Hollywood Monster Hunter Movie announced at TGS

The DanMan

11 members have voted

1. 1. How badly do you think it will suck?

• It'll be eh.
    • It'll be bad.
    • It'll be really bad.
    • It'll be cringe-worthy awful.
    • It may be decent.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/09/15/hollywood-movie-monster-hunter-series-underway/

"during a Monster Hunter Stories event at Tokyo Game Show, Ryozo Tsujimoto casually announced it by saying 'this might not have anything to do with Monster Hunter Stories, but a Hollywood film for the main series is underway.'"

Why?

No video game movie has ever been good. Most of them have been awful, with the rare few approaching decency.

I'm just hoping this doesn't harm the series in the West.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/09/15/hollywood-movie-monster-hunter-series-underway/

"during a Monster Hunter Stories event at Tokyo Game Show, Ryozo Tsujimoto casually announced it by saying 'this might not have anything to do with Monster Hunter Stories, but a Hollywood film for the main series is underway.'"

Why?

No video game movie has ever been good. Most of them have been awful, with the rare few approaching decency.

I'm just hoping this doesn't harm the series in the West.

We are approaching the Sony Spiderman era of VG movies. I don't think it'll be any better than average, but SMB movie this ain't. We need a few more to get to the kinda okay range, like National Treasure 2, but the genre is close.

We are approaching the Sony Spiderman era of VG movies. I don't think it'll be any better than average, but SMB movie this ain't. We need a few more to get to the kinda okay range, like National Treasure 2, but the genre is close.

Last time I checked, Warcraft and Kingsglaive (the two most recent VG movies) were critically panned. I haven't seen anything to inspire confidence that a videogame movie could work.

The Warcraft movie was good (it broke the metaphorical curse on all video game movies), and the Assasin's Creed movie looks like it might be good, so I wouldn't be so quick to say that a Monster Hunter movie would suck. That being said, the makers of Warcraft worked closely with Blizzard (and half the people who made it were fans of the games), and Assasin's Creed is being made by Ubisoft's own motion pictures division, so they knew/know what they're doing, and Warcraft is really an exception to the rule.

By the way, to the person who posted above, Warcraft was only critically panned in North America, and even then, never has there been such a great divide between critic reviews and movie reviews as was the case with Warcraft. Most critic reviews were, "This is a video game movie; therefore it is a bad movie. (not an actual quote)" They were just laughable and obviously biased against the movie. I saw Warcraft in the theatres with as few expectations as possible, and, it wasn't perfect (Universal Studios cut 40 minutes out of the film), but it was pretty darn good. I have not seen or even heard of Kingsglaive, so there's nothing I can say about that, but I can say Warcraft is a good film despite Universal studios, and there is a reason Blizzard has stated that, if they make a sequel, they will keep working with Legendary but not Universal.

Edited by vanguard333

Warcraft is exceptionally bad. It doesnt worthy enough to be called a movie at all. It should be the one episode live action show they show on Disney Channel, for kids. I have never seen such bad acting for a while. It suffers from overplotted with too many relationships, too many sub-plots but too little times to properly expand, too many cringe-worthy fight scenes and super lame CG. However, since its target are oldies who are cursed by the nostalgia and WoW/Hearthstone fanboys so obviously many people will let its faults slip off. Warcraft is literally a piece of shit. At least it's a fun and enjoyable stupid movie so you can laugh at its stupidity while watching it. It's like The Hobbit if The Hobbit has ten times less budget, ten times less efforts, ten times less talented staff, ten times less competent writer and ten times more advertised.

The only good point of Warcraft is it very loyal to the material source. People watching it dont feel they are betrayed. It didnt butcher the material source at all. Although I dont like how Garona is so human-ish. She should be more monster-ish consider she is a half orc-half draenei. She has so many human features in the movie, especially her eyes. Many people I talked to all thought she is a half orc-half human which is sad. The staff knew what they are doing with the material source but they didnt know how to make a real movie.

Blizzard sticks with Legendary because it's cheaper. That's all.

Edited by Magical CC

Addressing this to Magical CC: Are you a troll, just looking for an argument, or one of the critics I mentioned? I know the answer is probably neither of those things, but the fact is Warcraft was not a bad movie at all.

