Which do you think handled Dismount better (FE3/FE5)

Jedi

Dismount  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which game do you feel handled Dismount better?

• Mystery of the Emblem
    • Thracia 776
    • Unsure

Now theres a feature that I adore in FE3 & FE5, called dismount, which forced mounted units to dismount indoors, it wasn't perfect and probably needed some tweaks, but which game do you think handled it better overall?

I think personally I'm going to have to go with FE3, while FE5's does it fairly well, you still get people who are amazing off horseback like Dean and other people, I feel in FE3 it actively makes you use your foot units more, although if you have say Palla or Sirius in Book 2 it doesn't matter too much to them, but it still encourages the use of your foot units more than FE5, in my humble opinion, but also didn't hamper the mounts quite as much.

Also for those of you unaware with how dismount works, in FE3 mounted units could generally only use Lances (As a cav or paladin) on horseback or Bows (as a Horseman) but on foot they had to use swords, unless they were a horseman they kept their bow on foot so they were basically a hunter indoors, however they didn't have to worry about a separate rank because FE3 has weapon level as a stat.

FE5 Swords were a seperate rank, so characters are actively hampered, however as mentioned before certain super good mounts like Dean also have really good sword ranks, and certain characters like Brighton had a good skill to compensate even without a mount.

Also your stats would be lowered when you dismounted, to just put that on-top of everything. Someone could probably explain this better than me, but thats my tiny summary.

(Also yes i'm aware Tearring Saga and Berwick expanded on it alot, I just wanted to see opinions in a FE context first)

Edited by Jedi

I'm unsure, to be honest.

At the end of the day, there isn't much of a difference between the two system and I don't find it to be more annoying if anything else: It's cool that your mounted units does no longer have canto and their typical high movement, so that they are at the same level of your foot unit, but It hinders them not having their weapon of choice(pegasus/wyvern knight-lance, axe knight-axe, etc...) and, even of It's minimum, I don't like that -1 in all the stats.

Plus, in Thracia, the good lance users in the game are mounted, while the two that can use lance in-door are terrible imo

Berwick Saga did it best

Gotta give it to FE3 due to the Wlvl stat being implemented instead of different weapon ranks, which becomes a huge pain in the ass in Thracia. Tearring's system is just FE3's, but with mounts always having sword access, and Berwick did it best by actively giving you a reason to want to deal with those stat drops even on outdoor maps. Mounts are a finite resource in that game, so you have to BUY more horses

I'm unsure, to be honest.

At the end of the day, there isn't much of a difference between the two system and I don't find it to be more annoying if anything else: It's cool that your mounted units does no longer have canto and their typical high movement, so that they are at the same level of your foot unit, but It hinders them not having their weapon of choice(pegasus/wyvern knight-lance, axe knight-axe, etc...) and, even of It's minimum, I don't like that -1 in all the stats.

Plus, in Thracia, the good lance users in the game are mounted, while the two that can use lance in-door are terrible imo

I think there is enough differences to warrant looking at them, I mean with FE3 you have Wlv instead of individual ranks which also determines how good a mount is also indoors compared to other mounts, Thracia to its credit in this case actually rewards you sitting your mounts out sometimes in these cases because of Fatigue as well.

I'm not sure which one I would say handles it better, but I will say I like Thracia's better. I like my mounted units having variety in what weapons they use. Sure, them having a lower weapon rank in swords kind of sucks, but I have never been too tempted to bring them in indoor maps. I've never played FE 3, but I feel like I wouldn't be too tempted to bring them indoor maps in that game either