How do Gaiden's Mercenaries fare in other classes?

Topaz Light

Since Sevr, Kamui, Jesey, and Deen all start in the Mercenary line, they're all able to eventually loop back around to Villager to turn into either Soldiers, Cavaliers, Archers, or Mages (or I suppose back into Mercenaries) if the player wants.

I understand the sheer amount of grinding on its own probably renders that not worth it, but I was kinda curious how they perform in other class lines, or at least if there are any of them that are particularly noteworthy in other classes.

I've never done this but would be interested to hear from someone who has.

Looking at the mage class, the defining trait is what spells they learn. Everyone learns fire at base and heal on promotion but other spells are what really matter. The only extra spell Dean learns is arrow - the worst high damage spell for its low accuracy and high HP cost. By contrast, Saber learns angel - light enough to use regularly, strong enough to matter and bonus damage against monsters - Kamui learns excalibur - the best spell in the game for its low weight, moderate damage and high crit - and Jesse learns both excalibur (at level 2 no less) and thunder - occasionally useful for 1-3 range. I'd never put Dean in the mage class but I might try it with Saber, Kamui or Jesse.

Stat-wise, class promotion gains can be huge, depending on the unit's growths (e.g. Luka and Force will get big str/def gains from promoting). However, class-changed mercs will be coming from the demonslayer class which has very high bases - anyone who comes from it will already have high stats, particularly with all the extra levels. The only reason you'd reclass them is for more movement or so they can use bows. Not bad reasons but not really worth the effort, as far as I can see. The only other thing to consider is that reclassed villagers will gain experience as if they had never levelled, so they will grow like crazy if they keep fighting the same enemies they did as a demonslayer (which they can do with their high stats). If you're going to keep grinding before promotion, do so in the low-tier classes for maximum efficiency.

Sorry, that was a bit of a meandering ramble through my thoughts on reclassing. I'm looking forward to what everyone else has to say.

They gain a lot of stats that they're pretty much useful as anything if you can be bothered to grind that much - I made Saber a Bow Knight just for kicks leveling with the Angel Ring and he capped most stats I believe.

I do think they are pretty poor mages since they gain few spells, but I wouldn't say there was any real noteworthy worth in the others.