Vestaria Saga Part 1 Out Now + Discussion Topic

VincentASM

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Kaga said you could beat the game with 1/3 of your units, I'm pretty sure he was either trolling or it depends on who those units are. Some chapters are basically unbeatable without certain characters.

Every unit gets to be used in the last two missions (chapter 19 for Shirutin's side, chapter 20 for Zeid's side + Rinka and Edaru) so keep that in mind if some of your units aren't getting any use and falling by the wayside.

Edited by bufkus

When Kaga said you could beat the game with 1/3 of your units, I'm pretty sure he was either trolling or it depends on who those units are.

When did he say that?

The only thing I ever remember him saying on the matter is that everyone would be fielded in the final chapter (something you've confirmed), and that people should keep that in mind when distributing exp.

Edited by VmmVaa

When did he say that?

The only thing I ever remember him saying on the matter is that everyone would be fielded in the final chapter (something you've confirmed), and that people should keep that in mind when distributing exp.

It was a while ago and things could've changed. Or maybe I misinterpreted his words way back.

Here's the blog entry

When did he say that?

lol he's said a lot of things. you could try reading his blog, or reading VincentASM's posts.

lol he's said a lot of things. you could try reading his blog, or reading VincentASM's posts.

Oh, I've been following all of VincentASM's posts, thank you. No need to "lol" at me.

I simply interpreted the original information differently, hence why I didn't remember anything about such a statement.

I have a hunch a no-reset playthrough can be accomplished by skilled veterans. You can even complete the game with a third of the characters alive. Please give it a try!

More specifically, I'm rather sure what he's saying is that "skilled veterans" might be able to complete a no-reset playthrough while "only" losing about 2/3 of their army. Which is ultimately pretty different from "you can complete the game using only 1/3 of your units".

Edited by VmmVaa

You don't need permission if the script is just translated and posted elsewhere instead of altering the game's files to include it, so translating is possible in any case.

We already got permission just for translating the script. Well, they said we're pretty much free to do that.

i.e. text scripts not in the game

The rest is a bit trickier. But we'll update you guys about that at a later stage.

I personally don't want to tango with Japanese copyright law. Do you?

Edited by shadowofchaos

Is she not among the Eagle Riders below the castle in the very middle of the city? I'm not really sure about all the event conditions.

Before I forget, some brief notes for Chapter 10.

In this chapter, you control Hoerun and Elva only. Hopefully you trained Hoerun at least a little!

To make things easier, Atol automatically heals Hoerun each turn and Elva if he's next to Hoerun.

The aim of this mission is to unite the various tribes to defeat the current leader of the Neiman Tribe, which Hoerun hails from. I think Hoerun's father was the leader, but he was killed and overthrown.

The first tribe north of the starting position wants you to defeat the Neiman chieftain's son who's causing havoc to the east. Even with just two units, this job isn't particularly hard unless you never used Hoerun.

The tribe to the south is a bit nastier. The chieftain promises to help Hoerun if she promises to marry him afterwards. If you agree, you receive his support and some money, but Elva will apparently leave after the chapter. Refuse and his tribe will become an enemy.

At first, after I refused I thought I screwed myself over, but really the enemies are super easy to defeat and a decent source of exp. You can beat this chapter with or without their help, so refusing is probably the best option, rather than not visiting at all.

The tribe in the centre can be reached with Hoerun's picklock skill. For a bit of fun, you can investigate the scarecrow; Hoerun remarks about how it reminds her of Shirutin : P

To convince this tribe, you need to slay a wyvern that appears out of now. The wyvern hits like a truck, but isn't too hard to dispatch considering its weak to arrows. Succeed and you get Hoerun's personal bow too, which her father left behind.

The final tribe wants you to return a jewel to the grave up the hill. I was a bit confused, but you get the jewel as part of the story, so you don't need to look for it or anything and it's not in your inventory either. The enemies here are of the undead variety and like to cause paralysis, which is annoying.

Once you've gathered enough support, you can order all troops to charge by investigating the signpost towards the east.

The rest of the chapter is a NPC versus enemy slaughterfest, with your units mopping up the remnants before challenging the boss.

