Sonic Adventure 2's "City Escape" to Replace National Anthem

HK Motendra

I'm not sure whether to have put this in general gaming, general, or even serious discussion, given whats in store but here goes!

http://www.dailydot.com/unclick/national-anthem-sonic-adventure-song-petition/

In light of recent news regarding NFL quarterback Colin Kapernick's refusal to stand during the national anthem in protest of ongoing oppression against African Americans, a petition was made to have the national anthem replaced by the iconic theme tune City Escape, as heard from the beloved game Sonic Adventure 2. The petition was started by Gabe Carey, and his words are as follows:

NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick has been under fire recently for refusing to stand during the performance of our country's national anthem "The Star-Spangled Banner." Because of the injustices occurring in the United States of America, the 49ers player disagrees with the message being conveyed by Francis Scott Key's lyrics.

The obvious solution would be to rid our nation of the injustices Kaepernick is protesting. However, that would take a lot of hard work and determination that we've clearly been incapable of to this point. So, instead, I suggest to President Barrack Obama that we change the national anthem to Ted Poley and Tony Harnell's more upbeat and less controversial "Escape from the City" as featured in the smash-hit video game Sonic Adventure 2.
Tell us, America, would you rather be reminded of the constant violence and threats faced by the soldiers of 1812 to get to this still-divided point in U.S. history or be set free by the rush of danger lurking around every turn as you follow your rainbow at the speed of sound?
It's your call, America. Follow me, set me free in my pursuit of changing the national anthem to this beloved classic tune.

Honestly, I died when it popped up on my Facebook newsfeed, that such a thing was even conceivable, let alone trending. I mean, I love the song as well and it seems like quite the joke, but the petition currently has over 9000 supporters (no meme intended). The possibility that it could actually happen, or even be considered sounds almost unreal; like a dream come true. While I personally don't think it will, if it ever DID, that'd honestly be the most hilarious news I've heard in a while.

What say you, SF? How does this make you feel?

For those who are't aware, this is the song in question:

Edited by Motendra

Out of so many cool songs... even out of so many videogame songs... even out of so many Sonic songs...

They had to follow their rainbow.

God dammit.

Edited by 20XX

Yeah, I call BS on this. Whoever said the Star-Spangled Banner was meant to remind/encourage violence and suffering of those soldiers is a big idiot. It's supposed to remind us that America is strong enough to beat anything that comes it's way with how the flag was still flying there after the battle and how this country is supposed to be the land of the free and home of the brave. What the hell does Sonic have to do with any of this? Nothing.

Nobody is condoning any injustices towards blacks or anybody. Except maybe more idiots, but there are plenty of people who don't condone it.

Edited by Anacybele

Ana, have you ever read "a Modest Proposal" in school?

What does that essay by Jonathan Swift have to do with anything? And Yes, I've read it, and Yes, I am completely aware that you did not mean to get a reply out of anyone else besides whom you were addressing, Anacybele. Sorry If I pose harm to anyone, as that is not my intent. I simply desire an answer to a question brought about by the above post. (I'm not in any hurry either.)

The recognition of satire is my point.

This paragraph:

The obvious solution would be to rid our nation of the injustices Kaepernick is protesting. However, that would take a lot of hard work and determination that we've clearly been incapable of to this point. So, instead

Reeks entirely of actually thinking about the issue, just as that author of that famous essay has, and proposing a ridiculously absurd solution in order to bring to light the underlying causes.

Ana's tone seems to be an entirely emotional response without recognizing the underlying motivation.

While this is the Internet and many ridiculous propositions are normal, the wording of this seems to suggest it's not the work of an idiot that thinks it's a good idea.

Edited by shadowofchaos