Opinions on that Fire Emblem Awakening Character #1 - #51 (Chrom & Robin & Grima)

RoyLKing

Nah

Eh, she wasn't one of my favorite kids. More or less, I'm neutral about her. I did enjoy her support with Morgan and I think Yarne as well, though.

Vaike

Vaike was actually one of my favorite characters. I personally have a bias towards arrogant characters in anime, manga and game, particularly when the bravado is occasionally broken by silly things. Vaike doesn't come off as annoying, as he is generally air-headed and forgetful, making it difficult to take his boasts seriously; it's actually quite entertaining. As well, he isn't completely disrespectful—he obviously respects Chrom and is willing to accept help (if convinced, which doesn't take much). He reminds me of Okuyasu from JoJo in a certain manner, so he gets extra points. For me, as a unit, he worked well; I enjoyed pairing him Sully—blonde-haired Kjelle was too much of a boss. Then again, I grind even trash characters—everyone gets love from me.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah - One of my favourite of the kids. Cute design, love her voice and a touching backstory to boot. Her supports are pretty good and amusing, showing a mixture of her serious and more playful side. A few meh ones here and there but overall solid. I find it hard to judge the kids as units as my style of runs doesn't utilize them well and I end up using none of them except Lucina as you get her in the main story (which I described unit wise before). I'm hoping to do a children specific run where I utilize them into my style run.

The Vaike - While on the outside he may just come across as just the meatheaded warrior whose more brawn than brains he actually is a pretty nice guy. Sure there are some supports that play up his meatheadedness but I found quite a few in which deviated from that and showed a nice, considerate side of him like how in Lissa's support how he looks up to Chrom and what's to be as great as him or from the support's that go into his backstory in how he became what he is today. While I did start off meh with him I found over time that he really was a pretty good character and probably one of my favourites In Awakening. With that said however his support with Robin was crap. Design wise is okay, the metal thing around his neck looks a bit ridiculous. Voice wise was entertaining and had some lovely hammy lines for the chuckles. As a unit he's got the fighter traits going for him, hard hitting, good crittin, but magic ruins him. He did pretty well on my run.

Walhart

He is a very good villain, he is intimidating and powerful yet he is also honourable and you found out later he actually has a motivation (He wanted to stop the rise of grima I think). I just can't help but like him because of all that.

Lucina

Honestly never used her in combat, shes underleveled and joins after I have a full team and on top of that chrom is forced in every chapter and I usually dislike having two of the same type of unit. For that reason I really couldn't care less about her.

Aversa

I don't really care for her either way.

Lissa

She is a good unit and I do really like her character, I also really like her whole thing about trying to be more like emmeryn even though her bratty nature makes her likeable

Flavia

The only thing I can remember is that I accidentally got her killed because an enemy had counter. Twice.

Sumia

She is adorable, I like her supports with the avatar even if she usually ends up as Chroms wife. As a unit she always ends up as a better pegasus knight than cordelia however she is still pretty bad late game.

Gregor

Gregor is hilarious end of story

Henry

Honestly never used him much, he ended up being a pretty kickass berserker though.

Nah

Again another character I don't know well so by default I dont like

Vaike

Usually I hate characters like Vaike however he is an exception and I honestly don't know why. Its probably just because he is so cheesy.

Oh boy, I missed some high quality stuff.

Do not forget Gregor

I always get a kick out of the Russians who constantly mess up English idioms. But I gotta ask; why is there a Russian in this game? At least with Athena, it was more just treated as a strange speech pattern. Gregor's got a full Russian accent, complete with common mistakes Russians make when trying to speak English. I mean, I know there are some real-world parallels, like Say-ri's country being Japan, but we know nothing of where Gregor's from, nor do we run into any other Russians in the game.

Gags aside, Gregor's that older fellow who lectures the young folk. But his gimmick does seem to overshadow this part of him a bit, given that it appears in every support of his. But if you can look past that, he's a good chum. And it does become easier to adjust to his manner of speech, the more you use him.

