Cipher Series 8: April 20 - Promo Chrom in Dengeki Nintendo!

Kirie

Yellow seems to be a trend setters. For once, it's the only color to only have a single Axe user, and he wasn't in the boosters, but rather as a non-foiled ST card. And unless Johan/Johalva save the day that won't change until Thracia. Yellow is also the first set since Red back in set 1 to have 4 male SR and only 2 female SR.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yellow seems to be a trend setters. For once, it's the only color to only have a single Axe user, and he wasn't in the boosters, but rather as a non-foiled ST card. And unless Johan/Johalva save the day that won't change until Thracia. Yellow is also the first set since Red back in set 1 to have 4 male SR and only 2 female SR.

Well... I'm not surprised with the Axe Deal.

The only relevant Axe User from Holy War are Lex, Johan, Johalva... the rest are NPCs.

Edited by Troykv

Gonna second the fact that Leif should get a SR. Sure, Thracia is going to happen, but so is Sacred Stones.... whenever,I guess?

Altena should also get a SR, because like it or not, both Sigurd & Quan's family play a huge part in the Jugdral Saga. As for Leif, even in Genealogy he isn't even a minor character, due to getting inheritance from Ethlyn and being related to Seliph.

I really think it says something about the strength of characterization in Genealogy that we all think there are way too many characters that deserve SR slots. :P

It's more um the midquel issue with Genealogy and Thracia for me. I don' think both Leif and Altenna will get a SR in this set ... due to the fact that Ethlyn didn't get one. Leif is guaranteed an SR down the line, and this is really Altenna's only chance.

Our faces will be great when neither gets it and it's Julia, Seliph, Julius, Sety, Shanan and Ishtar.

I wouldn't like to see Altenna losing a spot... But I would be really happy if they put Isthar instead of Larcei.

I could see the SRs being the major bloods but that leaves the questions of where does Corpul stand and are they just acknowledging FE5 canon (and essentially FE13 DLC canon, which part of me can't see why they wouldn't since FE13 is literally part of this set) for Sety? Trabant didn't even get a card in set six so Arion might be screwed. If I'm lucky he'll get the Mahnya position in this set. Would he even get an SR though?

Really Sety deserves like three normals, three high normals, two rares and four SRs but I mean.

I want to see Fin in this set too because if they leave out Jugdral's hero idk what to say man. I know he was in set six but he's Fin.

I also want to see Holsety but that's just wishful thinking.

Technically it'd be gen 2 Levin but I'm not about that pretend life.

Still waiting for a Faval and Johalva preview... I'm like okay come on there are like at least ten characters they could be showing that I'm more excited to see and y'all in the Cipher production department have previewed not a single one yet. I love Celice and Yurius but I could've seen those coming from miles away.

Leaf might get an SR but it's possibly also a matter of if they're planning a set for FE5 at all. If they are, well, Leaf, Fin and Nanna might get the short end of the stick this time. That or Leaf will have another big blob of TCG like he did in the original TCG sets. I'm gonna hope for that. Maybe an FE5 set will give Sety another card.

Also I want art of Johalva and Johan as one artwork but that's also heavily wishful thinking.

Edited by Jugdral Defender

I think Finn will get more cards until Thracia.

Anyways if you want to get deep into this prediction thing, in the the last two sets each color has had, excluding Cipher exlusives and R+X, 25-27 characters regardless of card count. In fact only Holy War Gen 1 had 25, the rest has had 27 characters total. Furthermore, before Set 6 there were more characters, usually 28-30 but also the amount of character with a single card was much higher. For instance HW Gen 1 had only 5 characters with a single card, Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem in set 4 had 17 characters with a single card, and FE7 had 9 characters with a single card.

The bare minimum of characters that will be present for Gen 2 will be 25. The playable characters alone in Gen 2 make 25 characters, so it's safe to say nearly everyone relevant will get a card, however things might get shaky for units like Aerone, Travant, Ishtar, and (my personal favorite) the Pegasus Trio in this game.

Edited by SalShich10N

Ishtar seems overwhelmingly popular so I can't see them skipping her. She technically also falls into the villain category, whereas Arion is an ally unit in the end, so I figure they might sneak him out of the villain category and knock him into ally/neutral like Mahnya.

If there's a Trabant I don't see why there wouldn't be an Alvis.

Hoping for another FE4 gen 2 set though because Tellius is getting in another set (without any FE13 or 14 which iirc they've only done once to date). If they're finally willing to chill out a bit on the newer games, hell, we might even get FE2, 5, and 8. So if we do get another FE4 set we'll hopefully be able to clear all the characters as having at least one card, counting the gen 1 characters still alive in gen 2, etc.

