• Pretty balanced
    • Meh
    • Pretty unbalanced
  3. 3. Did you like the maps?

• Yeah
    • Meh
    • Nah

Hi, everyone!

This is a short 8-chapter FE7 ROM hack. I call it Fire Emblem: Fallen King. It's a pretty simple hack, with no new special classes or crazy features or anything. It does have all new maps and characters, though.

[spoiler=Screenshots]

LgsXk2w.png

zepOdAR.png

EISOSZY.png

xiK8HyS.png

[spoiler=Recruitment Guide]

[spoiler=Chapter 2]Carlyle - Talk with Claudio

Diane - Talk with Carlyle or Dylan

Dylan - Talk with Carlyle or Diane

Benedict - Talk with Claudio or Luara

[spoiler=Chapter 3]O'Clair - Talk with Claudio

Gertrude - Talk with O'Clair

Link - Visit top-left village

[spoiler=Chapter 4]Ruby - Talk with Carlyle or Dylan

Nacho - Open his cell door

Ramon - Open his cell door

[spoiler=Chapter 5]Anna - Talk with Benedict

[spoiler=Chapter 7]Estar - Talk with Cheryl

[spoiler=Downloads]

V 1.2

Mediafire

Google Drive

V 1.1

Mediafire

Google Drive

V 1.0

Mediafire

Google Drive

[spoiler=Patching Guide]It's a UPS patch, so you'd need a program to apply a UPS patch to a FE7 rom. I use [NUPS](http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/606/).

Get NUPS, the patch, and an unedited FE7 ROM. Open NUPS and select "Apply an UPS patch to a file". Next to "File to patch", click Browse and the select your ROM. Next to "UPS Patch", click Browse and select the patch.

Then hit the "Patch" button and you should be good!

[spoiler=Bugs]

-Cheryl can't access the convoy or trade. Don't buy items with her, or they'll be stuck in her inventory forever.

[spoiler=Credits]

Thanks to all of these people for making this possible:

DuwaShuwana - For making some awesome portraits!

Arch, Blazer, Nintenlord - Tutorials
Hextator - FEEditor Advance
Arch - FE7 Nightmare Modules

Nintenlord - Event Assembler, NUPS, and Tiled Map Inserter

HackMew - Advanced Palette Editor and Free Space Finder

The Helmeted Rodent - Sappy 2006

Toby Fox and Radixan - Endgame's music and the midi I used for it.

Let me know if I missed you on accident.

Hope you enjoy it! Let me know if you have any problems!

Edited by MonopolyRubix

I haven't played the entire hack, but I'm ready to say some... things about it.

In all honesty, I didn't find it to be great. I'll start with a basic idea of how I feel: the sprites are garbage, the gameplay is bad (and unfun), the characters are mostly bad...

Now, about characters:

The unit balance is questionable. Now, I feel like I could use just about any unit in a lot of situations, and that's bad. There seems to be a serious lack of... singularity in the units. Every unit feels about the same (dealing singular blows of 10-15 damage to every enemy) One of the few exceptions is the MAIN CHARACTER, who feels mostly useless (another was Laura, who was just ridiculously good). However, I think this issue probably stems from the severe lack of enemies. Every map is sizeable, but the enemy force seems to be stupidly small, consisting of nothing but a few tiny groups. I don't know if sluggish is the right word for it -- the game doesn't necessarily feel turtley -- but I'll say it feels sluggish.

The story is just plain and uninspired. Not much to say on that subject, honestly. Most of the characters get very little screen time, and the ones who actually get some aren't all that. Claudio is beyond dull (although my view might be biased by his performance as a unit.)

I do like the enemy king character. From what I've seen of him, he's a bit of a smart-ass. It's unfitting for a king, but entertaining nonetheless.

I didn't beat the hack yet, but I'm excited to see how you shoehorn in a dark sorcerer plotline in a matter of 4 chapters.

Now, onto my absolute favorite part...

The sprites!

I've seen worse, but they're certainly bad. I don't want to sound like a dick, but half the cast has necks.