Henry Weinhart

So we got Henry Rollins, the anti-hero with a sick sense of humor. And I share in that sickness, because every line he puts out cracks me up. There's not much I can say about him that I dislike. I guess like Gregor, his gag can overshadow his more genuine side, but again, I can see past it. But even if I couldn't, he's still a fun character. I think maybe the people who wrote the gimmick characters for Fates missed the memo with Henry. His humor is dark, sure, but it's done right.

N-Sync

I know absolutely nothing about the band beyond what I saw in some shovelware N-Sync gameboy game. Nah is... interesting.

I like her more than Nowi. At first glance, she seems to be very mature. However, in her lesser supports, she acts like a typical anime schoolgirl. Some people like the stark contrasts between maturity and immaturity, but I don't particularly like it. That aside, I do like her, and the fact that her design does look older than a typical loli. Then again, I think that's my desire for a proper adult Manakete talking, and look where that got us. Goddammit, Corrin...

Also, I hear people talking about her supports with Brady and Inigo. I know nothing about Brady's, and all I remember about her support with Inigo was that in the S support, he ticked her off, so she turned into a dragon and tried to eat him. 'Cuz... that's love? Or oddly catering to a fetish.

Enter the Unintentionally Gay Innuendo

To be fair, though, Vaike does have a massive man crush on Chrom, so maybe... ah, nevermind.

His thing is that he's a big, dumb oaf with an ego who grew up in a slum. Wow, talk about stereotypes, huh? Not the best Awakening has to offer, really. And since he's a fighter, there's no real reason to let him grow other than to get him a kid with that tasty Armsthrift right off the bat and the ability to get dat Counter. He's forgettable. Though I will say he doesn't have any overtly terrible supports.

Nah - Her M!Morgan support is one of the best ones in the game, imo. She serves as a nice contrast with Nowi with her serious attitude. Unfortunately, not all her supports are so good, but what can you do. As a unit... Dragon powers. A+

Vaike - This guy I don't like. He's very repetetive with the whole "Vaike time" thing and his design and class don't help his case.

Nah

Nah seems to think she is above her mother when it comes to childish activity. I don't find that to be the case since she is childish in other ways. See her support with her Father and her support with Tiki. Some of the S-Supports people object to, but I do like her support with Yarne and Owain.

Vaike

The one unit I openly despise. He is stupid enough to forget his most important item, he is not worth supporting, and overall I just can not tolerate him. Especially with someone as intelligent and independent as Miriel (who I ship with a person I have more patience with... I will get to him later.)

The Brady one-ch! I got nothin'...

Great unit, amazing character. His supports are very good, and I really like him as a character.

I still can't decide whether to ship him with Sevvy or Noire though. both supports are reeeally good.

Does Selkie play with balls of Yarne? WAIT THAT SOUNDS AWFUL OH GOD

While the Taguel class isn't amazing past the Valm arc, he's a decent character. Good Nah support, decent other supports. Overall, not awful.

brady and yarne are up, what's your opinion on those guys?

Brady:

I think he plays off his mother very well, and their supports together were one of the ones that actually gave me a chuckle. He's probably one of the better second-generation characters, in my opinion. As a unit, he of course has the same advantages that the rest of the second-gen characters have, but, unlike a few of them, I actually use him more.

Yarne:

I like him more than Severa! And Nah. And Kjelle. And I like him more than his mother, I think. Honestly, he's probably middle-of-the-road for me, but he's okay. I don't really use him much, though. But then again, I don't really use any of the shapeshifters of this game all that much, except for maybe Tiki.

Brady

I'd love to have him as my son. He's a pretty sweet guy and, if you train him up, a pretty good unit. Overall I really like most of his supports aside from his one with Nah. His ending is also pretty funny. The fact Maribelle has a thug-faced sweetie for a son kills me every time. He also has a pretty cute dialogue with Chrom if he's his dad.

Brady: "Ha! I hear you there, chump! You can come kill me now. You're just lucky I don't have my old man's skill with a blade."

