FE4 Lewyn!Arthur or Lewyn!Ced

Mmicb0b

I initially planned on doing Lewyn!Ced however I noticed that Lewyn!Arthur not only has HIGHER Growth rates and has a mount however I am past turn 100 on Chapter 3 and Taito and Lewyn don't have feelings for each other plus the auto love convo this and who Azel is marrying (the one Lewyn isn't marrying)is literally the only thing I haven't figured out(pairing wise) hell by this point I am convinced I can't pull the pairings I figured out off(then again I did Requesis X Finn didn't think I'd pull it off and I did) so which one should I do (this wouldn't be a question if Lewyn!Ced didn't have 35% magic and didn't join late(not a fan of Late game Prepromotes who are solely reliant on Base stats to get them through the end game which Ced looks like in FE4 though not gonna lie 105% SPEED IS NOTHING TO LAUGH AT)

Lewyn!Ced is the way to go. Albeit,both are good choices. You should do Azel!Arthur

Plus Lewyn might actually be the canon father of Ced

but Lewyn!arthur has higher growth rates and Arthur's on a mount when promoted

They're both fine. I think the general consensus nowadays is that Arthur is "better" due to his jointime and getting a horse, but either will do just fine.

I initially planned on doing Lewyn!Ced however I noticed that Lewyn!Arthur not only has HIGHER Growth rates and has a mount however I am past turn 100 on Chapter 3 and Taito and Lewyn don't have feelings for each other plus the auto love convo this and who Azel is marrying (the one Lewyn isn't marrying)is literally the only thing I haven't figured out(pairing wise) hell by this point I am convinced I can't pull the pairings I figured out off(then again I did Requesis X Finn didn't think I'd pull it off and I did) so which one should I do (this wouldn't be a question if Lewyn!Ced didn't have 35% magic and didn't join late(not a fan of Late game Prepromotes who are solely reliant on Base stats to get them through the end game which Ced looks like in FE4 though not gonna lie 105% SPEED IS NOTHING TO LAUGH AT)

Honestly, pursuit is really important in this game. Even with a holy weapon, you have a hard time one rounding things by endgame without pursuit. Also, mage Knight has much lower bases than sage. Arthur's class's Mag Base/cap is 5(!) lower than sety's even after promotion. The 5% growth difference means around 1.5 ponts of difference, so arthur still has around 3 points lower magic at level 30. The choice is essentially to have holsety on a horse much earlier, or to have pursuit and higher stats. I usually prefer Arthur due to the horse, but sety has advantages. (levin is apperently beter than azel for Fee, for example, while azel is better for tinny).

Edited by sirmola

Arthur's start is fairly slow. He lacks Pursuit with Levin as a dad (give him the Pursuit Ring to fix that) and only starts with five move, but he gets a horse, and 9 move beats 6 any day. On the other side of the coin, Sety starts amazing, still is amazing, and always will be amazing. Bases and availability are both important as well. Sety has much higher bases and caps, while Arthur wins availability and eventually movement. Personally I've chosen Sety in my playthroughs, but either choice of the two are fine.

Honestly, pursuit is really important in this game. Even with a holy weapon, you have a hard time one rounding things by endgame without pursuit. Also, mage Knight has much lower bases than sage. Arthur's class's Mag Base/cap is 5(!) lower than sety's even after promotion. The 5% growth difference means around 1.5 ponts of difference, so arthur still has around 3 points lower magic at level 30. The choice is essentially to have holsety on a horse much earlier, or to have pursuit and higher stats. I usually prefer Arthur due to the horse, but sety has advantages. (levin is apperently beter than azel for Fee, for example, while azel is better for tinny).

tbh, thanks to Forseti, Continue, and Wrath, I don't think Arthur will have much difficulty at all killing stuff. Last time I played I think there were only a couple endgame bosses he couldn't kill.

His biggest problem, tbh, was that enemies just wouldn't attack him due to how strong he was.

Edited by shinpichu

If you give Arthur the pursuit ring, which isn't a bad idea, he ends up in the same league as Celice and Aless. Considering Holsety has 30 might and gives 20 speed, you're not going to miss the extra stats Sety/Ced offers. Sety does pretty well with it, but he's always going to be pretty good and he isn't quite as mobile. You end up with something amazing either way.

the thing about lewyn!ced is that oftentimes the extra stats are completely utterly irrelevant

like, the difference between eating 40 damage to your face (twice) and 60 damage to your face (twice) is relevant for approximately three enemies in the entire game.