Miguel's sprite is my favorite because I legitimately laughed at it. It had actual comedic value for me.

The opinion I've presented so far makes it seem like I see almost nothing good in this hack, which isn't true. I still enjoyed myself playing it.

On a slightly less rude note, I'm willing to make better sprites for your hack if you'd allow me.

I haven't played the entire hack, but I'm ready to say some... things about it.

In all honesty, I didn't find it to be great. I'll start with a basic idea of how I feel: the sprites are garbage, the gameplay is bad (and unfun), the characters are mostly bad...

Now, about characters:

The unit balance is questionable. Now, I feel like I could use just about any unit in a lot of situations, and that's bad. There seems to be a serious lack of... singularity in the units. Every unit feels about the same (dealing singular blows of 10-15 damage to every enemy) One of the few exceptions is the MAIN CHARACTER, who feels mostly useless (another was Laura, who was just ridiculously good). However, I think this issue probably stems from the severe lack of enemies. Every map is sizeable, but the enemy force seems to be stupidly small, consisting of nothing but a few tiny groups. I don't know if sluggish is the right word for it -- the game doesn't necessarily feel turtley -- but I'll say it feels sluggish.

The story is just plain and uninspired. Not much to say on that subject, honestly. Most of the characters get very little screen time, and the ones who actually get some aren't all that. Claudio is beyond dull (although my view might be biased by his performance as a unit.)

I do like the enemy king character. From what I've seen of him, he's a bit of a smart-ass. It's unfitting for a king, but entertaining nonetheless.

I didn't beat the hack yet, but I'm excited to see how you shoehorn in a dark sorcerer plotline in a matter of 4 chapters.

Now, onto my absolute favorite part...

The sprites!

I've seen worse, but they're certainly bad. I don't want to sound like a dick, but half the cast has necks.

Miguel's sprite is my favorite because I legitimately laughed at it. It had actual comedic value for me.

The opinion I've presented so far makes it seem like I see almost nothing good in this hack, which isn't true. I still enjoyed myself playing it.

On a slightly less rude note, I'm willing to make better sprites for your hack if you'd allow me.

Bummer. Sorry you didn't like it very much!

Unit balance was certainly something I struggled with. I figured Claudio was balanced through his ability to heavily damage paladins and generals, though I guess that wasn't the case. Is Laura having no problems with strength/defense? Any other units you'd like to mention?

For the story, I was mostly trying to keep it brief and simple so it didn't get in the way of the gameplay. I can see that being very problematic if you don't like the gameplay.

You can go ahead and work on sprites if you'd like, but I won't guarantee that I'll use each and every one. Thanks for the offer, though! That's very nice of you!

And I'm glad you got some enjoyment out of it!

Edited by MonopolyRubix

I felt a need to make a thought post, of sorts, which I've never done before. I'm sorry if 1) it's unwanted, and 2) if it comes off as rude, as that isn't my intention. I'm also sorry if I've done this wrong.

Maps: -Certain ones (the 1st and 7th come to mind) felt twisty for the express purpose of extending time spent on the level.

-The artificial time limit on particular maps (imposed by a certain unstoppable force) felt at least one turn too short, especially on levels with shops. Although, that’s probably more my own problem because I like to be overstocked on weaponry, so long as I can afford it.

-The way you set up the maps, along with the imposed time limit, forced me to play a very specific way for around at least half the hack. I’m not sure if this is good or bad.

-Ch. 6, though the one that made me most uncomfortable gameplay-wise, was probably my favorite since it plays like a defense level. It was also a far cry from the chapters immediately preceding it because, rather than relying on speed (like the 3 or 4 previous ones), it required patience, so it was a nice change of pace (although I’m not sure about putting a defense level immediately after a bunch of speed levels).

Character Balance: -Mages have almost no combat utility. Of course, most of their time is spent healing anyway. But, generally, they were too squishy to fight anything with ranged weapons, and too slow to be safe attacking at almost any time. If that makes sense.

