Action-RPG or Turn Based?

Hinya

I was wondering what the dear people of Serenes prefer: the action-packed style of the Action-RPG ( Witcher, Skyrim,FF 15.) or the more strategic style of Turn Based RPG's ( FE, SMT, Pokemon ). I'm curious to know what each of you thinks about these two "types" of RPG's: how do you want them to be executed, what you don't like about them, ways to improvise them etc..

Each has their own merits and great styles. It depends on the type of style the game would best fit to. Pokémon's perfect as it is with a turn-based system and I don't see it working too well outside of that. On the other hand, I really liked Kingdom Hearts 2 and that gave plenty of things to try and combinations to work with so I'm pretty neutral on my stance.

Obviously, I like Fire Emblem but I feel that much like Kingdom Hearts, it could be treated either turn-based or action-packed.

I don't really have a solid preference, they're both great.

I like both action and turn based combat as long as A. It isn't repetitive, and B. Success isn't RNG-based.

Favorite turn-based RPG would be Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

Favorite Action RPG would be Kingdom Hearts, Pandora's Tower, or Brave Fencer Musashi.

Edited by Zera

Turn based gives me a chance to wiki all their attacks

I take a lot of breaks and I like being able to stop after the enemy/boss attacks and I can think about my moves more carefully

Don't most half-decent action-RPGs have a "pause" button? I would think with a pause button, putting down any action game would be as easy as a turn based one.

. . .are you serious? When I put down a turn-based game, I can look at the screen and figure out WTF I did. Hell, the Etrian Odyssey series, known for its copious amounts of turn-based bullshit, gives a turn counter, so that the player can come back to the game and figure out what the boss will do next.

When I put down an action-based game, I need to figure out WTF is up with the screen, and then hope and pray I didn't just move my character into some attack or other.

When I put down an action-based game, I need to figure out WTF is up with the screen, and then hope and pray I didn't just move my character into some attack or other.

Well, the first rule of pausing action games is that you don't pause right before a Giant Death Laser is about to hit you. As for figuring out WTF is happening, that's up to good HUD design.

I'd say I like both, but I'm partial more towards turn-based. I feel more fond for them and it gives me a chance to see what would be the best way to attack something without too much hassle.

Well, the first rule of pausing action games is that you don't pause right before a Giant Death Laser is about to hit you. As for figuring out WTF is happening, that's up to good HUD design.

Screw that, if I need to pull my chicken from the oven, I NEED to pull that chicken out of the oven RIGHT NOW. Not wait until the boss battle is done.

Screw that, if I need to pull my chicken from the oven, I NEED to pull that chicken out of the oven RIGHT NOW. Not wait until the boss battle is done.

If it takes more than 5 seconds to find a safe moment to pause, then what action game are you playing?

If it takes more than 5 seconds to find a safe moment to pause, then what action game are you playing?

If you don't understand the meaning of RIGHT NOW, then I don't think you're in a position to ask.

Definitely turn-based for me. I don't really care for many actiony RPGs outside of Zelda. Being able to put a game down quickly, or being able to stop and think about what I'm doing, are very important to me. I also have shit for reflexes.

The right answer is ATB.

Though it's a nice compromise. Battle gameplay like Grandia or Child of Light are some of the best ones over there : both strategical and fast-paced.

Turn-based definitely. I work really hard under pressure.

I have fun with Tales of Games, but there is a separated battle scene, so it makes it easier to prepare yourself.

I have a slight preference for Action RPGs since there are few turn-based games in which the game-play mentally excites me as much as the prior. I enjoy the challenge of dictating precisely when to make certain actions, and one of my personal pet peeves involves acts of repetition. Usually, action role-playing titles give me a great deal of unpredictable and non-repetitive elements when engaged in the battles, which is a great feeling as opposed to the somewhat routine approach to most battles in turn-based rpgs. Even tactically stimulating encounters can oft be trivialized by using a tried and tested approach, yet, action games rarely present the precisely same encounter twice, even if the opponent seems predictable (Tales of is really good with this variance on their higher difficulties, in my opinion). Do I fully despise the tried and true approach to those types, though? No, but it is often helped if they have something that engages me beyond just their battles; or even if they manage to present some of the story through the battles (the Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel and Final Fantasy IX are good examples of my favorite turn-based rpgs that do both of those points adequately, for me). Still, really enjoy the somewhat chaotic tension many action rpgs manage to present and the satisfaction of overcoming it.