I REALLY want a Master Knight Leaf card in this set though.

I doubt both Travant and Alvis get cards. Villains beyond the big faces don't seem to have much presence. Rather they seem to be focusing on playable for Jugdral, if the pattern from set 6 is to be followed.

Anyways I assume there won't be any news until January or February, am I right?

Except, you know, the black fang. We didn't even see nergal in that set, man.

That's FE7, a title well in the modern series, I was talking more about the direction they're going with FE4. If they wanted to give FE4 villains presence then Set 6 was perfect for it since Nohrian cards that shared set with Gen 1 was what started the current trend of villains getting more attention. Moreover the Black Fang was a crucial aspect of that game's story and gameplay.

In FE4, however, the villains are a lot more fleeting and usually most villains with few exceptions die within the map they're introduced. Then again, Gen 1 specifically was really just Sigurd slowly dealing with present emergencies that snowballed him into conquering half a continent. We'll have to wait and see, but I doubt villains other than Julius, the main antagonist and otouto to Seliph, and Ishtar, the Camus archetype and lover to the antichrist, will get cards.

I doubt both Travant and Alvis get cards. Villains beyond the big faces don't seem to have much presence. Rather they seem to be focusing on playable for Jugdral, if the pattern from set 6 is to be followed.

Anyways I assume there won't be any news until January or February, am I right?

That's why I mentioned Arion getting Mahnya's spot, because Mahnya was never playable. He's also kind of important to the story... if he, a supposed villain, managed to survive the final chapter. ...Assuming the player doesn't, you know, kill him...

Manfloy also didn't get a card in set six and he's a huge villain - basically the legit villain of FE4. They used to seem to focus on the major/main villain of the series, but as ChibiToastExplosion mentioned, they've included the Black Fang even though they weren't main villains. Trabant is more important in gen 2 story-wise than in gen 1, and not even giving him one card after giving the Black Fang cards is just a bit odd to me. ...I'm still mad there was no Ephidel though.

That's FE7, a title well in the modern series, I was talking more about the direction they're going with FE4. If they wanted to give FE4 villains presence then Set 6 was perfect for it since Nohrian cards that shared set with Gen 1 was what started the current trend of villains getting more attention. Moreover the Black Fang was a crucial aspect of that game's story and gameplay.

In FE4, however, the villains are a lot more fleeting and usually most villains with few exceptions die within the map they're introduced. Then again, Gen 1 specifically was really just Sigurd slowly dealing with present emergencies that snowballed him into conquering half a continent. We'll have to wait and see, but I doubt villains other than Julius, the main antagonist and otouto to Seliph, and Ishtar, the Camus archetype and lover to the antichrist, will get cards.

The US' take on the games is irrelevant when it comes to popularity as these cards are made in Japan and only Japan presently (i.e. yes it's done great overseas but even in Japan everything is kinda FE13/14 now). FE4 is huge in Japan, and still their fourth (is it fifth?) best seller iirc, only since FE13 and FE14 came out (in other words, it's still VERY recent it lost its spot as the second most popular. Might've been third. Either way the JP fandom for it is still pretty incredible seeing as the game is twenty years old).

As for Black Fang cards, well, that's what I mean by "important". You can't say Manfloy, Trabant and Arion are all plot irrelevant characters. Alvis is the boss before the final (not counting the mini bosses; I'm talking final bosses of the chapters). Basically I mean the best way to stick to what they've been doing is to give more villains more spots. And again, I wouldn't even count Arion as a villain since his final position in the game is an ally unit.

Now, expecting Hilda or Blume would be pushing it. Trabant? I don't think that's pushing it. I don't know the scale of his popularity, though.

I may not like Trabant but he at least deserves a spot for having a more than decent son.

As far as dates go for news, well... it almost is January, so not a long wait at least. Half a month isn't that bad.

...Can I see a Shanan preview now??? Maybe??? Yes???

That's why I mentioned Arion getting Mahnya's spot, because Mahnya was never playable. He's also kind of important to the story... if he, a supposed villain, managed to survive the final chapter. ...Assuming the player doesn't, you know, kill him...

Manfloy also didn't get a card in set six and he's a huge villain - basically the legit villain of FE4. They used to seem to focus on the major/main villain of the series, but as ChibiToastExplosion mentioned, they've included the Black Fang even though they weren't main villains. Trabant is more important in gen 2 story-wise than in gen 1, and not even giving him one card after giving the Black Fang cards is just a bit odd to me. ...I'm still mad there was no Ephidel though.