Chrom: "Your father is a swordsman?"
Brady: "None of your damn business, dog!"
Chrom: "Do you always speak this way to Ylissean royalty?"
Brady: "I am Ylissean royalty!"
Chrom: "... What?"
Brady: "... Huh?"
Chrom: "Humor me here for a moment. What's your mother's name?"
Brady: "Maribelle."
Chrom: "Maribelle is my wife... Which would make you my son. Seems Lucina failed to mention this little detail."
Brady: "Huh. Yeah, I guess we look alike. I mean, if ya squint real hard... Sorry I called you a dog, Pop... Oh, and I'm Brady. Sooo... Must be disappointin' that your son can't fight, huh?"
Chrom: "You seem to be doing just fine to me. And anyone with eyes knows there's more to combat than swinging a blade around. And besides, you've chosen to heal instead of harm. I couldn't be prouder of that."
Brady: "... Really? Aw, thanks. That means a lot, Pop."

imo just this is a good reason for me to do Maribelle x Chrom a few times for fun.
Yarne
I... don't have much of an opinion of him, in all honesty. He's just kinda there most of the time. He aggravates me more then I care to admit, I guess.

Brady:

Kanji Tatsumi in both versions, honestly. I like that his scar was from his violin and he gets treated like a delinquent. Haha. Probably bias because I played the violin.

Fits a more magical role as a unit, contrary to being mistaken for the "rough tough guy" from his appearance.

Chambray:

What the literal crap is his proposal line to MU. I do like the play on names they did with "Velvet", "Panne", "Chambray", and "Yarne".

I really can't evaluate him as a unit, since the only times I've used him has been on min max grinding files.

It would help if I actually cared about the Taguels since we never get that much backstory on them. (For his gimmick and unit usefulness)

Edited by shadowofchaos

Brady: He's hilarious, except when paired with Nah (and then I feel sorry for him). He's got Axefaire and War Monk - you decide what this means!

Yarne: Took mom's words a little too much to heart, IMO. Contrary to his flighty nature, he makes for a hell of an offensive unit, especially since Panne's got pretty good modifiers.

Brady

Like Shadowofchaos mentioned, he's essentially Kanji Tatsumi from Persona 4, both in appearance and character. While I like Kanji more due to Persona's superior writing and more in-depth equivalent of support conversations, Brady is cute and has many funny lines, as well as one of the very best supports in the game with Noire.

Yarne

He's got a good support with Nah and maybe Noire and...that's it. He's a very grating character and far too gimmicky for my tastes. I also don't like his design.

Brady:

He's too fun, omg. What a sensitive soul, someone save him. Also I watched his support with Noire earlier and almost died. I like Brady! He's everything I could have ever asked Maribelle's son to be.

Yarne:

I felt so bad for him in F!Morgan's support... someone save him, too. Literally. I like his crits, they're funny, but I'm also not a big fan of his design. I guess it does a well enough job of depicting his personality to the players, but he's one of my least favorite children.

Edited by interconnecteddream

You're mixing the "units are bad" with "units I dislike" since you pretty much fulfilled the whole "Chrom x MU" shipper stereotype by implying that she has no redeeming qualities as a unit. You literally just said that in your quote:

Which pretty much shows you already prejudiced it.

Man:

Love Lucina specifically as MU's daughter.

Attempt to mix unit evaluation of Sumia as absolute trash with personal preferences, possibly due to an underlying reason.

This opinion sounds so familiar. Like I haven't run into it thousands of times.

Hell, Sumia x Frederick destroys hard mode on join chapter. Why does it have to be Sumia x Chrom?

While eclipse on the other hand couldn't make her "the offensive monster that people do", still acknowledging that her averages, join time, and you know... CLASS FRAILTY into account.

She's a dodge tank, not a DEF tank.

Your opinion on everything else is valid on how you apparently passionately dislike Chrom x Sumia storywise and personality-wise... but dismissing her as "basically useless with no redeeming qualities and shouldn't ever move" as a unit when she has the innate advantage of galeforce even over MU is pretty much pairing bias.

