Post opinions on the last game you have played

Lethakitty

Completed Ace Attorney Justice for all recently. It was meh at first, and I found most characters to be annoying (looking at you: Wendy, Will, Lotta, 'Dr.Hotti', Trilo)

But I soon came to enjoy it, especially that last case. That was a blast.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's interesting, that's for sure. The grinding is NOT fun, but it's automated. Watching your character grow is fun, along with dealing oodles of damage because you hit weaknesses. Also, some of the quotes from the main guy are pretty funny.

I'm under the impression the grinding will get easier as time goes on.... but getting skillseeds is... yeah, not fun. But on the flip side they give you 500 wind skillseeds! Even though I find Neophyte Ranger lackluster at present.

Also 100 Magicite every 15 or so hours is.... lol bad.

My last finished game was Xillia 1 and it was my least favorite game of the Tales of series I've finished yet.

The story was weird especially at the end and I couldn't get into the battle mechanics.

The bond system screwed me more than it helped me and I couldn't figure out how to do free running and how to use mystic artes while the entire game.

Without this knowledge I had much trouble against tons of bosses consequently. I played on easy mode for like 75% of the game, which I never really have done except against the third phase of Vesperia's final boss.

Without an announcement of a final battle I fought Gaius and Muziet quite suddenly. I accidently skipped to travel back from Elympios to Rieze-Maxia and missed lots of dungeons which I guess doesn't really matter since most of the dungeons are just uncreative and straightforward.

As for Xillia 2 the only thing which annoys me is that most of the places are familar. So you can't expect many new things from the dungeons.

However I liked the idea that more weapon types are added (guns and hammer for Ludger). Also it features a special attack similar to armazitation from Zestiria.

Also the controls in the bond work better for me.

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

Stella Glow:

I thought the game was a pretty darn good SRPG and have enjoyed it way more than Fire Emblem Fates, I liked how while the character cast is much smaller than Fire Emblem, they all feel unique and fit in specific roles. The story was good albeit predictable at times, but the characters were surprisingly deep for the most part, and I like the song and conducting mechanics. I'd give it something like a 9 if I'm being unbiased and a 10 if I'm being biased. So let's call it an excellent and high 9/10 I really enjoyed this game and am currently playing through NG+ too.

You took the words right out of my mouth!

The game I am currently playing is The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel.

I love it. The gameplay is fantastic, the music is probably the best music in any JRPG ever (alongside Stella Glow and Tales of Zestiria), the characters are deep and the game does an outstanding job of immersing you in its world. Whenever you turn on the game, go to whatever library is available or speak to the townsfolk or even through sidequests, you get sucked into a rich world that lives and breathes. Every town, area, village, city, dungeon, whatever has its own feel to it. You can see the passion that went into the world.

I am currently on a NG+ as well and I'm trying to get max rank in preparation for the sequel and fulfilling every requirement for max rank is tough, since there are a lot of hidden quests that can be missed easily and quizzes that will throw you for a loop if you don't pay attention. It can get tough as nails to keep track of everything, especially if you try to complete the whole game.

The game itself might not be too hard, but I actually like that about it.

Dragon Age: Origins
I'm actually playing Origins last, after II and then Inquisition, which is a bit of a struggle because of how different and tactics-oriented the combat system is. Since I'm trying to largely keep to what I uploaded to the Keep for Inquisition, I'm playing as a male human mage who's romancing Morrigan (which is really hard because she's cartoonishly evil in Origins, as compared to her much better portrayal in Inquisition, and so I can't take her on any quests for fear of tanking her approval). Aside from her, BioWare's character writing is once again pretty great and one of the major highlights of the game. Alas, BioWare is still awful at actually animating faces, though at least the scenery's really good-looking.

Xcom 2:

It's probably because I'm on the second easiest difficulty, but I'm finding this easier than Enemy Unknown. I lost 1 or 2 dudes in the first mission after the tutorial. Since then I don't think I've lost one guy. I'm not even save scumming. Xcom enemy unknown was tougher WITH save scumming than Xcom 2 is without it.

(I did save scum once, because of something like a glitch. I revived a unit while they were still being carried by an ally - I forgot I had a revival skill - and when I put the ally down they were still unconscious.)

So far I've raided the first advent facility, and I did the mission where a UFO shoots down your ship. For the latter, IIRC I had 2 injuries, no deaths, and killed like 30 aliens. I also recently got a flawless mission rating when none of my guys got damaged.