All in all, this chapter was a nice change of pace.

No eagle rider is outside the castle, just the ones inside it with the boss who has the 2xAtk throwing spear. Maybe in chapter 9, I have to spare all the tents to get her, not sure about that, please check it, replay from chapter 9 is a pain. Btw, can I recruit or make the 3 female axe users on the north east leave the map without killing them?

If Maya appears in Chapter 11, you should see her in the dialogue in that chapter. She also appears inside the castle walls with the rest of the Eagle Riders. It's easy to miss her.

You don't recruit the three female axe users. They're just there to be a challenge/annoying.

Well then, I really missed her, I did spare a tent with the droppable lance in chapter 9 in hope of recruiting Maya later but it seems it didn't work. And is that girl in the tent Maya? And did you kill Kemal or spare his life?

I think sparing Kemal is a condition largely because in the next chapter, there is a cut-scene where Kemal and Maya appear.

I didn't destroy any of the tents in my playthrough. I figured I wouldn't take any chances and wanted to get Maya even if it meant losing out on some items.

And also, Chapter 10 was really fun and creative! Having to use only two units against a massive horde of enemies really brought about new ways to play a Kaga game.

Edited by bufkus

How are the Guard/Armor Knights as units, are they any good? Worse, or better then usual? I heard somewhere they had only 2 movement, which I hope is a rumor.

No they have the typical movement (4 or 5, can't recall off top of my head).

They are basically defense gimmicks that will be needed in later chapters to do things like form a wall (without killing enemies) or plug up enemy spawning points. So you'll probably want to promote at least one of them and get their defense as high as possible.

No they have the typical movement (4 or 5, can't recall off top of my head).

They are basically defense gimmicks that will be needed in later chapters to do things like form a wall (without killing enemies) or plug up enemy spawning points. So you'll probably want to promote at least one of them and get their defense as high as possible.

So there are choke points, and the armored defense actually matters?

On a similar subject, what are the class movements in the game, or at least the typical infantry move?

Edited by Emperor Hardin

Hehe, I've been too lazy to use mine and I hope that doesn't screw me over later on. They have their uses though since most other units are fragile.

Some more catch up... Notes for Chapter 11. Most of this was already discussed earlier, but I'll just collect everything and clarify some parts.

In this chapter, the Solis army led by Shirutin and Zeid finally move to retake the capital. They do so while the enemy's main battalion has gone to attack the recently allied... Neiman Tribe, I believe. My memory kind of sucks. Thus leaving the capital mostly unguarded.

That said, the capital is protected by a sturdy wall and a bunch of elites and mercenaries are guarding the castle, so it's a tough cookie to crack.

The first plan of attack is to deal with the demon to the far north. This nasty piece of work is providing a +3 defence and resistance boost to all enemies, so you'll want to remove it from the picture. That said, it's not necessary to defeat it, especially since it's annoying to kill.

The demon reduces a unit's HP to 1 upon a successful hit and drains HP, plus it has amazing defence. If you still have the Valkyrie Sword on Meredy, it can take off most of the demon's HP and then you can finish it off with a spellcaster or something.

After the demon's gone, the forest below it will open, allowing you to go past, so that's another reason to defeat it if you can.

Meanwhile, newbie reinforcements spawn from the forts around the city walls. These guys have crap stats, but often have strong weapons, so they're a pain if provoked. They don't move though unless you're very close by.

To get rid of the reinforcements, you can destroy the three food stores (the blue houses) guarded by three sub-bosses each. After destroying a food store, reinforcements will stop flowing from the nearest forts.

The first trio, a bunch of male axe users IIRC, isn't too hard, but watch out of the guy below who has 100% hit and Wrath--not a healthy combo! The female axe trio to the north are a lot tougher. Finally, the trio of bow users on the other side are a joke.

Around Turn 18, a transport wagon protected by half a dozen axe users will spawn north of the north gate. If you can destroy the wagon before it reaches the city, the Sphere mages inside the city will leave since the wagon contained their payment XD

Thankfully, you can easily get to the spawn area by that time, although it helps if you can slay the demon to clear the road. By Turn 15, I think I had everybody waiting to ambush the wagon.