-Needing 2-3 friendlies to murder 1 enemy (on average) is fine, but almost never being able to fully kill a single enemy with one friendly, just to clear off some pressure, is somewhat debilitating, particularly on the time limit levels (only Claudio and Calem were capable of that, against cavalry and armors. Those with bows were utterly incapable of ORKO-ing fliers without the brave bow). I admit that I’m used to playing on the easiest sort of difficulties in Fire Emblem games, whenever possible, so really I’m just unused to not having a team of gods.

-Claudio ended up being my most reliable character.

-Thank you for the game-start convoy.

Story: -A very standard Fire Emblem plot, so if that’s what you were going for you succeeded. It’s functional.

Overall: I mention the time limit a lot, so I might be subconsciously annoyed by it. I honestly don’t know, but take from that what you will?

I found that the primary strength of this hack is that it is, for all intents and purposes, balanced (in my opinion, obviously. Nothing was impossible, and it wasn’t Sacred Stones easy). However, as DuwaShuwana said, it plays rather sluggishly. When combined with the pressure of needing to get places quickly, there is a weird sort of impatience. The feeling wasn’t altogether pleasant.

As a whole, the hack felt surprisingly complete for only being 8 chapters (and actually trying to tell a full story). Despite what I’ve said that could be viewed negatively, I enjoyed myself more than not, as it forced me to play with cautious speed instead of my usual way (which fully agrees with Carlyle’s basic strategy). If you keep working on it it's a great start.

I felt a need to make a thought post, of sorts, which I've never done before. I'm sorry if 1) it's unwanted, and 2) if it comes off as rude, as that isn't my intention. I'm also sorry if I've done this wrong.

Maps: -Certain ones (the 1st and 7th come to mind) felt twisty for the express purpose of extending time spent on the level.

-The artificial time limit on particular maps (imposed by a certain unstoppable force) felt at least one turn too short, especially on levels with shops. Although, that’s probably more my own problem because I like to be overstocked on weaponry, so long as I can afford it.

-The way you set up the maps, along with the imposed time limit, forced me to play a very specific way for around at least half the hack. I’m not sure if this is good or bad.

-Ch. 6, though the one that made me most uncomfortable gameplay-wise, was probably my favorite since it plays like a defense level. It was also a far cry from the chapters immediately preceding it because, rather than relying on speed (like the 3 or 4 previous ones), it required patience, so it was a nice change of pace (although I’m not sure about putting a defense level immediately after a bunch of speed levels).

Character Balance: -Mages have almost no combat utility. Of course, most of their time is spent healing anyway. But, generally, they were too squishy to fight anything with ranged weapons, and too slow to be safe attacking at almost any time. If that makes sense.

-Needing 2-3 friendlies to murder 1 enemy (on average) is fine, but almost never being able to fully kill a single enemy with one friendly, just to clear off some pressure, is somewhat debilitating, particularly on the time limit levels (only Claudio and Calem were capable of that, against cavalry and armors. Those with bows were utterly incapable of ORKO-ing fliers without the brave bow). I admit that I’m used to playing on the easiest sort of difficulties in Fire Emblem games, whenever possible, so really I’m just unused to not having a team of gods.

-Claudio ended up being my most reliable character.

-Thank you for the game-start convoy.

Story: -A very standard Fire Emblem plot, so if that’s what you were going for you succeeded. It’s functional.

Overall: I mention the time limit a lot, so I might be subconsciously annoyed by it. I honestly don’t know, but take from that what you will?

I found that the primary strength of this hack is that it is, for all intents and purposes, balanced (in my opinion, obviously. Nothing was impossible, and it wasn’t Sacred Stones easy). However, as DuwaShuwana said, it plays rather sluggishly. When combined with the pressure of needing to get places quickly, there is a weird sort of impatience. The feeling wasn’t altogether pleasant.

As a whole, the hack felt surprisingly complete for only being 8 chapters (and actually trying to tell a full story). Despite what I’ve said that could be viewed negatively, I enjoyed myself more than not, as it forced me to play with cautious speed instead of my usual way (which fully agrees with Carlyle’s basic strategy). If you keep working on it it's a great start.

