The next FE?

AmericanBuizel

The firearms would work similarly to crossbows in Radiant Dawn in that they would ignore the user's attacking stats and rely on might alone, as well as have 1-2 range. They would, however, be pretty strong with the weakest gun having around 24 mt. They would also do extra damage to beast units (because the sound of early firearms scared horses and horseback characters need a nerf). Their accuracy would be pretty low (like axes in Binding Blade) and they probably should not be able to double (since loading those guns took a long time). The unit who could use arquebuses, the "gunner" or "arquebusier", would have high skill and would be able to use cannons strewn about the maps. The cannons would be just a gun version of the ballistae (high might and low accuracy), but would have limited ammunition and could actually kill.

No doubling would be a good way to balance the high might of the weapon. Alternatively, they cold be like the Flintlock class in FFTA2 that required a turn to load before they used their abilities.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of complaints about the Avatar would be lessened if we were able to influence his personality to some degree.

Fire emblem has three shades of lords. You have the thoughtful young man like Marth and Eliwood, the more direct and harsher louts like Hector and Ike and the insecure ones like Corrin and to some extend Seliph and Eirika.

In the character customization you would be able to select these personalities for your Avatar and whichever you pick influences the way your Avatar would react in a situation. They already have some experiance with this. In Hector mode some things normally said by Eliwood are instead said by Hector in a more gruff manner.

I never like the more limited pool of magic in games like Fates and shadow dragon. It makes magic seem much less versatile than psychical weapons and I don't think that should be the case. Instead of having one tome three with perhaps one spell for all the elements I want either a return to each element having their own tomes on top of both light and dark magic returning, or at the very least put all the elements into Anima while also having at least one other kind of magic, either light or dark but preferably both.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Good point. But, money aside, would it be a nice addition to the series ?

I don't think the game needs it. The short cut scenes plus the brief bits of voice work in dialogue is fine. I wouldn't mind a fully voiced game, but money is a very real concern. I'd rather have limited but good quality voice work than lackluster voice work for the whole game.

I don't think the game needs it. The short cut scenes plus the brief bits of voice work in dialogue is fine. I wouldn't mind a fully voiced game, but money is a very real concern. I'd rather have limited but good quality voice work than lackluster voice work for the whole game.

I agree. The game does not really need it, yet that'd be great if it happened, as long as the voice acting is as good as he is and does not take all the funds at the expense of the game's quality. This idea came a little while ago when I realized how good VAs are and I thought that short clips somewhat 'wasted' their full potential. I mean that it could be even better, just look how good are some voiced cutscenes (*cough* that character's death scene in Conquest).

I think this is unlikely to happen, but I'd like a FE focused on civil war instead of a world war, with the player being able to join the rebels or stay with the royal army to wipe the rebellion. I think that focusing on a smaller scale war brings more opportunity to focus on a country and the main/side characters, probably netting a better story.

I've thought about a setting where the current monarch is weak but well-intentioned and just and corrupt nobles give the monarchy a bad name (like, well a slightly less evil Begnion from FE10), motivating a rebellion to rise. While playing on the royal army's side, the player would have the choice of helping the monarchy end the rebellion and strenghten itself enough to fix the many problems with corruption and abuse inside the country. While playing on the rebellion's side... obviously, their goal is overthrowing the monarch and establishing a new, fairer regime through revolution.

The caveat is, by playing on the royal side, the player has to endure or even cope (to an extent, so not exactly like Corrin in Conquest) with many injustices done by the aristocracy for the sake of greater good, that is, ending the rebellion, amassing enough support, strengthening itself and hunting down those same corrupt aristocrats in the end. On the rebellion's side, although their goals are just, their means would show to be radical and uncaring about the other side's points, usually unable to recognize between the good people who back up royalty and the bad. The prospect of instability after the revolution is complete x keeping stability with the monarchy and fixing issues one by one should weigh down on the player's choice.

