Opinions on that Fire Emblem Awakening Character #1 - #51 (Chrom & Robin & Grima)

RoyLKing

Panne

... Honestly, I don't care for most of her opposite sex supports. She comes off as a bit past just being frosty and it's a bit... annoying. She defrosts sometimes, but othertimes I admit I get pretty damn annoyed by it. On the other hand, she does have some gems. Virion had a really good support with her, Lon'qu did, and her platonic support with Cordelia wasn't that bad at all. Please put some pants on, lass... Makes a good Wyvern Rider.

Severa

tldr: Fates did her better. The English version, to my understand, upped her... well, bitchyness to beyond tolerable levels imo. Tsundere done very wrong.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Panne

Meh.

Severa

Far too bitchy, to put it bluntly, but I can't say I like her more in Fates; she comes across as childish there, which might be closer to her Awakening counterpart. However, in spite of all of that, I do have some genuine sympathy for the girl, and there's something I just like about her. Maybe it's the pigtails, maybe it's her bluntness actually being appealing in a few instances. Still, I wish they had toned her down a little bit.

Far from the best, but not the worst either.

Panne:

I find Panne to be to much of a jerk. Her being so adamant on that whole ''manspawn'' business comes off as very unwarented thanks to Awakenings limited worldbuilding. The fate of the taguel only gets a single line of dialogue about it so its hard for me to care very much about Panne's plight or give her a free pass when she acts like a jerk. Lethe could be rude and hostile but its very well established that any Beorc who doesn't have it out for Laguz is the exception, any hostility between the races comes from the beorc and Laguz can be lynched even in areas that are supposed to favor them. The Laguz earned it to be be wary of humans but Panne just doesn't, especially because no one in the game ever gives her a hard time about her race.

Severa:

Severa is the brand of Tsundere that I really hate. They are rude, irrational and insult people without any provocations 90% of the time but they are supposed to be given a free pass because once you've jumped through several hoops they can show to be decent people the remaining 10% of the time. For me this just doesn't work. If you're a jerk most of the time then you're a jerk, no matter the rare exceptions you make. It doesn't matter that she apologies for making Owain weep in the corner, what matters is that she does it in the first place.
It also doesn't help that this kind of tsundere is usually so hostile because they want to shield themselves and not because they have any valid point to make. Its for their own gain and not to be constructive.

Though I must say I warmed up to her greatly in Fates. As Selena she has grown up and while she remains a tsundere she's no longer of the same breed as Severa was. Selena's interaction with Camilla and beruka shoes that she can be a nice without any Tsundere strings attached to that niceness. Perhaps if Severa wasn't so insufferable I would have judged Selena harsher but instead I end up liking the character growth.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Panne

Meh, kinda just there.

Decent unit I suppose. Great for the start of the Valm arc with all the riders.

Severa

I have a semi-love/hate relationship with good ol' Sevvy. On one hand, she's a total brat that it'd normally despise in real life. On the other hand, I find her bratty attitude to be used in a very funny way, interesting when explored, and kind of adorable...

Plus, I actually like Tsunderes, even if it was played down in the localization process.

Anyways, she's a child unit that's also a Mercenary, with natural Galeforce, Lifetaker and Vengeance access. With a good father, she can become a complete monster, although most children can anyways, she's just a favorite of mine.

Edited by TrueEm

Panne - ...Who? Just kidding. She's forgettable. Not to mention kinda racist towards humans, since despite the "Taguel genocide", this is rarely if ever brought up and everybody else she talks to is perfectly nice to her.

Severa - Severa I'm not sure what to think of. I sympathize with her inferiority complex (I've been outdone by my younger sister a large portion of my life), but she's just so... jerkish about it. As a unit, Cordelia is a pretty awesome mother making her one of the better kids practically by default.

Panne

Panne is meh. I liked her support with Donnel, though.

Severa

I like Severa—but only during certain support chains. I thought her support with M!Robin was pretty good, along with her support with Brady as I found it to be quite funny. I like her generic!parent support with Stahl as her father; I head!canon that his easygoing personality manages to keep her from being a complete emotional wreck with Cordelia as her mother. Speaking of which, I really disliked her support with her mother. I feel as if Severa forgives her almost too quickly, and there is no acknowledgement of the inferiority complex that makes up the core of her character. Just a simple acknowledgment and perhaps an apology would have been nice in possibly helping her resolve and letting go of the negative feelings she held toward Cordelia. One would think that that would be the issue brought up during their support, but they essentially skim over it—if not completely ignore it.

