Opinions on that Fire Emblem Awakening Character #1 - #51 (Chrom & Robin & Grima)

RoyLKing

giphy.gif

Something tells me you haven't seen many of F!Morgan's supports.

Huh, I forgot about that support...

I might want to go read some M!Morgan supports. Maybe I just don't particularly like him right now since I rarely use F!MU, and therefore M!Morgan.

As someone who's seen them all, yeah. I don't much care for her Yarne support, but at the same time... yeah, I can say on a whole they're good kids.

Everyone makes mistakes and they're no exception.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yen'fey

He's there. That's all I have to say for this guy

Donnel

A good solid unit if you have both the time and resources to put into him. Can be a beast.

F!Morgan

She's kind of adorable, but the sadistic nature of her isn't doing her any favours

M!Morgan

*Massive parental bias ahead*

Not only is he the most adorable of the future boys, M!Morgan is the sweetest of the lot (parental bias in full swing here). He looks best with Chrom's blue hair makes the sibling support with Lucina that much cuter just by being him and for the most part he is terror on high noon to any enemy foolish enough to even poke him. He has a great time on the battle field showing the enemies that it's "Gameover" for them and quite frankly I adore the crit/skill lines he says. Freaking best child character aside from Lucina. (Also much, much better than Kana. Regardless of how cute they tried to make Kana, Morgan wins hands down as the best Avatar child) Morgan is one of my go to units in battle and he gets the job done with frightening speed.

Morgan

So I don't normally go around touting my own opinion like it's a fact, but people who dislike the Morgans (especially female Morgan) are basically wrong and have bad taste. They're pretty precious and adorable, and I sort of like that they have somewhat different personalities and aren't absolute clones of one another. They're also by far the most insanely overpowered unit in the game, especially if their non-Avatar parent is a 2nd gen character (despite how weird doing that feels to me).

Yen'fay

Yen'fay kind of perfectly encapsulates what a massive load of wasted potential all the Spotpass characters are, and why having some characters with such cripplingly limited support options compared to the massive pool everyone else gets is stupid and bad. I do find it interesting that he's a Yen'fay from another dimension instead of just being resurrected for no reason, but the fact he can't support Say'ri (or anyone but the Avatar really) pretty much takes that interesting bit of potential and throws it straight in the garbage. I don't hate him, but he disappoints me.

Donnel

He's a cute little country mouse and a perfect dad for Nah. Another fairly simple character, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. He grows pretty quickly as a unit, too, though by the time everyone's hitting their caps he's nothing too special anymore.

Morgan

Precious child and a cinnamon roll (well, most of the time) who has to be protected and all that. I know there's player worshipping involved, but I don't really care, Morgan hits all the right notes for me. Unlike Kanna, there's more to their character than just loving the avatar as well; they're flighty, hard working, slightly sadistic on occasion, silly and most importantly very charming.

I've never had male!Morgan, but I know his support with Nah is one of the best in the game. It's too bad female!Morgan doesn't have one of the same quality, but I'll live.

Yen'fay

Too undeveloped to have a proper opinion of he guy. If the Valm arc had been the entire game rather than lost potential: the subplot, I'm sure he would've been a swell character, but I can't judge him based on what could've been.

Donnel

Another very charming character. He realizes he can do more than just stay on a farm all his life, so he leaves to fight to save the world and constantly try to better himself. I love that he's very intelligent, just lacks a formal education, and that he's very fast learner no matter what he sets his mind too. He's essentially a coming of age character, and one I think they did rather neatly.

Morgan - I don't really remember much of FMorgan, but I like the male for the Nah support. Also, they're literally the most OP unit in the game in grind runs.

Yen'fey - Manages to avert the standard spotpass issue by being from another dimension, but at the same time, his main game self was... Huh? Like, what? Makes no sense. Joins way too late as well, I already have a bunch of superhumans by the time he gets recruited.

Donnel - is cute I suppose. A pain to train, though if you have access you can slap a Paragon on him the moment you get him. He also passes good classes to his daughters, including the coveted Pegasus Knight, as well as mercenary.

Kellam

Meh.

Say'ri

Meh.

Basilio

Awesome voice, funny lines, cool design apart from the ridiculous warrior "armor" and overall a solid supporting character. He's not particularly complex, but he gets the job done and entertains the player while he's at it, so he's okay in my book.

