Opinions on that Fire Emblem Awakening Character #1 - #51 (Chrom & Robin & Grima)

RoyLKing

Walhart - Ah, a symbol of the incredibly rushed mess known as Awakening's plot. The Valm arc could be its own game focused on Say'ri or Virion, but no, we're instead left with a bunch of woefully underdeveloped antagonists, Walhart among them. Ugh.

Design wise, not what appeals to me. The bright red armor doesn't help his case either.

Lucina - The FE13 lord who bothers me the least, overall. I don't have much to say about her. She exists.

Design-wise, she's Marth, but female. Nothing too exciting here. Again, she exists.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walhart

He is the original lobster lord and way cooler than Ryoma in that regard. He is an incredibly badass character who stops at nothing to reach his goal. I like that his entire character is kind of like an antithesis to Chrom's, in that Walhart intents to use force to unite the world while Chrom wants to do it the peaceful way. Out of all the FE13 villains, he is probably my favourite, next to Yen'fay. Unit-wise, he may be a bit underwhelming given the in-story hype of him being much stronger than Chrom or anyone in the army, only matched by Priam and (maybe) Basilio. He can only support Robin and comes in incredibly late, but he still sees some use in my playthroughs.

I also love calling him Walmart and/or Walhart/-mart the Fabulous for his fancy, white hair.

Lucina

Ah, yes. Everyone's favourite waifu/daughter-u.

Let's start with this: I like her character, voice (in both languages, although her Japanese one is slightly better suited for her in my opinion) and design, especially because it isn't as fanservice-y as some of the other's (Tharja and Tiki come to mind).

As a unit, she wrecks house (then again, who doesn't in Awakening?) and can be made into a superior version of her father given the right mother (Sumia, Olivia or the Avatar) or even a powerful mage (with Maribelle as her mother). It is also really easy to train her, due to her having a weapon that doesn't break.

My favouritism for her ends there, though. While I like Lucina, there are characters I like more than her and she is far, FAR away from being my 'waifu' or anything of the sort. The bro code shall stay intact in my game.

Wait, hold the phone and pause the thread. I thought PB&J stood for peanut butter and jelly; that does NOT sound nutritious, especially not if you put it on white bread!

My point didn't necessarily revolve around the nutritiousness of a sandwich. In fact, I'm not sure why I put it there other than for the fact that it was very early in the morn, and thus I was not fully awake yet. Though the parts involving it being ordinary and delicious (at least to me and numerous other people in the western world) are fully intended. If you don't like PB&J, then think of another staple food that you might like. If you don't like staple food... then I dunno.

Also, who in their right mind would use white bread for their sandwich if they are trying to get the maximum nutritional value out of a sandwich? Or artificial jam?

Lucina was chased out of her country... well, she has very few endings that even leave room for the possibility that she might return to her time and do her freaking job as the ruler of Ylisse.

I figured that since the game's time travel was done in the style of a multiverse theory that she could never go back to her original timeline, which kinda makes it sad for her and the other children as ultimately their goal is kinda pointless as the timeline there in now will be saved, but they're own timeline is still fucked. Come to think of it, it kinda makes their whole goal rather pointless.

I figured that since the game's time travel was done in the style of a multiverse theory that she could never go back to her original timeline, which kinda makes it sad for her and the other children as ultimately their goal is kinda pointless as the timeline there in now will be saved, but they're own timeline is still fucked. Come to think of it, it kinda makes their whole goal rather pointless.

She's pretty much Trunks, except Future Trunks was coming back to help the alternate timeline and find a way to beat the Androids in his time. Which he did.

Aversa: Your standard issue well-endowed evil adjutant, perfect for any evil villain's (or villainess's) lair! I honestly thought that she worked fine as an antag, and while her backstory is kinda interesting, I personally am neutral on her.

Lissa: I like her. Don't really know why to be honest though. Perhaps I just gravitate towards the genkis. Also her design is incredibly adorable.

Today's characters are Aversa and Lissa, what is your opinion on those characters?

I'll skip mine for now.

