The Golden Age. Act 1: Discoveries.

riariadne

"Dammit Telmara! If the enemy really does have a gift, we need all the advantages we can get. That means we need to at least try to work with people if some of their group is willing to do so. I get you have your issues with me, but everyone agreed to have me as the leader which means I have the last word. So I don't care how much you dislike the woman from earlier, we're going to do our best to work with her." Kaya didn't care if she was solidifying the woman's hatred of her, this wasn't something she was going to budge on.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"And if they keep away from me and attack everyone else, by all means! But if someone takes a swing, or fancies themselves a nice new pair of leather boots, I AM NOT. HOLDING. BACK!" Telmara hissed so hard she ended up biting her tongue, growling and turning herself away from Kaya. She was foolish, naive; too young for this. It didn't matter what Telmara thought of her, this decision to be so gracious to Isaac's party was not one she was going to agree with, no matter the circumstances. I'll just leave after this. They can take whatever gift is in these woods and go off on their own, and then Kaya's innocence will get them killed... Maybe I can convince Raz to come with me, and save her from such a foolish woman.

"Oh, lighten up Telmara." Ulysses responded, "They don't know we're trying to help them. The two of us look like monsters from a nightmare, and the rest us aren't easily distinguished from bandits. I can understand accidents but...at least try would you?" He hadn't had much hope for a positive response, but he'd grown tired of holding his tongue. Thankfully Kaya seemed to have his back on this one.

Turning to address Isaac he said, "The boss said to save your crew, so I'll do my best. They're probably going to be pretty battered though, I'm the most promising axe of The Graystone Tribe after all!" He shot the man a confident grin, probably creepier than it was comforting, but the sentiment was there.

Ulysses to Y15, Iron Axe equipped

Kolmar let his inner voice rattle off a string of curses. He ran up to where the others were, and let out a big breath. "If I wanted to hear a couple of kids squabble, I would've stayed home! There's people who definitely want to kill us, so aim your fucking anger that way, Telmara! Let Isaac deal with his own group. Honestly, you and that Juniper gal should talk over tea or something. You two have way too much in common." He gave Isaac a sheepish glance. "Looks like we both got our lady problems, eh?"

Kolmar to W18, Javelin in hand

"I'm finished talking to all of you! No one's listened to a thing I've said. Stick your head back up your ass, Kolmar, and leave it there!" So it wasn't just Kaya that was stupid, wonderful. No matter. Finish this and leave, finish this and leave...

Aria deals 14 to the archer with Mind Shock (48, 13) [10 exp, 1 wexp], while Joviana's (14, 55), while Joviana's 9 from Arcane Blast is enough for a finish [30 exp, 2 wexp]. The archer regrets his terrible flank, as well as not investing in resistance, and dies.

Kaya readies her Dragon's Rage. Three other people move and try equipping their weapons that they already have equipped (?).

So Telmara's hunch turned out to be the correct one after all, though Velvet's decision to stray from the group made anything but sense, making for a confused Raz. Nonetheless, they had to follow through with getting the gift.

They ended up in a clearing... though this section of the forest still seemed rather maze-like. I can't see through some of these... but I'm pretty sure the sound leads that way, how disorienting. Bow drawn in hand, Raz looked the first man that showed up in their sight warily. The same guy from back there... how did he get separated from his group. Her eyes widened in surprise as he called out the archer behind them, but two of their own had moved out to stop him by the time Raz thought to react. That saved her time.

Unfortunately, people took offense to Telmara's aggressive remarks, again, and this time it escalated towards other members of the group. W-What is going on... how can these people be so bad at calming each other down? She was hesitant to move, expecting the scene to devolve in an internal break up --the last thing they needed at that moment, but it somehow fizzled out. Hmm... she can't be feeling good about that...

"Uh, Kaya, I think we should focus on the bandits over anything else." Raz made her comment, moving forward. "It's likely that this leader has the Gift. If we can get to him first, that'd save a lot of trouble." He sounded like a slippery one, so it was probably easier said than done...