The US' take on the games is irrelevant when it comes to popularity as these cards are made in Japan and only Japan presently (i.e. yes it's done great overseas but even in Japan everything is kinda FE13/14 now). FE4 is huge in Japan, and still their fourth (is it fifth?) best seller iirc, only since FE13 and FE14 came out (in other words, it's still VERY recent it lost its spot as the second most popular. Might've been third. Either way the JP fandom for it is still pretty incredible seeing as the game is twenty years old).

As for Black Fang cards, well, that's what I mean by "important". You can't say Manfloy, Trabant and Arion are all plot irrelevant characters. Alvis is the boss before the final (not counting the mini bosses; I'm talking final bosses of the chapters). Basically I mean the best way to stick to what they've been doing is to give more villains more spots. And again, I wouldn't even count Arion as a villain since his final position in the game is an ally unit.

Now, expecting Hilda or Blume would be pushing it. Trabant? I don't think that's pushing it. I don't know the scale of his popularity, though.

I may not like Trabant but he at least deserves a spot for having a more than decent son.

As far as dates go for news, well... it almost is January, so not a long wait at least. Half a month isn't that bad.

Sales-wise the order before Awakening/Fates (Japan Only)

Mystery of Emblem > Holy War > Binding Blade > (I'm unsure with the rest)

I don't think Malfoy will get a card. Gharnef doesn't has one, Nergal doesn't has one, neither does Sonia, Izuka, Validar or Iago. The black fang was a special case completely since they weren't inherently evil, just misguided by Sonia, and the player was to empathize with them.

I don't believe I ever mentioned the US take on the series, but this Cipher is definitely favoring new over old. Don't forget that despite Mystery of the Emblem being one of the highest selling games, Shadow Dragon and New Mystery were still among the most recent games when Set 1 came out. Sure FE4 was a sensation when it came out during the nineties, but that was 20 years ago. Holy War not only is decades old, but also IS seems to try and relinquish Jugdral to the side often. I would not be surprised if the reason all playable characters in Jugdral were featured in the first set is because they don't plan to revisit Jugdral once every game has a set. Unlike, say, FE6 and 7 which have a good number of characters without a card that opens room for new sets.

Also here is your Shannan

0w0MMU6.png

I think the increase in NPC cards is a trend that will be staying. I would wager, that the increase in NPC is a result of fan feedback from Cipher events, and it just took awhile for that request to be met.

I think the increase in NPC cards is a trend that will be staying. I would wager, that the increase in NPC is a result of fan feedback from Cipher events, and it just took awhile for that request to be met.

In relation to this, I decided to look up how many NPCs were in each series (not counting Cipher originals). The results were:

Series 1: Camus*

Series 2: None

Series 3: Leanne**, Black Knight**, Greil

Series 4: Tiki (TMS)

Series 5: Narcian

Series 6: Eldigan, Arvis, Mahnya, Garon, Arete, Anankos

Series 7: Lloyd, Linus, Ursula, Limstella, Sumeragi, Mikoto, Anankos (again), Lilith

*Playable in Gaiden and (New) Mystery of the Emblem, but not as Camus

**Playable in Radiant Dawn, but the series was based on Path of Radiance

So there's definitely an increase in NPCs around series 6. For series 8, due to my lack of familiarity with Genealogy I'm not sure who to expect aside from Julius, Ishtar, and Arion. Travant is probably notable enough to get a card too, but I don't think he'll get one in this set. Awakening also doesn't really have any notable NPCs aside from Validar and Grima, because the people that normally would be NPCs are playable via Spotpass.

Edited by Lightchao42

I could possibly see Cervantes and Excellus joining with Walhart in series 8, but Awakening does lack a strong group of NPCs. I also think now that Cipher has established itself with a firm and loyal fanbase, IS will take more risks with the additions to the roster.

Series 1: Camus*

*Playable in Gaiden and (New) Mystery of the Emblem, but not as Camus

He is playable in one of those BS maps along with Nina and his 3 horse dudes Belf, Lieden and Robert who are not dressed in sable clothing, by the way. (like, seriously, they're called the "Sable" order and only Camus is dressed in black).

Ishtar is virtually a shoe in for at least one card. My biggest concern is for Hannibal, there's room for him, but the Lorenz characters always seem to get passed over.

The chance of Hannibal being skipped is pretty low, but don't expect him to get anything more than what Arden or Lex received.

FE4 Gens 1 and 2 have the same amount of characters, so I'd expect Julius and Ishtar to be the main ones to fill in the last bit like Arvis and Mahnya were.