Elsewhere, you can head to the old house in the mountains to the far south-east. There you can pay off the Waguri Assassins, causing them to leave the map. I was feeling plucky, so I declined and fought the Assassins head on.

In addition, if you visit one of the gers to the east and west, you can hand over a Herb and some money respectively. Doing so will cause the civilians to riot, opening the west gate and slaying Hitman, the long archer.

Another thing you can do is visit the ger to the west with some bones next to it. Here, you can pay to poison the water source, which gets rid of the long archers apparently. Doing so will prevent Maya from joining. The long archers are annoying, but you don't need to do this.

Finally, as soon as you step foot inside the city walls, the Eagle Riders will move out. Maya should be among them and so long as you didn't poison the water, you can have Air talk to her to convert her. Note that Maya can occasionally move again, so you may want to save beforehand.

The rest of the chapter's not too bad. The enemies inside are strong, but you can lure them in slowly; I think some of them don't even bother moving.

Anyway, after hearing a fair amount about this chapter, I was pleased to find that it wasn't that hard, but it is definitely one of the more involving chapters thus far. Without knowledge of all the event triggers, I imagine it's an incredibly tough chapter.

Chapter 13 is giving me headaches.

How the heck do I beat the three demons surrounding the old castle within 10 turns of their arrival?

I managed to beat one, but then I ran out of time. Good thing they're dumb and keep attacking Lithia.

So far, only Shirutin, Dune and Accord do any damage on my team. I may have to restart the chapter... again >___<

I guess I can field Meredy and repair the Valkyrie Sword (which is pretty OP by the way). Maybe field Caesar as well.

Chapter 13 is giving me headaches.

How the heck do I beat the three demons surrounding the old castle within 10 turns of their arrival?

I managed to beat one, but then I ran out of time. Good thing they're dumb and keep attacking Lithia.

So far, only Shirutin, Dune and Accord do any damage on my team. I may have to restart the chapter... again >___<

I guess I can field Meredy and repair the Valkyrie Sword (which is pretty OP by the way). Maybe field Caesar as well.

Ritia makes a great lure. She's basically invincible to everything except longe range attacks. But yeah you'll probably want to bring Caesar along. I can't remember what I did, but I had to rely on all my heavy hitters.

btw how do you get the valkyrie sword? I only had the dandelion for Meredy.

Edited by bufkus

Ritia makes a great lure. She's basically invincible to everything except longe range attacks. But yeah you'll probably want to bring Caesar along. I can't remember what I did, but I had to rely on all my heavy hitters.

btw how do you get the valkyrie sword? I only had the dandelion for Meredy.

Oh yeah, she does. Her tome was fast running out though since I was taking too long, but next time I'll try to limit the number of surrounding attackers.

You could buy it from an early shop IIRC (Chapter 3 according to the wiki).

It's kind of OP since it's magic-based and effective versus demonkind, but it has kinda low hit rate so I'm concerned about getting hit and letting the demons sap HP. I'll need to manage my 15th turn save effectively...

Beat Chapter 13 after some careful planning. Will report back after I've finished playing catch up.

Here are my notes for Chapter 12:

In this map, Shirutin and his men head to Oldham territory to mop up the remnants after seizing the capital. At the start, you get to choose a trio of characters to accompany Shirutin. Otherwise, the characters on the map are fixed.

I wasn't paying attention, but I think Lithia runs on ahead, much to Shirutin's dismay. Even though there aren't many enemies left, there's no way she's gonna survive on her own for long. That said, it's not long before you catch up with her.

On Lithia's side, you've got her trusted knight Helm (promoted) and servant Talys. The cool thing about Talys is that the first item in his inventory recovers 1 use per turn up to the 20th turn. If you're able to field many units, having Talys out is useful for repairing one item without a rare repair stone.

On Shirutin's side, I think you've got Elva, Hoerun and Maya if she was recruited in the previous chapter. Plus the selected trio from Zeid's company.

The main mission is to conquer the ger, which in itself isn't too difficult, but there are a few things to watch out for.