That said, I do like her design and she served her purpose when I used her as a unit.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Panne: Her being a cold fish doesn't degrade her personality in any way. She is the last of a people hunted almost to extinction, either by bandits, Regna Ferox, or Plegia. She even helps Frederick get over his fears, however few they are.

Severa: It's a fun time when your name is a corruption of the word "severe." As someone who likes Morrigan from Dragon Age (someone who has an even worse relationship with both the MC and her mother at first), I at least find her tolerable. Her Fates incarnation is even better, but her laugh wasn't that insufferable before...

Panne and Severa are up, opinion on those?

Panne:

She reminds me of the racist villains in the Tellius games, and that's not a good thing. The whole genocide thing is brought up maybe once or twice, and hardly anyone even knew about it apparently? She's just altogether too racist for me, I like her son a lot more. As a unit, again I like her son more, but she is useful in some earlier chapters.

Severa:

Part of me can relate to her since I myself have often felt very inferior, however the rest of me realizes she's a terrible jerk who doesn't deal with it the way she should. She's just a plain jerk to everyone, often for no reason at all! She has a couple good support chains, but that's pretty much always because of the other person and not her. As a unit...she's one of the best, but unfortunately I don't like using her because I don't like her.

ahaha

Gaius: He cracks me up when he says "Crivens!" and hes the only one to really use that word. As a character, i like him just fine. As a unit? N o. Hes horribly squishy and even Kellam does his job better. Given his utility can be handed elsewhere and be done better, he often gets the bench unless someone's kid is getting Galeforce.

Miriel: Love her. She makes me giggle and her aesthetic is hella great. She really is a totally awkward brainiac mage. Her enthusiasm when thinking of new ideas is too cute. As a unit, shes really squishy, but can at least attack at 1-2 range. On Lunatic, she really shines because of that. I make a point to use her cuz i just love her.

Libra: The right hand of the Husbando Trifecta. Totally dig this guy. Never fooled me cuz he really is too masculine, but alas. I do agree that Lucius did the tortured pretty monk who gets mistaken for a lady thing better, but i do love me some Libra. Mostly because hes actually a little bit snarky with his delivery sometimes. Also that bamf line: "I am your Omega!" yes. As a unit, hes really great. Out of the box, great staff bot. His combat right away, isnt fantastic but its very workable. He has a fantastic res mod that can get passed down to a kid too. His class set is cool and hes one of the best Dread Fighters.

Anna: Shes really boring. As a unit, her utility is actually better than Gaius, so she can sometimes find herself on my teams. But shes usually not on my teams for too long. Outside of her utility, shes really novelty.

Panne: Mah Panne-ney! As a character, shes a little too edgy "im the last of my kind" and its a bit ehh. But i do like her in supports. Shes actually a very gentle soul. As a unit, shes really bomb if you get her out of Taguel and put her in wyvern. Like, she might be the one you wanna use the first Second Seal on. Its so worth it. Panne is a powerhouse that way. Just, reclass her.

Severa:

tumblr_o1oneoFYiR1tdy0nco1_500.gif

Severa is a nasty bully and she needs to go and stay go. I dont care what kind of issues you have, gtfo with that bullshit attitude now. As a unit, kid unit/10. Seriously though, fuck off Severa, im not happy you returned for Fates.

Libra:

Kind of an enigma that I wish got expanded on a bit more, but I really like him. Design, voice, and what supports I've seen have all been quite pleasant. I think that's a good way to describe Libra, honestly. Just... pleasant. Kind of just soothing to look at and listen to. I love his support with Lissa.

Anna:

I know she's kind of the mascot of FE, but dammit Anna, must 99% of your personality stem from money? It's really hard to listen to her talk about anything because it always just comes back to money somehow. I don't really like her, just because if you take away the whole money gimmick there's nothing left. Then again, that could be said for a lot of characters...

Panne:

Token "last of my kind" character with a... somewhat? justified hate against humans. It gets kind of annoying, for the reasons people above have already mentioned. But she has a great voice actor and she looks so goshdarn happy in her confession art that I can't help but feel glad for her.

