PSA for Fates' fans

Dr. Tarrasque

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The so-called "old guard" elitists/veterans got really nasty toward the new fans who got in through Awakening throughout a chunk of its relevancy and while it was not as bad with Fates these kind of topics wouldn't be made for the most part if it wasn't a problem.

I actually questioned whether or not I should join Serenes last year because a lot of what I had seen of the fanbase after I got into the series through Awakening was people complaining about every single aspect the game and acting really horribly towards new fans in probably the most elitist way I've ever seen in terms of gaming barring the Shin Megami Tensei fanbase. Like, we're talking about veterans who thought those who liked Awakening had brain damage or something along those lines. I realize there's a vocal minority in every fanbase, but this one was particularly vicious, I remember thinking.

Fortunately, people here are pretty swell, and I've learned more through the series both through fans on this site and on my own. I like you guys, even if I can be a bit of a negative nancy on occasion. Sometimes...every once in a while.

I actually questioned whether or not I should join Serenes last year because a lot of what I had seen of the fanbase after I got into the series through Awakening was people complaining about every single aspect the game and acting really horribly towards new fans in probably the most elitist way I've ever seen in terms of gaming barring the Shin Megami Tensei fanbase. Like, we're talking about veterans who thought those who liked Awakening had brain damage or something along those lines. I realize there's a vocal minority in every fanbase, but this one was particularly vicious, I remember thinking.

Fortunately, people here are pretty swell, and I've learned more through the series both through fans on this site and on my own. I like you guys, even if I can be a bit of a negative nancy on occasion. Sometimes...every once in a while.

I question getting active in any online community all the time; it's the internet. People are less likely to be nasty in real life due to the lack of two things: anonymity and immediate consequences for one's actions. This one is one of the few online communities I actually enjoy being around (even if I'm not very active myself). Before the year of about 2014 or so I never even thought of doing anything online (Christian-raised person I was), and within less than a year I already decided that I didn't want to stick around the Sonic fanbase and Smash fanbase (particularly the "competitive" community); for the latter fanbase I've stopped interacting with the overall community after the official canning of Project M and with the last Smash direct which was when the fanbase was at its worst (to me at least). Until Fates was announced I actually wasn't aware of how some veteran players were like towards the newer generation of fans, but things turned out better with this game than with the last one and here I am.

​ Taking this thread's message to heart, I'm gradually not letting negative opinions of my favorite things impact me (I pretty much have to grow an immunity since most of my favorite games, shows, and the like tend to be overall disliked by the majority and vice-versa).

Edited by Blue Sun

If only everyone acted like this. It'd solve a lot of everyone's problems.

BTW, regarding that last statement "anyone saying they like the game or its characters awakens an insatiable rage", did anyone get P.M.ed by the poster who said that at all?

If this happens, please let the mods know. IMMEDIATELY.

If this happens, please let the mods know. IMMEDIATELY.

I'll try to remember that in the future; I actually thought about doing that when they P.M.ed me but I figured that the most I'd get was no response or something along the lines of "seriously dude?" since it wasn't necessarily harassment to me, though I don't know why they had to PM me in the first place if it wasn't. At worst, I told them to get their act together with two to three expletives sent their way as parting words (I rarely cuss someone out but they had it coming). At least they won't be pestering people who told them they were an ass now that they've been banned, unless they make another account using another e-mail or some crap like that :-_-:. Sadly we can't stop people from making more e-mails and making more accounts just to do the same crap they were banned for; those kind of people rarely if ever change :facepalm:.

I give this game a lot of crap myself, but I still enjoyed it. Do I regret buying all 3 paths? Maybe just a little bit.

That being said, most of the complaining I do about Fates is less about the actual quality of the game as it is about lamenting that it wasn't everything a lot of what it could have been.

Though I am critical of FE14's plot and certain characters, I overall enjoy it very much. And as someone who has been a part of niche fandoms of games that the majority of people seem to hate, I think that the best advice is indeed to try to buck up and learn to deal with it. In fact, I think acknowledging the problems your favorite games have - if indeed you could see them as problems, as sometimes a flaw to one person could be a perfection to someone else - can help you foster a deeper appreciation for them. And if nothing else, remember that individual opinions don't mean much in the grand scheme (even if most of what one says is objectively correct), and that if you enjoyed it, there's an extremely slim chance that you were the only one who did, as a few million people around the world have played it.

Certain critics do need to learn to respect others, though. Slinging mud at others is seldom acceptable. Though they will never do such a thing, and quite honestly, no one has the patience for such pathetic people, so they'll keep getting cut out of discussions, one way or another.

I actually questioned whether or not I should join Serenes last year because a lot of what I had seen of the fanbase after I got into the series through Awakening was people complaining about every single aspect the game and acting really horribly towards new fans in probably the most elitist way I've ever seen in terms of gaming barring the Shin Megami Tensei fanbase.

I joined in 2015, so I never got to witness the vitriolic elitism many talk about here. And I wasn't terribly active until a little bit after I beat the first path I played in Fates, so I didn't get to really experience things like the Rena Strober hate-fest or what-have-you. So basically, my experience here is probably the most positive it could've been, and it's the friendliest community I've come upon on the internet. Then again, most of the rest of my time on the internet is spent on Facebook and YouTube, and I, at one point, was fairly active in GameFAQs and GTAForums when GTA V was coming out, so it was always just plain terrible for me.

Though then again, I don't think that the story of Fates is the Shakespeare of the gaming world, so I'm not bothered by the criticisms people throw out there. But even so, the first time I've seen someone insult others for having another opinion on this site was in this thread (and I suppose technically at some other point before), and it was just a chum who made a few posts. However, I'm not the most active member, either, so there's a lot I don't see.

I'm the other side of the spectrum tbh, I started with Awakening, but like you, I adore the entire franchise.

Same here.

Though I've progressed through the series differently. I've played the DS remakes all the way through (first Mystery, then SD, for whatever reason), played a bit of PoR, and got through a bit of all the GBA games. My mood for games constantly changes, so I tend to play many games at once.

Also, I'm in a similar position to you as far as the Judgral games are concerned, but not necessarily because I think they'll be a challenge. It's more because I know they'll require me to invest considerably more time into an individual map. I can do that with Fates because I can easily just close the 3DS and come back to it later (perhaps while watching a video), but with the Judgral games, things are finicky for me and I can't just take it with me wherever I go. I guess it just goes to show how liberating a portable or handheld gaming device is for your gaming needs.

I'll play them someday. Just need to set aside some time.