I think this is unlikely to happen, but I'd like a FE focused on civil war instead of a world war, with the player being able to join the rebels or stay with the royal army to wipe the rebellion. I think that focusing on a smaller scale war brings more opportunity to focus on a country and the main/side characters, probably netting a better story.

I've thought about a setting where the current monarch is weak but well-intentioned and just and corrupt nobles give the monarchy a bad name (like, well a slightly less evil Begnion from FE10), motivating a rebellion to rise. While playing on the royal army's side, the player would have the choice of helping the monarchy end the rebellion and strenghten itself enough to fix the many problems with corruption and abuse inside the country. While playing on the rebellion's side... obviously, their goal is overthrowing the monarch and establishing a new, fairer regime through revolution.

The caveat is, by playing on the royal side, the player has to endure or even cope (to an extent, so not exactly like Corrin in Conquest) with many injustices done by the aristocracy for the sake of greater good, that is, ending the rebellion, amassing enough support, strengthening itself and hunting down those same corrupt aristocrats in the end. On the rebellion's side, although their goals are just, their means would show to be radical and uncaring about the other side's points, usually unable to recognize between the good people who back up royalty and the bad. The prospect of instability after the revolution is complete x keeping stability with the monarchy and fixing issues one by one should weigh down on the player's choice.

So basically an expansion of the ideas presented in Radiant Dawn's part 2? I think that could work.

So basically an expansion of the ideas presented in Radiant Dawn's part 2? I think that could work.

RD Part 1 and 2 + Conquest I guess, preferably with less obviously good/evil people on one side.

Edited by Rapier

I like the sound of that. Honestly, a setting like that could have worked quite well. Part 2 of RD was actually my favorite part; I'm still somewhat salty that it's as short as it is.

-In all honesty, IntSys needs to put more effort into their fanservice in general. Most of the fanservice in Fates is just plain lazy.

Wait...! What are you talking about with this last sentence? xD

I like skirts and dresses, but having more pants is always a plus (I actually like some tomboyish girls xD)

Wait...! What are you talking about with this last sentence? xD

All of the fanservice designs in Fates--cleavage windows, random thigh gaps, the Dark Mages, etc.--look silly instead of titillating, in my opinion. Instead of making designs that could be both practical and fanservice-y (like say the old Pegasus Knight outfits), IntSys took the lazy way out and just cut holes in outfits randomly. Which in turn lead to silly things like the battle thongs.

Edited by AzureSen

So here's an idea: make it a three way civil war between the monarchy, Republicans, and the nobility. In history the nobility has often opposed a strong monarchy as much or more than Republicans for their own benefit, so the game could start out fighting the nobility, but once they're defeated a royal general is popular enough that he declares a Republic, and a second civil war starts. To make things even better, the lord has a good relationship with both the monarch and the general; this leads to the choice being a lot more personal.

I agree on the smaller scale story. It is a nice idea too.

In general my hopes for an FE game would try and take what worked mechanically from other games with the goal of a tactical focus as the core of the game play.

-Less faction polarized designs. Fates went way to far on both sides and ended up with what felt like a lot of redundant classes plus the strong split limited the player's options

-A return of the various magic subtypes even if tomes share a category. Fates had such a minimized system that it really suffered

Light, Fire,Wind,Thunder,Dark all with their distinct specializations in how they interact. Siege tomes are also a must like ballista as they add a long range deterrent to the players strategy

In exchange I would be happy to see multiple sub classes under each weapon type with slightly different properties/stat variations etc. However probably not as polarizing as some of fates. all clubs simply getting more crit was relatively useless especially with weapons like bronze that could not crit.

