Do you think people are overreactiong about Nintendo and Mobile?

The DanMan

Topic Poll  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you thinkg people are overreacting about Nintendo and Mobile?

• Yes, very much so
    • Yes, somewhat
    • Yes, slightly
    • No, they aren't

I can understand why people are afraid of It, since they think that Nintendo may focus more on mobile, but, at the same time, I find the general reaction to be exaggerated, especially considering that they still want to concentrate more on the console market and sees the mobile market as a way to bring people on their home console.

Perhaps Nintendo will actually focus primarily in mobile in the future but, as of now, things doesn't seem to suggest such a...well, thing

Eh, at this point I've accepted that every announcement Nintendo makes will be met with some form of overreaction. There's the reactions towards TMS #FE and Fates' localization (To name examples people here should be familiar with). And you'll likely be hard-pressed to find positive comments regularly in NoA's Twitter feed.

Just look at this.

sanstitredibpg.png

THere is also some very positive news here that people are not paying attention too. Namely, super mario run's monitization. Although it technecaly has "in app purchases", it sounds like that's because the app is free, but is really just a demo, and the "in app purchase" is just "buy full game". Lots of previous negative reaction to Nintendo's mobile endevers assumed that nintendo would embrace the worst "play to win" practices that are currently dominating the mobile space (especially because DeNa is responsible for some of the worst examples). "super mario run" (plus the nature of pokemon go's microtransactions.) give the lie to this argument. In fact, it "super mario run" does well enough, i can see mobel games moving away from those abuses, which would be a great thing.

Honestly, i spent much more time worying about the headphone jack's removal on the iphone 7 (which was announced at the same presentation) then this.

Edited by sirmola

very much so, to the point that it's actually kind of hilarious

literally every big video game company does mobile games

hell, even just big companies in general

there are plenty of sub-par games that tie into big console games or movies or tv shows

this is just a mario game for phones

i don't see why anyone would care about this that much

Honestly, i spent much more time worying about the headphone jack's removal on the iphone 7 (which was announced at the same presentation) then this.

I still don't get how this makes any sense at all from a marketing standpoint.

Like I know the device comes with a converter, but there's really no reason to not have a headphone jack, since headphones are such a widespread accessory.

It makes literally no sense.

I still don't get how this makes any sense at all from a marketing standpoint.

Like I know the device comes with a converter, but there's really no reason to not have a headphone jack, since headphones are such a widespread accessory.

It makes literally no sense.

Another issue is all the peripherals that use the headphone jack (such as the "square" device that small buisness owners everywhere rely on to make payments.

It makes sense from the perspective of apple getting $4 in licencing fees every time someone buys headphones that use the lightening port, as well as the perspective of them owning "beats". (it also theoretically allows you to make the phone thinner, but the iphone 7 does not take advantage of that)

Edited by sirmola

I think people are absolutely overreacting.

As far as I'm aware, Nintendo's outlined their plans for their mobile titles pretty well. They're an additional source of income, and they generate more brand awareness. Pokemon Go's already shown that this can work. As far as I'm aware, even if all the money didn't go to Nintendo themselves, Pokemon Go did do pretty well in terms of the money made from in-game purchases, and the PokeGo hype actually caused some people to go out and buy a 3DS so they can play XY or ORAS. (I dunno, maybe I'm just talking out of my ass here. I get all this sort of info second hand because I never actually bother to go look at gaming news sites unless someone prompts me to.)

I may not give two fricks about Super Mario Run, but I know it's not made for me, it's made for casual gamers who do all their gaming on their phone, to get them interested in Nintendo. I don't really see how this is a bad thing. And granted, yes, there has been kind of a drought of good games lately, on the Wii U especially, but I'd chalk that more up NX preparations than mobile. If the NX does as poorly as the Wii U, then I reckon people are allowed to start being worried about Nintendo going 3rd party.

I hope you guys enjoy microtransaction in Nintendo games that you bough for 40 dollars in the future. Once you are used to the amazing profits you get from mobile games, you simply cannot live without it. The other companies have already done it and Nintendo is heading the same way. Two dollars for 1 extra life in Mario, five dollars to get pass Browser. Oh how I love it.

Edited by Magical CC

I hope you guys enjoy microtransaction in Nintendo games that you bough for 40 dollars in the future. Once you are used to the amazing profits you get from mobile games, you simply cannot live without it. The other companies have already done it and Nintendo is heading the same way. Two dollars for 1 extra life in Mario, five dollars to get pass Browser. Oh how I love it.

This is sarcasm, right? You aren't actually serious here, right?

Anyway to be on topic, yes people are very much so overreacting. Just because Nintendo is doing mobile games, it doesn't mean Nintendo is only going to do mobile games or even specialize in them over console/handheld games. It doesn't mean the games will be casualized to hell where even a baby can complete them with no effort. It doesn't mean there will be microtransactions in every single game they produce to handle everything for the player.

Its a lot of Overreacting. I could understand it if Nintendo was going fully Mobile, and didnt have a new console releasing next year, but that isnt the case. We have the NX next year that Nintendo fans have to look forward to. Its not like everything has been abandoned. I am actually looking forward to how the Fire Emblem app is going to turn out. Fire Emblem has been so underrated for years it will be nice to see it get some spotlight that it has deserved.

I think part of the problem is that people compare Mobile games with cash grab money shops. As someone who understands how these things work, and that these businesses are here to make money, I dont mind it at all. It is clearly working, so why not, while others have been throwing fits about these cash shops since day 1. People complaining about Nintendo going Mobile is the same exact thing. We even had people complaining that Fire Emblem Fates had day 1 DLC for its release in the US, even though the DLC that was released day 1 here, was released a few weeks after the release in Japan. It wasnt on disc, or cartridge, but people wouldnt get that through their thick skulls.