[New 3DS] FE4 just hit the Japanese New 3DS Virtual Console!

PlayGaiden.EXE

Title pretty much says it all.

I already hit admins up for the News section, just thought I'd post here anyway for the die-hard fans who'd want it.

Any thoughts? I personally am glad it's now portable. Tons of fun ahead on road and plane trips.

Edited by JohnnyMario

I'm not too keen on an official remake by IS, especially given the direction the series has been heading in lately.

If you're looking for a different way to experience the game, there's a very good romhack right here on SF that uses the GBA mechanics as a base. They've expanded on it quite a bit though, including adding personal skills. It currently goes up to the end of the Agustria arc.

They should release Fire Emblem 7: Blazing Sword on the New Nintendo 3DS virtual console already.
Since I don't own a Wii U and would like to play an official copy, sure I could try to find an old GBA copy, but those are quite rare...
I don't get why they are releasing GBA titles on the Wii U virtual console instead of the 3DS one. The games were designed for handhelds so why not re-release them on a handheld? (the Ambassador program proved it is possible)

Nice to see them releasing older Fire Emblem games in Japan though!

Edited by Masterthunderblade

I expected this. The emulator for 3s virtual console games actualy contains a file with a list of game names. FE4 was on that list. Generaly, the nintendo games on that list match the nintendo games that have actualy been realeased. (for example, kirby's dream course was on the list, and was later realeased.) It can be found here, although the translations are really bad: https://tcrf.net/Nintendo_3DS#Unannounced_Super_Nintendo_titles

Square/Enix games on the list seem less likely to be realeased, which is to bad because i really wand to play secret of mana.

They should release Fire Emblem 7: Blazing Sword on the New Nintendo 3DS virtual console already.
Since I don't own a Wii U and would like to play an official copy, sure I could try to find an old GBA copy, but those are quite rare...
I don't get why they are releasing GBA titles on the Wii U virtual console instead of the 3DS one. The games were designed for handhelds so why not re-release them on a handheld? (the Ambassador program proved it is possible)

The embaseder games are not virtual console games. the CPU can literally act like a GBA cpu by doing things like downclocking itself. None of the 3ds's usual features, (like streetpass or sleeping when you close the screen) work when it is doing this. Interestingly enough, nintendo appears to have tried to get full GBA emulation to work. The emulator used in GB/GBC VC titles is actually capable of running GBA games if you inject them into it, but it's very slow and unstable. Source: https://tcrf.net/Nintendo_3DS#Game_Boy_Advance_Support

I don't know if they have tried it for the new 3ds though. The GBA is somewhat more powerful than the SNES IIRC.

Edited by sirmola

I expected this. The emulator for 3s virtual console games actualy contains a file with a list of game names. FE4 was on that list. Generaly, the nintendo games on that list match the nintendo games that have actualy been realeased. (for example, kirby's dream course was on the list, and was later realeased.) It can be found here, although the translations are really bad: https://tcrf.net/Nintendo_3DS#Unannounced_Super_Nintendo_titles

Square/Enix games on the list seem less likely to be realeased, which is to bad because i really wand to play secret of mana.

The embaseder games are not virtual console games. the CPU can literally act like a GBA cpu by doing things like downclocking itself. None of the 3ds's usual features, (like streetpass or sleeping when you close the screen) work when it is doing this. Interestingly enough, nintendo appears to have tried to get full GBA emulation to work. The emulator used in GB/GBC VC titles is actually capable of running GBA games if you inject them into it, but it's very slow and unstable. Source: https://tcrf.net/Nintendo_3DS#Game_Boy_Advance_Support

I don't know if they have tried it for the new 3ds though. The GBA is somewhat more powerful than the SNES IIRC.

Huh, I did not know this. But is it really such a problem if features like sleepmode and streetpass don't work? The original GBA didn't have those features either. (Granted the GBA SP did have a sleepmode)

Still, this information provides some useful insight into the cause of a lack of GBA games on the 3DS VC. Thanks for that!

Edited by Masterthunderblade

It is only for the JP N3DS? I have a regular JP 3DS XL and I'm interested. However, playing it without an emulator's speed up option is a terrifying thought, despite it being my fav game.

Huh, I did not know this. But is it really such a problem if features like sleepmode and streetpass don't work? The original GBA didn't have those features either. (Granted the GBA SP did have a sleepmode)

Still, this information provides some useful insight into the cause of a lack of GBA games on the 3DS VC. Thanks for that!

You'd be surprised how nice sleep mode is to have. Take it from someone who has done custom GBA games on his 3DS via homebrew. There's also the matter of the 2nd screen not really shutting off when you do play the GBA games, so you won't get the longevity of battery life the various GBAs had.

It is only for the JP N3DS? I have a regular JP 3DS XL and I'm interested. However, playing it without an emulator's speed up option is a terrifying thought, despite it being my fav game.

Yeah, SNES games are only on the N3DS' virtual console.

This is great news! If they release FE4 outside of Japan that would be great too because it will become more accessible for people to play.

The chances of them localizing it or releasing it in untranslated Japanese is slim at best.

The chances of them localizing it or releasing it in untranslated Japanese is slim at best.

I can't think of any instance of a virtual console release where an english version or fully translated prototype (as in the case of earthbound begnings) did not already exist. I could see them releasing a PAL only game in the US because that's pretty easy to fix, though.

I can't think of any instance of a virtual console release where an english version or fully translated prototype (as in the case of earthbound begnings) did not already exist. I could see them releasing a PAL only game in the US because that's pretty easy to fix, though.

I suppose Sin & Punishment would technically be such a game. Of course that example does little but highlight just how unlikely it is that a text-heavy Virtual Console game like FE4 would get a full localisation. S&P always had English voice acting, so all the localisation did was to translate the menus. They didn't even bother to translate the Japanese subtitles except for the tutorial and a single scene in the Epilogue because those two sequences didn't feature any voice acting at all.

Edited by BrightBow

I suppose Sin & Punishment would technically be such a game. Of course that example does little but highlight just how unlikely it is that a text-heavy Virtual Console game like FE4 would get a full localisation. S&P always had English voice acting, so all the localisation did was to translate the menus. They didn't even bother to translate the Japanese subtitles except for the tutorial and a single scene in the Epilogue because those two sequences didn't feature any voice acting at all.

Sin&Punishment and Earthbound beginings are the two exeptions that prove the rule in this case.

I wish the project naga patch worked with virtual console injection...

Sorry that Nintendo doesn't design their VC emulators to take into account homebrew applications. :P

Yeah, I know the feeling, but who knows. Maybe folks will reverse engineer it. I can dream.