Favourite Unplayable FE Characters?

NJ7009

Were there any characters through the games that you wished could have joined your team but didn't? They can be as relevant or irrelevant as you wish. As long as they are unplayable, they are fair game for the choosing.

For me, I was really interested in Mustafa and Philia until they were killed off. Phila in particular looked like she would have been a great counterpart for Frederick.

I liked Guinevere from FE6 and Greil from FE9. It would have been cool to use them for at least a map or something. Oh well.

To be totally honest, Zola. I was pretty disappointed when I found out he didn't join you during Conquest. I just thought he had the potential to be a really fun character if he wasn't trying to murder you.

Second place goes to Phila. She was cool, and I fully expected her to be one of the Spotpass characters when I found out most of them were characters who died during the story. But then Priam jumps in instead. Oop.

Guinevere is the only one I wish was a unit I could field in the main game but...

Fargus, Lloyd, Linus, and Greil would be cool for an optional map.

Edit: Also in a kind of related note I wish Julia in FE 4 was avaible for all of 2nd Gen and not randomly taken away...

Edited by Locke087

There's a lot of hints about tension between Julius and Ishtar over, well... a lot of things. It'd be cool if recruiting Ishtar was possible(and not just because of Mjolnir/Thorhammer, but it helps =P)

I assume we are not counting post-game characters like the ones in FE8's Creature Campaign and FE9's trial maps?

I would have to say Greil, definitely. It would have been awesome to have him as a playable unit, even if it was only for a couple chapters early in the game. (FE9)

Fargus and Dheginsea would have been cool too. (FE7/10)

Oh, and can't forget Amy. We all know she was there for a reason. (FE10)

- Camus: I was pretty disappointed when I couldn't recruit him in FE11 because story and he also wields the gradivus and has sky high stats compared to the enemies AND is called the mightiest warrior alive. In my first FE11 run, I also didn't notice how good Wing Spear is, so I always slowly chipped down General bosses early on with Wendell using Thunder. In chapter 20, I thought Lorenz would be safe because he's a general and guess what? Camus ORKOed him on Normal mod, which strengthened the impression I had of Camus aswell.

- Kotaro and Coca Zola: Conquest chapter 17 should've been defending the cave from Hoshidan ninjas alongside Kotaro, not calling him out on capturing a Hoshidan spy lol. Saizo would chip in from behind after the battle (without participating in it) and free Kagero. Kotaro would get recruited after the map.

Zola's chapter (same map as in the original) should've been Xander insisting on taking the Hoshidans hostage vs Zola wanting to kill them instead to get a promotion from Garon. After the chapter, the Hoshidans do get taken hostage, but while Xander sets Izana free, Saizo and Kagero come with a group of Ninjas, kill the Nohrian soldiers guarding the hostages and help the Hoshidans escape. After noticing their failure, Corrin, Xander and Leo would talk Zola into supporting their invasion. The rest of the game would play out as in the original.

Recruiting Zola in Birthright would've been cool too, the story could create suspicion of him by having the Nohrian army appear in the opera, but wouldn't show Zola telling Garon anything about Corrin. Cue Kill Zola y/n choice after chapter 12, akin to Conquest!Shura. Get a Nosferatu if you kill him, as a troll move because no one can use that in Birthright. Otherwise, get Zola permanently with a Thunder tome in his inventory. Sparing him would be framed as a risky and questionable choice, while Corrin would regretfully see killing him as necessary if you choose yes (-> some focus on the whole grey morality aspect of fighting Nohr) while being supported in that idea by Hinoka. Kotaro and Zola would still both get killed in the 3rd path.

- Garon, Iago and Hans: I wish the devs had added a gaiden chapter after Conquest 24 where you'd control their army. It would play at the same time (story-wise) as the battle against Hinoka's army. Iago could have said something like "We should be catching up to Corrin's army" there as foreshadowing for Corrin's failure to save Ryoma in chapter 25. Hans, Garon and Iago could also have been there as NPCs in chapter 25 - Garon would just stand around in front of the duel room and only counterattack the enemies, Hans would aggro immediately and Iago would attack when there are enemies in range. This would've made the map a lot more fun to play, come to think of it.

Edited by Gradivus.