Severa:

Hmm, I'm a bit of a mixed bag on Severa. I really want to like her, I really, truly do, but darnit does she ever make it difficult. She's pushy, yes, bratty, most definitely, and has an inferiority complex deeper than the entire sea. But what bugs me is that (at least from my knowledge) she acts in her tsundere ways to protect herself from the expectations she has to live up to her perfect mother. Expectations from... who, exactly? Has anyone in-game specifically called her out telling her that she lacks in comparison to Cordelia? Have any of her supports had the other person comparing her to her mother? I feel like most of the time it's just her getting paranoid and lashing out at the other person for even the possibility of them pointing out anything to her. If none of her peers or parents take the time to acknowledge that, then where exactly does this inferiority complex come from? Does it stem from her own paranoia? Then why lash out on others for things they haven't said, or possibly even thought? I'm not sure, maybe I just need to read more of her supports to really get a grasp of her. Though she does seem more grown-up in Fates and I'm grateful for this. (also please.................am i the only one who read her name as "sev-air-ah" in my head)

I really disliked her support with her mother. I feel as if Severa forgives her almost too quickly, and there is no acknowledgement of inferiority complex that makes up the core of her character. Just a simple acknowledgment and perhaps an apology would have been nice in possibly helping her resolve and let go of the negative feelings she held toward Cordelia. One would think that that would be the issue brought up during their support, but they essentially skim over it—if not completely ignore it.

I also thought the exact same thing while I was reading this support! o:

Edited by interconnecteddream

It's time to get... libra with my opinions.

Liberal

The whole "looks like a girl" thing for him is more of a gimmick than it is an actual trait that's integrated with his personality. He actually doesn't look all that girly; he more looks androgynous, as in his look isn't tied to any gender in particular. Specifically, his eyes look very boyish, and he has a fairly masculine figure. His backstory's kind of interesting; I like Tharja delving deep into his childhood and being completely disturbed by it. But like others said, not much more is done with that, and beyond the backstory, he more or less gives me the same vibes as Azura in Fates, minus the whole "my life's a mystery" thing.

Anna

So if I'm not mistaken, this is the first game where Anna as a character is explored in depth. Hell, in some games before, you might not ever even see her or be hinted at. In this game, it's almost impossible to not at least get a glimpse at her. I haven't explored into Anna's story as much in the other stories, but I believe this is also the first time it's mentioned that Anna actually has a ton of identical sisters, explaining why you'd find her in so many different places.

I think they did a better Anna in Fates. Here, she mostly just seems like a merchant and nothing much else. She cons her comrades, but these stories aren't too expansive; they're just japes for japing sake, and... they aren't too funny to me for some reason. In Fates, even though she only had one support line, at least you got a more genuine side of her. In Awakening, she's all over the place, both literally and figuratively.

And again, where the hell is Jake? I know he isn't in every FE game, but we're going cold turkey on him at this point. If it weren't for the Aritian remakes, we'd probably have all forgotten he even existed.

Super Saiyan Panne

I like her more than her son, but she isn't particularly my favorite. She has some nice support lines, so she isn't mediocre. And while I understand the whole "exterminated race" thing, she could lighten up a little bit. It seems that the near extinction of one's race brings out the worst in them. Who would've thought?

Severa Gomez?

My opinion is somewhat the same here as it is on Selena in Fates. Except her shoulder is a lot more cold, usually. Maybe it's because her default outfit in this game has no sleeves, hue hue hue. And obviously, she's less mature. So generally, I like her less here than in Fates.

In this game, she's a true to the book tsundere. Even her looks are tsundere, especially since she's supposed to have red hair. She's particularly nasty, though. In Fates, she's quite a bit more laid back; sure, she still has an attitude and the whole "tsundere" thing going, but she isn't a complete tool. Yet... I dunno. I still somehow have a soft spot for her? Am I a tsundere, and I just didn't know it?

... maybe it's her bluntness actually being appealing in a few instances.

That might be the reason I don't mind her. That, and her "soft" side.

