Fire Emblem: Order of the Crimson Arm(FinalVersion1.0 out)

TheMaskedRaider

Unit Poll  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Favortie Demo Unit/Character

• Algimas
    • Tactician
    • Ernst
    • Kurtis
    • Haylyn
    • Martel
    • Aceline
    • Boleslav
    • Negu
    • Gerwulf
    • Sven
    • Beatrice
    • Chiara
    • Robert
    • Nilda
    • Wayland
    • Vlad
    • Elaine
    • Celia
    • Foskey
    • Rorick
    • Odin
    • Meila
    • Lani
    • Brendan
    • Dita
    • Katarina
    • Aras
    • Warren
    • Franck
    • Auguste

On 10/24/2018 at 11:08 PM, XIII Hearts said:

So despite this being the final version of this hack, the story feels incomplete.  So at the end of the game, we apparently sent another country into chaos after we murdered all their military generals and the emperor was killed by Roswell, who honestly now feels like a leech on the plot because his story didn't seem to have a proper end.  Yes he supposedly blew up but we already seen that he can come back from the dead, so I'm not buying it.  The game even says that the threat of Roswell has ended "for now", heavily implying that he'll be back.  The Braxians have taken over the Southern Coast of the continent and it looks like they will try conquest again.  The story just seems like the first act of an ongoing story, and unlike the main series, there is no guarantee that there will be a sequel that expands on this story.  I honestly feel a bit blue-balled here.

I agree to the fact that the story feels incomplete with Roswell apparently still alive and the Braxians escaping, but even more so the game itself at times feels incomplete, I hope all the bugs with some of the houses, weapon descriptions, character descriptions and the endings are fixed via a new patch. Also maybe I'm just an idiot but I didn't understand what Algimas became at the end. Is he some sort of king or does he just stay as the leader of the crimson arm? I got his paired ending with the F.Tact and it is bugged so. And I think it would be cool if the F.Tact actually stayed with Algimas if they had an A support together. Overall this hack is amazing though I really enjoyed it.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Mini-Cafetos said:

I agree to the fact that the story feels incomplete with Roswell apparently still alive and the Braxians escaping, but even more so the game itself at times feels incomplete, I hope all the bugs with some of the houses, weapon descriptions, character descriptions and the endings are fixed via a new patch. Also maybe I'm just an idiot but I didn't understand what Algimas became at the end. Is he some sort of king or does he just stay as the leader of the crimson arm? I got his paired ending with the F.Tact and it is bugged so. And I think it would be cool if the F.Tact actually stayed with Algimas if they had an A support together. Overall this hack is amazing though I really enjoyed it.

The creator states in his first post that they are still working on getting the supports in and fixing the bugs, so I don't think you have to worry about that.  And I'm not sure what Algimas became at the end either.  I know he was knighted in the story and was granted a castle, so maybe this is an official ceremony of some kind?  I don't know, and I also don't know what became of the Crimson Arm either.  I enjoyed this hack too, but as it is now, I see no reason to play through it a second time because of the lackluster conclusion to the story.  FE 7 ending on a cliffhanger with Zephiel was okay because we already have FE 6.  This game doesn't have the luxury of a sequel game already existing, so the cliffhanger ending feels like a damp squib.

Hello all!  I stumbled across Order of the Crimson Arm because of Mangs youtube channel and thought sure why not.  I was pleasantly surprised!  Not only was it the first *complete* hack I'd played, but it was really, REALLY well done!  I noticed this forum and that the original creator was on this thread, so I thought I'd post feedback!

Gameplay:

Gameplay was excellent.  Everything felt balanced.  For not having multiple difficulty levels, it was perfect. It was challenging enough that I had to restart a few times but not so hard as I couldn't beat every level and get mostly every character/village/extra whatevers with only a few retries.  In some ways, I actually felt it was more balanced than some of the other Fire Emblem games out there. FE games tend to suffer from very difficult beginnings and very easy ends.  I thought the beginning was doable and I felt more challenged in some of the later levels than I have in games like FE7 and FE8.  I also thought the XP:Chapter ratio was spot on- all the units I was training were around level 18-20 promoted by the final chapter, and none of them hit 20/20 any earlier than 2 chapters before the final.  Sometimes with FE games you don't get the time to train your units to 20/20 and it feels like a waste, or you hit 20/20 WAY too early and it feels pointless, so I was really glad neither of those happened in this game.  One aspect that was easier than most Fire Emblem games: very few of the maps had chests/villages that could be destroyed.  Normally in FE games there is always some thief or bandit lurking to pilfer, so I felt like it was a little easy in that regard (but I also didn't particularly mind that being easier lol).

