The next FE?

AmericanBuizel

A better customization system. I don't want the Avatar to be the main Lord. They could be a lord from a nearby kingdom, that is fine, but not the main. I think that would allow the player to really customize them how they want. Everything from body size, hairstyle, facial hair, class, and even personality ( which would determine what characters your character could s rank, and how they respond on dialogue.)

I would also like to see a more expanded on weapon system. One of the things fates did well imo was its weapons. Getting rid of the durability and using buffs and debuffs on each type gives it more strategy rather than loading up on 50 silver swords and throwing a new one at a unit when one breaks. That can be expanded on to allow for new weapons, a better forge system, etc.

I would also like to see fire arms. Nothing too big, no cannons, nothing too advanced, but some flintlocks and muskets would be cool to see.

Some new hybrid classes. I love the idea of a hybrid class, and would like to see more of them. I also hope light magic makes a return.

I would like to see more Magic Class and Magic Hybrids... Now that you mentioned the light magic.

What do you think about a Class with a Dark/Axe combo and Class with a Light/Lance combo?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see more Magic Class and Magic Hybrids... Now that you mentioned the light magic.

What do you think about a Class with a Dark/Axe combo and Class with a Light/Lance combo?

Have both of them on my class tree. Dark/Axe in particular would be nice as it'd give a hypothetical class for the hero of Grado that apparently managed to use both Gleipnir and Garm.

Edited by Jotari

If Malig Knights and Dark Fliers return (along with Dark and Light magic), they should use those weapon types. Dark Flier could be renamed to Seraph Knight or something.

Something I forgot in my initial post here, and this is really mostly a cosmetic thing, but I'd like to see more diversity in terms of body type, skin tone, hair texture, etc. between the playable characters in the next game. Even aside from the added representation, the massive casts of Fire Emblem games can only benefit from having more venues through which to visually differentiate the characters.

Also, on the topic of Capture, you could make it so that you have to choose between getting the captured unit's inventory and getting the captured unit themself. Like, you capture a Pegasus Knight with Astra, a Spear, and a Killer Lance, and you can either get her with her Astra skill or get her Spear and Killer Lance, but not both.

Edited by Topaz Light

I'd like the next game to get rid of the avatar as IS has proven to be unable to handle one without compromising the quality of the story and characters, the FE7 tactician being the exception. I'd like to see the non self-insert lord return, preferably a female who doesn't share the spotlight with other (male) lords.

I'd also like to see a smaller character roster, a Sacred Stones sized cast would be ideal, with each character having a limited support pool and even fewer marriage options, if at all. Some characters just lack any chemistry and would realistically never marry, let alone speak to each other. Fewer support options would also prevent characters who have undergone development in one support conversation to suddenly regress in another one.

Gameplaywise Conquest was fine so I'd like them to stay on that track, although weapon durability coupled with Thracia style capture and limited funds would be a nice challenge as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that sounds good. Light/Lance combo could be either mounted or unmounted, and called a Crusader. The Dark/Axe combo would be unmounted, and be called an Unholy Reaver maybe? Could also go with Black Guard, Illriger, or Death Knight.

My ideal FE would probably be like Conquest if it had these changes:

-Not shit story. It doesn't need to be amazing, but it needs to be passable. Like PoR's.

-No playable 2nd generation. Just have those characters be their own characters.

-Paralogues in the style of Awakening's Paralogue 1-4 and 17, some having special unlock conditions.

-Style over realism in the art is cool with me, but please tone down the overt sexiness.

-More same-sex pairing options. Not just for the avatar (which I am a-okay having stay), but for other characters, as well.

-What I dislike more than everyoneXeveryone in support options is Avatarsexuals, leaving characters able to support the avatar and no one else. Give every character a respectable amount of support options.

I vote for a game where you don't reset level on promotion, weapons can be repaired for a price and your lord gets a sword that boosts stats up to +20 in certain stats

Among other things, like a generation pairing system and castle-seizing based maps

I vote for a game where you don't reset level on promotion, weapons can be repaired for a price and your lord gets a sword that boosts stats up to +20 in certain stats

Among other things, like a generation pairing system and castle-seizing based maps

Hmm. I can't imagine what game you like.

(sarcasm....I can, It;s Holy War)

Like Fates Conquest, except Hoshido is the dictator-like bad guy, and Nohr is the gallant, freedom-loving democracy.

Or another branching game, except that both stories feature a much bigger evil like Revelations. Either through misunderstandings, prejudice etc, the two countries wages war, but you try to convince your own faction that the real culprit is someone else entirely. So a set of games that merges together at the end - opposite of Fates.