My best dude is probably that Kelly someone or other who survives the first mission.

AM2R:

Amazing, the best 2d metroid.

Castle in the Darkness:

Fun, but not anywhere near as good as 1001 spikes.

Legend of Zelda Adventures of Link:

I am at the 3rd temple and all I can say about this game is it is very humbling because I thought I was getting pretty good a gaming but this game makes me rethink my skill level. On the other hand I will be very proud of myself when I beat it.

Zelda 2 is really tough. I find the enemies in the last temple to be completely insane. I ended up pulling a map off the internet because the place is giant, and then running through the temple and avoiding most fights.

I'm under the impression the grinding will get easier as time goes on.... but getting skillseeds is... yeah, not fun. But on the flip side they give you 500 wind skillseeds! Even though I find Neophyte Ranger lackluster at present.

Also 100 Magicite every 15 or so hours is.... lol bad.

The Magicite thing isn't as bad as your making it out to be, unless you literally can't access your device twice within a 16-hour period. You can tap on the slowly increasing number at any time to put that amount of Magicite into your pocket, and reset the counter to zero. It's great, because it's a lot less time-consuming than farming THAT on top of skillseeds/cards/augmentation stuff.

The one thing I'm kinda pissed about is that I saved up some magicite to help me get a job card...and the job card it gave me was a job I had already gotten and ranked up from (I got mage and I have white mage now).

I enjoy the game itself, but I haven't even looked to mainline FF for a really good plot for some time, so it's no surprise that the mobile storyline is junk.

The one thing I'm kinda pissed about is that I saved up some magicite to help me get a job card...and the job card it gave me was a job I had already gotten and ranked up from (I got mage and I have white mage now).

I enjoy the game itself, but I haven't even looked to mainline FF for a really good plot for some time, so it's no surprise that the mobile storyline is junk.

The main story is either the worst thing ever or a very subtle troll. We're behind by three chapters, so it's wait-and-see for now.

As for jobs. . .mage and white mage fill two different roles. I'd concentrate on white mage, and level up mage just enough to jack that sweet staff.

Advance wars: Dual Strike (Hard Mode)
The characters were good. Loved Sasha and Javier. The newly added CO Tag was a great idea but Sasha became a must in most maps.
The maps were really good. The different enviromental maps gave a feeling of nostalgia for Advance wars 2.
The story on the other hand... It was really bad. The main antagonist was a random old guy that miraculiously became the new leader of Black Hole. In which I say, What happened to Hawke. Wasn't he the 'new' Black Hole leader after he killed Sturm? How in the world did Hawke, a seemingly middle aged man, got 'dethroned' by an old man.

The Magicite thing isn't as bad as your making it out to be, unless you literally can't access your device twice within a 16-hour period. You can tap on the slowly increasing number at any time to put that amount of Magicite into your pocket, and reset the counter to zero. It's great, because it's a lot less time-consuming than farming THAT on top of skillseeds/cards/augmentation stuff.

What? I wasn't making it out to be anything, though, I didn't know you could collect it at any point.

In retrospect, skillseed farming isn't terrible... nevermind the cost for skills and stuff, but well, I usually go in with an all 'x' element deck

Last game I finished was Birthright, and the last before that was Conquest, and I'm currently playing Revelations. These ones you all know so I don't think an opinion of them is truly necessary.

Now, I don't really remember what the last game I finished was before that. Could have been ME3, or the Last of Us. Both of those were great, I have no complaints about either of them (none). ME is one of my favorites, so I can't say anything really bad against it, except that I think ME2 as better than ME3. And Last of Us, the only real complaint I could have is that there isn't a sequel yet.

Xillia 2 definitely had sequel syndrome but I don't notice it too much due to playing the xillias backwards. At this point xillia 2 is my new favorite tales

Completed Ace Attorney Justice for all recently. It was meh at first, and I found most characters to be annoying (looking at you: Wendy, Will, Lotta, 'Dr.Hotti', Trilo)

But I soon came to enjoy it, especially that last case. That was a blast.

That's pretty much the consensus in the fanbase; Justice for All is lacking (much of it because of executive meddling) but case 2-4 is one of the best in the series. Will you be playing Trials and Tribulations next? Many consider it the best game in the series, and good lord is the climax of the story a sight to behold.

