The next FE?

AmericanBuizel

I don't mind the children as long as they fit into the story well like in Awakening. If it is like Fates again, I won't even bother with them.

My idea for the children in the story would go long the lines of the parents start the story, the story then pauses for 15-20 years, then children join forces with the parents to defeat the enemy once more. If the parents didn't have any S supports in the first part, then there would be no children for the parents to team up with in the second part, making the children feature less annoying.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One big idea I have is to make Spearmen di effective damage to horsemen. In actual military tactics, pikes were used to counter cavalry charges, so I think it would be a good addition; it would also make the Soldier class line less underpowered, which is good. Another mechanic I think would be cool is giving the enemy a strategy. For example, on one map they could try to get you in a pincer movement, and use guerrilla tactics on the others.

I would like to see actual siege engines besides ballista and defensive catapults. I would love to see a game where half of your units could stand near a trebuchet and take 3 turns to fire it once the entire map to shatter a wall with 200 or more HP. But it could have a low hit rate against troops on the wall. Put a little more Medieval in it.

If you two want to see the these ideas you expressed (well almost all of them) put into practice, play Age of Empires for the DS. It is a great highly underrated turn based stategy game.

Edited by Locke087

If you two want to see the these ideas you expressed (well almost all of them) put into practice, play Age of Empires for the DS. It is a great highly underrated turn based stategy game.

I second this opinion. As for my own desires:

• Less fanservicey armor designs
  • Children that combine the plot relevance of Awakening with the parent system of Fates. Eugenics Emblem is disgusting.
  • Soldiers and Halberdiers
Edited by KMT4ever

- Bring back proper stealing

Can I call you "Eggy" now?

Define "proper stealing"

- If there's a second gen, murder the first one

This sounds so savage lol, but I agree with you.

Hmm, I'd say keep personal skills.... also, just focus on one title. I liked Fates split paths as a concept, but I think it's execution is terrible and watered down the whole experience. No 2nd Gen. More focus on characters and world building. Maybe reattempt some of the FE 5 and 10 mechanics. You could even have capture function somewhere between FE5'S and Fates.

And most importantly, bow lord

Define "proper stealing"

I'd assume she means how thieving worked in the GBA/GC/Wii era (Thacia as well). Where we could steal items from enemies, we haven't been able to even do that since FE10 now that I think about it.

Edited by Jedi

I would like to see FE5-style capturing return, though with tweaks to make it more available to your units (ie rather than basing it on build, base it on speed.)

And remove the autocapture defenseless units.

I would like to see FE5-style capturing return, though with tweaks to make it more available to your units (ie rather than basing it on build, base it on speed.)

And remove the autocapture defenseless units.

Why don't you like autocapture?

Because healers/etc won't necessarily be killed in one go.

Personally that's why I like it. If I screw up and leave my healer exposed then they're more than likely going to die in one hit. However with auto capture the enemy grabs them and starts fleeing, it gives me the opportunity to recover from my mistake. Auto capture is also a great way of getting around the very illogical pacifist method to closing choke points. And I like it because it makes capture feel like a genuine part of the game if enemies can do it. And an auto capture is pretty much the only circumstance where an enemy will bother to capture. Unless you have a chapter where there's some plot based reason the enemy wants to capture one of your units, maybe its their prince or something. That could make for interesting map design.

Oh, and it's also loads of fun to steal all the enemy's weapons and then capture them without a fight. That's how I got to Dagda's Gaiden.

I'm not too sure on what new concepts should be added. Many ideas may sound great on paper but may be horrible in-game.

As for what should be brought back, I'm currently playing FE4 and I'm really liking the large maps with multiple seize points design, so I think it'd be cool to see some more of that.

I also prefer weapon durability over what Fates did with the buffs and debuffs to each weapon.

More variety of objectives as well, especially defend chapters.

Supports should also be changed back to what they were before Awakening.

Info conversations were a great addition to the Tellius series since we got more character development and other bonuses for reading them.

Third-tier promotions would be cool to see again.

And let's not forget some of the forgotten classes, like Summoner, Bishop, and Nephenee.

The Avatar should be removed.

They didn't do a good job with the system in Awakening and Fates, and I prefer not having a "representation of the player" being a part in Fire Emblem stories. FE7 wasn't bad, but it was still weird to see the characters talk to me in a battle.

Same with the kids, I didn't even bother to get any of them and their presence was horribly justified (in Fates, Awakening was fine).