1. I mentioned that it wasn't perfect (mostly thanks to Universal making stupid decisions like cutting forty minutes (and, yes, that was Univeral's fault; as was the less-than-good marketing) that would have gone towards those very sub-plots you just mentioned). But overall it was a good movie.

2. The acting was largely good. The actor who played Anduin Lothar was good, the actors who played young Khadgar and Medivh were both good. The actors who played the Orcs were pretty darn good (especially Durotan and Gul'dan). The only not-so-good ones I can remember are the King and Lothar's son.

3. The CGI was not bad!!!!! The CGI was incredibly detailed, the magic spells were excellently done, and just look at the orcs! You could see body hairs and battle scars; it was that detailed. The CGI was excellent. I would almost say comparable to Avatar; actually, I'll be bold and say it was comparable to Avatar.

4. I will concede that the Lothar x Garona romance was forced. But, other than that, the relationships were good and benefitted the story. Friendships such as that between Durotan and Orgrimm, and that between Lothar and Khadgar really helped the story.

5. The story was good. The fact that the story is not over is not one bit a bad thing, and there was enough plot that one could keep up with most of it even if they had never even heard of the games. Yes, there could have been more worldbuilding (most of it was in those 40 minutes Universal cut), but there was enough left to know what was going on. Furthermore, One could quickly understand the characters and their motivations, and certain scenes that I'm not going to mention in case of spoilers, were truly saddening to watch. The story was not perfect, but it was pretty darn good, and can be expected to only get better now that Universal''s no longer part of it. And no, Blizzard's sticking with Legendary because Universal sucked and gave the film no chances at all.

Finally, I would like to point out that I am not an "oldie cursed by nostalgia" or a "WoW/Hearthstone fanboy." I have played WoW, but not that much (I stopped playing about a month before I started University), and, honestly, while I did know a fair bit of the plot, I went in with zero expectations, knowing it could have been good, just another video game movie, or anywhere in between, and I was not disappointed (and I prefer when movies have lots of plot).

So yeah, in both my and many other people's opinion, Warcraft was a good movie. Yes, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But to say only "oldies cursed by nostalgia" or "WoW/Hearthstone fanboys" liked the movie is just plain wrong.

EDIT: Besides, this thread isn't about the Warcraft movie, but the upcoming Monster Hunter movie. I only mentioned it to point out that at least one good video game movie does exist.

Edited by vanguard333

Addressing this to Magical CC: Are you a troll, just looking for an argument, or one of the critics I mentioned? I know the answer is probably neither of those things, but the fact is Warcraft was not a bad movie at all.

1. I mentioned that it wasn't perfect (mostly thanks to Universal making stupid decisions like cutting forty minutes (and, yes, that was Univeral's fault; as was the less-than-good marketing) that would have gone towards those very sub-plots you just mentioned). But overall it was a good movie.

2. The acting was largely good. The actor who played Anduin Lothar was good, the actors who played young Khadgar and Medivh were both good. The actors who played the Orcs were pretty darn good (especially Durotan and Gul'dan). The only not-so-good ones I can remember are the King and Lothar's son.

3. The CGI was not bad!!!!! The CGI was incredibly detailed, the magic spells were excellently done, and just look at the orcs! You could see body hairs and battle scars; it was that detailed. The CGI was excellent. I would almost say comparable to Avatar; actually, I'll be bold and say it was comparable to Avatar.

4. I will concede that the Lothar x Garona romance was forced. But, other than that, the relationships were good and benefitted the story. Friendships such as that between Durotan and Orgrimm, and that between Lothar and Khadgar really helped the story.

5. The story was good. The fact that the story is not over is not one bit a bad thing, and there was enough plot that one could keep up with most of it even if they had never even heard of the games. Yes, there could have been more worldbuilding (most of it was in those 40 minutes Universal cut), but there was enough left to know what was going on. Furthermore, One could quickly understand the characters and their motivations, and certain scenes that I'm not going to mention in case of spoilers, were truly saddening to watch. The story was not perfect, but it was pretty darn good, and can be expected to only get better now that Universal''s no longer part of it. And no, Blizzard's sticking with Legendary because Universal sucked and gave the film no chances at all.

Finally, I would like to point out that I am not an "oldie cursed by nostalgia" or a "WoW/Hearthstone fanboy." I have played WoW, but not that much (I stopped playing about a month before I started University), and, honestly, while I did know a fair bit of the plot, I went in with zero expectations, knowing it could have been good, just another video game movie, or anywhere in between, and I was not disappointed (and I prefer when movies have lots of plot).