Dragon Age: Origins

I'm actually playing Origins last, after II and then Inquisition, which is a bit of a struggle because of how different and tactics-oriented the combat system is. Since I'm trying to largely keep to what I uploaded to the Keep for Inquisition, I'm playing as a male human mage who's romancing Morrigan (which is really hard because she's cartoonishly evil in Origins, as compared to her much better portrayal in Inquisition, and so I can't take her on any quests for fear of tanking her approval). Aside from her, BioWare's character writing is once again pretty great and one of the major highlights of the game. Alas, BioWare is still awful at actually animating faces, though at least the scenery's really good-looking.

Morrigan aside, did you consider it to be a better written game than the second or Inquisition?

I all but gave up on the series after Inquisition and sold the game immediately after I was done since I was so disappointed by both the gameplay and the horrible writing. Of course, joke's on me, because the fourth game will take place in Tevinter, which is the country I've been wanting to go to since Origins, so I might have to buy it anyway.

^Yup, I'll be playing Trials and Tribulations soon after finishing some other games. And I really am excited to play through it, especially the last case, which I heard is the best in the whole trilogy.

Also:

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest: It was the first RPG I've ever completed, and I love it. I completed it again shortly before playing Justice For All, and it was still as good as I remember. It's not one of the best, but I liked it, for it's simple graphics, limited equipment ("HA! I got better a better sword for free! And it's automatically equipped."),only two team members, that is, the protagonist and some other person( no need to take care all of them, heck, just keep the other one on Auto)and I liked it's story(why am I the chosen one, mysterious creepy old guy???).It's end was ok and it has it's flaws, but it was still enjoying to play.

Morrigan aside, did you consider it to be a better written game than the second or Inquisition?

I all but gave up on the series after Inquisition and sold the game immediately after I was done since I was so disappointed by both the gameplay and the horrible writing. Of course, joke's on me, because the fourth game will take place in Tevinter, which is the country I've been wanting to go to since Origins, so I might have to buy it anyway.

I suppose I do, if only by the virtue that Origins is the only one whose main plot I liked. II's plot was a spiraling cesspool of misery where your choices have no meaning and, to quote a similar complaint about Skyrim's Imperial-Stormcloak conflict, they spent so much time making both sides of the Mage-Templar conflict flawed that they forgot to make them likable. II's DLC was much better written, at least. Inquisition, meanwhile, has serious pacing problems, is missing a ton of plot-important info if you don't know DA's lore and haven't read the novels, and there's a lot of missed potential with a lot of events, like the civil war in Orlais and all of the War Table operations. I do think that the games as a whole have very well-written characters and character interactions, at least.

^Yup, I'll be playing Trials and Tribulations soon after finishing some other games. And I really am excited to play through it, especially the last case, which I heard is the best in the whole trilogy.

I hope you'll have a lot of fun! It's a splendid game, almost as good as the first one. I hope you haven't spoiled anything!

I suppose I do, if only by the virtue that Origins is the only one whose main plot I liked. II's plot was a spiraling cesspool of misery where your choices have no meaning and, to quote a similar complaint about Skyrim's Imperial-Stormcloak conflict, they spent so much time making both sides of the Mage-Templar conflict flawed that they forgot to make them likable. II's DLC was much better written, at least. Inquisition, meanwhile, has serious pacing problems, is missing a ton of plot-important info if you don't know DA's lore and haven't read the novels, and there's a lot of missed potential with a lot of events, like the civil war in Orlais and all of the War Table operations. I do think that the games as a whole have very well-written characters and character interactions, at least.

You're right about the mages and the templars, but I found the main problem to be that you were, almost in a literal sense, a janitor just cleaning up a town that offered absolutely nothing new or interesting. There was no real focus in the story other than the Mage-Templar conflict in the background. I guess you could say that the whole "successful refugee" could be a theme, but it's never really in focus.

Bioware is better at worldbuilding and dialogue than writing a compelling narrative, I agree. I loathe the Reapers in Mass Effect and consider them the main flaw of the series. In Inquisition, they must've been incredibly rushed because the big bad literally walks up to your front door alone to take you on - what kind of an ending is that? Like, it had zero build-up.

Regardless, I think Bioware's characters are really hit or miss. In Dragon Age II, aside from Varric and Carver, they were either completely forgettable or just made me frustrated (why yes, Merrill, I do think you're being stupid for dealing with demons. No, I don't think you know what you're doing, and neither does anyone else, especially not the ones with the experience with that sort of thing), and in Inquisition, I felt like every single one paled in comparison to Solas and maybe Cole, who were fascinating and offered something really new and fresh while the rest, aside from a few fun quips from Dorian, were painfully simple or dull - even Varric was neutered.