Pair-up isn't bad, I wouldn't care either way if it was cut or brought back, but I do find rescuing to be more useful.

I think a handheld works best. RPG's on handhelds are much easier to play IMO.

And of course, good plot, characters, map design, and writing need to be in the next FE game.

Define "proper stealing"

Yeah, but you'll get me mixed up with everyone else! :P:

If unique weapons are going to be A Thing, I'd make it so that thieves can steal any item that doesn't have a weapon rank. That way, the AI could then be programmed to run away and use healing items, if necessary. It would also make things like keys exist, and would give the player some incentive to send someone else to a side objective. Awakening's disappearing keys was a great idea, and I'd love to see that happen if keys come back.

Yeah, but you'll get me mixed up with everyone else! :P:

If unique weapons are going to be A Thing, I'd make it so that thieves can steal any item that doesn't have a weapon rank. That way, the AI could then be programmed to run away and use healing items, if necessary. It would also make things like keys exist, and would give the player some incentive to send someone else to a side objective. Awakening's disappearing keys was a great idea, and I'd love to see that happen if keys come back.

Why limit it to things with a weapon rank? You could still weapons in Radiant Dawn and it was super fun.

Why limit it to things with a weapon rank? You could still weapons in Radiant Dawn and it was super fun.

That opens up YOUR weapons being stolen, too. With the way weapons are entwined in the story, it would be awkward if something like Yato was jacked early-on. I guess there could be some kind of flag for "don't steal this", but I think working in such exceptions are lame. All or nothing, and "all" doesn't look very promising!

That opens up YOUR weapons being stolen, too. With the way weapons are entwined in the story, it would be awkward if something like Yato was jacked early-on. I guess there could be some kind of flag for "don't steal this", but I think working in such exceptions are lame. All or nothing, and "all" doesn't look very promising!

Radiant Dawn had locked weapons. Doesn't seem like that difficult a thing to implement. On the other hand that could be a pretty cool way of introducing a path split into the game. Proceed as normal until you get to a certain point and then if your legendary weapon is broken or stolen the story takes a different route.

Radiant Dawn had locked weapons. Doesn't seem like that difficult a thing to implement. On the other hand that could be a pretty cool way of introducing a path split into the game. Proceed as normal until you get to a certain point and then if your legendary weapon is broken or stolen the story takes a different route.

This. . .would be amazing. I believe the last time the existence of an item was checked was FE12. For weapons, it was FE11 (along with a unit check). It might frustrate newer players, so perhaps have thieves exist on harder modes only?

There's also the consideration of what kinds of weapons can be stolen. In Tellius, I believe Strength had some bearing. Since weapons no longer have weight, MAYBE tie what weapons can be stolen to the thief's sword rank or something?

This. . .would be amazing. I believe the last time the existence of an item was checked was FE12. For weapons, it was FE11 (along with a unit check). It might frustrate newer players, so perhaps have thieves exist on harder modes only?

There's also the consideration of what kinds of weapons can be stolen. In Tellius, I believe Strength had some bearing. Since weapons no longer have weight, MAYBE tie what weapons can be stolen to the thief's sword rank or something?

Or bring back weapon weight. It practically exists already in FE13 given the stat reduction on more powerful weapons.

Or bring back weapon weight. It practically exists already in FE13 given the stat reduction on more powerful weapons.

Not really, IMO. The stat reductions were on Attack command only, which opened the door to dual strike abuse. Shuriken/daggers dropped different stats depending on what rank they are (at least the basic stuff). Furthermore, reaver weapons don't have a distinct downside, like steel/silver. Regardless, it meant that Elise and her monster Strength didn't influence her Speed should she choose to wield Fire, Lightning, or Dragon Spirit.

Here we goooooooo

Story

-Nuanced factions and proper world-building.

-Any story is fine but I'd like them try something atypical if they can make it work (ie what Fates tried to do and failed).

-Make it primarily a human conflict but with fantastic elements. I want politics, scheming, and the man who poisoned Dorcas brought to justice.

Characters

-Have characters be less tropey and limit their support pools to people it makes sense for them to talk to. Characters should talk about more than their personality quirks.

-The main character should have a character arc. He should be flawed and interesting.

-If there is a MU, make them a minor character whose support pool is determined by the personality you select at character creation.

Music

-No strong opinions here but I like what Fates did with the soundtrack.

Artwork

-I'd welcome a return Senri or Kozaki. If they go for a new artist/art-style, Valkyria Chroncles or GranBlue Fantasy.