An opinion of characterization and role in plot is something that is subjective. But when you drag in stat averages, utility as a unit, and combine it with an all encompassing statement of "only redeeming quality is looks and don't move", people can question the facts you base your opinion off and if isn't some personal beef with a collection of pixels that happens to be a really good unit with your preferred husband or husband's retainer and not anywhere near as useless as Donnel in Lunatic, who your statement would be better suited to.

Don't even...I don't like the fact that the game forces Chrom x Sumia down my throat (and the fact that Cynthia looks hideous with Chrom's blue hair to me, even if it can be ignored entirely) coupled with Cynthia not even knowing her father (if it is Chrom) that's even worse because ANYONE can call her their "Pega Pony Princess" so that is not the way to tell who is your father! Also just because Sumia can learn galeforce naturally doesn't make her a good unit, there is more needed than just galeforce (and I consider it more supplimentry than important). Add to that she kept keeping RNG screwed on me in almost every playthrough and was so frail she'd end up dead without Frederick's help...and you have part of my reasons for disliking her. Not hating Sumia, just disliking her. So allow me to dislike who I want to for whatever reason I want to.

God this really has dragged on...:(:

To focus on the other characters:

Nah:

She is alright. Her design is ok and she has some alright supports I just don't tend to use her that much. She is meh to me mostly and I tend to bench her a lot.

Vaike:

A peeping tom, over confident asshole...at least that what he appears to be in Robin's supports with him. However support him with someone other than Robin and a different picture emerges, a man who is working to be a hero to the streets where he came from.

So I'm pretty sure that Vaike is alright, I just don't like the peeping tom behaviour. His design is alright I guess and as a unit he is decent enough to use on the battle field.

Brady:

Maribelle's son what else is there to say. I usually bench him and that's about it. Brady has a nice design though and his supports are fun to say the least (Severa is the one that springs to mind, as well as Noire's) he's just not bought into battle a whole lot because I have better units that are not stuck in E weapon ranks (the same could be said of Donnel funnily enough, but Donnel is easier to use for me for some reason, perhaps because he can be gotten right after chapter 3 if you want to?)

Yarne:

Too much of a whinger (which I find uneccessary, ok Yarne we get it you're the last taguel, but please show some spine! As long as you cower in fear you will never know what it is to have a good life!) I find that unless Yarne is on the battle field he's not that fun to be around. He has some ok supports, but he could stand to be less of a whimp and more like Panne. His design is pretty cool though, so there is that going for the boy :D:

Don't even...I don't like the fact that the game forces Chrom x Sumia down my throat (and the fact that Cynthia looks hideous with Chrom's blue hair to me, even if it can be ignored entirely) coupled with Cynthia not even knowing her father (if it is Chrom) that's even worse because ANYONE can call her their "Pega Pony Princess" so that is not the way to tell who is your father!

So... what does that have to do with her being bad as a unit?

Not hating Sumia, just disliking her.

The rant above seems a little strong to be simple "dislike".

Also just because Sumia can learn galeforce naturally doesn't make her a good unit

Objectively speaking, that is in fact, a huge reason that she's considered a good unit.

Galeforce in Awakening is pretty much the best skill in the entire game from a completely strategic perspective.

Dismissing a unit that can get it the fastest in the game as "useless" seems entirely motivated by something else.

there is more needed than just galeforce (and I consider it more supplimentry than important). Add to that she kept keeping RNG screwed on me in almost every playthrough and was so frail she'd end up dead without Frederick's help.

Yes, that's called "covering weaknesses" via pairup.

Frederick is perfect to do the job since he gives Str, Def, and an extra Mov to an already high mov unit.

If you're throwing a pegasus knight into the front lines to tank just to prove how frail she is, you're doing strategy wrong.

So allow me to dislike who I want to for whatever reason I want to.

An opinion of characterization and role in plot is something that is subjective. But when you drag in stat averages, utility as a unit, and combine it with an all encompassing statement of "only redeeming quality is looks and don't move", people can question the facts you base your opinion off and if isn't some personal beef with a collection of pixels that happens to be a really good unit with your preferred husband or husband's retainer and not anywhere near as useless as Donnel in Lunatic, who your statement would be better suited to.

