What PS would YOU make?

InigoPadalin

Mine would be like.

'Slow and Steady"- "increases defense by every point of movement you do not use this turn for one turn"

so it'd be great for walling off people, but for moving up it wouldn't exist.

Give them ALL the boots!

Azura's personal skill is pretty much everything I always wanted in a Fire Emblem game; I can't stand having to heal up those pesky minor wounds, but I get so upset when my units are missing a few points of health, so you can understand my dilemma.

Azura's personal skill is pretty much everything I always wanted in a Fire Emblem game; I can't stand having to heal up those pesky minor wounds, but I get so upset when my units are missing a few points of health, so you can understand my dilemma.

A few hit points can make all the difference in the world. I've had engagements where my attacks were either just enough or one or two hit points shy of killing a chum.

oh god i didn't think of that, genius now its gamebreaking.

There'd be a way to mitigate or even negate that breakage. Perhaps boots would be a "hidden buff" rather than a hard-set increase, and the skill would only count base movement.

There'd also probably be a "resistance" counterpart to it.

Taunt: Grants enemy Hit +40 and Crit +15 when they initiate an attack, but if they miss, this unit's counter attack is a guaranteed Crit.

Missing an initiated attack with an additional 40 hit is like asking for the crit, tbh. That'd be a super useful skill for a Swordmaster, especially if it'd guarantee that every attack in Astra was a crit. And by "super useful", I mean "totally broken".

Anyway...

One skill I thought up - not particularly for me (or even by me), but in general - is more a "personal trait" that was made for a certain character in Valkyria Chronicles. This atrocious trait - called "Humanitarian" - has a random chance of activating when you attack a foe, and what it does is it cancels your attack and your movement so that they stay dead in their tracks. Of course in that game, you were allowed to move units multiple times (at the cost of points, and with less available movement each time you select them in a single turn), so it was... a bit more balanced? But it was awful, and I'd imagine it would be even worse in FE; however, with some changes, it might be good for a pure staffbot. Perhaps the attack effect would remain, but when healing, there's a chance the user won't use up a durability point for the staff. Or there'd be some bonus healing, buff, or whatever. You get my point.

I'll post some actual skills I think of later. I tend to drag things out with creative works like this - no matter how simple they are.

Edited by Ertrick36

I thought of another one that could apply to me in AP Physics:

Occasional Spark of Genius: Allows this unit to activate more than one battle skill at once, but activation rate for said battle skills is only .75x, takes effect AFTER skills such as Quixotic and Hoshidan Unity are accounted for.

@Ertrick36

i really like your ideas for balancing, my original class idea would either be a spear fighter or a knight so at most i'd could get like a plus 3 boost. (which is still big and can stack with other stuff)

Well, you'd want a buff that's significant enough to give you a slight edge. Obviously not anywhere beyond the maximum you'd get from base movement, as that sort of stuff is best reserved for either latecomers or high level skills. Since it's so heavily reliant on context, it isn't quite like a +2 stat skill, so you could get away with numbers that are slightly higher. Though at the same time, you did say they'd stack upon other buffs, so you could very well wind up with a unit with an impenetrable 50 defense if you play your Benny cards right.

Lazy Blows: -5 physical damage for both user and opponent in battle if user's HP is above 50%

I can just imagine two dudes walking towards each other, lazily flailing their arms at one another. Though in all seriousness, that skill would be surprisingly useful for grinding. It's got a "Wary Fighter" vibe to it.

Alright, I don't know if anyone saw my accidental original post... but I did have a few ideas other "personal skills" thought out and ready. First one'll be for myself. Others will be for original characters. I'll try to make them balanced, but for the sake of fitting the skills with the characters' personalities, there might be some discrepancies. However, rest assured there won't be any Mary Sue "Super Death God" skills here.

Bait Strike - When enemy triggers a battle, Hit Rate +20 and damage dealt +3
I'm often a defensive-minded fellow, both in how I'd think I'd engage in actual combat and in my philosophy of violence, though not in the sense that I get defensive about everything. I figure it's best to strike last, so rather than charging at problems, I plan ahead for the problems I can see coming as well as unforeseen events. I know that most seasoned FE fans tend to play defensively, but since I choose to carry this combative philosophy into the real world, I think it suits me well enough.
No debuffs here 'cuz I don't really let things get me down. Sure, I can feel sad or angry at times, but... well, those times are kind of few and far between. Plus, I'd like to keep it simple for myself, since I'm just some fella who laughs at stupid memes.
Also, I somewhat based the balancing of this off of Gunter's personal skill. I figured that since my skill would get used less, I could give it a little extra power.

Here, this is how you decide wether you prefer defense or attack:

If an unstoppable force meets an unmovable object, which one would win?