-Class outfits should be like Fates minus certain designs (you know the ones).

Gameplay

-No pre-epilogue marriage (unless it's strictly story relevent) and no 2nd gen. S ranks will denote paired endings and can be platonic or romantic.

-Characters retain their color palette after reclassing (at least from for natural promotions).

-Keep class skills and personal skills but give more care to balance. Personal skills should give a character a unique advantage, not something so situational it will never happen.

-Re-introduce Light and Dark magic. Make magic diverse and interesting.

-Bring status staves back

-I want everything to fall into the 6 weapon categories we have but give us lots of weapon types per category.

-Nerf Hidden Weapons

-Canto and Shove for Mounted/Unmounted. They can make Canto a locked class skill if it's deemed too good.

-Soldier/Sentinel back.

-Bring Steal back

-Make Rally skills passive auras

-Promoted classes will start at D rank for new weapons.

-Keep Attack/Guard stance

-Conquest-tier map design

-Tellius style Base Conversations

Edited by NekoKnight

-If there is a MU, make them a minor character whose support pool is determined by the personality you select at character creation.

This is an idea I really like. You essentially get the best of both worlds. The ability to pair your avatar with nearly every unit for gameplay benefits and an actual realised character who isn't the bland nice guy that's necessary to have them support with everyone.

This is an idea I really like. You essentially get the best of both worlds. The ability to pair your avatar with nearly every unit for gameplay benefits and an actual realised character who isn't the bland nice guy that's necessary to have them support with everyone.

One idea I had in mind was that while the support pools would be tailored to fit the personality you chose, there might be some overlap (Character A can be supported by both MU Type 1 and Type 2), which would lead to a different support conversation with the same character.

Perhaps some would argue that you might as well just have X number of original characters instead of multiple MU personalities, but I do like the ability to customize your unit's growths, looks and classes.

Edited by NekoKnight

My friend and I had an idea where the main character was a mage of sorts, and they were... I guess an anti hero.

Our idea was that halfway, there was a route split where they would either continue to be a jerk and Dark mage, (dark path) or repent and become a Light mage (light path), and this would change your allies' class changes if they were to change after the switch. (Woo change three times) We thought it was cool. Oh, and this wouldn't be a MU, they'd have their own personality.

Here we goooooooo

Story

-Nuanced factions and proper world-building.

-Any story is fine but I'd like them try something atypical if they can make it work (ie what Fates tried to do and failed).

-Make it primarily a human conflict but with fantastic elements. I want politics, scheming, and the man who poisoned Dorcas brought to justice.

Characters

-Have characters be less tropey and limit their support pools to people it makes sense for them to talk to. Characters should talk about more than their personality quirks.

-The main character should have a character arc. He should be flawed and interesting.

Music

-No strong opinions here but I like what Fates did with the soundtrack.

Artwork

-I'd welcome a return Senri or Kozaki. If they go for a new artist/art-style, Valkyria Chroncles or GranBlue Fantasy.

-Class outfits should be like Fates minus certain designs (you know the ones).

Gameplay

-No pre-epilogue marriage (unless it's strictly story relevent) and no 2nd gen. S ranks will denote paired endings and can be platonic or romantic.

-Characters retain their color palette after reclassing (at least from for natural promotions).

-Keep class skills and personal skills but give more care to balance. Personal skills should give a character a unique advantage, not something so situational it will never happen.

-Re-introduce Light and Dark magic. Make magic diverse and interesting.

-Bring status staves back

-I want everything to fall into the 6 weapon categories we have but give us lots of weapon types per category.

-Nerf Hidden Weapons

-Canto and Shove for Mounted/Unmounted. They can make Canto a locked class skill if it's deemed too good.

-Soldier/Sentinel back.

-Bring Steal back

-Make Rally skills passive auras

-Promoted classes will start at D rank for new weapons.

