Action-RPG or Turn Based?

Hinya

To me it's an impossible choice between Western(style) Action RPGs and classic turn-based RPGs.

Like them both in their own way, as long as they match my interest in a game, so why chose?

Fire Emblem is a strategy game first and the RPG-elements make it a very unique game, which is why I wouldn't compare it to either of these genres, but to

the strategy genre instead.

I have a slight preference for Action RPGs since there are few turn-based games in which the game-play mentally excites me as much as the prior. I enjoy the challenge of dictating precisely when to make certain actions, and one of my personal pet peeves involves acts of repetition. Usually, action role-playing titles give me a great deal of unpredictable and non-repetitive elements when engaged in the battles, which is a great feeling as opposed to the somewhat routine approach to most battles in turn-based rpgs. Even tactically stimulating encounters can oft be trivialized by using a tried and tested approach, yet, action games rarely present the precisely same encounter twice, even if the opponent seems predictable (Tales of is really good with this variance on their higher difficulties, in my opinion). Do I fully despise the tried and true approach to those types, though? No, but it is often helped if they have something that engages me beyond just their battles; or even if they manage to present some of the story through the battles (the Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel and Final Fantasy IX are good examples of my favorite turn-based rpgs that do both of those points adequately, for me). Still, really enjoy the somewhat chaotic tension many action rpgs manage to present and the satisfaction of overcoming it.

Nitpicking, but FFIX isn't turn-based, since it's classic ATB (it's an hybrid between both.) Unless you mean FFX?

Nitpicking, but FFIX isn't turn-based, since it's classic ATB (it's an hybrid between both.) Unless you mean FFX?

Oh, I understand. I mentally considered games with ATB style to be "turn" based since you do technically wait for your chance to input a command rather than freely move and attack at your own discretion as in what I consider as an action role-playing title.

Definitely turn-based for me. I don't really care for many actiony RPGs outside of Zelda. Being able to put a game down quickly, or being able to stop and think about what I'm doing, are very important to me. I also have shit for reflexes.

You dont need spider reflex to play Skyrim or The Witcher 3.

in hopes that it hasn't been said before

Why not both?

I play most genre there is and I just prefer RPGs in general with none really being better then the other

i mostly just have preferred series or games for individual variant of RPGs

• 2 weeks later...

You dont need spider reflex to play Skyrim or The Witcher 3.

Seriously I suck horribly at Skyrim, I get killed all the time and can barely fight. I'm not saying I'm great at games, but I can play at least hard/expert/nightmare style difficulties on many action related games. I died too often in skyrim on like normal difficulty and kinda stopped playing.

In general I would prefer a run of the mill action rpg to a run of the mill jrpg. A mediocre jrpg/turn based rpg is just a chore. A mediocre action rpg is still gonna be a bit more entertaining.

But if the game is very good, I would probably prefer a turn based game. X com, fire emblems I particularly like, etrian odyssey, legend of heroes SC - these games I probably like more than my favorite action rpgs.

If it's good but not superbly so, it's sort of a toss up, but action oriented is a bit better, a bit more likely to be engaging in terms of gameplay.

Seriously I suck horribly at Skyrim, I get killed all the time and can barely fight. I'm not saying I'm great at games, but I can play at least hard/expert/nightmare style difficulties on many action related games. I died too often in skyrim on like normal difficulty and kinda stopped playing.

I think it's just you dont get Skyrim because combat in Skyrim is probably one of the easiest and simplest where you dont need to think to kill stuff. I played the hardest difficult and still found it to be extremely easy.

Turn-based.

When it comes strictly to the gameplay of an RPG, the genre has two main strengths. One, they get you to think strategically about what you're doing. Two, you can manage a whole team of characters and think best about how to use them together, instead of just controlling one character like Mega Man. Action RPGs are notably less good at both of these. They attempt a hybrid with action games, but usually end up as mediocre RPGs and mediocre action games both. As far as RPGs with an action/time-requirement, I'm more partial either to games which integrate action either via a timed ATB element (Final Fantasy 4-9/13) or via a timed hit mechanic (Paper Mario, Shadow Hearts series, etc.)... though I tend to still mentally class those as turn-based.

I like some action RPGs, but I don't love any, whereas more turn-based RPGs (such as Fire Emblem, but also Final Fantasy X for an outstanding non-SRPG example) are my favourites. I also really like plenty of pure action games like Devil May Cry, so I think it's something about the hybridisation which doesn't work too well for me.

I think it's just you dont get Skyrim because combat in Skyrim is probably one of the easiest and simplest where you dont need to think to kill stuff. I played the hardest difficult and still found it to be extremely easy.

There's just something weird to me about meleeing in 1st person, I think. I tend to always mess up my timing for both shield and sword, stuff like that. I could believe skyrim is easy if you have a better understanding of how to play.