The Golden Age. Signups/OOC/Discussion

riariadne

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Name: Ulysses Graystone

Appearance: Ulysses is 6'3" and 250 lbs. He has gray skin with a patch of white on his torso, covering his stomach and chest. In addition the palms of his hands, and the soles of his feet are white as well. Webbing goes halfway up between his fingers, and toes. His eyes are completely black, lacking any visible pupil, or sclera. Adding to his physical oddities his teeth are all flat, serrated and sharp. Falling out, and growing back quite easily. He has messy black hair atop his head, and is otherwise hairless. Ulysses tends to go both shirtless, and shoeless. Instead preferring to keep himself covered with nothing but pants made from the hide of an animal, and an axe.

[spoiler=Backstory] Believe it or not, Ulysses Graystone actually belongs to a noble family. Minor nobility, sure, and from Grunan, but despite his mannerisms and appearance he is a full blown noble. His parents weren't happy with their stature, his father stuck teaching magic to children of the more powerful families, and his mother was left to heal knights. Sure they were far better off than most others, but it wasn't enough for them. They wanted more, needed more, but had no way to get it. Until Ulysses' mother found out she was pregnant, that is. Though his father was cynical about the prospect of their unborn child getting further in life, the mother had heard of experimental magics in Rathuum. Magics which could turn a man into a monster, or a wizard into an archmage. The two of them couldn't resist spending their precious noble gold finding this magic, and the people who use it. So, after spending a sizable chunk of their family fortune they bought the services of the best pioneer mage, Bartholomew.

For eight months Bartholomew performed ritual after ritual, and spell after spell. Promising that their son would powerful, and magic. Then the day of truth, Ulysses' birth date, and he was a very healthy baby boy...with fangs, gray skin, a white belly, black orbs for eyes, and membrane between his fingers. Ulysses' mother was immediately furious, but his father managed to calm her down. Demi-Human though he may be, he still could be that intelligent mage they wanted. From that point on he existed as their dirty little secret. Never let out in public, and never seeing anyone other than his parents, they tried their best to teach him in tome and staff. Due to his Demi-Human nature, and the gold they'd spent on him, they had very high expectations for his capabilities. The moment he could read his parents immediately tried teaching him magic, and to their credit they did give him a couple of years. Well, his father did anyway, his mother gave up on him after a few months. It was clear that he had no talent with a staff, and his mother none for teaching. His father on the other hand did his best. He tried to teach him Anima, then Dark, then finally Light magic. Over the course of two years it had become staggeringly clear he had no capacity for magic at all. After finding out their prized mage was a dud there was only thing left to do, find Bartholomew.

That's the way Bartholomew told it anyway. Ulysses couldn't possibly remember any of that, and really, they expected him to use magic when he was six? However that was the only story Ulysses ever gotten from Bartholomew about how he ended up in his hands. A story which he was rather fond of telling as he would do his experiments. As Bartholomew would put it, "When a lesser man would see nothing but failure, a wise one would do further experimentation." Day after day Bartholomew would use this excuse as he experimented upon Ulysses. There was no way he'd been wrong, Ulysses was surely magical, but he just had to find out how. After holding Ulysses' head under water he found that he could breathe water just as a fish would, by using curses and spells on him Bartholomew found he was much stronger than boys his age, but that even the mildest exposure to light magic was fatal. The last test, as painful as it was, ended up being Ulysses' ticket out of there. Whilst on death's door after being hit by an Illuminate spell Bartholomew felt his research was done, and dumped Ulysses by the river near the mountains.

Luck had not been on Ulysses' side until that point. There near the river lived The Graystone Clan. A tribe of people claiming to be one of the few who remember the old ways. They found him nearly dead by the riverside, and despite everything, despite his inhuman appearance, despite him being an outsider, they decided to heal him. The Druid of the clan was the first thing Ulysses saw when he woke up. The strange woman only had one question to ask him, "What happened?", and Ulysses told her everything. It wasn't something Ulysses had wanted, or expected to do, it just happened. Sobbing the young Ulysses told her everything that had happened to him in his life. There were several things Ulysses expected to hear come from the runed woman's mouth, and several things he was afraid that the woman covered in pelts would do. None of them were what happened. He felt her arms wrap around him and heard her say, "Ssh child, no more. No one will hurt you here. You're one of the Graystone now." While a surprise to Ulysses it wasn't as surprising as what happened next. They accepted him, everyone, the whole clan. Just like that. From that day on he was one the proud members of the Graystone Tribe. Everyday he did his best to learn their ways, and make himself useful. He learned to hunt, to fight, to acknowledge the spirits as well as the dragons, and how to live with honor. He became a member of the Graystone Tribe.

Now at seventeen years of age it is time for his final part of joining the tribe. The Search. Every member goes through this coming of age ritual where they leave the tribe, and only come back once they've found what they seek. Ulysses has seen other members of the tribe leave and come back later. Months, sometimes years can go by before they return with what they sought, but most annoyingly to him, no one ever tells the others what it is they search for. They just come back having 'found' it. And now it's Ulysses' turn.