Expectations from... who, exactly? Has anyone in-game specifically called her out telling her that she lacks in comparison to Cordelia? Have any of her supports had the other person comparing her to her mother? I feel like most of the time it's just her getting paranoid and lashing out at the other person for even the possibility of them pointing out anything to her. If none of her peers or parents take the time to acknowledge that, then where exactly does this inferiority complex come from? Does it stem from her own paranoia? Then why lash out on others for things they haven't said, or possibly even thought? I'm not sure, maybe I just need to read more of her supports to really get a grasp of her. Though she does seem more grown-up in Fates and I'm grateful for this. (also please.................am i the only one who read her name as "sev-air-ah" in my head)

I'd suspect that growing up in an apocalypse would put plenty of pressure on you to better yourself, and from what it sounds like, many did talk about their reverence for Cordelia's martial skill in Severa's presence, and perhaps even did confront her about it at times. It's just that we don't ever see it because most of the characters we get aren't so sordid and petty as to bully her in this manner. But she does mention it at times. And some teens wind up having an inferiority complex without being told directly that they're lacking, so it isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility for Severa to get this way without ever being told that she's inferior.

Also, I pronounce her name more like "sev-air-uh". It probably is supposed to sound more like "severe-ah" or "severe-uh", which is why in Fates, she changes her name to "Selena"; because it rhymes, and she's the least creative of the "Awakening trio". Though the only names I remember being pronounced in-game are the names of the royals. For all I know, it could be pronounced "see-var-ay", but that'd just be profoundly inane and stupid.

Libra:

I sort of like some of his background. I think they did a better job at getting him to give off a calm, sort of 'caring but with a lot of pain' impression than the more obvious and honestly pointless "It is a boy?! Is it a girl?! Is it a bird?!" gimmick. All in all, didn't care much for the guy. Never felt like some one I wanted as a part of my team either.

Anna:

I found her greedy creativity funny at times. I always welcome a bit of comedy, although this isn't a game I particularly like to see it in, but it was funny enough for me not go get bored with her.

Panne:

I don't like beastmen in general; they are, as far as I can see, terribly done. Panne was 'meh'.

Severa:

I actually do not dislike Severa. I generally do dislike this types of 'tsundere' characters, but Severa for some reason didn't tire me out entirely. May be I believed her reason for putting up an attitude, idk.

Libra

I haven't met anyone who dislikes him and honestly I'm not suprised. He's just really agreeable. All around a nice character, but with a strong personality. Found him a bit boring on my first playthrough, but probably because he lacks the development in-game to make him a truly interesting character.

Anna

For some reason I really don't like her?? I like her design and her function as a FE recurring theme etc etc. But she's SO shallow it's simply impossible for me to feel anything but annoyance for her. She just has a flat personality and on top of that she's a jerk.

Panne

I actually didn't find her to be all that mean towards humans. Yes, she's (understandibly) bitter and resentful and wary, but in her support convo's she's willing to open up somewhat. She even surprises some characters (Robin's support comes to mind) with how sensible she is under that icy exterior. Also I really really like the taguel design and transformations lol

Avatar: It's just... I thought you might not take kindly to me asking about your people. I know it was humans like me who killed them, after all.

Panne: Humans like you, yes. But not you. You do not bear the blame for what was done, so do not bear the guilt. Guilt creates distance. If you would learn of my people, cast it aside.

Severa

I can't speak for the english dub since I play with japanese voices, but she's hardly the mean jerk I expected. From the get-go you can immediately tell that it's all for show and that she's all bark and no bite, which makes her snark much less effective, imo. Which in turn makes her more likeable, especially when she shows her sensitive side.

Panne

I like Panne, even though I'm not big on Taguel as far as gameplay is concerned. It's hard to put into words what makes her enjoyable to me, I guess I just have a thing for stern warrior types, especially if they're ladies. I find it hard to fault the racism when her backstory involves genocide, though that really needed to be explored at all to be compelling; as it is, the game sort of forgets about it almost immediately after bringing it up.

Severa

Another character who attracts an incredible amount of vitriol that I just can't bring myself to direct at her. The whole tsundere thing is undeniably an overplayed archetype, and Severa can push it to an unpleasant extreme, but I can sympathize with her enough that it doesn't come across as terribly grating most of the time (keyword being most). It helps that her and Brady's supports with each other are kind of wonderful, and pretty much anyone who has a good support chain with Brady gets points with me. Like Inigo, she ends up being more enjoyable to me in Fates, but unlike him I didn't find her a wearisome test of patience in Awakening.

Panne - Her support with Stahl is hilarious, but that's about it. Great as a unit once she stops being a bunny and tames a dragon.

Severa - Your mother's a bitch, but that doesn't excuse shit like that Laurent support. Or Owain.