Aversa:

She's one of my least-favorite characters of the game, honestly. However, I do like the little backstory they gave her in her SpotPass level...even though I still wish she'd stayed dead. I feel like it should have been done through the main story, not SpotPass. But throughout the main story, she's just...eh. I'm really not very fond of Awakening's villains, at least most of them, and Aversa is one of the ones I'm not too fond of.

Lissa:

She's fine. Not my favorite, not my least-favorite. But she's fine. I like her more than several other characters, like the aforementioned Aversa, but I don't like her as much as others, such as Lucina and Gregor. She has a more prominent role in the story than a lot of other characters, so that's pretty cool. As a unit, she's not the best in the game, but still good enough, and fun enough to use.

Aversa:

I don't like the sultry characters, but I think she definitely nails that aspect. I really wish she and Gangrel could have a support.

Lissa:

I married her I like the relationship she has with other characters, specifically between her and Chrom (Ike and Mist are better, though). She's not the greatest unit, but she's saved a few of my characters a number of times.

Preface to Fates' sibling marriages - Aversa?

Aversa is... a character. I really don't know what to think of her yet. She's just kinda there.

I do find it funny that she's censored in TMS, but ONLY in the cutscene and not in battle. Like, why even censor it then?

The unbreakable Princess - Lissa! (Get it? Because she says, "I am NOT delicate!" except she is actually so nvm this joke is dumb.)

I mean, Lissa's just adorkable. She also has some serious moments too, but there's just this little bit of Owain in her that makes her just frickin' adorbs.

As a unit she's a good Staffbot but her potential with Magic is a bit shakey thanks to her Speed being only ok. I'd say Maribelle is better for combat, but if Lissa doesn't get Speed screwed she can be very good. Although she's worth using just for Owain to exist to be honest.

I promise to never say "Adorbs" ever again.

Aversa

I don't like her. She rubbed me the wrong way, I don't care for her design, and she comes back anyway.

Lissa

Lissa on the other hand I enjoy. I love her balance of girlishness and tomboyishness. She's really adorable and makes a really good Sage. She's not obnoxiously chipper or cheerful either. I try and use her as often as I can.

Aversa - I like her localized name better than her Japanese one. But that's about it - she was pretty boring, and pretty easily boned by anything that shot arrows.

Lissa - Her lack of brand was interesting, and never really explored. Otherwise, she's okay.

Aversa

She could have been interesting, but... I will admit I like her design. I do like my femme fatale characters.

Lissa

Lissa on the other hand I enjoy. I love her balance of girlishness and tomboyishness. She's really adorable and makes a really good Sage. She's not obnoxiously chipper or cheerful either. I try and use her as often as I can.

I agree with this.

Aversa:

Well Aversa has slowly started to grow on me, mostly because of her spotpass chapter more than anything else. As a villan though...she was underwhelming at best and at worst...well I don't talk about the worst. Because that is a whole can of worms that no one else wants to hear.

Lissa:

Lissa for me is an excellent healer and usually out paces Maribelle pretty much right away. Sure she starts off weak, but then once she gets going...she gets going good. Lissa is perhaps the easiest unit to train, she's the right mix of usefulness that I enjoy haiving on the battle field and if she's married...oh boy does the enemy need to watch their backs because she will wreck them and Galeforce to do it all again, or save a certain weak as hell unit from dying. I will not say whom this unit is, because they only have themselves to blame for being so weak.

Aversa

You know, I kind of remembered her differently. Like I didn't think of her much. She was creepy, like Tharja creepy especially in the Xenologue conversation with Tiki, but overall, I kind of saw no reason for her to be a recruitable unit outside of character development. Many people thought of the sibling discussion like in Fates, and come to think of it, if that were true than frick Aversa is Camilla in Beta testing. I don't know how bad I feel.

Lissa

Her supports with other units are interesting and yet I ship her with Lon'qu the most. Now before you throw your wine bottles at the computer screen, please note that I did experiment with another pairing after my run with Lon'qu: I married Virion to Lissa on my run of romancing Yen'fay. Though why I shipped Lon'qu with Lissa is a stupid one: I ship dark characters with tragic pasts and voiced by Dio Brando Takehito Koyasu up with cute cheerful girls. In fact, I am pretty sure I did that with Niles and Elise on the run where I married Peri.

