FE ninja lore vs real life ninja lore

Dragoncat

Sharing this article I wrote, considered putting it in creative but...I'd like some discussion on other people's headcanons too, which doesn't usually happen in creative.

http://www.gameskinny.com/taleh/fire-emblem-ninja-lore-vs-real-life-ninja-lore

Tell me what you think and discuss!

Asugi's supports with Hisame offer more insight into Fates's ninja lore. How does this compare to actual ninja?

Asugi: Yes, I've been studying up on the finer points of tactics and strategy. And no, I have no intention of attending more of those brunches. Tasty as those cream-filled éclairs may be.

Hisame: But why? You could get far more out of these studies if you came.

Asugi: Just a rule of thumb.

Hisame: What kind of rule, exactly?

Asugi: Ninja work best alone or in small groups. There's a reason for that. The more conspicuous they are, the less suited they'll be to their assignments. Assassination, intelligence gathering...that stuff requires anonymity, stealth. Can't go flashing our mugs around everywhere, you know?

Hisame: I see your point. However, you are not exactly an unknown element of the army.

Asugi: Sure. Those who serve the royals directly rarely escape notice entirely. But there's something else to consider. A ninja walks with death. The earliest part of our training conditions us to accept this fact. And as such, we take pains to ensure that when it comes...nothing is disturbed.

Hisame: What? And how is this related to our meetings?

Asugi: One of the precautions we take is to avoid forming too many personal bonds. Meeting with so many people every week will, obviously, make that difficult. Don't be upset. It's a part of our code. Has been for generations.

Edited by Lightchao42

Good read. It was especially interesting to learn that some of what makes it into ninja fiction is loosely based on real ninja history.

It's pretty easy to see how the hand signs and incantations are interpreted the way they are in fiction. Just take what the magic that they were pretending to do in real life and make it actually work in the fiction.

The real-life earth ninjutsu doesn't seem too far off from the earth ninjutsu in Naruto.

It was a pretty good read.

At any rate, apparently the ninja from Igasato are trained in domestic duties, such as farming and cooking (well, potato peeling), according to Saizou and Kaze's supports with Mozu. Kagero is into art and tea ceremony (perhaps), pointing to how kunoichi had to be talented in activities that allowed them to pose as cultured women as to get close to nobility. Granted, I could be stretching somewhat with that one.

...And, that's all I have.

I do like how you addressed that ninjas aren't dressed like stereotypical ninjas. That's my favorite part. I now kinda wish Mozu was a ninja now though.

Why Mozu, may I ask?

Asugi's supports with Hisame offer more insight into Fates's ninja lore. How does this compare to actual ninja?

That's where I got most of my guesses on the culture. It says right there that they try not to get close to allies.

At any rate, apparently the ninja from Igasato are trained in domestic duties, such as farming and cooking (well, potato peeling), according to Saizou and Kaze's supports with Mozu. Kagero is into art and tea ceremony (perhaps), pointing to how kunoichi had to be talented in activities that allowed them to pose as cultured women as to get close to nobility. Granted, I could be stretching somewhat with that one.

...And, that's all I have.

Well it's not too far of a stretch.

Why Mozu, may I ask?

I think It's probably because of the part where you say that ninjas would disguises themselves as farmers.

And, well, Mozu is a farmer, so...yeah.

But, anyway, It was a very interesting reading and I must say that I learned a lot of things about ninjas(the fact that real life ninjas didn't probably wear the black suit surprised me)

Edited by The Wyvern Rider

Kagero is into art and tea ceremony (perhaps), pointing to how kunoichi had to be talented in activities that allowed them to pose as cultured women as to get close to nobility. Granted, I could be stretching somewhat with that one.

Historically speaking, this was a common tactic. To pose as an attractive, desirable, and available woman to lords in order to get closer to their targets.

I think It's probably because of the part where you say that ninjas would disguises themselves as farmers.

And, well, Mozu is a farmer, so...yeah.

OH! I see now! Yeah that would be cool, but it's said (or heavily implied) that Mozu is just a common villager. I mean she had a mom in the village. Somebody posing as a farmer would probably not have family in that same village.

Historically speaking, this was a common tactic. To pose as an attractive, desirable, and available woman to lords in order to get closer to their targets.

Exactly, hence why I included it in the article.

Edited by Dragoncat