for many children. Not the best, but not unusable.

Also, is it bad that for him, Lucius and Forrest, I seriously use female pronouns every time? I'm not kidding, I had to go back and fix it to be he and him instead of her and hers. It's a bad habit I can't break.

Anna

Anna was my favorite character before I delved deeper into Fire Emblem beyond Awakening. I mostly liked her crit quote puns, but in general I like her a lot. She's generally still a liked character by me, even if I find Awakening Anna a bit less interesting than Fates!Anna.

She kicks ass as a unit though. She's great, although her join time is a bit... Awkward...

"Oh wait, before we escape for our lives with Olivia and Basilio, we need to go save another Anna!"

Libra - He's there? I never really read any of his supports but Tharja's, since he had the unfortunate luck of getting with her my first run. As a unit, never really used him either.

Anna - Another thief, another rather annoying gimmick. I don't like her very much, nor did I ever bother to really use her. I guess she gets decent staff utility.

Libra - He was able to fool me, and to date, is the only one that's done so. Decent staffbot, kind of odd past, but I don't have any hard feelings towards him.

Anna - Someone else that I don't like, due to her support chain with Tiki. Does better as utility IMO because she can pair up and donate movement if things get dicey.

Edited by eggclipse

Libra

So... pretty. And such a nice voice. I try and use him as much as I can because I just adore his entire character. Has pretty good supports overall, beautiful design, a class I like... there's nothing I really don't like about him, in all honesty!

Anna

Kinda forget she's in the game despite being a mascot. I don't use her too much and I don't care for her discussion with Tiki, but she's okay.

Libra

I like Libra. I wish his past was more elaborated upon, but I do understand his reluctance to divulge the specifics keeps this from happening in a way. He tends to fade into Lucius' shadow, unfortunately, despite not even being in the same game.

Anna

I really don't like Anna. If she didn't have red hair, I would say that I hated her. She is like Cordelia, except worse. No, she is on par with Tharja. This time, instead of being second fiddle to an actual person, you get to be runner-up to money. Yay? And doesn't she essentially use Tiki as a sideshow to get money before she had to be threatened to donate the money to charity? The only support of her four that I actually like was hers with F!Robin, where she gets her just deserts for not wanting to give Robin a rightful refund.

"Keep THIS up and someday I may love you more than money."

...Why are you even a playable character now? And what happened to Jake? Oh, wait. That's a different Anna.

I actually liked that Anna—and all the other Annas that knew their place as Help Girl™.

/vitriol has subsided

Today's characters are Libra and Anna, what do you think of those characters?

Libra:

I feel like I'm the only one who wasn't fooled by his gimmick. I could easily tell he was a guy with long hair. His voice is a bit feminine, yeah, but just looking at him...I wouldn't have mistaken him for a woman. As for his personality, he's pretty good. I think he has one of the few good support chains with Tharja. I do wish his past had been elaborated on a bit more, though. And as a unit, he's okay, but I usually end up using Lissa or Brady over him.

Anna:

I really wanted her to be one of my favorite characters, but she's just...not. She just kinda rubs me the wrong way, and she barely has any supports! She especially rubs me the wrong way in her support chain with Tiki. But, she isn't the worst character in the game, so I guess she has that going for her. I also think her design is good, and she's good as a unit.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

Libra

Among my favorite characters overall, despite my feeling that the "lol he looks like a girl" thing is just a bit eye-rolling. My biggest complaint is that my favorite S-Support options for him (Tharja and Maribelle) don't give much to their respective children, Libra x Maribelle in particular providing almost nothing that Brady doesn't already have. In general I wish he didn't have Priest-Mage-Dark Mage because that's just horribly redundant and unnecessary.

Anna

There's no denying that she's pretty strongly tied to her gimmick overall, an issue that's exacerbated by only having two support partners... but I still like her anyway. It helps that her supports are both genuinely funny, and that she's got such a kickass design. My only wish is that she had more support options, as that really limits her usefulness in a lot of ways.