Your answer is your desicion, and saying "logic says" just proves my point.

Edited by InigoPadalin

Here, this is how you decide wether you prefer defense or attack:

I'll keep that in mind going forward, but I'm also going to keep the skill as is. Even though I said I'm defensive minded, when I come under attack (physical or otherwise), rather than holding my ground, I instead try to strike back harder; perhaps I should've said I was "vengeful minded", but that would give off a much less accurate impression of my personality. And similar logic applies to my play style; I often bait to kill, not bait to defend (though sometimes - especially on Lunatic - I do bait to keep strong enemies away from weak allies). I throw in the extra evasiveness, too, because I'm not above using "dirty tricks" in a life-threatening situation. I just try to avoid getting hurt, rather than take the pain head on.

I do appreciate the advice. It's a good thing to keep in mind in general when making skills. Always think about your buffs/bonuses and how they'd rationally be implemented into the context of your personal. And obviously balance is key; no one is an omnipotent being.

Anyway, I've got a character I made in FE Awakening who I'm going to give a personal skill.

Empathetic - When not paired, Crit Rate -15 and deals 5 damage less, but when paired, the debuff is negated and if the paired unit has at least a C support level with the user, they gain +15 Crit Rate and +10 Hit Rate (can stack with other buffs)
So my Awakening avatar is a character I made for roleplaying and written works, who is somewhat based on myself (and is inspired by characters like Marth). He's an empathetic person, almost to the point of being a pacifist. So when he's alone against his enemies, he becomes reluctant to fight, making his attacks weaker. But being with friends reassures him of his cause, making his attacks much more focused than typical. Basically, the skill is a bipolar exaggeration of support bonuses due to the nature of his character trait.

Neither.

The force will keep trying and the object will remain in place. Nothing will change unless the force changes direction for some reason, in which case neither will have won because the force continues but in a new direction whilst the object remains still.

I'd assume eventually the force would cross the universe until it once again reaches the object and ricochets again, assuming that's what would happen.

I suppose from an outside view, this may seem like the immovable object wins but the force never diminished, even if it ricochets, it's still the unstoppable force.

WHY AM I DOING THIS TO MYSELF? DX

Neither.

The force will keep trying and the object will remain in place. Nothing will change unless the force changes direction for some reason, in which case neither will have won because the force continues but in a new direction whilst the object remains still.

I'd assume eventually the force would cross the universe until it once again reaches the object and ricochets again, assuming that's what would happen.

I suppose from an outside view, this may seem like the immovable object wins but the force never diminished, even if it ricochets, it's still the unstoppable force.

WHY AM I DOING THIS TO MYSELF? DX

Actually, the unstoppable force would reverse direction.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. The unmovable object does not move, so the force of the impact is rebounded back into the unstoppable force and so the unstoppable force reverses direction while keeping the same magnitude.

On a more relevant note, this topic has gone a little off topic so i'll make another PS:

Daredevil: When the user initiates an attack and the enemy will deal enough damage to kill them(without counting skill procs), user gains Hit/Crit+10.

Mine would have to be....

Parry & Riposte:

When this unit dodges an attack, it gets 1 extra attack.

Not abusable with brave weapons. I.E. You can't turn your one extra attack into 2.

And yes, this is inspired by Dark Souls.

Edited by JackTheGamer

Actually, the unstoppable force would reverse direction.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. The unmovable object does not move, so the force of the impact is rebounded back into the unstoppable force and so the unstoppable force reverses direction while keeping the same magnitude.

Were you accounting for trajectory? I mean we're technically both right. If the force hits the object but is angled to a certain degree when making contact, it would likely alter its trajectory, but naturally, a head-on collision would just cause a direct rebound.

This has been interesting.

Sorry if they're too strong, they were fun to come up with though!

Resilience:

If this unit misses an attack, +30 hit rate for the next turn.

or

Merciful

When selected from the unit's commands the user will leave the target with one HP from an attack that would've otherwise killed them, but their weapon will be unequiped until their next turn (generic units only)

Resilience is pretty straight forward, I tend to be able to brush myself off easily and retry something I failed, or work out how best to improve a situation, learning from my mistakes.

Merciful is there since I don't like to hurt people if I can avoid it, it also helps with grinding weaker units or capturing units. Like Elincia's Mercy from Radiant Dawn, but tweaked a little. Does mean that if you don't finish them off on that turn they will re-equip their weapons and attack when you end your turn.

One that would've been cool for a unit like Shigure who always has a sibling, or one of the 1st gen royals would've been:

Protective sibling:

When in guard stance with a sibling unit, who's HP is less than 50%, if this unit is the lead unit deal +5 damage with +2 Def and +2 Res.

Edited by Bandit