Gaius - I don't mind Gaius that much. I never really used him enough to comment as a unit, but personality-wise, I never really found his sweets-gimmick too overplayed. And he does have some pretty amusing supports.

Miriel - I actually kinda like Miriel. I mean sure she doesn't act like a real person, but I can forgive that in a video game, and I found some of her dialogue pretty funny. I didn't really use her much as a unit until Lunatic, and she was doing quite decently there until the children came along.

Libra - No particularly strong feelings. I don't really use him much as a unit, and I haven't seen many supports with him. But, he does seem like the sort of guy I would like if I saw more of him.

Anna - I never used her much as a unit, but she does have some funny lines.

Panne - I like Panne. The aloof warrior thing is pretty cool, and so far as the racism goes... well, her entire species was murdered by humans. I think she suffers quite a bit from the nature of supports, she'll defrost and realise not all humans are like that in one support, only to be right back to square one in another. I saw good things about wyvern Panne, and decided to reclass her, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. She wrecks things, it's great.

Severa - I really didn't like Severa at first. I still don't really like her. She just came across as way too needlessly mean. The only reason I warmed up to her was because she turned into an excellent unit. I don't really like her all that much more in Fates, maybe she matured a bit, but she's still really harsh.

Priam

Meh.

Noire

Really like her. Yes, her gimmick is a bit overdone but I actually like the contrast between her two different selves as long as it doesn't appear too frequently. She's surprisingly normal and likeable when she's herself and often very funny when she snaps. It also helps that she's a great unit, has a lovely design (love that headband with the feather) and what I think is the best support in the entire game with Brady, which fleshes them both out very nicely and leads to the most natural S-support in a game where the romantic aspect of the support system is inherently flawed.

Edited by Thane

Priam and Noire are today's characters, opinion on those characters?

Priam:

What little they show of Priam is pretty good. They don't really show enough of him to give a proper analysis, but I like what they showed. I like him as a unit, and his design is pretty cool.

Noire:

Noire is one of my favorite characters among the time-traveling seconds generation characters, in fact she's one of my favorite characters in the game. I think she has some really, really solid supports, and I like her design. As a unit, I like her and usually find a spot for her on my team. I also just feel bad for her, having suffered Tharja's abuse for all those years.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

Priam

I associate Priam more for his paralogue then his character, and the wars over his canon but from what little I've seen of him he's cool.

Noire

One of my favorite Awakening child units. I find it very easy to sympathize with her, what with her supports with Tharja. She's alos got some funny moments as well, like her supports with Inigo. It also helps as a Dark Mage she tear enemies to shreds.

Priam

Guilty pleasure I guess. The only streetpass character I really like since he wasn't a previously dead character, has a cool design, passes down a good hair color... I don't care if he's canon or not. I like him and he reminds me of Snake. I enjoy using him too. His support with FRobin is cute.

Noire

I want to hug her. I feel bad for her, especially the entire split personality thing. She has a decent support with Severa, good support with Brady, good support with Yarne surprisingly... her color scene isn't too bad on the eyes either. I like the shades of green she wears. I made her a bride in my game and she's pretty good at it. Lets her keep bows too.

Priam - the only spotpass paralogue dude who I don't mind on concept, since he doesn't, you know, completely ruin plot deaths (especially Emmeryn's). Besides not making an already bad story worse, he's whatever. He gets amusing arguments over his canonity, beyond that, he's more or less just an "Ike knock off" without being plagued by FE10 induced Stuness.

Noire - Unlike her mother, she's okay. I wanna give her a hug. No one deserves a mother like Tharja. Ever.

Great magical unit too.

Priam: This guy exists to punch holes in our headcanons lmao. But honestly, i like, NEVER recruit this chap. I feel like hes not worth it. His map is kinda fun but like ehhhh. As a unit, i think i used him once and he was pretty ok. He comes with some really nice skills. I guess he'd be an ok throw-away husbando for making a cheap, but stompy Morgies.

Noire: MY BABY GIRL! Shes a total cute and i love her. "BLOOD AND THUNDER!" You say it, sweetie. Her split personality isnt really a split personality at all, just a really weird way she copes with things that freak her out. Still, its a result of some wacked out parenting. Poor thing. Tharja was not cut out to be a mum. As a unit, kid/10 will stomp again. I like having Donnel father her so Aptitude and Galeforce happens.