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts! I appreciate them. :)

How would you feel about the idea of increasing the number of enemies, but decreasing the enemy quality? Do you think it would help remedy the sluggish feeling if it didn't take so much chipping to take down one dude? Which chapters do you feel are affected by this unpleasant feeling the most?

*sees all the comments*

While I haven't played the hack yet, the most I can say right now is don't get too discouraged. This hack is still in it's early stages, and there is a lot of time, and room to improve. I think this hack has potential from what i've seen so far.

*sees all the comments*

While I haven't played the hack yet, the most I can say right now is don't get too discouraged. This hack is still in it's early stages, and there is a lot of time, and room to improve. I think this hack has potential from what i've seen so far.

Exactly my thoughts!

When it comes to hacking, it's very hard to be perfect in the early stages of it!

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts! I appreciate them. :)

How would you feel about the idea of increasing the number of enemies, but decreasing the enemy quality? Do you think it would help remedy the sluggish feeling if it didn't take so much chipping to take down one dude? Which chapters do you feel are affected by this unpleasant feeling the most?

I feel that quantity over quality would definitely help with the sluggishness, since it would feel like more is happening (read: more and faster killing, yay!). In retrospect, though, I rather like the idea of fighting armies composed of units that are more or less the equal of my own, but I’m not sure how well that can be executed in a game like Fire Emblem while only working with the basic functions.

Chapters 3-5 are where the unpleasantness hits the hardest, in my opinion, probably because of the time limit. Of those three, 3 is probably fine since it’s more or less a surprise, and for me it was just sort of like “whoa, okay I figured that’d happen, but still. Yikes.” 4 is a little less fine because now it’s confirmed that you’re basically in a guillotine, and the pressure’s on. 5 is where it hits worst: you’re in a guillotine, there are items to get all over the place, the boss is basically unkillable in a timely fashion without using particular weapons, and who knows where any of the units who use those weapons are by the time the death bell tolls. It may have been your intention for this to be so, but I finished all three of those chapters literally on the last possible turn, which I don’t like but that’s just me (and obviously that isn't necessarily indicative of bad design or anything).

The feeling is also sort of in chapters 6 and 7, but for them, I think, it’s more impatience. For 6, I'm pretty sure it’s just that defense aspect, and I don’t imagine you could do anything about it without completely changing the chapter (and as I’ve already said, I like that chapter in particular D:). For 7, I’m not sure. It might be the layout of the map?

All that business being said, I hope this is useful, and I really hope I’m not coming across as too hard or anything. I rather like the hack, and am just excited to see it become more polished.

*sees all the comments*

Exactly my thoughts!

When it comes to hacking, it's very hard to be perfect in the early stages of it!

Thanks for the support, you two! :)

I feel that quantity over quality would definitely help with the sluggishness, since it would feel like more is happening (read: more and faster killing, yay!). In retrospect, though, I rather like the idea of fighting armies composed of units that are more or less the equal of my own, but I’m not sure how well that can be executed in a game like Fire Emblem while only working with the basic functions.

Chapters 3-5 are where the unpleasantness hits the hardest, in my opinion, probably because of the time limit. Of those three, 3 is probably fine since it’s more or less a surprise, and for me it was just sort of like “whoa, okay I figured that’d happen, but still. Yikes.” 4 is a little less fine because now it’s confirmed that you’re basically in a guillotine, and the pressure’s on. 5 is where it hits worst: you’re in a guillotine, there are items to get all over the place, the boss is basically unkillable in a timely fashion without using particular weapons, and who knows where any of the units who use those weapons are by the time the death bell tolls. It may have been your intention for this to be so, but I finished all three of those chapters literally on the last possible turn, which I don’t like but that’s just me (and obviously that isn't necessarily indicative of bad design or anything).

The feeling is also sort of in chapters 6 and 7, but for them, I think, it’s more impatience. For 6, I'm pretty sure it’s just that defense aspect, and I don’t imagine you could do anything about it without completely changing the chapter (and as I’ve already said, I like that chapter in particular D:). For 7, I’m not sure. It might be the layout of the map?

