Opinions on that Fire Emblem Awakening Character #1 - #51 (Chrom & Robin & Grima)

RoyLKing

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's just avoid talking about shipping wars in this case, as bad pairings don't necessarily equate to a bad character. Does that sound fair?

It was never about shipping wars.

The initial questions that were brought up and never answered were:

How is Cynthia a bitch?

And how does her being stupid about Chrom, which may or may not be her father, facilitate such a label?

How is the opinion of Sumia cheating on Chrom justified? Since the justification given was Cynthia not recognizing Chrom as her father, how did they come to that conclusion from that context?

Because let's face it, Cynthia being stupid about her father leading to "Spouse cheated on them" is a pretty fast to think the worst opinion of a character.

The only two things I'm trying to prove are:

That they are saying one thing "Okay with Sumia and Cynthia" and yet displaying something else with their actions.

It is as if the opinion they say they have of characters is different from what they actually feel about them.

Any of the other stuff is proving with quotes that I am not personally attacking them and disproving what they are accusing me of.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Sorry. It just didn't seem as though you understood it from where I'm sat so I figured I'd try to provide clarity.

Thanks, I appreciate the thought.

Oh, right, I missed someone.

Nono

"No means No"

Her design as a manakete... like I understand they were trying to make a loli Tiki throwback...

But... why?

I know Kozaki has his hands tied sometimes... but...

It can't wrap my head around it.

Her supports are great, however. Focusing on why she's the way she is. And Nn's issues with her.

Kinda wish she was just slightly more reserved on character design like FE3 Tiki, though.

Unitwise: Nono is a great tank on Lunatic. Especially with her two range Dragonstones. She's a godsend in that regard.

Kamui wishes they had FE13 dragonstones.

Edited by shadowofchaos

It was never about shipping wars.

The initial questions that were brought up and never answered were:

How is Cynthia a bitch?

And how does her being stupid about Chrom, which may or may not be her father, facilitate such a label?

How is the opinion of Sumia cheating on Chrom justified? Since the justification given was Cynthia not recognizing Chrom as her father, how did they come to that conclusion from that context?

I'll be honest, I didn't read the whole thing because I was just kinda seeing a bit of an argument kinda funk up a rather pleasant topic so that is my fault in that regard.

As for Cynthia being a bitch? I can see it. She's completely unreasonable in her Paralogue and doesn't listen to any real form of reason from your party unless they specifically talk to her again and with Sumia, she specifically had to see the ring to understand that it was time traveling shenanigans (come on Cynthia, you didn't think to look for the BRAND!?). And her supports don't help either where some of them for instance with Female Robin, Robin has to basically tell her twice that she could die by striking poses in the middle of the battlefield. Or with her father where she throws pedals in his face not really thinking of the consequences of how the father would feel about it. Such as giving him an either or option rather than "would you actually like to do this?" Lucina non-siblings support doesn't do Cynthia any favors either. If you're going with bitch = overbearing, I can see how one could come to that conclusion. Even Owain/Wood despite the heroic complex, doesn't really get in people's way with it. He's just really weird.

That I don't see. I just see that as Cynthia being really, really stupid. Especially because in a universe where Lucina is her sister, I can't see Lucina being that much older (so old that Chrom is dead and Cynthia can't remember what he looks like).

Except she never mentioned any of that.

She just called Cynthia a bitch and ranted about Chrom being her father doesn't make any sense. And her hair being hideous in blue. How many times has she mentioned this? In other threads? She focuses on this a lot, borderline obssession. She repeated it word for word when Sumia was a unit featured in this thread, when no one even mentioned it.

That's not "I'm okay with them" or "I dislike them", that's hate.

If anything, she probably doesn't even know any more details about Cynthia or the characters she dislikes than just piggybacking of other people's statements. (Quotes upon request)

Essentially, you just made her argument for her.

Which is why I'm looking for a legitimate "why" from said user.

To, you know... back up the opinion.

And to show how their intense language for characters isn't "hate" and just "dislike".

Being stupid =/= bitch.

There's an underlying reason why they chose that word, and I'm pretty much saying she hates the character, but won't care to admit it.

It's like that one inconsistency in story is any bigger than all the crap Awakening does in general.

Keep in mind that all Awakening's media can be argued, even preferring Male Robin over the female variety as secondary, being gay for Chrom.

I don't see why this one inconsistency warrants "hideous" in all caps, "bitch", "useless"...