But back to Lissa. Lissa is Chrom's sister and as a little sister, Lissa's backstory kind of grew on me on how she struggles to be like her older siblings. I wish they could have delved further into it, especially in the Emmeryn Paralogue but I felt Chrom unfortunately overshadowed her story-wise. Support wise I had more fun with listening to her be the naive cute one that I really enjoyed seeing her learn new things. I think that's why I got excited about the VirionXLissa support.

She's pretty much Trunks, except Future Trunks was coming back to help the alternate timeline and find a way to beat the Androids in his time. Which he did.

The comparison is quite strong, especially after looking at a bit of Dragon Ball Z lately I'd have to say It fits the shoe. Only difference though is that Lucina doesn't know about the multiverse theory, which makes her goal rather sad as she'll never restore her own timeline. It will forever be a risen wasteland.

Aversa - The seductive assistant to the villains. Reminds me a bit of Sonia from Blazing Sword. Not much to her character and while her backstory does give her something, being on one of those paralogues you get after beating the game where she's dead in the story unfortunately doesn't count in my eyes. For that reason I don't count it as canon to the story (A problem she shares with Walhart, Gangrel, Yen'fey and Emmeryn).

Lissa - The energetic princess of Ylisse. I quite like her upbeat, unroyal-like personality and her supports are pretty solid for the most part. While I paired Robin with her the first time around I kinda regret it now as it's one of her weaker supports and Owain's support with him make's no sense considering what happens to Robin. Her support with Maribelle in particular was rather nice. I noticed alot of people liked her with Lon'qu but to be honest I'd say that's one of her weaker supports, personally I preferred her with characters like Stahl, Vaike and Gaius. Her design is cute and her voice acting's solid. As a unit she does decently if made a Valkyrie, not so well in War Cleric but the skills it gives can be handy. I'd say though that if I wanted a hard hitting Valkyrie I'd stick with Maribelle as while she's squishier than Lissa she just hits like a truck.

Edited by Naturesshadow

Aversa ... pretty easily boned by anything that shot arrows.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Anyway...

Aversa

No real opinion. She's another character that's just there and should've been developed more in the main story, not recruited later. Pretty bland and boring with a fan service design. Essentially Camilla but thankfully with a less important role.

Lissa

Adorable. I think I've used her in every playthrough of the game. I like her supports and cheerfulness which doesn't come across as forced unlike how it is for Elise.

Aversa

She exists. Well okay, maybe that's giving her not quite enough credit. She does have some surprisingly good boss convos with Chrom after all. But it's not like Chrom did as much as acknowledge his responsibilities to his people when it came to make a sacrifice (Nevermind all his big talk about "uniting the world" when confronting Wallhart). And the revelation that she was mindcontrolled the entire time means that nothing she ever did actually mattered.

Lissa

She exists. Yeah, sounds about right this time. Seriously, she only gets three lines to comment on Emmeryn's death:

NOOOOOO!

*Sob* *sniff* Emm... Oh, Emm...

You can count me in! I'm tired of crying all the time. It's time to start punchin' stuff!

That third line is basically her stating that she is going to act like nothing happened for the rest of the game: It's baffling that she is somehow supposed to be a main character.

Edited by BrightBow

Aversa - An example of the extreme impracticality of FE13/14's character design. I don't like her personality either. Her paralogue is too easy to cheese.

Lissa - She exists. That's about it. Outshined by Maribelle as a unit since Maribelle starts with a horse, but both girls can get Galeforce to pass on to Owain/Brady so I guess it's okay...

Aversa

The character that most likely inspired Camilla's creation and in that regard, she is better than Camilla by miles (not that that was hard to do, anyways). I'm not too fond of her, personally, but she IS a villain most of the time and after she joins you, she is actually quite alright.

As a semi-typical 'femme fatale', she falls short of the others introduced before her, though. Kuraine, Sonia, Ursula and Petrine were all more threatening and menacing than she is. There were probably more 'femme fatale' characters than that, but these are the first that came to mind, so I'm sorry if I missed any.