Let's go!

Classes and weapons

-A flier unit who uses primarly swords. Maybe it could be the Griffon Rider as a base class or a Kinshi Knight.

-Falcon Knights can use Lance, Swords and Staffs.

-Light magic, the two magic triangles (Dark>Anima>Light and Wind>Thunder>Fire), are back.

-Wind is only strong against Pegasi. Thunder is only strong against Dragons and Wyverns. If Griffon/Kinshi Rider is back as a base class, I would like them to be weak against Fire.

-Some Hoshidan and Nohrian classes from Fates are back. I guess they are going to change the name of some of the Hoshidans ones like the Oni Savages or Spear Fighters into Soldiers for example. Oni Savages are a new type of Bandits/Ruffians, Apothecary could be like the Hunter class from FE11/FE12, etc...

-Sword Thieves, Ninjas and Outlaws are all available so like that we got thieves who have a different weapon from each other. Thieves's skill at level 10 is the stealing command from the previous games like how Oni Savages got the Shove command.

-There are more trainees than Villagers/Recruits. Bring back Journeyman, Pupil, one for the Swords (Myrmidon/Mercenary) and one for the Bows (Archer/Outlaw or Apothecary) and Shurikens (Ninjas and something else). Villagers become Knight/Soldier, Pupil becomes Mage/Dark Mage or Monk and Journeyman becomes Fighter/Pirate or Oni Savage.

Since it's a bit too much, I propose that you can only choose one of them. After you save villagers in a bandit attack paralogue, you would have the possibility to pick one.

-Allow more classes to pick two weapons of the same weapon triangle like Dark Knight(Sword/Tomes). Bring back Warriors for Axe/Bows and create one for shurikens/knives and lances.

-Dark Mage are a bit more defensive like the Shamans. Summoners are back and Dark Knights become one of the anima Mage's promotions.

-More magic hybrid classes. Revenant Knights can use dark magic, one of the Pegasus Knights' promotions can use light magic, one of the Griffon/Kinshi's Rider promotions can use anima magic, etc...

I would like to see an armored unit who use magic. I heard Barons in Judgral could do that.

-Shapeshifters could use more weapons than stones like Corrin. I was surprised Kitsunes couldn't use magic because they are magic users in most of the medias they appear.

-A lord who doesn't use a sword again.

-I don't mind the unbreakable weapon system with the buffs/debuffs so I woudn't mind it if it's back.

-More status staffs like the Berserk staff or the Sleep staff.

-I wouldn't mind to have FE11/FE12 reclassing or the one from FE14. The main problem I have with FE13 and FE14's reclassing is that you are forced to lose a valuable item for being to able to reclass and you can't do it all the time like in FE11/FE12 without losing money.

-Once a unit promotes, the other weapon he gains is at D rank.

-Better weapon rank experience than the one in Fates.

-Like the previous games, a character can only get a S weapon rank and the others at A rank. It's not specific to only one class. The promoted classes which can use only weapon like Swordmasters and Berserkers get innate crits.

-If IS adds a new weapon, I would like it to be the unit's fists like normal monks.

Maps and difficulty

-More various side objectives

-More defend maps

-Bring back Fog of War

-Dragon veins should come back but this time, it shouldn't be limited to royals but it should depend of the unit's class. For example, Camilla can summon fire balls and thunder in 2 Birthright maps. I think that a Mage should be able to do that as well.

-Gaining exp and being able to kill when I use a ballista on the map.

-More shortcuts in the map like a dead tree falling to make a bridge. There was something like in the Kitsune map in Conquest but I would have preferred if they were more stuffs like that.

-There should be a "Birthright/Conquest" mode for the next game. By choosing Conquest, the maps become harder and require more strategy. The Birthright mode is for those who don't want a more challenging experience.

-I have no problem with Casual and Phoenix mode so it should stay with Classic so people can play it the way they want and everyone is happy.

Since the avatar appears in 3 games in a row, I assume the avatar will stay so the least I can do, is trying to improve it.

-Avatar =/= Lord. No avatar Lord anymore like Corrin.

-The Avatar is more limited in the story. He could be something like a normal soldier, tactictian, etc...

-More cutomization options like glasses, skin color, better haircuts, eye colors, badass mustaches, etc...

-Like in FE12, you can choose your character's past/background. This time it will not influence the growth rates but the Avatar's supports/dialogues and possibly recruitable characters.

-If the Avatar must be worshipped, I want it to make sense. I want them to have done something revelant for them to be praised all the time.