"Isaac," Raz called, not looking the man in the eye, rather concerned with her surroundings. "You've been fighting the bandits for a while, right? Have you figured out something about this part of the forest?"

Raz to X16.

Kaya sighed quietly as Raz tried to play mediator. Of course we focus on the bandits first. That's what I was trying to say. They have the Gift, they're going to be the biggest problem. We can't let ourselves waste time fighting with what could be a friendly group... Ugh. "Yes, Raz, exactly. The Gift is our priority and if our attention is split, then we risk letting it slip through our fingers. So we shouldn't waste our time fighting people that we don't need to be fighting." Did she mean to basically make my point for me or was it an accident? Either way, now I have her backing me, even if she didn't realize that's what she was doing.

"Ah..." Honestly, we should just let the other group fend for themselves... it's faster that way. Hopefully Kaya's heart wouldn't bleed if they managed to avoid Isaac's group altogether. Now where could that leader be...

What a mess this had become, they had run into not only the group from before, but another group of brigands within this accursed forest. Tempers were flaring between Kaya and Telmara again, helping nothing. Hopefully she could try to calm things down a little...

"Just focus on the enemy for now, Telmara! If anyone attacks you, take them out of the fight! No need to waste time doing more than that with swords at our throats. Try to avoid Issac's men entirely if you can... Kaya, can I trust you to try and get the others on side? If you can, Telmara and I can push forward into these brigands, along with anyone who would join us." Mikhaila asked as she moved forward, hoping that focusing Telmara's efforts towards the bandits would help quell things. Stopping just short of Telmara, she gave the demi-human a light tap on the shoulder.

"I've got your back, we'll get through this."

Mikhaila to Z17

Edited by Ether

Why was anyone being nice to her, right now? You're just going to get the group upset at you, Mikhaila. I don't know why you're doing this... Even you, Raz. Maybe Kaya didn't catch it, but that wasn't you agreeing with her, was it? Why? I'm not worth this. I'm the one who should leave, so you can all get along... I'm the misfit.

"I'm... I'm not, ch-changing what I said," referring to attacking people that came after her. "S-So... If, they stay away from me, then I won't, attack any of them. That's all... That's all any of you are getting!" That was as safe as she felt conceding the point. So as long as the rest of the group wanted to deal with Isaac's men, she'd not go out of her way to strike any of them down.

She flinched, again, as Mikhaila patted her shoulder, giving her a confused glare. "Why?" she asked, not understanding, even thinking about it more.

Aaron glanced at Telmara in disbelief. What the hell is wrong with you? It took great restraint for him to not curse his blasted destiny for being landed with this crazy snake bitch. A king must be patient... He had no words to add to the conversation, only a deep sigh as he reluctantly trudged forwards. The sooner this is all over with, the better.

Aaron to V15

Time for enemy phase!

"What? More intruders?!" A thief holding a stone tablet in hand with an abundance of displayed riches, including several necklaces and a hoop earring, reached for a knife frantically. "How did they all find here so fast at the same time? This may prove tricky." He pondered for a moment, moving the tablet under his arm and scratching his chin. "Well, even if they made it this far, the maze is even trickier than the rest of the forest. And without the knowledge of this tablet, the Crusader's Calling, they'll never be able to catch up to me! The riches of the forest won't be taken from us so easily. But we still have to be cautious. You two, scout out to the paths they'd have to take. And you two stay with me."

[spoiler=lots of moves that are all very evident on the map and include no combat]Shaman A: N3

Thief A: Q3

Thief B: H15

Thief C: AB22

Myrmidon A: AB9

Myrmidon B: Q10

Solider A: AC11

Bandit A: B20

Bandit B: B4

There's no combat, but Thief B pilfers a Magic Vial!

After that it's time for other phase.

[spoiler=another group of moves]Isaac: AB15

Juniper: D20, attacking Bandit A

Merc A: C21

Knight C: E20

Knight A: AA22, attack Thief C

Fighter B: Hold, use hand axe

Group right above the party: All up 2

This time there's some combat!

Juniper attacked the luckiest Brigand, but he's not quite lucky enough to avoid being crit (82, 52) for 27! He's donezo.