-Less harsh weapon penalties. Some weapons mainly silver tier weapons has such a harsh penalty that they simply were not worth using

For instance fire spells could do small bonus damage on mounted "beast" units(as you know animals instinctual fear of fire leading them to obeying commands well sort of thing) This would serve to deter cavalry

wind working well against fliers is something that should really stick around I hated how fates cut this out for the most part(outside of one spell only usable by two specific classes)

Skills-These definitely need to stay and in more particular should be made more accessible to both the player and the enemy. Fates added some amazing tactical skills that were complete game changers however they were for the most part player locked. there were also some more or less insignificant skills that very well should be left out indefinitely

Warp-I actually think this would be a good skill to bring back as long as it is used by enemies as well. Its DLC lock limitations in fates was quite sad considering how it could have made for such an interesting chapter design... Just imagine warp ambushes and retreats... (definitely should never be allowed to be mixed with pair up, canto, galeforce or replicate)

Replicate-Like Warp this could have had so much potential for the enemy team if they could have used it For instance if enemies replicated and kept their copy back near support lines you could have enemies march forward while keeping tile/adjacent ally buffs/rallies and of course heals. Locking this skill to player units only was a huge waste of potential.(should be mutually exclusive with regards to pair up warp canto and galeforce)

Wary Fighter-Why did it take so long for this to exist? Every Knight/General should have this by default.

Blow skills-An excellent addition with massive tactical advantage this should become a series mainstay class of skills given liberally to both the player and the enemy

Canto-This needs to come back particularly for enemy forces as it was one of the things that made battles in FE 9-10 so intense by letting multiple enemies attack and retreat forcing you to prepare for that particularly on defense maps. (Should be mutually exclusive with regards to Warp Replicate Pair Up and Galeforce)

Galeforce is more or less useless in most enemies hands due to their fare lower stats. However it does have fascinating potential for the player(as well as enemy assassins with lethality) (Once again it needs mutual exclusivity to be fair)

Seal skills-Absolutely brilliant, the level of tactics and challenge it added was amazing. (My only gripe is the MU variant that lowered all skills no. simply no.) These need to return in both the player and enemies hands(particularly the enemies hands)

Capture, Steal and Disarm. All of three of these should return personally I would like to see a scenario where they play a large role in maintaining finances and recruiting characters. Stealing the gear from enemies has always been highly enjoyable. Engaging in a complex strategy all to acquire an enemy unit/a particular enemy weapon is such a rewarding feeling

Some other concerns/things to address

Hidden weapons-the idea of debuffing weapons is quite interesting they were just too good in fates. I feel they should generally be 1 range for the stronger ones and a small subset at 1-2 range like the standard melee classes.

Ditch that crappy triangle in fates. Historically archers were good anti mage units and fates broke the shit out of that just no...

With regards to Durability I feel an ideal solution hasn't been found yet.

One personal consideration I have pondered is to give weapons/spells a per chapter durability. conventional weapons would simply get weaker or duller as they are used. If the durability hits zero they don't break but become dull and suffer the bronze effect and a significant drop in damage. (In comparison bronze weapons would have no uses but would out damage any other dull weapon. Consumables could exist to restore a weapons condition(or possibly even simply be a command that costs the unit a battle turn or so(that would not be cancel-able w/ dancer effect)

Spells/staves/magic weapons would simply have charges or a specific number of uses per chapter. If depleted they couldn't be used at all(with exception of magic weapons which would simply become horrendous) . Rare essence consumables could be used to restore uses but there would be a limited quantity

The designs of FE 13-14 were horrendous In particular the terrible attempts to use highly impractical and stupid fan service is absolutely retarded and quiet disturbing. The person who came up with the idea to do so(as well as the responsible party for the highly disturbing "face" mini game thing found in the Japanese version 0_o), should be relived of their position and/or sent for psychological evaluation at the very minimum in order to gauge their risk to society.

-While the idea of a customize-able unit is not bad per say, IS has done a horrible job at it in the most recent games.

-Debuffs are a good thing to have in the game tactically but the lack of any consumables/staves to cure them should be a major no as every action should have a counter play.