[spoiler=Stats]Class: Tribesman

HP: 22 (55%)

Str: 6+1 (50+10%)

Mag: 2 (15%)

Skl: 5 (40%)

Spd: 8 (65+5%)

Lck: 1 (15%)

Def: 2 (22%)

Res: 3 (21%)

Trait: Leviathan's Blood - Unit automatically has Piratewalk and gains +10% bonus to their strength growth along with +1 base strength. However the blood of the oceanic demon causes them to be susceptible to light magic.

Bonus: Survival instinct - +30 avoid while under 30% health. In addition this unit gets +5 speed growth.

Alignment: Light-0, Anima-20, Dark-40

Affinity: Wind (SHARKNADO!)

Skills: Banditwalk, Vantage

Weapons: Axes

Edited by Honey Bunny

information for your shortly upcoming friendly neighborhood NPC!

Name: Velvet Chaton.

Demographic: 21F, Baloric demicat. Born July 16th
Appearance: 5’3”, 97. At a first glance, Velvet is easy enough to mistake for a normal young woman. She has messy dark blue hair to her shoulders and fairly light skin. Her typical outfit includes a hooded purple cloak that covers most of her body. Perhaps the easiest signs of abnormality are her bright yellow eyes, and from there seeing there is more to her than at first glance. Under her cloak are her ears- feline ears, atop her head. A thin, but rather long tail becomes easy to spot as well. Her forearms and hands are covered in fur and her nails are long, retractable and claw-like, passing off rather easily as gloves, while her feet are essentially a cat’s hind paws. Lastly, her teeth are somewhat sharper than normal. Among friendly company, she generally doesn’t wear her cloak, instead opting for a forest green one-piece dress beneath, leaving her legs unobstructed.
Background: Velvet was not born human, nor even demihuman. Instead she was born a house cat in the Grunan region. Yet over time, the strange magics of the region secretly took their toll on her, until one day at age eight she undertook a sudden metamorphosis. From previously a perfectly normal cat, Velvet was transformed to become partly human- the very opposite of most transformations in the region. Her body kept many of her features as a cat, but was now predominantly that of a human girl. Her previous owners, though shocked, were demihumans themselves and took her in as their own daughter.
The process of adapting to her new humanlike form took time, but as she was educated, Velvet proved to be quite clever. Though she hadn't been human for much of her life, she generally acted and looked about her age. With a quick-thinking mind, nimble body, and pointed wit, in time she was well suited to mingling among humans and demihumans alike. Even with her obvious animal features, she developed a personality that managed to charm many of the people around her regardless- it was as if she had a mystical allure. Still, she wasn't without concerns, as her body would sometimes give her strange pains- the remnants of the magic that had transformed her seemed to linger, for good or for ill. And as she grew older, thoughts gnawed at her mind at whether the path she took was where she should truly be.

As a young adult, her personality lead to becoming a moderately successful merchant and overall adventurous. She traversed Titan and dealt with all kinds of people and objects as she traded. Naturally, the discovery of the Gifts intrigued her- not only would it be a new kind of opportunity, perhaps there would be power to ease her pains and troubled mind.

Stats: no stats! Noncombatant NPC.

• 2 weeks later...

I took some time over the last couple days to update the world map. The previous one had terribly clashing colors, a few inaccuracies, and didn't label things. Now the new version does! The only thing I omitted is a key from the previous ones because most things are fairly obvious now with the better coloring.

standard map

GckPSRH.png

I also made a second version that depicts all of the regions. (it ruins a lot of the details to have all their names, so I didn't want that to obscure everything else that I did. Note that Rathuum wasn't forgotten, but it does not have official regions because of its extremely low population and overall lack of government since the start of the Heroic Age. Madrigal also has no regions due to its small area.)

with regions

Lgp2xVm.png

Edited by Reinfleche

• 1 month later...

Ok! My suggestion for distribution of resources:

Even gold split as suggested in thread

Exp/Wexp:
Kaya: 20/4
Jovi: 39/4
Telm: 69/5
Aaron: 25/4
Kolmar: 55/4
Raz: 56/5
Mika: 36/4

Sol: Aaron or Mika
Magic Vial: Raz, maybe Kaya
Steel Lance: Kolmar
Steel Bow: Raz in exchange for vuln
Soul Surge: Jovi
Arms Scroll: Convoy
Frostblade: Convoy
Steel Dagger: Kaya, Kaya's Iron Dagger goes to convoy
Cutlass: Mika
Hand Axe: Aaron
Contaminate from chest: Aria/Convoy

Edited by scorri

• 4 months later...

Kolmar:

+1 to Strength, Defense, and Resistance (because Speed is seriously his non-highest HP stat, WTF)
5% to Strength, 5% to Skill, 5% to Luck (blame Velvet)

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hey uh, I'm gonna bail

I'm just not feeling it anymore and have decided other things are a priority to me right now. This kind of pacing is not for me, and I've lost my fire for the setting, which led to my very often lack of responsiveness and late posting. It's very jarring to come back to it after extended pauses and I'm having trouble motivating myself for that, but I don't want to be the reason scenes drag on either.

While I wish my best for the rest and what you guys decide to do, I think I should make my leave while I can. At the least you guys can decide which pacing fits you best without me.

As always, thanks for the ride.