Also:

To assume the worst possible thing you can do in a marriage over a child's stupidity is really shallow.

it's as if the reason they're demeaning a pairing's value all they can... as if to say... there is a better... option...

Hmmm... fancy that...

I wonder where I've seen this tactic before...?

Could it be the MU x Chrom fanfiction out there....?

Edited by shadowofchaos

From personal experience the terms can either be meant sincerely, which is usually the case for friends, a significant other or from parents to their children. Alternatively it's used sarcastically which appears to be the context she's used when addressing you.

No it's not sarcasm in the way I intended it. I was trying to be nice actually, but hey since when was that a good idea?

Kamui wishes they had FE13 dragonstones.

So do I.

I actually kinda wish Manaketes were in FE14. Having a total of 3 Dragonstone users is fine, but the lack of any real need to buy them is a little silly when you get the option to do it.

Beaststones are excused because of Beastrunes and up to 5 possible characters via the third route.

No it's not sarcasm in the way I intended it. I was trying to be nice actually, but hey since when was that a good idea?

Friend, I hate to tell you this, but when it was used, I (from the outside perspective of this entire... "debate") felt as though it was used in a demeaning context. For future reference, I'd suggest either not using it, or instead considering every possible way your words may be perceived. I know I personally have a habit of jumping the gun a bit in a heated conversation. Just try to be more considerate with what you're saying and ideally provide reasons and examples for your opinions right off the bat. Otherwise conversations like this will arise time and again and people will ultimately come to hate one-another on differing opinions for very little reason.

cou ghs i personally have my own two cents on the drama going on right now but i'll keep quiet

Anyway, did you guys know I'm horrible at keeping up with things? Time to catch up!

Priam: His design looks weird to me and I have no idea what he's really like besides an Ike callback, but his confession quote is very sweet.

Noire: Goodness, props to her voice actor! I just have to get that out of the way first. I like Noire, and she's a sweet girl, even with her player worship to f!Robin in their support (which i thought was adorable, personally). But there's always a sense of wariness in my mind when I see anything having to do with her just wondering when she's going to flip. But I love her design, especially when she has dark hair to go with the white feather and green clothing. Her support with Brady was the sweetest thing ever.

Sully: Even if I haven't read a lot of her supports, I like her and I can appreciate the tough woman niche she's supposed to fill. (not so much the toilet bowl armor. gdi why did you guys have to point that out to me now i can't unsee it,) Great voice acting, and I hear she's a pretty good unit, but pretty replaceable.

Morgan: A precious child in both genders. They win over Kana for me, just because they have more to them besides just loving the avatar. M!Morgan's a sweet dork while F!Morgan's a slightly sadistic dork, but I still feel a sense of pride over them, if that makes any sense? You get the sense that they're both working hard for what they want and they're just so easy to love. (I love F!Morgan's supports with her possible siblings, and I always laugh at the "SCREAM AT YOUR AMNESIAC SISTER!" line) And completely broken on the battlefield, from what I gather. I like that their personality differs depending on gender, for some reason. They didn't have to go the extra mile with differentiating the personalities, but they did, and I appreciate that.

Yen'fay: No real opinion of him. He just kinda shows up and goes, even when there could have been so much more to him than what we got.

Donnel: A country boy trying the best he can. He has pretty good supports and a hilarious accent, so yeah! I like the guy. I'd definitely take the time to train him to make him the hero he dreams of being.

Kellam: who He has a really sweet confession quote and a good support with Donnel, but I haven't really gone out of my way to learn more about him. He definitely seems like a lonely, nice guy who's a tank on the battlefield. I'd give him a hug.

Say'ri: I love her design and her voice so much, but why does she just have so... little? Her support with Tiki makes my friend and I cry would you still have me knowing i cannot stay long and she seems nice enough. The story behind her and her brother definitely could have been expanded on, which is disappointing given the scale of Awakening's worldbuilding.

Basilio: Like others have said, a fun and passionate guy. Too bad we don't get much more than that, but I like him just for being feisty.

Lon'qu: Probably my other Awakening husband if I could ever get myself to stop marrying Chrom. I like the image of the cool, quiet swordsman, even if Lon'qu is literally a porcupine with the way he acts sometimes. I like that his Summer Scramble with Gaius gives us the little tidbit that he likes bugs and played with them a lot as a kid; I thought that was cute, and a bit more to him than just "strong cool swordsman who's afraid of women". I should probably watch his support with Cherche.