You are free to dislike anyone for whatever reason. Since, most things are subjective and that has to do with your personal tastes.

However, when that reasoning has to do with *gameplay*, people are allowed to call you out on it, since the basis for those opinions and what point you're trying to make with that opinion depends on things that are objective.

Especially when trying to paint a unit as bad objectively simply because of your insecurities with pairings.

If Sumia was actually as bad as you say, I wouldn't be white knighting a collection of pixels.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Oh hey, I actually liked one of these two gen 2 units.

Tom Brady

He talks like an uncultured idiot, just like me. Therefore he's quite appreciable.

He comes across as pretty endearing, which is great since he has the appearance and speech of a thug. I'm always a fan of those types of characters. He has more guts than I did as far as playing the violin is concerned; when I was in the Fifth Grade, I quit playing because my teacher told me that if I screwed up, the audience would through tomatoes at me. Brady, however, continues playing, even when others wince in pain because of it.

Ball of Yarne

So... yeah. What about him?

Remember when I was praising Awakening for how they did some of the character gimmicks? Yeah, well, they managed to screw that up here. And in other places, which I'll talk about later. I guess he's half supposed to be representing a rabbit, which obviously is mostly prey for other, larger animals, and half representing a sentient being who knows he's the last of his kind. But you can have a good or interesting concept and screw it up royally. He's a coward with nothing much else to him, really. The only times he does any good is with Noire and Nah.

Brady

Dammit, I wanted to be the one to bring up Kanji! Oh well. Brady is a very cute character, I have to say. One of my favorites. He literally embodies the saying "don't judge a book by its cover." Though he has an unrefined, rough exterior, he is actually very cultured and kind-hearted. As a unit, I enjoy having Ricken as his dad; just the visual of Ricken, Maribelle and Brady as a family is just heart-warming. I actually might replay to have Brady as my own son.

Yarne

I don't have much of an opinion on Yarne, other than I enjoyed pairing him with Lucina.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Walhart: An interesting character that ended up suffering from being tied to a rather pointless arc. His characterization and ideals make sense, and I do like some of his moments such as calling out Emmeryn's sacrifice, but it's hard for me to fully care about him when the narrative doesn't really have a proper place for him.

Lucina: A lot of people call her bland, but I never really felt that. As Thane said, she's a character that has a strong weight on her back that she deals with in trying to stop the bad future, but is not afraid to have her dorky and silly supports, which balances her out pretty decently. I also do like her drive to stop the bad future, how she's portrayed in Future Past, and I do like that they do show a conflict with her if it comes to Robin being her husband or mother. She's easily my favorite lord of the Awakening trio, and while I do admit she can be pretty irrelevant at times in the story, I do still enjoy her as a character.

Aversa: She has an OK backstory, and that's kind of really it with her. Her story role is pretty weak since they don't show her manipulations nearly as much as previous examples in the series, so she doesn't really appeal to me as a villain. She easily would've benefitted from proper handling of her screentime.

Flavia: Hey, it's one of those characters that suffers from being an Avatarsexual! As a character, she really doesn't have too much to her character unfortunately as she's basically the strong woman character with little else to her personality, and being limited in supports doesn't help her in leaving a strong presence. So she's kind of just there, another character lacking in conversations and/or story role to really develop them. Her support with Basillio is decent though, and I do like Tara Platt's performance with the character.

Sumia: While I agree the Pie support is bad, I don't think she's a bad character. She's gimmicky with her klutz trope, but I do like aspects of her such as her love of reading, her desire for escapism, and some of her story moments like punching Chrom so that he'd get a hold of himself. Her conversation with Chrom after Gangrel's defeat is also kind of nice, and it's probably my favorite of the four options he has. So I do like her, even with some of her repetitive traits.

Nah: She's... there, there's not much to her that I like or dislike aside from the Inigo support.