That said, I'm looking forward to Solas in the fourth game. I can't believe the difference in the quality of writing in the DLC that sets up the fourth game and the main story. He and the fact that it all takes place in Tevinter are two very, very compelling reasons to buy the game.

Edited by Thane

Child of Light.

Great game overall, but felt rushed (especially the ending). Overall felt like a teaser to a more definitive experience to be released in the future -- but I would definitely recommend it to any RPG fan. Surprisingly challenging (on expert mode) and well balanced gameplay to boot. Very short game but it's not expensive. Again, ending felt quite abrupt (feels like there should be one last area/dungeon but there isn't) but aside from that, really solid game and I'm usually quite picky with traditional RPGs (most have really easy/dull gameplay... I honestly couldn't finish my last run of Chrono Trigger). For those who like/love Grandia, you'll be happy to know that this game's combat system is heavily inspired by it, which can only mean good things.

The soundtrack is fantastic (top 5 of all time for me personally) and the art direction is great. For those who are tired of RPG clichés (in terms of characters and tropes), it's good for that too. But the actual story is quite weak -- less so that it's bad, but more that it doesn't really have much depth to it. It's as basic as it gets which is fine if you don't take it as core of the game. Also, it's all in rhyme and the writing can often suffer because of it (mostly because the writer(s) just sometimes cannot write concisely just for the sake of forcing a rhyme). You'll either like it or hate it. I thought it was charming aspect of the game and rather enjoyed it overall.

Would recommend. Main problem with it is that its ends fairly quickly you'll just be left wanting more (and then stuck waiting for the inevitable AAA-sized sequel). Worth playing alone for the gameplay, which is tight. Oh, and soundtrack, of course.

Elona. It's not a new game to me (I've started playing it on 2012 iirc), but it seems it still counts.

I find the idea of a sandbox roguelike good (it doesn't need to be original to be good, right?). From starting your own shop, being a traveling performer who plays at parties, a museum owner, buying a ranch/farm and breeding/harvesting animals/items, to exploring randomly generated dungeons across the world, or doing all of those things, the game offers plenty of ways to play the game and eclipses the main quest altogether. The feeling of proggression when your extremely weak character starts cleaning dungeons or facing enemies that killed them with just a few hits is also incredible. By the end game, if one doens't mind the extremely grindy nature of the game, characters become godlike.

I'm biased toward it's issues, which I can tolerate, but they're there anyway: First off, like any roguelike, it has an absurd learning curve. Having the wikia opened while playing the game is essential to newbies, and even I search for help on it after playing for over 3 years. It's also merciless toward beginners. If you don't know what you're doing, you'll die. Even the weakest monster can kill a recently created character if the player isn't careful. In fact, it's hard to get anywhere without being a bit of a powergamer, knowing exactly what to do and abusing the game's mechanics. Also, you need to identify things before knowing what they are - its stats (and curses/blessings) are not visible from the start, and shopkeepers will play a ridiculously small value for unidentified items (usually 1g). Talking about shopkeepers, expect to be selling absurdly low and buying absurdly high until your negotiation skill is well trained (which takes a long time, due to the grindy nature of the game). And did I say it is grindy? Improving skills take a while and leveling them up takes a longer time as they increase. Not for the faintest of heart when it comes to grind (although there's an easy mode that increases exp/skill gain by 10x, which is overkill imo).

Its also got some silly issues on mapping and quests. It's easy to be "locked" inside a room because there's only one tile leading to the exit and there's a NPC determined to stay there for a few ingame turns, which becomes frustrating quickly. The quests are also repetitive and the difficulty level isn't that informative. You can pick an "easy" Hunting mission that includes a monster or two that are stronger than your character. It becomes the same thing after you play the game for a while: Escort NPCs to cities, hunt monsters, maybe cook something if you have the skill and the random assigned food matches with what you randomly made, maybe perform at parties if your Performing skill isn't horrible, maybe harvest vegetables and fruits on Harvest quests if your Gardening and constitution/strength aren't bad. It could definitely have more creative quests or even subquests.

But I'd recommend it, regardless. And it's free, so why not?

Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds.