It's actually a legitimate complaint that Ced doesn't get a mount. I was aghast at what he was capable of in my first run, but once I had a better feel for the game in my second, Ced found himself left behind constantly while Leif and Seliph destroyed everything. I suppose you can use some staff trickery to speed him up into combat-dense areas with everyone else, but it's a notable disadvantage that Arthur doesn't have.

In the grand scheme of things, it'll require a map-by-map analysis to truly compare the two.

Arthur has a horse.

Better caps are meaningless if you can't reach to the battlefield. The lack of Pursuit hurts but Levin is the best candidate for the Pursuit Ring in Gen 1 to begin with, and Levin!Arthur has a 57% chance of activating Adept with Holsety((22+20-5)+20%) so he will be doubling often even without Pursuit.

Levin!Sety has a higher Magic cap but he averages 26 MGC at level 30.

Levin!Arthur hits 25 MGC on average, which is the MK cap, +1 magic translates as only +2 damage in a double attack.

The only reason to use Levin x Fury would be a +5 STR Fee or the fact that is so easy to obtain unlike Levin x Tiltyu. (And maybe for canon reasons if you care about that.)

Edited by _Erai

Levin!Arthur:

- Joins in Ch.6, greatly enhancing the usefulness of Holsety

- Gains a horse upon promotion, greatly enhancing the usefulness of Holstey

- Arguably the best unit in all of gen 2

- No other father is even remotely as good for Arthur as Levin is [Azel!Arthur is pretty underwhelming, especially in lategame]

Levin!Sety

- Joins more or less in Ch.9, greatly limiting the usefulness of Holsety

- If a foot unit, greatly limiting the usefulness of Holsety

- Sety doesn't need Levin as father to be a great unit. Noish!Sety is an amazing combat unit and Claude!Sety can use every staff in the game.

Generally, I think Levin!Arthur is just way too good to pass up. Especially when you have plenty of ways to make Sety a fantastic unit regardless. Noish!Sety, for instance, simultaneously has Pursuit, Charge, Continue and Critical and he hits the opponent's resistance stat with the best weapon type in the game [Wind Magic]. He destroys pretty much everything without Holsety.

OP, you are putting too much emphasis on growths, particularly magic growth. Stop worrying and learn to love the Forseti: 30 base Mt will 2HKO anything.

Here's how you make the best of Arthur:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25746#entry1530652

Here too:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29384&p=1804732

OP, you are putting too much emphasis on growths, particularly magic growth. Stop worrying and learn to love the Forseti: 30 base Mt will 2HKO anything.

Here's how you make the best of Arthur:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25746#entry1530652

Here too:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29384&p=1804732

I've decided Lewyn!Ced because Tailto has WAY more Love for Azel and Furry has WAY more love for Lewyn next time though

• 2 years later...

Made an account just to say this. Arthur is the obvious candidate. I played Genealogy 5 times with both pairings, and I have several things to say.

1. I thoroughly enjoyed all 10 runs. 

2. Chapter 7 is a hellscape with no Forseti user.

The chapters after Ced joins are pretty easy anyway minus the final chapter, and Ced isnt really vital to beating book 2. Arthur isnt really either, but he is much more of an asset due to earlier joint time. It's like comparing Rutger and Karel, but if Rutger had a horse. Also, having a horse in Genealogy is far better than anything Ced brings to the table. People tell me Arthur requires training to reach the same tier as Ced, and while this is technically true, it carries all the wrong connotations. Arthur never has a phase where you need to baby him. Chapter 7 is his training. Inherit him the Bargain Ring, and buy him a Paragon Ring, and he'll be ready to promote by the next chapter. You could make the argument that Ced can be just as good with a leg ring, but that begs the question, why don't you have the leg ring on Seliph? 5 movement does'nt even matter, since in the turns Seliph takes seizing Yied, Arthur can shimmy his way to the action before it even starts, meaning he can solo the area for massive exp, therefor a promotion, therefor no 5 mov problems. I also consider Ced top tier no matter what, so you may as well give it to Arthur anyway, since Ced is mostly good for Staff utility anyway. I rest my case.