I expect substitutes to either never be touched or be saved for their own set. Even then, I highly, highly doubt it.

I mean, it's been pretty much forever since we've seen Red and yet it would take at least two more sets to get every character from New Mystery.

Ishtar is virtually a shoe in for at least one card. My biggest concern is for Hannibal, there's room for him, but the Lorenz characters always seem to get passed over.

Hannibal I highly doubt will be skipped so much as he'll only get one card.

I am sure no fan could forget the clusterfuck that is chapter nine and fully involves trying not to kill Hannibal or being killed by Hannibal while trying to get to Corpul and trying to get subsequently get Corpul to Hannibal.

Ishtar I'd guess will get at LEAST two cards.

I don't think Malfoy will get a card. Gharnef doesn't has one, Nergal doesn't has one, neither does Sonia, Izuka, Validar or Iago. The black fang was a special case completely since they weren't inherently evil, just misguided by Sonia, and the player was to empathize with them.

I don't believe I ever mentioned the US take on the series, but this Cipher is definitely favoring new over old. Don't forget that despite Mystery of the Emblem being one of the highest selling games, Shadow Dragon and New Mystery were still among the most recent games when Set 1 came out. Sure FE4 was a sensation when it came out during the nineties, but that was 20 years ago. Holy War not only is decades old, but also IS seems to try and relinquish Jugdral to the side often. I would not be surprised if the reason all playable characters in Jugdral were featured in the first set is because they don't plan to revisit Jugdral once every game has a set. Unlike, say, FE6 and 7 which have a good number of characters without a card that opens room for new sets.

I'm referring more to the fact that if you're talking "villain", Manfloy would be essentially, logically, getting that seat. Yurius is TECHNICALLY a villain though possessed, so he's in the same category as Lyon (presumably by dialogue was a sweet kid and went batshit from possession). Alvis was never a villain but he's an antagonist, and the "main" antagonist in gen 1 (and ultimately Manfloy is the legit main villain/antagonist behind the scenes in gen 1 too).

Basically I do feel Manfloy should get at least SOMETHING even if it's not this set. Some set in the future maybe, but he has such a ridiculously heavy impact on the plot and even Celice completely acknowledges that fact if you have Celice fight him in the final chapter. I feel like it's a bit of a waste not to include him at all.

Tbh I kind of want a set with like... ALL villains from every FE game but that might be way too much wishful thinking.

Slightly about something else so under a spoiler tag.

The Cipher sets are favoring FE13/14 because they're newer and what gave them obnoxious sums of money. They couldn't base an entire TCG on two games though, so they kind of littered everything else along the way and are (still) repeatedly milking everything they can out of 13/14. I'm actually really glad they're chilling out on that for set nine. Kind of odd that they'd do cards for manga characters who aren't even canon to the games, but aiight. Tellius is getting doubled for set nine and I am a-okay with that.

I'm pretty sure IS just keeps putting Jugdral on the back burner I swear no pun intended because they prefer not to acknowledge Kaga where possible (like how I was told he had like one mention in the FE anniversary book?). It's been a pretty well known thing that IS and Kaga aren't fond of each other, and the fact that they pushed it by remaking one of his games with not only a difficult setting, but a MU on top of it all (both to his distaste, at least presumably for the MU based on what he's said about them), kind of pushes that point further. Then they kind of just pretend Jugdral isn't a thing unless it's about getting money... but at least they recognize it gets them money. That's actually my biggest issue with IS. They MIGHT do FE5 for Jugdral. They're not getting any more money from me though if they don't continue with Jugdral cards. ...Seeing as this is the only time I'm spending money on these cards. Not that I even had the money for them anyway before set eight tbqh.

I'd assume they wanted to actually get the name of Cipher out by starting with known characters and the like. It would be way more risky to release the first sets with more unknown characters. Characters you can recognize at a glance when you're not a huge, knee-deep FE fan are the types they were likely aiming for in the original sets. Now that they're more confident the sets will sell and they know they're doing well, they're going out of those boundaries giving more surprises in character appearances.

In this case though for set eight, FE13 doesn't really have NPCs for that, so it'd have to be FE4 that takes those slots. I'm guessing they plan to do Risen versions of all the main cast, which should fill up FE13's slots. Not sure how many characters would actually get multiple (like three/four) cards as Risen/I'm not sure how creative they can be with that. Has there been any confirmation that this set is strictly gen 1 of FE13, or were they also planning cards for the kids in outfits from the destroyed future?