-Keep Attack/Guard stance

-Conquest-tier map design

-Tellius style Base Conversations

I LOVE all of those.
And yeah I want them to keep their colour pallettes if they class change. It bothers me how Effie doesn't keep her pink armor after becoming a Great Knight but she does with a Paladin (I think)
But yes everything you put there was good. I don't mind if characters have a few tropes (everyone even us are kinda tropey) but they can't be defined by tropes. That's not good.
I'd love to see a character who likes weapons and enjoys fighting but doesn't want to kill (is that too complicated?) or someone who is afraid of horses but rides them anyway because its faster to ride. I dunno, little quirks like that. I'm not good at explaining. X.X
Supports should only be dictated by the ingame relation ship, like I said in my own list; bring back people already married please - except for some exceptions - IE; even if they don't know each other, if their personalities and traits (note TRAITS not trait) work well together or conflict well.
----
I guess this is something less of a requirement but I want to see more spins on the archetypes. Even if I am getting tired of them, I wouldn't mind it if they switch it up like they made Ninjas the Cain and Abel of Fates if they're GOING to add archetypes again.
Like, an old Mage for the Jagen or Oifey.
Cain and Abel; one male and other female. Maybe swordsmen foot units for Cain and Abel?
Spear Fighter Navarre, with Killer Lance of course.
Pegasus/Wyvern or Mage duo as Arran and Samson.
Dual Camus. Maybe siblings or great friends, or even past rivals.

My opinions in regards to the children, art direction, and avatar are pretty much the same as most of the people here, so I will spare you much of the details on those topics. I feel, however, that if Intelligent Systems really feels the need to have the children characters, at least have the stat cap modifiers for the children be determined by a similar method to growth rates (i.e., having them determined by adding the parents' modifiers and dividing them by 2). That way the children characters are more balanced (although I would rather that they do away with the stat cap modifiers altogether).

Those of you who keep track of the unpopular opinions thread probably seen my post about how much I dislike the Fates weapon triangle and how it hurts classes like the outlaw class (the spellbane yumi is also the worst of the weapon-bane weapons not only due to its defense penalty, but also how the weapon triangle works). I just wish that the weapon triangle would be reverted to the way it is in the other games because it just does not work that well in Fates. I do, however, recall seeing someone suggest the magic triangle be worked into the standard triangle (I think it was GlaceonMage who suggested it) with light corresponding with swords, dark with axes, and anima with lances. I think that could work.

I guess this is something less of a requirement but I want to see more spins on the archetypes. Even if I am getting tired of them, I wouldn't mind it if they switch it up like they made Ninjas the Cain and Abel of Fates if they're GOING to add archetypes again.
Like, an old Mage for the Jagen or Oifey.
Cain and Abel; one male and other female. Maybe swordsmen foot units for Cain and Abel?
Spear Fighter Navarre, with Killer Lance of course.
Pegasus/Wyvern or Mage duo as Arran and Samson.
Dual Camus. Maybe siblings or great friends, or even past rivals.

I actually thought about the Cain and Abel characters being these fighter brothers who are short, stocky, and mustachioed. They could even come with hammers and the green one would be a coward with an inferiority complex. (I know that sounds stupid, but I thought it would be funny if they were straight up the Mario brothers). I also thought of the Jeigan character just being a character of a special class that has a level cap of 30-40 (said character would be strong and bulky, but very slow).

Here we goooooo!