All that business being said, I hope this is useful, and I really hope I’m not coming across as too hard or anything. I rather like the hack, and am just excited to see it become more polished.

Thanks for answering those questions! Your posts have been very useful. I'm glad to have the constructive criticism!

I'm only a few chapters in so I'll post more once I complete it. I think increasing the quantity, while reducing the "quality" of enemies, would just create another different problem. Key is balance, and it will really come with trial and error. Like I said I'm only 3 chapters in, but for those chapters, I say increase the density of the enemies and maybe throw a few more units in too. Fire emblem likes to throw a bunch of weaker enemy groups everywhere, and once in a while throw a really strong enemy unit it, or a decent unit with a twist, like a reaver or slayer weapon. OR a strong unit with a twist =P Never a bad strategy, keeps things at a nice pace where your always dealing with units, then once in a while makes things tough.

I'm not a modder but I play a lot of mods, and it kinda sucks cuz everyone has different opinions and you get tons of conflicting feedback. Personally, I say throw hordes of badass enemies that make everyone rage fest =P but then I'd be your only fan lol.

Oh and I think you need to increase the reinforcements and place them better ( again I'm only up to ch3 ). I mean the ones in the first chapter come out right before I killed the boss, and they were on the complete other side of the map.

Enjoying it so far! Definitely needs some polishing, but that's to be expected for a first release. Might take me a while, time is not my friend, but I'll post more when I finish it up.

I'm only a few chapters in so I'll post more once I complete it. I think increasing the quantity, while reducing the "quality" of enemies, would just create another different problem. Key is balance, and it will really come with trial and error. Like I said I'm only 3 chapters in, but for those chapters, I say increase the density of the enemies and maybe throw a few more units in too. Fire emblem likes to throw a bunch of weaker enemy groups everywhere, and once in a while throw a really strong enemy unit it, or a decent unit with a twist, like a reaver or slayer weapon. OR a strong unit with a twist =P Never a bad strategy, keeps things at a nice pace where your always dealing with units, then once in a while makes things tough.

I'm not a modder but I play a lot of mods, and it kinda sucks cuz everyone has different opinions and you get tons of conflicting feedback. Personally, I say throw hordes of badass enemies that make everyone rage fest =P but then I'd be your only fan lol.

Oh and I think you need to increase the reinforcements and place them better ( again I'm only up to ch3 ). I mean the ones in the first chapter come out right before I killed the boss, and they were on the complete other side of the map.

Enjoying it so far! Definitely needs some polishing, but that's to be expected for a first release. Might take me a while, time is not my friend, but I'll post more when I finish it up.

Thanks for the insight on the enemy placement! Especially on having weaker groups of enemies while having strong enemies once in a while. Maybe I can increase enemy density by adding weak enemies around the existing enemies. Hopefully that could help reduce the sluggish feeling people are having while still retaining the current balance.

I'm glad you're enjoying it so far!

• 2 weeks later...

Yo!

Version 1.2 is out now. I haven't spent a lot of time on the hack lately so there's not a whole lot of changes.

First, Claudio and Silvaro both have new, much better portraits! Huge thanks to DuwaShuwana for making them!

And then some characters got some tweaks:

Claudio

+1 move

+6 base skill

+2 base defense

+2 base luck

Silvaro

+2 base skill

Timoteo

+4 base res

+20% res growth

Gertrude

Weapon ranks changed from B Lances, D Axes to A Axes, D Lances.

• 2 weeks later...

Greatly enjoyed the hack even though it was short. I rarely pay attention to plot in fire emblem because im more of a gameplay guy so i usually just skim through dialogue but once i found out the queen was getting...used... I had to reread lol. Really enjoyed the chapters where astra's clone rushed in and gave incentive to move. Hope to see another one of your works!

Greatly enjoyed the hack even though it was short. I rarely pay attention to plot in fire emblem because im more of a gameplay guy so i usually just skim through dialogue but once i found out the queen was getting...used... I had to reread lol. Really enjoyed the chapters where astra's clone rushed in and gave incentive to move. Hope to see another one of your works!

Great! I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

Thanks for the feedback!