-If the avatar got siblings or adopted ones and who lived with them for all their lives, I don't want them to be able to marry each other.

-Customizable class. You can choose the Avatar's primary weapon (staff included) and once he promotes, he can get a new one. You can choose him to be a footsoldier or to have a mount (Horse, Wyvern, Pegasus, Griffon). You can also choose his other base class as well.

-The avatar gets a dialogue tree. You can choose the avatar's personality too. It would influence the dialogue tree both in a few supports and gameplay.

Remember how in FE6, you could do different chapters depending of the units you used or one of the two villages you visited? That dialogue tree could let you do different chapters. Depending of what you could say, you could negociate with an enemy group or fight them.

-I dont want the character to get a legendary weapon but if he got one, I would like it to be able to change its weapon type. Even though I like the Yato, it's too bad it's only limited for the sword users.

-If the game has multiple races like Manaketes, Laguz, etc..., the avatar should get different ears and also different dialogues when talking to people of different races.

Characters

-No more Avatarsexual characters.

-Not an excessive number of supports for each characters.

-Characters should be able to support characters with similar backgrounds/interests. It's ridiculous that Reina can't support with Kagero, Orochi, Yukimura, that Flora can't support with Gunter and Jakob, Charlotte can't support with Anna, etc...

-I don't mind if the characters are tropes as long it's not exaggerated.

-I don't mind fanservice as long as it's not excessive and not for armored units. I can understand for the dancers, mages and fighters for example since they are quite fragile and don't wear a lot of armor but not boob armor for the female Knight, "butt window", etc...

-A good unit balance.

-In Fates, you can only get one Oni Savage and one Apothecary. I don't want to see only one type of playable unit but at least 2. I am ok if we get only one dancer of course.

-Even though I like that retainers are more important in Fates, there are too much of them and not many various recruitments. I would like to be able to recruit previous enemies who join the Lord for other reasons than just following their masters/lords or thinking that the Lord looks friendly.

-Children can appear but only if it makes sense in the story. No more Deeprealms please.

Story

-I don't care if the story is complex or simple as long as it makes sense.

-A better worldbuilding. Bring back the chapter's introduction with the Lord walking on the map with the narration and the little houses in the map where the NPCs talked about the country, the kingdom, villains, etc...

-Not cartoon villains. I also would like to see more main villain's screentimes and interactions with his generals. A team like the Dragon Generals, Daein's Four Riders, the Six Imperial Generals and the Wolfguard for example would be cool as well.

MyCastle and online

-Bring back base conversations.

-MyCastle should look like more Tellius barracks/base. For example, in FE9 Daein, it was snowing and the base was covered in snow. I would like to see someting like that again. The base would change depending of the next chapter's environment (castle, near a forest, etc..).

Before the Endgame or after you defeat the Final Boss, you can change the Base's environment for online uses.

-Being able to create maps like Super Mario Maker, to pick previous chapters for PvP and one of the 2 maps the 2 players picked, is randomly chosen. Same with the map's objective (Rout, defend, seize, defeat the boss).

-Maybe more units for PvP. Being able to do 2 armies vs 2 armies too.

-I wouldn't mind the skinship models back since they looked nice but I want the team to take care of it at the end when they are sure that the gameplay, characters and story are fine. Maybe they could make it related with the supports.

That's it for now but there are probably some stuffs that I forgot.

I will be honest here this is my compiled list:

Please make the avatar have a minor role.

Have the lord be the main character.

If marriage is a thing have the kids be like FE4.

Do not do multiple paths on different cartridges.

Personally I can go on and on about my wishes for the next FE game,so I will stop there.

What is your opinion?

Sera

Sword fighter lord styled like DS Marth or Roy in terms of stats

Tear Ring Saga method of handling grinding

Avatar styled similar to Robin in plot significance, but much more costomizable like FE12's avatar but on a larger scale, such as picking your species for example.

Fates' weapon system

FE3 dragonstones

Zelda series amiibo support alongside support for all of the FE amiibo

#FreeLightMagic

I want to see a decent story. Fates had an alright story, but it failed to meet the expectations it put itself under. Just make a normal FE game, with a well drawn out story, good world building and bam.

Keep infinite durability and clothes ripping,

Optional stuff:

Give incentive to play on perma-death, instead of the experience of Phoenix/Casual being just a timesaver compared to Classic.

Incentive to play on higher difficulties. I enjoy that Lunatic is a challenge, but I want some cool exclusive stuff because I went through that trouble.

