Project Naga Translation Patch Issue (and headed Rom files)

Lord Tullus

Recently, I've tried to use the FE 4 Translation patch, "Project Naga" by bookofholsety. But I ran into many hiccups. This one is causing me the most grief.

Here's the problem I ran into: I have tried to patch the Japanese Rom of FE 4 with IPS. (the description of the rom and file name says it is Japanese, but the dialogue is in English) It works, but only for the title screen and the opening narration before it. When I press "start" the screen slowly pans down a few frames, then freezes. I cannot do anything to correct this.

I do not know if I am doing anything wrong, and I am using the emulator "Snes9x". The image of the Rom file appears like the logo of Snes9x (it is also saved as a Snes9x File), and the Rom file size is 2.84 MB of storage space.

The reason I include this much information is because there are apparently "Headed" and "Unheaded" Rom file types. All I know about the difference between the two is that one has more "unnecessary" space. How can I tell the difference of file space? Is there a specific number in file size that I need to look for to tell whether or not it is headed? I may just be applying the patch to the wrong file type, and I want to be sure that I am doing things properly. I am not the only person with this issue either. I've spoken to another member here on SF with this problem who has not found a solution. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Edited by Lord Tullus

The unheadered, unpatched ROM should be 4 MB, headered unpatched 4.0004 or more MB- or

a vanilla unheadered rom should clock in at 4,194,304 bytes

headered clocks in at 4,194,816 bytes or more

As far as checking the size goes, just clicking the file or right-clicking it and selecting properties (or "more information" or something of such nature) should tell you immediately specifics of how much space the file is.

The last time I spoke with somebody with this kind of issue, they hadn't unpacked the archived ROM :V

Checking my own files, a zipped vanilla unheadered (4,194,816 bytes) FE4 is 2.8 MB, so I'd assume that this is the issue... for the moment at the very least.

Edited by Bedimal Eliwan

The last time I spoke with somebody with this kind of issue, they hadn't unpacked the archived ROM :V

By unpacking the archived rom, do you mean the extracting the zipped set of files/roms?

Ok, I JUST got it to work. :Roy: Just right click the rom file, click properties, look at the file size, and compare it to the File Sizes for the headerd and unheaded In the Read Me. But I'd Say to use the Headered patch (I used IPS) and get a 100% Japanese Rom. No engurishu/chinese allowed.

Here's the specifics from the ReadMe:

If the file contains a header, the file size should be 4,194,816 bytes.
And the patch file you should use is either the "for_headered_rom.ips"
or "for_headered_rom.xdelta".
If the file does not contain a header, the file size should be 4,194,304 bytes.
And the patch file you should use is either the "for_unheadered_rom.ips"
or "for_unheadered_rom.xdelta".
If anyone has this issue, Tell them to read the readme, (no one does this, unfortunately) and get a purely japanese rom. A big indicator for me was the text color that comes up when it is opened. Yellow text means it is hacked or impure Rom, and White is good to go.
Edited by Lord Tullus