Her paralogue can be easily cheesed, that much is true (especially if you have trained Manaketes), but I still think it is one of the more fun and creative paralogues in Awakening.

It's sad that almost all of her popularity basically boils down to her exposed bosom and not her backstory or character arc, however small it may be. Again, kind of like Camilla...

Lissa

The resident cinnamon roll little sister character that manages to be incredibly badass at the same time. If this was Fates, Chrom could probably marry her for some contrived reason, but I digress.

I really like Lissa. She has a cute design, her voices in both versions are pleasant to listen to (except for her English confession) and her personality is as I've described above: You want to protect her at first, like with all cute cinnamon rolls, but then you realize the badassery underneath.

As a unit, Lissa can potentially be the most hilarious character you've ever used. Just make her a War Cleric and give her a Tomahawk or Helswrath and you'll see what I mean.

Lissa is among my favourite female characters from Fire Emblem period, beaten only by a select few, which we'll probably get to later on.

Edited by DragonFlames

Lucina

I'm going to agree with all the people praising her for being an adorable baddass. That the powerful stoic girl turns into a very sweet, socially awkward dork when the fighting ends does wonders to create a very endearing character. Lucina takes after her father in being the straight man to a silly cast but with the transitions between stoic and dorky I find Lucina to bring a lot more to the table. Being well voiced by Laura Bailey is also a plus.

Walhart:

Walhart is a baddass with a fairly interesting philosophy but he's hurt by how little screentime he has and just how meaningless his arc is. Walhart is a decent character who deserved a better story.

Aversa:

Aversa is the standard big breasted villainess and...nothing more. Aversa fills the role decently but in a series where we already had the likes of Sonia, Hilda and Petrine she just doesn't have anything to offer.

Lissa:

Lissa is pretty great and strikes me as a well rounded character. She's cute enough to be endearing and not too ''in your face'' about it to be annoying, she's silly and funny while still having some serious moments to her. Lissa seems an actual character that doesn't focus to much on a particular gimmick.

Averted

So maybe it's solely the... design choices and maybe the voice, but after playing Fates, I can't help but think of Camilla when I see this lady. I hear that it's revealed in the Spotpass content that she was supposedly manipulated by your not-so-friendly neighborhood Validar, which... eh? I guess that's interesting? Why not have this expressed in the main plot (and earlier in the plot, at that)? Then I'd actually have felt bad for killing her in the main story, and there wouldn't be a need for her to come back to life.

Outside of Spotpass stuff, she caters to an overplayed trope that wasn't all that well done here (though not terrible, either). Though she isn't scarred or ugly like most of the villains in this game, you can still tell that she's a villain from her getup and her poses. These two thing combined make her a pretty generic villain, though I will say I appreciate her much more than most of the villains in Fates if only because of the Spotpass stuff expanding upon her character.

Lissa Bosconovitch

She isn't some crazy cyborg with wings, but dammit, I tried. Alright, even though Lissa is sort of a main character, I still have to try hard to remember my feelings about her...

I don't know why, but there seems to be a common theme with these young, relatively innocent girls in the last couple FE games. They see more than all the adults do, and are greatly cherished for their role as morale boosters. Perhaps the writers actually value younger generations more than they value their own generation.

Anyway, I've actually gotten her to obtain a rather ridiculous strength stat in a playthrough, so she actually wasn't so much "the delicate one". I also love that certain livid face she makes where her pupils seem to disappear and her mouth is just sort of left agape; she makes this face as soon as you and Chrom reunite with her after the earthquake in the first chapter. She looks possessed!

Now, for her character... it's nice enough, I suppose. She doesn't really get grating, but at the same time, she isn't all that remarkable. She has some sweet supports, including the ones between her and Bread Chrom. Not too sure why some people praise her role in the story, because she barely had a presence in the story after Emmeryn's fake death, and her presence as a whole seems to be just for developing her character instead of giving her a meaningful role; in other words, she's just there to look pretty and entertain everyone. I'm gonna go the Swedish way and stay neutral.

Also, goddammit, Lissa, why do you need to keep dying when I try to play "Before Awakening" in Fates?