Bring back staves like Berserk, Sleep, and Restore.

Make poison a status condition again.

Finally, GBA STYLE ANIMATIONS IN 3D PLEASE.

My post from the last thread.

Story

-Nuanced factions and proper world-building.

-Any story is fine but I'd like them try something atypical if they can make it work (ie what Fates tried to do and failed).

-Make it primarily a human conflict but with fantastic elements. I want politics, scheming, and the man who poisoned Dorcas brought to justice.

Characters

-Have characters be less tropey and limit their support pools to people it makes sense for them to talk to. Characters should talk about more than their personality quirks.

-The main character should have a character arc. He should be flawed and interesting.

-If there is a MU, make them a minor character whose support pool is determined by the personality you select at character creation.

Music

-No strong opinions here but I like what Fates did with the soundtrack.

Artwork

-I'd welcome a return Senri or Kozaki. If they go for a new artist/art-style, Valkyria Chroncles or GranBlue Fantasy.

-Class outfits should be like Fates minus certain designs (you know the ones).

Gameplay

-No pre-epilogue marriage (unless it's strictly story relevent) and no 2nd gen. S ranks will denote paired endings and can be platonic or romantic.

-Characters retain their color palette after reclassing (at least from for natural promotions).

-Keep class skills and personal skills but give more care to balance. Personal skills should give a character a unique advantage, not something so situational it will never happen.

-Re-introduce Light and Dark magic. Make magic diverse and interesting.

-Bring status staves back

-I want everything to fall into the 6 weapon categories we have but give us lots of weapon types per category.

-Nerf Hidden Weapons

-Canto and Shove for Mounted/Unmounted. They can make Canto a locked class skill if it's deemed too good.

-Soldier/Sentinel back.

-Bring Steal back

-Make Rally skills passive auras

-Promoted classes will start at D rank for new weapons.

-Keep Attack/Guard stance

-Conquest-tier map design

-Tellius style Base Conversations

Really I just want all of the amiibo to be compatible. I like some of the things others have said, but I don't feel like mentioning it all.

Edit: Fixed a typo.

Edited by ♯Jin

Give me my Soldiers/Halberdiers back.

Conquest difficulty. (At least give enemies some fun skills and better maps/enemy placement)

Give everyone pants.

Put some clothes on the Dark Mages.

Give 1-2 range Axes/Lances/Swords the ability to either double attack or crit/trigger skills. Not both but holy crap I rarely use them anymore. They can keep that -5 effective speed though.

More magic diversity. (I mean come on only one dark tome??)

No more story 1v1s. Please.

FoW in PvP.

Make Hidden Weapons work like Daggers and Knives. (Daggers are stronger but only 1 range, Knives have 1-2 range but much weaker.)

As for story.. well at least make it to where it won't make me want to stop playing on my first playthrough. Since I can skip I don't really care though. Just make the gameplay good which Conquest did.

- Focus on making one game instead of three.

- Keep the amiibo compatibility, and add compatibility for Roy (and Corrin if he ever gets released).

- Bring back light magic, possibly have the weapon triangle and trinity of magic connected, like how Fates added the ranged weapons to the weapon triangle.

- On that note, perhaps add a new ranged weapon to fill the gap left by tomes.

- Keep shuriken and ninjas. Ninjas are cool.

- If they have to include child units, have it make sense in the story.

- Don't have everyone able to support everyone. Don't have any avatar-sexuals. Give everyone a limited amount of people they can support with (people that would make sense to support with, or have actual chemistry with each other), and leave it at that.

- If we're keeping the avatar around, I don't mind if they're the centre of attention so long as it makes sense for them to be, and they don't get showered with praise and affection for no reason.

- Also if avatars are still here, more customisation would be nice. In terms of classes, race (if applicable to setting), and aesthetics. Let me choose the colour of my armour, dangit.

- My Castle was cool, but I hate the way it was incorporated into Fates' story. I'd say keep it around, but either leave it non-canon or find a way for it to make sense without having it exist in another dimension.

That's all I can think of right now.

I went ahead and merged the new "What do you want to see in the next FE?" thread with this one to avoid duplicate topics since it was such a recent post. <3

For me personally, I don't really like to speculate about such things so far in advance since I'm afraid it'll just lead to disappointment.