Morgan and Morgan

The Morgan's may one of the top characters in Awakening. They never fail to be amusing and charming. They sometimes even bring that charm to characters that don't have any when supporting with them. Things like Male Morgan with jerk Kjelle or no support Walhart being an hilariously inept father figure. They also avoid the pitfalls that characters who love a player avatar so much should fall into. Despite praising the Avatar so much the Morgan's clearly stand on their own.

Its pretty great that their gender causes personalty differences. Female Morgan is more mischievous and intentionally funny while the male one is a huge dork who's probably less intentional in his funny lines. I wonder why Robin and Corrin don't really have such a divide between male and female.

Yen'fay

Something went wrong with Yen'fay. He gets hyped up as this amazing guy, never does anything on screen, then appears a single time and dies. After this the game and even Wallhart start asking us to be impressed by this guy. Becoming playable doesn't do him any favors either. He remains boring from start to finish.

Donnel

Donnel is pretty good. If you want to have a villager join you might as well give him a great accent. His supports are pretty great too but Donnel isn't really my type of unit so I tend to bench him.

Kellam

Kellam isn't much more than his defining joke but since its taken to amusing extremes I don't really mind. Then again he doesn't really interest me either.

Say'ri

Who? Being so incredible dull must be a family trait.

Basilio

Basilio has an amazing design and an amazing voice so I quickly took a shine to him. He comes off nicely as a jovial, party loving but not foolish guy.

On the negative side Basilio is probably the poster boy of Awakenings weird support selection when it comes to character of the same gender. There isn't any reason why he shouldn't support with his right hand and former rival. This also goes for him and Olivia.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Kellam

Who?

Kidding, kidding. I like him. Good character. Good unit.

When his gimmick isn't being overused, he's actually a pretty interesting character.

Say'ri

Needed more supports. Good character though. Also a good unit, she's basically a replacement for Lon'qu if he gets RNG screwed or not used.

She's pretty serious, although she lacks the character development she needed.

Basilio

He's cool. We share a birthday.

Again, he needed more supports. Maybe with Chrom or Lon'qu. Actually, a support with Gregor could've been very interesting...

His story presence gives him enough personality, but he lacks any form of backstory or... really anything beyond being kinda cool.

Edited by TrueEm

Sully: The rightful queen of Ylisse. She is the best and i love her. I really get where shes coming from too. I love how she does not judge other women like Sumia for their choices. Shes also really funny. As a unit, shes pretty great and unlike Stahl, works really well in her native class tree.

Stahl: The green guy. He got the personality of a paper bag, but at least hes nice. As a unit, he likes being in myrm class line. He passes very solid things down as a daddy.

Morgies: Im fond of the Morgies'. I vastly prefer fMorgs cuz shes too cute and her shit disturber personality makes me grin. mMorgs is a bit dull but cute in that derp sort of way. As a unit: the Morgans stomp everything. Its just another Avatar unit that you can mold even more with their mods and shit. Best units in the game besides the MU.

Yen'fey: Cool design, but really unmemorable overall. His paralogue chapter is more fun than he is. As a unit, meh.

Donnel: Personality is literally Hayseed. And its a little annoying tbh. That overacted backwoods accent grates on my nerves. Hes a nice kid but bleehhh. As a unit, lmao. Aptitude is nice on a kid unit and so is the option to get Galeforce.

Kellam: His whole "no one sees me" schtick is really up in your dome. Thats the real downside to him. Ive only really seen his other, more sensible farmer guy act with Donnel supports. Otherwise, its people not realizing hes not a ghost. As a unit, this is where i like Kellam. He can be a big ass thwomp in the face of the enemy, or a really tanky and strong thief. I tend to use him more for thief work cuz hes so sturdy.

Say'ri: She is incredibly bland. I like her antiquated manner of speech but shes so uninteresting. D: As a unit, rather uninteresting here too, but at least she can get Galeforce which is kinda cool.

Basilio: His brown Feroxi arse is too amazing. I really love this guy's whole presence. Plus he looks like Nick Fury. As a unit, hes not terribad but often doesnt make it on my teams.

yooooo

New characters are up, and their names are Kellam, Say'ri, and Basilio.

Anything you wanna comment on those characters?

Kellam:

Eh. He's not one of my favorites, but I don't dislike him. I don't really care for his gimmick. I don't really like his design, but that's mostly just because I don't like the design of the knight class in this game. As a unit, he can be pretty beastly!