Yarne: I like the idea of a character who feels the weight of being the last of his kind, but I'm not sure it's done well with Yarne. The problem is that they play up his cowardice a bit too much in the supports and they tend to be very similar to each other. Yarne runs off, character calls him out, he does better, they marry, and that's pretty much the majority of his supports. There are good exceptions to this like with Nah, but unfortunately it's few and far in-between. He would've benefitted from having a more varied set of conversations, but as he is now, he definitely shows the weakness in having too many supports with little characterization.

I'll get to the rest later.

Edited by Medeus

Brady

He's annoying. I don't particularly like the guy. As a unit, he can inherit GALEFORKS so instant use.

Yarne

Also annoying. I actually like him less than Brady. As a unit, he can never get Galeforks, and has a perma beast weakness (and Taguel is a bad class) so I never use him.

oh hey! Ive been away for like a week so i didnt know this was a thing! TIME TO BACKLOG!

Walhart: Omg this guy. Like, he had the potential to be SUCH AN AMAZING CHARACTER wow. He acts a bit like Stannis Baratheon, only with a chip on his shoulder about conquest. Unfortunately, he doesnt get to be FE's answer to Stannis because they just didnt elaborate on his backstory and his motives. His motives were wiping out the Grimleal, but this doesnt explain why he wants to rule all the things. Man...so much wasted potential. He could have been something. Regardless, im still kind of fond of him and his confession portrait is the best.

Lucina: Shes a nice girl who is super serious. Im rather fond of her. I am not fond of the fact her role in the story almost pulls a Lyn and she becomes irrelevant. She can die and not warrant a game over. Wat. As a unit, shes great. Being a kid unit, she can vary drastically. The only time she may be legit bad is if Chrom marries Maiden.

Aversa: Waifu I like her but she has the same problem all antagonists in this game have: Lack of real elaboration on why. She was brainwashed to serve Validar is all we get after recruiting her. /shrug I do dig her design and she was the first character i married when i played a male MU. Shadowgift is cool and Morgies with that, whomps.

Lissa: Shes literally my favorite female character in this game. I love her to pieces and omg. I do wish she had more outright input in the story dialogue but ill take what we got. Shes so cute and i love her. As a unit, shes always one of my best cuz i favor her a lot.

Flavia: Shes so bomb. I love her too. I love how she calls Basilio "oaf" and stuff but really appreciates him. Im salty she cant S support with him, but ill take the platonic chain. As a unit, i havent used her a bunch, but shes pretty serviceable.

Sumia: Another one i like a lot. Shes my second favorite wife for Chrom and i just find her cute as hell. Her design conjures Florina imagery and im all about that. As a unit, shes really good.

Gregor: A favorite of mine from a character perspective. Hes so hilarious. As a unit, hes one that can fall victim to RNG screwage. Ive had really stompy Gregors, but also Gregors that move like molasses.

Henry: Favorite male character next to Virion. Part of the Husbando Trifecta (which includes Libra), he never fails to kick ass. Hes just so funny and i cant get enough of Henry. He speaks my language. P U N S AND C R O W S. As a unit, hes sturdy as fuck and makes good use of that Nosferatu tome. He actually makes a bamf Dread Fighter.

Nah: I dig. Shes actually really unpopular and its a bit :( cuz i like her. She can be pushy and this is why people dont like her much. Her design is so cute. As a unit, shes hella good with the right set up. Always allow her to get Galeforce, guys.

Vaike: Finally a character im not fond of. He annoys me and is like the poor man's Reyn. Yeah mehhh. As a unit, hes ok. Just...ok. At least for me. He can be an asset cuz Hand Axe and Hero access but ehh. Zerker!Vaike is ok too.

Brady: "YOU WANT SOME?" i love this guy. Hes just great. I just love this fucking marshmallow. As a unit, his mum needs to spend some time in the EXPonential Growth to help him git gud and that can be annoying. (inigo has the same issue tbh) But when applied properly, hes pretty good.

Yarne: Ahh the Yarneball. Im fond of him but his voice clips can be hella grating. Ive had some hella stompy Yarneballs though, so im kinda biased in his favor.