Vuur Insigne: Holy Lance and the Dark God

Cydonia921

Hey everyone! My name is Cydonia921, and I've been lurking around Serenes Forest for quite some time. I'm a huge Fire Emblem fan, having played every one from FE1 to Fates, and I absolutely adore the series. So, I was bouncing ideas in my head over the last weekend, and a thought came to mind, being to develop my own Fire Emblem-style game. I set out to do the task, creating a few characters at first (since my ambitions are limited at the moment), drawing concept art, etc. I'm not the best artist in the world, but I at least get the concepts down for the characters before I begin writing stuff out. Then, I downloaded FEXP and popped it open, and I am honestly a bit lost.

I've sifted through some tutorials here and there, fiddled with scripts, and got some of the basic things down. Now, take into mind that I am a college student, and as such I can't offer any money at all, since I have to pay rent and normal things that you would expect. However, any advice would be greatly appreciated on a few things I had in mind that I can't seem to figure out.

1) How do I make it so that the maps/chapters I make can be played? I've tried a few things and it only results in errors, leaving me with only the test maps that are able to play. At the very least I can test out creating soldiers/characters and try them out before I move on, so it's not a horrible thing for the time being.

2) I'm relatively new to coding, and as such this is also a test project for me to learn. I heard/read that FEXP is an incomplete engine, but from what I've seen of some projects amazing things can be done with it.

3) How do I make it so that units can support each other? The engine itself didn't really give any examples of how to do this, so I'm more curious than anything.

That's the main three questions I have for the moment; this thread will probably be filled with more as I go along. Any help would be greatly appreciated!~

Thanks for taking the team to read.

1. Klok's tutorial is probably going to be the most comprehensive thing you'll find. FEXP was never finished, with the people involved moving to work on a standalone engine called FEXNA.

2. FEXP is missing a bunch of stuff, such as supports, which you asked about in 3. What projects have you seen to use FEXP? You might've seen things using FEXNA, which is pretty amazing.

3. You'd have to write the code yourself. I haven't touched FEXP in ages, but for what I remember supports were never finished. FEXP, which utilizes RPGMaker XP, is written in Ruby. You should definitely look up the language and see if it's something you'd like to learn.

Well I saw some heavily modified versions of FEXP floating around with what people have made in the past. I can't think of too many off the top of my head, but if I saw them I definitely remember. Also, I do keep hearing about this FEXNA. What exactly is it? I'm aware that it was used to make FE7x, which I did play through and loved every moment of it because it was incredibly well done. But I'm assuming that it's not available to the public yet? Or am I mistaken? Either way, I am really itching to get this project going, so if I have to study ruby code then that's something I will do. ^^

FEXNA is an engine built using Microsoft XNA that's in private beta. You might also want to check out SRPG Studio if you're not interested in romhacking, or if working with FEXP isn't your thing. It's a paid program, and it's also in Japanese, but it looks pretty decent for making stuff like this.