Say'ri:

She's okay. Like Virion, she had a lot of story potential that was wasted. But unlike Virion, she doesn't have many supports to fall back on. But, I still like her. I like her design, and as a unit she's okay.

Basilio:

I like him, he's cool! I really wish he had more supports, it makes no sense that he can't support Olivia, and a few other characters. But still, he's cool, what's shown of him during the story is good. I like his design, or at least I kinda do. The generic units of his class and the other characters using it look kinda funky. As a unit, I don't use him much despite my liking of his character.

I like that I get to talk about Morgan here, since we've been getting several Kana topics in the Fates boards.

Morgan Freeman

It's like I said in other threads and what Thane said; there's more to Morgan than pure player worship. And to add to that, the writers actually do something with her (I'll refer to Morgan as a female - and thus Robin as a male - unless I'm talking specific supports) adoration for her parents. Robin is her role model, and betters herself in all the necessary ways. Because of that, she's constantly improving both her intellect and her empathy for her comrades. And her less serious side (the mischievous and playful side) is endearing without being jarring. It's less jarring because she has been developed in a way that lets her be both serious and adorable.

All in all, a great model for avatar children to take inspiration from. Morgan's a kid you can feel proud of.

Fenway Park

Yeah, I'm not gonna keep mentioning me never playing the Spotpass maps... you can't make me, dammit! Though I think the only one left is Emmeryn anyway, so it hardly matters.

Didn't much care for him, given that I didn't much care for Say'ri either. He just shows up last minute, and after this build up to you hating him, you find right after he dies that he's actually a good guy in a bad situation.

His situation reminds me of Solidus Snake in MGS2; how Solidus was built up to be such a horrible villain, but then you learn that, while his goals are somewhat selfish, he ultimately was trying to do a very noble thing. However, in Awakening, it wasn't done nearly as well as it was in that game, and given how so many people shit on MGS2, that says a lot for how much of a disappointment Yen'fay's story is. Though it isn't his fault; it's due to how late and short the Valm arc is, and how that arc relies so much on building up so many villains. So really, it's more a testament to how difficult it is to do world building in, like, six chapters. I mean, it can be done, certainly, but you need to be mindful of how you'll lead your audience, more than anything.

Duane

So he's the first guy I've run into in a fantasy world who talks kinda like me. I mean, I'm not the most "western" sounding person - especially not compared to my neighbors - but we share the accent and a lot of the vernacular. So naturally, I'm more inclined to like him.

He has some nice supports. I like that even though he talks like a dumb farmer, he's actually pretty quick to learn lots of things, which makes his unique level 1 skill... apt... I'm sorry. Aside from him being a farmer with a western accent, he doesn't really have any horrible gimmicks plaguing him. He's just a swell guy who learns fast, wants to help out in any way possible, and wants to experience the world. And I don't understand people who hate training Donny; I love setting up strawmen for him to kill and grow into an absolute monster.

His design is okay too, but that pot is...kind of odd, I guess. I never really cared for all the villagers wearing pots.

The pot is what gives him his secret mind powers! Haven't you always found it weird that a supposedly random chum can be so smart? As for the other guys with pots, they only use the pots as brain shields, which is why they always hold 'em down in their portraits. That way, neither telepathy nor chemtrails can infiltrate their minds. Their minds aren't as potent as Donny's since they don't have a backwoods accent, so they don't get mind powers.

*Null*

I'm surprised at how many people don't think he's terrible or forgettable. I do like his farmer side, but I've only really seen it in his supports with Donny Matrix. His gimmick isn't too offensive, but it does stunt him as a character. I think if anything, his particular gimmick does well to highlight why it's terrible, even if it's not the worst gimmick ever. I mean, you have this guy trying to reach out to people, but they don't see or interact with anything beyond the gimmick. It's a literal illustration of the fault in gimmick characters. It's actually kind of poetic, in an extremely ironic way.

Say'no'to'drugs

All her supports with Robin Hood are is her talking about her culture. That's... really all there is to it. And basically, her culture is Japan. So... absolutely nothing new. Oh, and I think she has supports with Tiki. Never really did those, though.

As far as her role in the story, it's forgettable. I can't even remember in what way she was important other than as a leader of some resistance in Valm. Was she a royal or noble? I know Yen'fay got a stupidly good sword, which is probably what inspired Ryoma's ridiculous blade, so I know they were of some importance beyond their roles in the war. And then after the war with Valm, you never even see her again in the story until the endgame shoutouts. So... yeah, they don't really give me a reason to care for her, and I so naturally... well, I don't care for her.