1. to have all the cast from the last game come back for a sequel

2. return the skinship content

3. return all outfit content with some newer ones

4. no lolis/little girl children

5. no male homo nonsense and mention of the drugs that was censored in the last game prior to this one

right hold on what do you mean by "no male homo nonsense"

Senri Kita does have my favorite art style in the franchise so I would be all for her return. :)

To be fully honest, from my perspective, if Intelligent Systems is going to insist on this whole "the Avatar is the player" thing they keep trying to have us believe, then I think they need to take some lessons from Atlus and make the Avatar silent with dialogue choices (battle quotes are still good of course). That really is the best way to handle it.

I have a feeling that they simply won't make the character fully silent because otherwise.....how else can the main avatar have any personality?

Instead, they can just make it so you have a main lord and you have the ability to customize the lords stats anytime since the lord is your main unit.

I just thought about how arquebuses and hand-cannons would work in the games. It would be interesting to have a "Renaissance-era" setting with designs and weapon options to match the period. The period of the earliest firearms also coincided with the height of plate armor, so it would fit. (Of course, having the setting too far into the future would make the series stray too far from its essence, so the Late Middle Ages would be as far as I think the series could go). I am also not the first to suggest this sort of thing, but I still have my own take on this idea.

The firearms would work similarly to crossbows in Radiant Dawn in that they would ignore the user's attacking stats and rely on might alone, as well as have 1-2 range. They would, however, be pretty strong with the weakest gun having around 24 mt. They would also do extra damage to beast units (because the sound of early firearms scared horses and horseback characters need a nerf). Their accuracy would be pretty low (like axes in Binding Blade) and they probably should not be able to double (since loading those guns took a long time). The unit who could use arquebuses, the "gunner" or "arquebusier", would have high skill and would be able to use cannons strewn about the maps. The cannons would be just a gun version of the ballistae (high might and low accuracy), but would have limited ammunition and could actually kill.

I vote for a game where you don't reset level on promotion...

I second this idea as the resetting level caps serve more as an annoyance than a strategic consideration these days; especially since the player can buy as many master seals as s/he would like after a certain point in the game (given that s/he has the money for it). Granted, it is not as much of an issue in Conquest due to the limited experience and gold, but it is more obnoxious in the other campaigns due to the sheer number of unpromoted units there are and the amount of grinding that can be done. It would also incentivize earlier promotion rather than punish it.

Story and Characters

-IS should focus on writing one story instead of three. And spend more time writing the story than shilling it. If there is going to be more than one path, have the second path be a pure villain campaign a la the Demon Path from Soul Nomad and the World Eaters (or No Mercy from Undertale, if that's your thing).

-There should be one protagonist (preferably female, in my opinion) who can't be customized.

-Unless they're in a minor role, no Avatar/My Unit. They're more of a liability to the story than an asset at thus point.

-I don't mind if characters are trope-y or cliched as long as those elements are written well, but there needs to be more care put into characterization and character consistency, and especially more communication between the story writers and the support writers.

-More worldbuilding is important too. The content needs a name, for one.

Supports

-Support options should be limited to 6-10 total and 2-3 romantic per person. This will help cut down on filler supports between characters with no chemistry.

-No main character-sexuals or Avatarsexuals.

-S-Supports can stay, but instead of jumping straight into marriage, have them just be an indication of characters being in a romantic relationship, with marriage waiting until the epilogue. A+ should be reserved for platonic endings.

-No 2nd Generation, unless there's a Geneology-style time skip. Or if the next game's a remake of Geneology.

-If there is an Avatar, there should be a method of deteriming the support pool. Ideally it would be by letting the players choose who they wanted to support, but preset categories of supports could also work.

Gameplay

-Get rid of the gameplay gimmicks of Conquest and Revelation. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a handful of stages with elements that complicate levels (like a time limit, for example), but when over half the maps in your game have a gimmick in place of actual difficulty, there's a problem.

-More time spent balancing skills, especially Personal Skills.

-Limit the number of skills a unit can have equipped, either by RD's point system or by reducing the number of skills that can be equipped.

-The Light-Dark-Anima magic triangle needs to return, and magic classes need to be made more diverse. Something like Shamans being slower but having more defensive stats, Monks being faster but more fragile, and Mages being somewhere in the middle, perhaps. Or just having more magical classes in general.

-The secondary weapon triangle should be something like Bows-Knives-Shuriken.

-None of the weapon triangles should have weakness/advantage relations with each other.

-Weapon durability should come back, along withe Geneology's weapon repair mechanics.

Misc/Complete Bias

-Pants for everyone!

-The Dark Mage design should be removed in favor of the more traditional Shaman designs.

-In all honesty, IntSys needs to put more effort into their fanservice in general. Most of the fanservice in Fates is just plain lazy.

That's everything I can think of right now.

Edited by AzureSen