Early on, Hilda and Rinka will appear from the north-east. These gals from Norden are being chased by bandits and you need to lead them to the house all the way to the south. From there, they'll flee to the house across the river. Once they're there, you can have Shirutin visit the house to recruit the two plus Siegfried the womanising priest of Vesta.

In addition, Jamran and Neru will sortie from the west side of the ger. You can recruit Neru by speaking to her with Shirutin, at which point Jamran and Neru will both leave the map IIRC. However you can only speak to Neru if Jamran is alive.

Jamran charges ahead, so you may need to stall him with a high defence unit or Lithia, with her special tome that grants Vantage and Stun, thereby negating all enemy phase damage from 1~2 ranged enemies (that don't trigger Vantage themselves).

Rather than sneaking past Jamran, if you have Siegfried speak to Shirutin, he will teleport Neru to the far west. From there, you can fight your way past the bandits and thieves and potentially reach Neru before Jamran arrives.

Around Turn 8, dragon knights from Norden will swoop in and start attacking the Oldham remnants. Their leader Sigma will fly over to try and talk to Shirutin. It seems earlier the dragon knights of Norden signed a contract with the Solis king (who you just defeated) and they're here to retake the territory of Oldham.

Thankfully, Aineria who's accompanying Shirutin manages to wiggle him out of the political mess and the dragon knights are forced to leave in anger.

If you take too long to speak to Sigma, the dragon knights can cause a lot of damage and potentially occupy the ger, causing a game over. I honestly don't think they can take down the boss guarding the ger, but the dragon knights are pretty dang strong and maybe the RNG could favour them...

Is that everything...? Oh, if you have Siegfried speak to Hoerun, he'll give her a talisman that you can use to warp her to the central island.

If Hoerun prays in front of the shrine, she can class-change to a Priest, Swordfighter, Maracan or Vesta Mage. Or if you pick the last option, she gains a skill and horse promotion item (which you can use on Shirutin etc).

Outside of these options, Hoerun cannot class-change to my knowledge. After changing classes, Hoerun's level isn't reset (I think), which is a bit sad. Picking Maracan seems like the obvious option so she can continue to wield her personal bow (I eventually settled with that).

Another good choice may be Vesta Mage, although it could be my bias... From memory, my Hoerun had 10 Magic as a Vesta Mage, which seemed impressive. Dunno if she can promote to a High Mage like normal. Still that personal bow is too good to pass up.

Alternatively, you can send Maya to pray at the shrine. Choosing the correct answers makes Maya become a Dragon Knight, while choosing anything else gets you a flier promotion item. Apparently becoming a Dragon Knight removes Maya's bargain skill, so that's something to keep in mind.

Afterwards, Solis is officially united and there's a fun Chapter 12x, which is all dialogue scenes during a post-war banquet. There's a lot of talking, but the most important thing is that Shirutin decides to postpone his ascension to king by 1 year, so he can help Zeid reclaim Meleda.

Oh yeah, Neru and Aineria are sisters; I think they're both the daughters of the king that you ousted. Apparently Aineria went missing several years ago and everyone presumed the worst. However she ended up in Giscard's care and the rest is history.

Huh, well that was a small chapter with a lot to talk about...

Edited by VincentASM

Notes for Chapter 13, the desert chapter.

To reach Meleda, Zeid and company are forced to cross the Yied... er, Yiel Desert aka the Desert of Death.

Luckily fortune is on their side as a merchant from Meleda comes to inform them of a safe route known only by merchants. Zeid is confused why he would reveal this secret path to him, at which point we're given a lengthy history lesson.

Long ago, Meleda was the sole trade route with the continent of Celeron. The corrupt politicians abused this by offering imported goods for low prices within Meleda, but selling them for up to 10x the amount in the other nations. This caused Meleda to rise in affluence, while people in the other nations struggled and suffered.

As a result, many started hating the Meledans. As a point, the merchant even exclaimed that Meleda's invasion by the Solvian Empire was divine retribution. Originally, officials from Solvia came to visit Meleda to discuss the disparity in import prices, but their ship was attacked and set ablaze. Believing this to be Meleda's answer to their talks, the empire was angered and declared war.