• Don't let Shin Kobayashi anywhere near the building. Get someone like Yasumi Matsuno to write the story instead.
  • Kozaki can stay—or not, I don't really care—but fire whoever's responsible for the garbage that has been the majority of 3DSFE's armor designs.
  • Make the characters actually interesting and developed rather than having them just be flat caricatures. No more fetish pandering, please.
  • Bring back all the classic Fire Emblem "archetypes", but play around with them. For example, the Est could be a veteran warrior who's fallen off their game recently, but who quickly gets back into their groove as they start fighting again, explaining the high growths. Varying up the Jagen would be as simple as just not making them a Paladin or a variant thereof. The Navarre could be a Soldier/Spear Fighter with a Killer Lance or a Fighter/Brigand/Pirate with a Killer Axe, etc. The archetypes don't need to go away; keep them in the game, but do something fun and new with them instead of just implementing them as they've always been.
  • Aim for a good balance of humorous versus serious moments, and make sure they're timed appropriately, as well. A story that's all serious or all silly is hard to get behind; a good balance of the two makes both sides stand out and is a crucial ingredient in the recipe of a good and memorable story.
  • Either commit to having a fixed, predefined main character or commit to having a fully player-generated main character, but don't try and repeat for a fourth time the weird halfway thing that FE12~14 did.
  • If there is an Avatar again, don't have everybody except the Token Skeptical Characterâ„¢ kiss up to them. Have other characters develop organic and sensible opinions of the main character based upon their actions. Treat the main character's failures like the failures they are and don't try to gloss over or excuse them.
  • Bring back before-chapter narration and those little animations on the world map with the sprites moving around to illustrate events.
  • Definitely keep variable map objectives.
  • If there is to be a manually-traversible world map again, do it Gaiden-style with Awakening's control setup.
  • Bring back FE5~7-style sidequests, where they're actually relevant to the plot and where you have to actually earn them by completing optional, missable side objectives in specific story chapters.
  • Axe the whole "every party member was basically already on your side to begin with" thing. I want the majority of the recruitable characters to not have been aligned with the main character's group as of the start of the story, and instead have their recruitment events be where they decide to join up with the main character's faction.
  • More significant things that you actually have to work to get. I'm sick of almost every recruitable character just being handed to you as you progress through the story. I want there to be a lot more recruitable characters who you need to actually go out of your way to recruit, because that way it feels a lot cooler to have them. This also ties into...
  • More meaningful side objectives. A lot of the fun (for me) in older Fire Emblem games was that the difficulty of a chapter could vary depending on how thorough you wanted to be about completing it. Sure, you could just turtle and safely wear away the enemies, but then you'd miss lots of cool items and even a few characters. Generally-speaking, I like having the flexibility to approach chapters in multiple different ways that each present their own pros and cons, as opposed to having chapters be so open-ended that it doesn't even matter, or so constrained that there's pretty much just one "correct" answer to how to play it, and everything else is shooting yourself in the foot.
  • No more infinite supplies of everything. Making it so that every single item in the game is effectively infinite in supply pretty much removes any sense of uniqueness or value to any given item. What's the point if you can just go and get 20 more of it whenever you want? I want there to be more items that are completely unique, or that are unavoidably limited in supply, without making those items specific to a particular character.
  • Don't include any method whatsoever for increasing the total amount of level-ups a character can get. Once a character reaches level 20 in a promoted-tier class, that should be that and you should just have to work with however they ended up.
  • Make Skills work how they did in Jugdral and Tellius again. The way things are now ends up making a lot of characters way too interchangeable with each other since you have too much control over their abilities and how they develop.
  • Either make a second generation legitimately plot-crucial or don't include one at all.
Edited by Topaz Light

Next one was confirmed to be mobile a while back (They're working on mobile FE and Animal Crossing), so I won't count that one and talk about the next core FE game.

- Axe the majority of things from Awakening and Fates. No Second Seals. No Pair Up. Back to normal weapon system instead of Fates' weird system. Back to FE6-9 style supports (maybe a tad more freedom than that in terms of number of supports at once). No Second Generation of units unless they're willing to commit to a FE4 style game instead. No shipping or... weird... pointless... facetouching stuff. Just no. Don't do that ever again. Fire whoever suggested that. The bonus DLC stuff, option for Casual Mode, that can all stay.

- Use FE10 as a template. To me, mechanics/maps/army wise it was the perfect FE game. The variety in map design and objectives was beautiful: you had your open sky, flying units only map. You had your inclosed corridor cave and city maps. You had your fort defence maps. You had giant killing fields, movement choking swamps and forests... you just had it all. The ledge mechanics should come back, they added very interesting layers of strategy and problems to consider when moving around maps. 3 different armies meant that while you still had the same FE system of focusing on a select number of units for each army... you basically got to do that 3 times over for the majority of the game, then sitting back and picking the best of the best for the final stretch. This in turn meant you had a lot more variety in the units used compared to most FE games and it was great. 3rd tier classes? Loved them outside of the pointless overkill skills. Really made archers great with the 2-3 range, most of the classes felt balanced against each other at that level. A few got slightly screwed cap wise in key areas, slight adjustments would fix that. The increased weapon variety was also great. Can leave the BEXP behind, sadly it was too abusable. Just keep the 3 armies roughly on level with each other.

- Expanding upon the previous point: take the 3 tier system, combine it with Awakening's skill system and FE8's branching promotions for the overall skill system. Earn 2 skills at each class, have say 4 skill slots, scrolls still exist to give characters skills they normally couldn't get. Lets the player have some variety/added replay value, but it doesn't go bonkers like it has since Shadow Dragon.

- FE9/10 artstyle please.

- FE4 level writing. FE's plot has never been amazing, but that was noticeably solid.

- Base convos. Those were nice little touches to expand upon characters, particularly background ones, without trying to shoehorn them into the plot.

- Axe the Avatar character. It has ran its course.

- No infinite supplies. No overworld traveling.

- Sidechapters you have to earn to unlock. Particularly FE7 style ones. Nothing required to fully understand the story, but bonus insight into things is always great.