Emmeryn: I'm partially neutral on her, but I'm in the corner that considers Spotpass characters and their stories non-canon. I'll never be over the fact that her sacrifice was meaningless and she can't even support with her siblings. @IS if you're going to make a big scene and impact out of character deaths!!!!!!!!!keep!them!! dead!!!!!????/

Gangrel: Blech. I've seen better. I'll never understand why you can ever marry him. When I first learned that I had to stop and gag for a moment. Considering all he's done, it's so gross and completely unthinkable. Just imagine Chrom's best friend and chief tactician marrying the mad king who drove his sister to suicide...

Maribelle: I like her! I mean, in that given setting I probably wouldn't be able to stand her, but she means well under all the snootiness and she has some pretty good supports. A squishy unit, but she can still do her job.

Excellus: hhgnfmgnmfnmgfnmgnm

Validar: sighs

Chrom: I like him a lot for reasons I can't quite name. I can say that I would really have trouble marrying anyone else as f!Robin... Maybe it's Matthew Mercer, maybe it's the straight-man-but-also-a-socially-awkward-dork combo that gets me.

Robin: I appreciate Robin a lot more thanks to Corrin, if anything else. Like someone else said, Robin has more iconic lines (TIMETOTIPTHESCALES!) and overall just feels more right in the universe, being the tactician because we as the players are calling the shots about how to proceed in the game while Corrin is usually undeserving of both the worshiping they get and the title of leader of the army. It also helps that Robin can be very to the point and snarky, while still being a good mirror for the other characters to bounce off of (though that is the job of the avatar, usually). I would almost say that Robin feels too much like their own character for me to self-project onto them, but I don't mind that at all after, again, seeing what happened with Corrin. All in all? I like Robin a lot.

Nowi: I almost forgot about her too, actually. Her design is kind of cute, what with all the hearts and everything, but boy does she just scream legal loli pandering. I wish they could have taken her seriously as a childish manakete without needing to resort to cape bikinis. But I like Nowi, she has pretty solid supports because her carefree personality brings out a lot of different sides of the people around her. I haven't seen much of her lonelier "I just want a friend but they all disappear" side, but I like her well enough to give her a pass.

I missed out on the Fates character thread, so I'm glad I at least got to make it up with this one :D

Friend, I hate to tell you this, but when it was used, I (from the outside perspective of this entire... "debate") felt as though it was used in a demeaning context. For future reference, I'd suggest either not using it, or instead considering every possible way your words may be perceived. I know I personally have a habit of jumping the gun a bit in a heated conversation. Just try to be more considerate with what you're saying and ideally provide reasons and examples for your opinions right off the bat. Otherwise conversations like this will arise time and again and people will ultimately come to hate one-another on differing opinions for very little reason.

Alright then, I will. Thanks :D:

Yes I did actually, but you didn't pay attention to what I was saying. I've said it twice now.

Please quote yourself on the acceptable justification to call someone a bitch based on hair color and stupidity?

And how it is logical to assume infidelity based on a child's stupidity? Keep in mind this is a romantic ideals based game where it is "first love", and there is no divorce or infidelity.

How is putting "hideous" in all caps and using "bitch" being "okay" with a character and not hateful based on language alone?

Please, provide irrefutable proof of your explanations by quoting to these individual points and get me to shut up once and for all.

You addressed it twice, yes? Should be easy enough.

FYI, your response is called a red herring. There were only three points I made during those walls of text, and all of your responses have either been "I've already said it" or always come back to "I'm okay with Sumia and Cynthia, stop putting words in my mouth".

They never actually address the points.

no one is calling Cynthia on the stupidity of working out if Chrom's her father or not. Other than that Cynthia is fine and without the self belittling of Sumia I can apreciate why people like her.

Everyone calls out Cynthia on this in this forum.

It's just that no one here cares enough to bring it up every single time. It is not Cynthia's defining trait.

i.e. No one gives a crap who Chrom marries to this degree.

And that is not a justification to call them a bitch.

Would you call someone a bitch in real life for not being called out on something? In what society is that normal?

Edited by shadowofchaos

Yes I did actually, but you didn't pay attention to what I was saying. I've said it twice now.

Where, exactly? Give me a specific place where you gave full reasoning as to how Cynthia's stupidity means Sumia had an affair, or how that's jerkish rather than stupid.