- Kotaro and Coca Zola: Conquest chapter 17 should've been defending the cave from Hoshidan ninjas alongside Kotaro, not calling him out on capturing a Hoshidan spy lol. Saizo would chip in from behind after the battle (without participating in it) and free Kagero. Kotaro would get recruited after the map.

Zola's chapter (same map as in the original) should've been Xander insisting on taking the Hoshidans hostage vs Zola wanting to kill them instead to get a promotion from Garon. After the chapter, the Hoshidans do get taken hostage, but while Xander sets Izana free, Saizo and Kagero come with a group of Ninjas, kill the Nohrian soldiers guarding the hostages and help the Hoshidans escape. After noticing their failure, Corrin, Xander and Leo would talk Zola into supporting their invasion. The rest of the game would play out as in the original.

Recruiting Zola in Birthright would've been cool too, the story could create suspicion of him by having the Nohrian army appear in the opera, but wouldn't show Zola telling Garon anything about Corrin. Cue Kill Zola y/n choice after chapter 12, akin to Conquest!Shura. Get a Nosferatu if you kill him, as a troll move because no one can use that in Birthright. Otherwise, get Zola permanently with a Thunder tome in his inventory. Sparing him would be framed as a risky and questionable choice, while Corrin would regretfully see killing him as necessary if you choose yes (-> some focus on the whole grey morality aspect of fighting Nohr) while being supported in that idea by Hinoka. Kotaro and Zola would still both get killed in the 3rd path.

- Garon, Iago and Hans: I wish the devs had added a gaiden chapter after Conquest 24 where you'd control their army. It would play at the same time (story-wise) as the battle against Hinoka's army. Iago could have said something like "We should be catching up to Corrin's army" there as foreshadowing for Corrin's failure to save Ryoma in chapter 25. Hans, Garon and Iago could also have been there as NPCs in chapter 25 - Garon would just stand around in front of the duel room and only counterattack the enemies, Hans would aggro immediately and Iago would attack when there are enemies in range. This would've made the map a lot more fun to play, come to think of it.

All of this

Sakura in Conquest, because Conscription of War prisoners for the win, fr fr tho, Sakura is the only Hoshidan sibling I like more than a "eh, their okay" kinda of way.

Tiki in PXZ2

The FE7 lords in FE6

Jarod and Levail from Radiant Dawn. Jarod because he is a corrupt halberdier character. Levail because he is a red halberdier character.

Also, because they are halberdiers.

Kotaro and Zola because I like them both.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

I'm shocked nobody said FE7 Leila yet. Something like FE10's Pelleas, where you can actually save her in a second playthrough would've been really cool. She'd still need to die the first time around for impact though.

Same for FE10's Levail, with getting some additional conversations about how BK wasn't that bad a man.

I'm shocked nobody said FE7 Leila yet.

Well, your getting someone here.

Fargus and Leila from FE7.

Mustafa and Phila from FE13.

Zoura/Zola from FE14.

And I guess that's it, since I haven't finished PoR, and haven't played FE4 and 10.

How the hell did I forget Leila and Fargus. Welp, I at least have fanhacks for those two.

While I prefer Mustafa remain unplayable as he's one of the few Camuses I actually sympathise with, he is one of my favorite non playables in the series

Also, would want Guinevere to be playable in FE6, but again I have a fan remake of FE6 that's gonna release soon that actually gives me that, so I am pleased.

I still believe Arvis should've been the lord of FE4, he's literally one of two characters I actually like in that game.

I was very disappointed that Zola wasn't playable in Fates. Also that random dancer that shows up once in Birthright and has no relevance to anything ever. And not sure if this counts but Candace and Nichol should have been actual playable characters rather than just captureable bosses. They have their own voice clips and crit cut-ins.

Also would've been cool to have Glen join normally FE8.

Everything else I can think of has already been mentioned.

There are a lot of non-playable characters I like (the Black Fang, Leila, Lyon, etc) but I think the tragedy of their characters would be lost if they were recruitable, so no.

For others,

FE7: Fargus and maybe Uther for a chapter.

FE9: Sigrun

FE10: Levail

FE14: Kotaro instead of Kaze (Conquest) and Zola (Birthright).

Lelia in 7 stands out to me, probably in part because Matthew is my favorite FE character of all time still, and her effect on him in his supports is clearly shown.

Really good stuff, to the point I kinda wanted to make a prequel hack that starred her haha.