Knight A smacks Thief C (3, 41) for 14, who returns the favor (25, 17) (40, 57) for 4 twice. Thief C seems to be an unlucker dog (26, 59) because he takes 14 more from Fighter B.

It is turn 2. Player phase begins.

kf0BEuk.png

--

Spreadsheet

Ab-16

Kaya moved past Telmara, refusing to look over at her or say anything. She had made her position clear and the demihuman was still refusing to listen. So Kaya saw no reason to waste her breath anymore.

Atleast Telmara seemed to acquiesce for the moment, the bite of her earlier words fading in her newest reply. Of course, with it came a bit of apparent confusion, as the mage questioned Mikhaila's actions.

"Because you're temperamental and for whatever reason, you and Kaya butt heads over everything." Mikhaila began, stopping for a moment.

"But despite that, you're not a bad person. You've just had it ingrained in you to be defensive and not to trust without reason... which I can't disagree with. You're not wrong to be wary of them, considering what happened earlier. Besides, can't call myself a very good friend if I don't have your back, can I?" Mikhaila concluded, giving Telmara a light smile.

"We'll get through this. Together, and in one piece. You've just gotta let us help you. Don't try to go in alone."

"As long as... Y-You're aware, what siding with me, means... It's not Kaya's fault, anyway. She's... Naive. Too trusting... She trusted us, t-too easily, and now these people. It's... It's going to get her hurt. And I don't want to see that, but... She doesn't want to listen." Telmara sighed, tome out, eyes on the fight. There were some bandits past Isaac, who had remained quiet during the commotion. Make me more suspicious of you, why don't you?

"I'm not sure you'd want to call yourself my, f-friend, but... I didn't forget our talk, from before. I'll try not to go it alone. To let you... H-Help." For now, a nearby spearman had stuck his neck out too far. Time to take advantage of that.

Ac13, Attack Soldier A with Gust

Ignore her. Ignore her ignore her ignore her. That had to be deliberate though. She knew you were right there and still she said it. Ugh. Why does she hate me so much? Even if she's right, I'm not that naive, and I'm making the decisions that I think will be best for the group. It's not like anyone else has any serious objections to what I'm saying. What's her problem then? Sure she says she doesn't want to see me hurt but ugh. I can't... Just... Kaya's knuckles were turning white as she gripped the dagger at her side, turning away from where the woman who had just insulted her was moving forward to attack an enemy soldier. At least she wasn't attacking one of Isaac's men. Yet. She took a deep breath, followed by another. She needed to get her emotions under control. She wasn't an emotional teenager. She could handle a little insult. She was doing the right thing. The right thing. Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in... You're ok. This will work out and you'll be proven right. Breathe in, breathe out.

"..." I can't do anything about this, right now. The tension was horrible. How were they going to keep searching for the Gifts if every battle either had or was followed by arguments. Raz had her best poker face at that point, but it disturbed her personally. Ahh... pointless pointless pointless. Need to do something, later. After there are no threats. She closed her eyes, for a moment, filtering her thoughts. Eyes on the danger first. Don't forget it.

Raz moves to Ac-16

Kolmar resisted the urge to smack Ulysses upside the head. Geez, kid, treat this like a hunt. They're your prey, you don't announce yourself to them. Though I guess it might help the intimidation a little.

Telmara was already enough of a headache, but now the fucking shark thing was yelling for no reason. Wonderful. "I see you traded those teeth for a working brain." Aaron commented, only realising afterwards that he hadn't kept it in his head. But he couldn't find it in himself to care, even if the beast overheard him. He trudged after Kaya, hoping that this whole ordeal was worth it.

Aaron to AA15, regret life choices.

Edited by SB.

"Siding with you means watching my friend's back, nothing more. A few squabbles aren't enough to tear us apart, so long as we're willing to try and stay together. You can't make her change, but you can keep an eye on her and make sure that you're there to stop her from getting hurt if she slips up." Mikhaila replied, continuing to charge along with Telmara, sadly just out of range of following up on her attack.

Mikhaila to Ab14