-With regards to fates weapon system The effective speed penalties are an interesting addition but otherwise fates was too harsh on weapon penalties for B+ ranked weapons. For instance halving the attack of the user, dropping the users stats, all normal weapons with a ranged component being unable to double activate skills And (in the case of say the spear even attack at close range on top of that) This resulted in little to no benefit in actually bothering to get a weapon rank above C (except for the S rank tome, and Hidden weapon which were good the hidden weapon probably a bit To good...)

With a few exceptions it resulted in every decent weapon being generally either D or C rank(Holy crap the reaver type weapons were way too good). That is very bad balancing...

I am mixed on reclassing. Fates had the most balanced base set but it should permanently be restricted in number of options no marriage/friend seals/inheritance sets period.

After playing FE 13/14 pretty extensively I have come to conclude that anymore than 2-3 class set options MAX is ridiculous. For skills outside of their base set units should be able to learn them through either limited numbers of scrolls or maybe some sort of support oriented pairing thing restricted to giving the partner One skill only.

One thought is a three branch promotion instead of the usual two. with this at most characters might get one alternate class set if reclassing were to return which would mainly be for skills and should only be restricted to a related class personality ect wise at most. and maybe even an irreversible tier 3 class(only pick one though) I could also see reclassing ditched entirely with no loss as long as some manner of skill acquisition outside of classes is available

(For instance fighter could promote to Warrior, Hero or Beserker)

Also as a curiosity what would anyone think of E rank (or even a s***ier F rank) weapons being usable by anyone regardless of class?(where D starts the normal expected sequence and weapon experience could only be obtained in a class w/ that weapon type proficency)

One problem with this kind of faction split is how believable it is for all of your characters to support your position. Unless your characters don't have a particular stake in the conflict (they aren't more aligned with one faction over the other), you're going to run into a situation where large chunks of your cast wouldn't reasonably follow you if you chose the wrong faction.

Well next one is likely coming for NX unless support for the 3DS continues beyond the NX launch.

I really want to see Tellius-style Base Conversations return. Those had some nice hints about upcoming chapters as well as some good world-building. In fact, I'd appreciate some world building in general.

I would like to see a new artist or at least the return of an older one. No hate for Kozaki, but I'd like to see a different style. I hope and pray for a new art director though. One that doesn't have a fascination for panty armor.

As for gameplay, I don't really have to many specifics other than bringing back magic variety. Bring back Light magic and have more Dark magic variety. And while you're at it, put some effort into the magic animations, because Fates' sucked. What the hell did they do to Fimbulvetr?!

And if the Avatar thing must return (though I wish it wouldn't), let it be a side character and let the main characters do their job.

Almost everything I could ask for is right here.

I also don't want to see a second generation of units unless they actually contribute more to the story, rather than just "Awakening did it, we need to think of any way we can possibly make child units appear". Same could be said for any sorts of beast tribes, I don't remember any sort of purpose for the fox and wolf tribes in Fates other than for the sake of having playable beast units and filler chapters.

All of the fanservice designs in Fates--cleavage windows, random thigh gaps, the Dark Mages, etc.--look silly instead of titillating, in my opinion. Instead of making designs that could be both practical and fanservice-y (like say the old Pegasus Knight outfits), IntSys took the lazy way out and just cut holes in outfits randomly. Which in turn lead to silly things like the battle thongs.

Oh yeah! Now I get it.. and I agree.

Another great example of a good fanservicey design is Micaiah.

Micaiah has a short dress with side slits like the early Pegasus Knights

Edited by Troykv

To those who are arguing that a full voiced game is off budget, Have you looked at games like Xenoblade Chronicles & Kid Icarus Uprising? Those games used full voice acting. Sure, some of the dialogues aren't voiced but they are so few of them. The former is even more niche than Fire Emblem.

Heck have you played Valkyria Chronicles? That game has full voice acting.

Edited by Harvey

To those who are arguing that a full voiced game is off budget, Have you looked at games like Xenoblade Chronicles & Kid Icarus Uprising? Those games used full voice acting. Sure, some of the dialogues aren't voiced but they are so few of them. The former is even more niche than Fire Emblem.