I found my GBA SP and jammed away at my copy of A Link To The Past and figured it would be fun to play ALBW right after it. It actually is really fun to play right after ALttP. Feels almost like a natural segway into a sequel. ALBW is a pretty terrific Zelda game. Until this one came along, Minish Cap was my favorite of the handheld titles. This game uses the same Hyrule (almost exactly) as ALttP, so everything is very familiar. I think this game's story is like 100 years after ALttP or some junk. Instead of the Dark World, we get Lorule. Ganon is totally dead but his body still has the Triforce of Power cuz somehow it split after the events of ALttP. (im...really unclear as to how though. Like, at the end of ALttP, Link totally gets the whole thing and the Triforce itself says "you can make a wish with the might of the full Triforce" and shit. Oh well.) This fool named Yuga wants to be able to occupy Ganon's body and he kidnaps a bunch of sage descendants using paint powers. The rest is spoilas, and oddly enough, this game's story is one of the best in Zelda. Its not super deep or anything, but its just right. The whole concept of Lorule is weird but i have a feeling its somehow linked to Termina....

The best part of this game is that they tried to give us non-linearity back. They did this with the item rental system which is kinda cool, but i think id have preferred it to just be more flexible like the OG game and ALttP. The dungeons themselves seem a tad smaller than standard Zelda dungeons, but theres quite a few of them and i love me some dungeons in Z games. This game's soundtrack is fully orchestrated and it looks great. Theres only one major gripe with it. Like, if you go to save your game after a bit of playing (and i mean by like a single hour), the game keeps trying to prompt you to take a break. Thats dumb, Nintendo, stop doing that.

Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds.

I found my GBA SP and jammed away at my copy of A Link To The Past and figured it would be fun to play ALBW right after it. It actually is really fun to play right after ALttP. Feels almost like a natural segway into a sequel. ALBW is a pretty terrific Zelda game. Until this one came along, Minish Cap was my favorite of the handheld titles. This game uses the same Hyrule (almost exactly) as ALttP, so everything is very familiar. I think this game's story is like 100 years after ALttP or some junk. Instead of the Dark World, we get Lorule. Ganon is totally dead but his body still has the Triforce of Power cuz somehow it split after the events of ALttP. (im...really unclear as to how though. Like, at the end of ALttP, Link totally gets the whole thing and the Triforce itself says "you can make a wish with the might of the full Triforce" and shit. Oh well.) This fool named Yuga wants to be able to occupy Ganon's body and he kidnaps a bunch of sage descendants using paint powers. The rest is spoilas, and oddly enough, this game's story is one of the best in Zelda. Its not super deep or anything, but its just right. The whole concept of Lorule is weird but i have a feeling its somehow linked to Termina....

The best part of this game is that they tried to give us non-linearity back. They did this with the item rental system which is kinda cool, but i think id have preferred it to just be more flexible like the OG game and ALttP. The dungeons themselves seem a tad smaller than standard Zelda dungeons, but theres quite a few of them and i love me some dungeons in Z games. This game's soundtrack is fully orchestrated and it looks great. Theres only one major gripe with it. Like, if you go to save your game after a bit of playing (and i mean by like a single hour), the game keeps trying to prompt you to take a break. Thats dumb, Nintendo, stop doing that.

It's implied the decision to split the Triforce was made some time after the Oracle Games, iirc. Either that, or interquel setup.

It's implied the decision to split the Triforce was made some time after the Oracle Games, iirc. Either that, or interquel setup.

It's also possible they just decided to do something dragonball style, and split the triforce as soon as the wish was made or something...

And the triforce turned to stone for X years afterwards, too.

It's also possible they just decided to do something dragonball style, and split the triforce as soon as the wish was made or something...

And the triforce turned to stone for X years afterwards, too.

But that doesn't explain the Oracles. The Oracles, which take place very soon after the events of ALttP and feature the same Link as it (according to HH), have the Triforce be whole and in Hyrule Castle. Edited by Glaceon Mage

Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation

To be honest, I'm enjoying it. I still really like My Castle--I like placing and rearranging buildings to create a layout that pleases me. The maps are decent (but still not as good as Conquest's), but they apparently become rather...not good later on. As for the story...well, I don't necessarily *hate* it, but it's nothing special. It is simply a "meh" to me.

However, I will agree that the Valla Curse is a really, really bad plot device.

Over all, though, I'm having a fun time with it. Then again, I suppose I'm just easy to please.