I really loved the maps and thought they were very well designed and unique.  Really my only actual complaint about gameplay was that the descriptions for how to beat the chapters were incorrect and displayed chapter goals from FE7.  So a lot of times I'd be aiming to kill a boss or something and expecting the chapter to end and it wouldn't and I'd have to try to figure out what I'm supposed to do instead.  But that's literally the only thing I would change.  Overall, for gameplay I was very impressed.

Storyline:

This is a tough category for me because I came across quite a few bugs that inserted Fire Emblem 7 dialogue in instead of Crimson Arm dialogue.  From what I read, it seemed like a solid plot.  I think I had some confusion at first with some of the NPCs and felt like the beginning was a little 'side-questy.' It would have been nice for some of the earlier plot to tie in with the later plot.  I read some of the comments people mentioned about the ending but I can't add any input because in my version (which I'm now wondering if it is an older version), after I beat the Final: Jormund chapter, it went straight into FE7's Unfulfilled Heart.  So I have no idea what happened after we killed Jormund.  But ignoring the gaps because of bugs, I'd say it was a solid plot line and kept me interested the entire time.  I also really liked the characters and thought there was a lot of personality gleaned from the major characters, but of course without support conversations all of the minor characters are a bit bland.  I think I'd read that you were planning on adding support dialogue?  I think that will help a ton.

Art:

I was impressed with the portrait art!  Most of it looked about as seamless as a regular Fire Emblem game!  Same with the custom sprites too.  I don't usually watch the battles (I leave it on overview map), but from what I did watch they looked good!  The only time I thought a sprite looked particularly odd was Algimas' promoted overview map sprite, as he looks bald in it.  Otherwise, art was really good, seamless, and unique.  Well done!

Questions:

* Did anyone else run into the problem of Unfulfilled Heart popping up after the final chapter?  Is this a bug that's been fixed/is there a more recent version I could download?

* Will there be any kind of chapter or character guide added?  I'd love to know if I missed any sidequests or characters. I know I missed one character (pegasus boss with the Delphi shield) but I'm wondering if I missed others too and how I'd go about recruiting them?

Edit:

I saw several comments of people not knowing what to do with the UPS file and therefore unable to play.  I've added a word document 'How to Convert UPS to GBA' to help anyone who doesn't know how to get the UPS file into playable form.  If there are any further posts with this question, feel free to direct them to this post.  Note: you need an FE7 file to patch the UPS file and the word doc I made doesn't explain how to get FE7 or a GBA emulator

How to Convert UPS to GBA.docx

Edited by Sheik
added instructions for patching ups file

10 hours ago, Sheik said:

Questions:

* Did anyone else run into the problem of Unfulfilled Heart popping up after the final chapter?  Is this a bug that's been fixed/is there a more recent version I could download?

* Will there be any kind of chapter or character guide added?  I'd love to know if I missed any sidequests or characters. I know I missed one character (pegasus boss with the Delphi shield) but I'm wondering if I missed others too and how I'd go about recruiting them?

I don't know the answer to the second question, but for the first, if you click the download link in the first post, it should take you to the most recent version.  That one has the ending.  I think you somehow downloaded an earlier version of the Hack.

Thanks!  Yes I downloaded the latest version yesterday (and then made that how-to document so others would know how to convert ups), so hopefully it is fixed in that version!  I was planning on playing again anyway though I might wait until winter break.  I'm hoping to go through it in more depth so I can pay attention to if there are any specific bugs that still need fixing or anything I'm particularly confused on to give better feedback.

I don't know what version I downloaded.  It was from one of Mang's youtube videos. I had just clicked one of the links in his description so he must have linked an older version.  Oh well!  I still got to play all the chapters at least and gameplay is what I care most about!

Bugs for one of the chapters

Spoiler

Not sure if anybody has mentioned it, but the Gorman chapter is has a couple, weird things in it, first of all when you kill Gorman and activate the gate mechanism, the freshly dead guy's dialogue for that event still plays which is kinda weird, also if you the player open the treasure chest at the bottom left, it is still treated as if Gorman got to it (even when he's dead) and you get a game over ( or at least when Isaac used a chest key on it, I didn't double check, because I did not want to risk a fourth play of the chapter) just thought you should know. 

Edited by Pengaius

Is there a Karla like hidden character in 20x, or is Ernest mentioning the arena just related to his backstory?

Enjoying the hack so far, though the swamp chapter and the one after it you fight the armless sage again in are pretty weak levels. The ones after it have picked back up though.

5 hours ago, deuxhero said:

Is there a Karla like hidden character in 20x, or is Ernest mentioning the arena just related to his backstory?