Yeah, but I honestly doubt that a FE will have full voicing acting any time soon. It's text based dialogue is somewhat of a staple. I wouldn't mind it, though.

I'd like this. It'd also be a good way to introduce a Romanesque FE world like I've been wanting for a while.

So here's an idea: make it a three way civil war between the monarchy, Republicans, and the nobility. In history the nobility has often opposed a strong monarchy as much or more than Republicans for their own benefit, so the game could start out fighting the nobility, but once they're defeated a royal general is popular enough that he declares a Republic, and a second civil war starts. To make things even better, the lord has a good relationship with both the monarch and the general; this leads to the choice being a lot more personal.

I think this three-sided war would be more interesting though. One issue would be writing the general so that he's willing to betray the (presumably good) monarch, yet also likable enough that the player could conceivably want to side with him. We don't want a repeat of Conquest.

One problem with this kind of faction split is how believable it is for all of your characters to support your position. Unless your characters don't have a particular stake in the conflict (they aren't more aligned with one faction over the other), you're going to run into a situation where large chunks of your cast wouldn't reasonably follow you if you chose the wrong faction.

We could just do what Fates did and have a split cast. It worked well enough there. Even better would be if some of your party actually deserted after the route split, forcing you to sort of start over again.

I think this three-sided war would be more interesting though. One issue would be writing the general so that he's willing to betray the (presumably good) monarch, yet also likable enough that the player could conceivably want to side with him. We don't want a repeat of Conquest.

There are plenty of explanations. For example, the state's funds are drained following the war. In order to finance the reconstruction of the nation, the monarch cuts the pay of the army. The General is legitimately pissed off by this, believing that the soldiers should be treated better. This leads to a war where the choice is essentially choosing between pragmatism (not lowering the pay of the army because you can't afford it and there are things more important) and Justice (these men fought and died for the monarch, and now they're lowering the pay to rates at which some of the soldiers can't survive on). The monarch would be based off of Emperor Meiji and the general would be based off of Julius Caesar,

I just have a thought and I am wondering....what if instead of having a war, why not have a story where war never happens or can never happen unless you make it so? What if it was possible to have a story where death can be avoided if resolved sooner than later? or in other words, have some plot device that causes time travel or something?

Not if it happens as early as chapter 5, like with Fates.

Also, we could have characters deserting the main team... only to be recruitable again later on, kind of like with FE10 and Soulc Calibur 3's Chronicles of the Sword, if we go with blah's idea. I prefer keeping the premise simple instead of focusing on a three ways war.

Valkyria Chronicles also didn't make enough sales to keep it on the PS3 and had to move to handheld. This may be more related to development costs of console vs handheld than the cost of voice acting but it's worth mentioning that the series didn't have the budget to stay on the original system.

It's not that fully voiced games are impossible, just that it's a risk that might not pay off.

Not if it happens as early as chapter 5, like with Fates.

Also, we could have characters deserting the main team... only to be recruitable again later on, kind of like with FE10 and Soulc Calibur 3's Chronicles of the Sword, if we go with blah's idea. I prefer keeping the premise simple instead of focusing on a three ways war.

It's entirely doable, but unless you do what Fates did, like someone mentioned above, and have mostly exclusive casts, it won't work very well. Of the neutral cast in Fates you had:

Azura: Loyal to her own agenda

Felicia: Loyal only to you

Jacob: Loyal only to you

Kaze: Loyal only to you (but should be loyal to Hoshido)

Silas: Loyal only to you (for some reason)

Mozu: No stakes in the war

Izana: No stakes in the war

Shura: No stakes in the war

These excuses (while mostly valid) can only be so many times before it gets stale. Some games like Tactics Ogre can get away with this because most of your units don't have personalities and it's just a core cast that you follow. Fire Emblem casts might not be as flexible in their loyalties/principles.

Edited by NekoKnight