Basilisk

He's actually a really charming dude! Sure, he has the same amount of supports as Say'ri and some others, but he has a lot of story relevance. He's always there, ever since you team up with him against Plegia. And like someone else said, he's both jovial and stern. For the influx of new fans that Awakening brought, he was the first character they'd complain about not having enough supports, along with possibly a few others. The writers need to learn to not put any stock in this "limited support" hogwash for these characters.

And I think we can all appreciate what he did for our army during the plot-twist. Bless his brown Feroxi arse ;_;7

Kellam

He and Stahl were hetero(?)sexual life partners in my Hard-Classic playthrough, forming an impenetrable physical wall. So that was pretty cool. I enjoy his gimmick, and his struggles to overcome it. We won't soon forget you, Kellogg's.

Say'ri

We learn so little about her, and her story role doesn't necessarily make that much sense. But she is one of the most important characters of the Valm Arc, so that's something. I've never quite used her in combat (I keep meaning to), so I can't say much about that. In another universe, Say'ri might have her own Fire Emblem game, where she's the Lord who builds up a homegrown army to stop the evil Conqueror, the manipulative Sage, and a misled Crown Prince. A shame she doesn't have her own child, too.

Basilio

Nick Fury proves that he can manage a country as well as he can manage SHIELD.

The two of them are also quite good at playing dead.

He's a lot of fun to have around, but I really wish he had a paired ending with Flavia.

Kellam - The "No one sees me" thing is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overdone. Really.

Say'ri - Oh right, a prepromote I never used. While she's not as stupid as her bro, I don't remember much else about her. Her design's nice enough I guess.

Basilio - I'm not a fan of this guy. He's associated with the asspull involving the fake stone, and isn't particularly amusing to me to make up for it. So yeah, screw him.

Kellam

The whole nigh-invisibility gimmick is funny maybe once or twice and then just becomes weird and unfunny and honestly makes almost everyone else seem rude. He does have, like, a couple support lines that don't focus on this at least, but he's overall too bland for me to really claim him as a favorite of mine. Still, he's inoffensively boring instead of straight-up agitating, and he's probably the bulkiest thief you could ever hope for.

Say'ri

Like pretty much everyone who suffers from Avatarsexualitis, she doesn't provide enough to really be compelling as a character. I still like what little we do get, though, and she certainly looks pretty cool; maybe it's just my fondness for female Swordmasters, but of the game's default Myrmidons/Swordmasters the outfit suits her the best in my opinion. I usually go to Lon'Qu for my Swordmaster needs because I like him better and he doesn't have like two supports, though.

how many characters have i shown bias towards for the reason "they're a female x" at this point

Basilio

This guy gives me a bit more to work with than Say'ri if only because he's in the story scenes more than her, but my feelings on him are pretty much identical to my opinions on Flavia; neat, but underused. I guess the Warrior outfit is a bit odd, but he can pull it off. I honestly wish IntSys would stop providing interesting characters like him and then giving them a support pool as shallow as a puddle, especially when those characters have history with other members of the cast.

Edited by whenbananasattack

Even though I'm late, here are some new characters, Olivia, Laurent, and Tiki, I'm pretty sure you people have some opinions on these, the question is, what is that opinion going to be?

Even though I'm late, here are some new characters, Olivia, Laurent, and Tiki, I'm pretty sure you people have some opinions on these, the question is, what is that opinion going to be?

Olivia:

She's pretty cool. The whole "timid around men" thing is certainly nothing new, but this gimmick isn't turned annoying or creepy like with some other characters and their gimmicks. She has some solid supports, and she's of course very useful as a unit and for passing down that certain popular skill. Her design is okay, too.

Laurent:

I like him! He has that whole science-thing just like his mother, but he shows more personality in his supports. And his supports are pretty solid, in my opinion. I like his backstory, and as a unit he is of course very good. I don't like his design, though...those dumb witch/mage hats!

Tiki:

Another character I like! I like her design, her supports, and her as a unit. That's really all I gotta say about her. She's great!

Alright, let's get down to some logistics.

Bill Nye, the son of Billy Nal the Science Gal (aka Laurent)

A gratifying subject, to be certain. This specimen contains an enervated literary appeal device, yet also is comprised of an attractive temperament and, unlike his maternal unit, prepossessing origins. His succor exchanges provide both satisfactory elation and substantial advancement of his and the other party's personal maturation.

