Path of Radiance - 0% Growth Mode

PinaCollateral

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 0% Growth Mode

Last year I was on a 0% growth patch kick and found out there was no 0% growth patch available for FE9. So I decided to make one and put my own spin on it.

What is this?
A patch that sets every character's growth rate in every stat to 0. Additionally, band items and the Knight Ward no longer increase stat growth rates when equipped. However, class promotions will still cause stat increases, and stat-up items like Speedwings still work.
Also I changed a bit of the dialogue in the prologue and last chapter to make the whole 0% growth thing connect with the story somewhat.

Why would anyone play this?
From my experience, playing with a 0% growth patch feels like you're playing the way the game was intended to be played, and it causes you to mix up your go to Fire Emblem strategy. You no longer need to worry about things like getting poor level ups, feeling like you've wasted experience when anyone not on your final team takes part in combat, and needing to kill everything on the screen before finishing a chapter. Also, the game gets progressively more difficult from chapter to chapter, instead of leveling off or even getting easier towards the end when your team becomes more refined. If you've never played a 0% growth patch you should definitely try one, and this is a great place to start because it's my favorite one so far.

Oh, and because there are a couple easter eggs I hid in this patch and they would be fun to find!

Is it possible to beat?
Yes I beat this patch on normal before releasing it. I'm not sure if beating the game on hard is possible though, simply because of how strong Berserk Asharnd is. I would be thoroughly impressed by anyone who could pull it off.

Ok I'm intrigued how do I play it?
Download the patch (v1.1)

If you have the option to choose a level-up method when starting the game:
Select Random level-ups NOT Fixed.

In-depth Instructions:

You will need the following:
  • A Wii with the Homebrew Channel OR a computer powerful enough to run Dolphin.
  • Path of Radiance NTSC-U region ISO (which you can obtain from your retail disc using the Wii homebrew app Cleanrip)
  • The xdelta patch file from above.
  • The patching progarm xdeltaUI which you can download here

1. Launch xdeltaUI.exe.
2. Open the patch file, open your PoR ISO, then choose a name and location for your new patched ISO. (make sure the new filename ends in ".iso")
3. If you're using Dolphin you're done! If you're using a Wii, put the ISO on your SD or USB in a folder named 'games', then launch it with Nintendont.

If you would like to verify the patch was successful you can download a program like WinMD5 and and compare your ISO MD5 hashes with mine.
Spoiler

PoR ISO:
4098af6d672eeae8749f9da67309c537
Patched ISO:
0513e6bd785776e066e06313d7ee7b03

Special thanks to VincentASM for telling me how growth rates are stored in the Path of Radiance file system.

Please let me know if you find any bugs or oddities!

Changed Dialogue:
Spoiler
  • Prologue
  • Epilogue when Ike goes inside

Easter Egg locations (spoilers obviously):

Spoiler
  • End Credits
  • Guide ->  Leveling Up
  • Epilogue when Ike goes inside (if Black Knight was defeated)

Edited by PinaCollateral

Come to think of it, could you cheat your patch if you used Fixed Mode, since weapons contribute a bit towards growths in it?

I just looked into how exactly Fixed Mode works, and you're right. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll update the OP.

Nice, glad you figured everything out ^^

I'm curious what those easter eggs are as well... Maybe I should sneak in some of my own next time.

Yeah thanks again! It really didn't take me this long to figure it out, I've just been busy and wanted to make sure it could be beaten before releasing it.

For anyone who's curious about the easter eggs: One can be seen through playing the game normally, the other two you have do things you may not do in a typical playthrough. The only chapter files I edited are the prologue and final chapter.

Edited by PinaCollateral

Send the patch to dondon. He'll most likely accept the Hard challenge (that, or hack Maniac in.)

I thought about making version of this patch that's compatible with the Japanese version of the game/shadowofchaos's FE9 Maniac Mode English Patch, but I figured nobody would crazy enough to actually try to beat it.

Edited by PinaCollateral

I made a version for myself a while ago that uses the Japanese ROM so I can do Maniac Mode. Frankly, I don't think it's possible without the max crit Thunder tome shenanigans, and even then might require more RNG going in my favor. Haven't played it in a while though. Only got to Chapter 7.

On the subject of Berserk Ashnard, can't Nasir with Wrath + Resolve and Tibarn do it? You may have to cheese the fight a bit, but it's not impossible.

There is a little but important problem: The Black Knight.

Ena should do it just fine with a good deal of luck (for low-turning that is), we calculated iirc. I recall I gave the 1st Speedwings to Stefan on my run (on hiatus) to assist with some bosskills, and it may have not been necessary. I sure hope Ena doesn't end up needing that one Speedwings!

Can someone help me out? I having trouble getting this to work.

My problem is that the XDeltaUI is telling me "Patching successful" but it isn't spitting out an .Iso file. It just spits out a file that is seemingly unreadable by anything. When I check the properties it literally says "Type of file: File" instead of "Type of file: Iso."

As you can guess, Dolphin can't even see the file to attempt to open it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

At any rate, thanks so much for making this. I like PoR but I think its biggest flaw is the lack of difficulty and a 0% growths run sounds perfect for spicing it up.

Can someone help me out? I having trouble getting this to work.

My problem is that the XDeltaUI is telling me "Patching successful" but it isn't spitting out an .Iso file. It just spits out a file that is seemingly unreadable by anything. When I check the properties it literally says "Type of file: File" instead of "Type of file: Iso."

As you can guess, Dolphin can't even see the file to attempt to open it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

At any rate, thanks so much for making this. I like PoR but I think its biggest flaw is the lack of difficulty and a 0% growths run sounds perfect for spicing it up.

When you write a name for your output ISO file try including ".iso" on the end.

Oh and you're welcome I hope you can get it working and enjoy it!

Edited by PinaCollateral

Hey that worked!

Played the prologue and got a blank level as expected. Really like the easter egg there.

This thread actually made me aware of the Maniac mode in the Japanese version of the game (I had no idea) so now I have to decide which of these I'm going to play first. Funny how you go from having no Fire Emblem to play to suddenly having three (counting Vestaria Saga here).

Thanks again. Oh and I will be doing this on hard mode. Ashnard be damned.

Hey that worked!

Played the prologue and got a blank level as expected. Really like the easter egg there.

This thread actually made me aware of the Maniac mode in the Japanese version of the game (I had no idea) so now I have to decide which of these I'm going to play first. Funny how you go from having no Fire Emblem to play to suddenly having three (counting Vestaria Saga here).

Thanks again. Oh and I will be doing this on hard mode. Ashnard be damned.

Awesome, glad it worked. I'll update the OP

• 5 years later...