So far, there seems no reason to help Zeid who's a Meledan, but then the merchant explains that during the early days of imperial occupation, the Empire offered fair trade throughout the continent. But after Aias left for the mainland, this all stopped and trade reverted back to how it used to be... or worse. Thus he decides to take a gamble, hoping that the new Kingdom of Meleda will be more fairer.

Anyway, back to the mission itself. The goal is to make everyone escape to the north-east corner of the map. Which is easy enough.

However there's an optional side mission, which is very difficult without proper planning.

Before the chapter begins, a woman is being taken away to be a live sacrifice. Rinka tries to stop them, but she gets put to sleep and her gang gets captured. Oops.

Around the second turn, the enemy is perplexed because they're missing a Brag (shard of a demon stone) for their ritual. Siegfried (who got captured along with Rinka and Hilda) offers to search for the Brag in exchange for their freedom. The enemy agrees and releases Siegfried and Hilda.

From here, you need to make Siegfried reach the red chest in the north-west corner before the end of Turn 10. Fail and the pair will be transported back to the old castle and executed. This task is all but impossible for the two of them, so you'll need to send your Eagle Riders to help.

While this is happening, you can go and rescue the woman being taken to the old castle near the centre of the map. Apparently you need to visit the village with Zeid first to properly trigger the rescue. After rescuing her, you can revisit the village to get a Hero Crest.

In addition, Etal (a NPC) is protecting a village in the south-east corner. If you want, you can go and help him. He's pretty OP, but the RNG can be cruel and he may end up getting killed by the sub boss. That... happened far too many times for me despite the 28% hit rate >___<

Etal leaves after you talk to him or all the invading bandits are dead. After that, the remaining bandits to the north will sortie. If you're lazy, you can just leave him, since at least two enemies are ranged and he can't kill them.

Meanwhile, the old castle is being guarded by Lavinia, Haldia's sister. She can't be defeated, so don't bother attacking her. I think you can have Haldia talk to her, but I hear it doesn't really do anything.

After acquiring the Brag, Siegfried and Hilda will be transported back to the old castle. Siegfried hands the Brag over, but he gets killed despite the promise. Next, Lavinia will leave and a spellcaster boss and three demons will guard the old castle.

Now your new objective is to defeat the boss before he and his demons leave 10 turns after they appear. Each turn, the boss summons Armour Knights an a Magul worshipper teleports from the old castle.

The three demons are all tough cookies. Each of them halves all damage, has high attack power and speed and can drain HP. The easiest way to defeat them is to aggro them with Lithia, who negates their attacks with her personal tome.

After luring them out, you can pelt them with Shirutin and Dune's personal bows and the Air Blade tome. Once they have low HP, you can finish them off with Aineria's personal sword. If your Meredy is high level, the Valkyrie Sword is good for opening combat.

Don't hesitate to whip a ranged attack with Lithia to boost your damage output, because you'll need a lot of hits to take a single demon down.

Only two of the demons move and they will always target Lithia (unless there is an weaker character in range, which is unlikely) and the boss doesn't attack (he only summons), so be sure to use those facts to your advantage.

The boss himself isn't as hard as the demons, but still annoying since he also halves damage IIRC. That said, he's much less bulky and slower so a couple of hits from the legendary bows should make short work of him.

After defeating the boss and demons, you can capture the old castle whenever you want. I waited until Turn 42, grinding on the Magul worshipers that continue to spawn. They give a lot of exp, so why not...

One more thing: On occasions, some bandits and thieves may spawn from the caves to the far north-west. They're not very dangerous, except for Cezar if you send him alone.

Once you've captured the old castle before the boss and demons flee, Siegfried, Hilda and Rinka formally join your party. It seems Siegfried faked his death much to Hilda's distress and embarrassment.

Before exiting the map, you can investigate the odd looking cacti to acquire Potions and the bones to the east of the old castle for a Fujin Sword.

Finally, if you visit the west-most ger, you can trigger a wagon escort event. This one's easy so long as you're got time and can handle the two wyverns to the north.