All in all, I'm sick of looking at a thesaurus, so I'll just say... he isn't just some gimmick or jerk, and I like him. And he's the only one to mention the disparity in arrival times among the children, so he brings an interesting plot element into discussion.

Adult-sized Tiki

I'm so sorry. So here we have Tiki, all grown up as "the Voice". She definitely has grown to be more mature, which makes it a little odd when she still says that notorious pet-name, though I think the game actually recognizes the bizarre nature of that. She also has a big role in the story, yet is just as capable of dying as anyone is in a Fire Emblem game. I suppose she might have some good supports, but I haven't gotten into all of them yet. Shame about her and Anna, though. But I still am fond of her, even if the last time the series saw her was as a loli.

Olivia, the timid anime girl

Yeah, gotta love it when Japan crams one of these kinds of girls down your throat.

She isn't half bad, in all seriousness. She has some nice supports, and I do find it kind of funny that the girl is timid even though her main occupation is one that demands many eyes on her. And of course, being a dancer, she is definitely useful, though admittedly less in this game than in previous entries. I don't really have much more to say about her.

Olivia

As others have said, her gimmick is nothing new and certainly nothing exciting, but she's got surprisingly decent supports in spite of that. She's great with Lon'qu, adorable with Ricken (the support which was probably the source of inspiration for Sakura and Azura's support in Fates) and whimsical and very funny with Maribelle. Not the deepest character, but she's certainly not only her gimmick, and I rather like her.

Laurent

Miriel done well. He's got a personality to balance his observations and science geekery. He's also got the best line in the game at the end of Future Past 3 when Lucina is readying herself to finish Grima. "One miracle after another has made this possible. Now it's time for one more!" Man, gives me the chills with that music.

Tiki

I'm surprised this lady didn't get the attention Camilla did, what with her superior design and, uh, similar physical characteristics. Anyway, I wish she had more supports, but I love her theme, voice and the loneliness aspect of her heritage. Her support with Nah is fantastic, actually, and I'm a big supporter of cross-generational supports already. Realizing that everyone around them would one day disappear, the two become friends to face their long, long future together. It's actually very touching, and I appreciate Tiki's wise mentor role in that conversation.

Kellam

Mostly benched as soon as he's recruited I tend to grind much later on if I want to use him. He's just there for the most part.

Say'ri

She's benched straight away as I always have better units than her and she's just there as plot fodder.

Basilio

Awesome crit lines, good solid design, arrives a bit late but not as late as the spot pass characters

Tiki

Not even worth having because Nowi or Nah are usually better than she is. Tiki is picked up just because I can.

Olivia

Freaking useless as a unit and has the same problem as Sumia off the battle field (Self insulting) Olivia isn't someone I would have on the front lines but rather would keep around as fodder...

Laurent

More personality than his mother, Miriel but uses the same infernal oversized words for what is needed. As a unit he kicks ass.

Tiki - I liked her in 11. I did not like her so much here. She exists.

Laurent - He's a better Miriel, basically. The "For Science!" Thing doesn't take over like her. And there's the interesting issue of being dropped off earlier than everyone else, and the isolation that resulted from that. He's actually a bit like me. As a unit, he helpfully gets DualSupport+ from Miriel which is nice, on top of Rally skills he can get from his dad.

Olivia - A unit you want to get Galeforce on, for Inigo's sake. Excellent utility as a dancer, and can make a powerful offensive unit with training. Also passes really nice classes to Lucina. As a character, she's cute, and I like her Henry support, but can't remember much besides that.

Olivia is a Dancer, not sure how she's "useless" as a unit.

It's not really her fault but rather how the maps in Awakening were designed. I wouldn't go as far as calling her useless, but she is definitely one of the worse refresher units in the series, from a gameplay perspective.

Edited by UNLEASH IT

Tiki-wiki

Ah, the original 1000 year old Loli is finally looking legal. I actually really enjoy this version of her character too.

Good unit, although it's a shame she gets reclassing as the same as Nowi.

Olivia

Olivia has some really great supports and is a very solid character.

Outside of being an amazing Dancer, once reclassed she can actually do some damage. Assassin Olive is fun...

Whos last? Laurent? Eh, never been a fan. Granted, I never got him until recently-ish, but I find him boring atm. Maybe I should go read some supports of his...