Enjoying the hack so far, though the swamp chapter and the one after it you fight the armless sage again in are pretty weak levels. The ones after it have picked back up though.

I'm not sure about 20x.  I dropped Ernest because he was never leveling up speed even though he had a 50% growth in the area.

Also Roswell isn't armless anymore.  He already has it reattached and fully functional the next time you battle him.

1 hour ago, Echidna_is_Bae said:

Is there a specific type of fe7 rom you need?  Because for me it says that the ROM is not compatible with the patch.

Is it the US version of the rom?

Edited by familyplayer

5 hours ago, deuxhero said:

I knew he got his arm back, I was just blanking on his name.

Is there a list of where the treasure in the desert chapter is?

Not that I know of, but here's the general locations of the treasures.  Have a unit stand on a tile next to the bone piles or on the bone piles if you use a flyer.  I forgot if every bone pile has a treasure near there, but almost all the treasure is located at those locations.  The one exception is the Member Card.  At the start of the map, visit the house on the immediate right.  The guy says he lost the Member Card somewhere.  I forgot which one it was, but you need to have a unit wait on one of the trees to the right of the house and you'll find it.  There's a secret shop on the same map when you get the Member Card, but I have no idea if there are any others.

Does anyone know the current growths of all the characters?  I think my Martel is getting speed screwed and defense blessed, and I think my Negu is getting screwed all around.

Edit: Also does anyone know the new support bonuses, I heard they were changed but not what they were changed to.

Edited by Echidna_is_Bae

On 11/7/2018 at 10:11 AM, deuxhero said:

Is there a list of where the treasure in the desert chapter is?

The member card is on the forest tile to the right of the house (and the secret shop it goes to is on the forest tile near the other shops).

All the bones have items near them.  Idk if all squares next to the bones will trigger getting the items or not.  Here's a list to see if you got them all:

• Gold&White gem is far right bones
  • Fortify is center bones
  • Nini's Grace is upper right bones
  • Gespenst is upper left bones

In the middle of a 0% growth run of this hack atm and it's been pretty fun for the most but there's a couple of things I'd like to bring up.

The divine tome costs 3k which is a bit too much for a meh C rank tome.

In Speech at Toulon(chapter 6 iirc) there's an armory and a vendor but there are no armory/vendor tiles on the map.

so initial thoughts on playing the prologue on my first playthough of this
Interesting start it being on a ship, new a fresh

actually being able to see your avatar is a neat idea

wish the main tactician had a more customized or more original look than a dark mage in combat (minor nitpick)

like the glaive design

kinda wish the dialogue from the first boss had been slightly more original that changing only 2 words from Bata the Beast (minor nitpick)

overall i like the start to this and am looking forward to playing through the rest

Does Fenrir do higher damage to units with higher res? Because O'Brien does 18x2 to my avatar, who has 33 res, and 11×2 to Sven, who has a whopping 4 res.  Is this how this works or is there something that I dont see?

Edit: I think it actually targets physical defense.  I thought it didmore damage to units with higher res because when I switched Brendan to a shine tome, he took more damage, but that is just because both lightning and divine give defense.

Edited by Echidna_is_Bae

Was wondering if a list of secrets/gaidens/recruitable units existed. I really enjoyed my playthrough and I know I got a fair amount of them but it's killing me thinking there could have been stuff I missed as I start up another playthrough. I enjoyed this more than any of the GBA Fire Emblems and I have played all of them extensively. In the mean time, when I play through the game again I will document all the gaidens and units I recruit and maybe someone else can compare.

Edited by cataclysmical

On 11/14/2018 at 8:56 AM, Echidna_is_Bae said:

Does Fenrir do higher damage to units with higher res? Because O'Brien does 18x2 to my avatar, who has 33 res, and 11×2 to Sven, who has a whopping 4 res.  Is this how this works or is there something that I dont see?

Edit: I think it actually targets physical defense.  I thought it didmore damage to units with higher res because when I switched Brendan to a shine tome, he took more damage, but that is just because both lightning and divine give defense.

Fenrir, for some odd reason, does physical damage.

Firstly I wanted to say I am enjoying this hack so much! The vast amount of characters and the designs are epic. I love playing this hack but I get frustrated because every chapter I finish I finish insecure because I feel like I miss tons of secrets and wish I could find a way to check whether I missed things after I've finished a chapter. If possible could you tell me where the secrets are as in which chapter there is a secret but don't tell me what the secret is or how to fulfill but give me a hint because I would love to recruit all the characters and get all the hidden things. Thank you so much and hope this hack stays strong!