So yeah, in both my and many other people's opinion, Warcraft was a good movie. Yes, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But to say only "oldies cursed by nostalgia" or "WoW/Hearthstone fanboys" liked the movie is just plain wrong.

EDIT: Besides, this thread isn't about the Warcraft movie, but the upcoming Monster Hunter movie. I only mentioned it to point out that at least one good video game movie does exist.

1. Cut or not. It's a horrible movie.

2. The acting suck, all of them. The king, the queen and especially the son of Aduin are the worst. Luckily, all of the orcs except Garona has so-so acting (because they are not real).

3. The CGI is super bad. Do you bother looking at the golem, the effect of the magics and especially the "grand" battles? It's not just bad. It's super bad.

4. Do you even bother counting how many relationship there are with every relationship only mentioned for a brief minute or two before everything is over?

5. The story is....a tragedy. Okay, it's not bad. It's good for a Disney home movie if that is what you want.

6. You mentioned the Warcraft movie first so I simply replied. Just like this post.

Edited by Magical CC

1. No, it was not a horrible movie. And even if it was (which it wasn't), it was certainly far better than any other video game movie (though I'll admit that the bar is set very, very low in that regard). Unlike any other video game movie, the creators actually put some real effort into it and worked closely with the people who made the movie. The directing was good, the script was pretty decent, and certain scenes that I can't mention without spoilers were truly surprising and great to watch. It stayed relatively true to the source material while also being its own story. Also, the fact that it was cut does matter. For example: 30 minutes were cut from Batman V Superman, and ask anyone, regardless of whether or not they liked the movie, and they'll say the director's cut was significantly better than the theatrical version.

2. I will gladly admit (in fact I already did admit) that some of the actors who played human characters weren't that good. Fortunately (spoiler; do not read what's in these brackets if you haven't seen the movie: all the bad actors were killed off in this movie and as such won't be in a sequel), and to say all actors on the human side were bad just because of a few is nonsense. Anduin Lothar was good, as were the two mages. A couple bad actors does not a bad movie or show make. People love Star Trek the Original Series even though Shatner is infamous for, among other things, overacting way too much.

3. I already mentioned the effects of the magic, and they were actually among the better displays of magic in a movie. The golem was not bad (I personally would've preferred one of those stone & fell burning legion monsters, but that's not a criticism of the graphics). How were the grand battles bad, and, if they were, isn't that a choreography problem, not a CGI one? Did you see the detail on the Orcs, the effects of the magic, and especially the griffin? The CGI was not just good, it was super good.

4. Hm... Let's see: Durotan and his wife; a significant story particularly revolving around their child Go'el/Thrall that is repeatedly focused on. The friendship between Durotan and Orgrimm Doomhammer; not as significant, but again frequently mentioned and shown and significantly affected a particular scene. The friendship between Khadgar and Anduin Lothar; slowly developed throughout the movie and frequently shown throughout the story. The friendship between Anduin and Medivh; mentioned when Anduin visits Medivh, and assisted the story (spoiler: it made Anduin shocked when Medivh didn't lift the spell so Anduin could save his son during the ambush. Khadgar had warned Anduin prior, but it wasn't until that moment that Anduin began to suspect something was wrong with Medivh, largely thanks to that friendship). Let's see... any more... oh yes, the not-exactly-friendship between Anduin and his brother-in-law the King of Stormwind. (Spoiler: the fact that Anduin knew the king personally was not necessarily important, but it did make him all the more saddened by the king's death). Lothar x Garona; this one did feel forced and I do wish they had they kept it as a surprising friendship, and, while it was just that, it was alright, and it wasn't "mentioned for a brief or two before everything is over." Lothar and his son; they maybe could have done a bit more, but his son wasn't exactly a major character, and it was mentioned and shown more than once, and played significantly towards certain moments. Any else... Well, there was that brief scene between the Queen and Garona, but that actually was okay. It gave Garona the knife, for one thing, and it was an act of kindness towards a captured prisoner. It wasn't really a relationship. So yes I counted just now, and almost of them are significant and appear more than once.

5. The plot was good. But I am not going to go in-depth into that again because I went quite in-depth last time. I will just say that one of the most important things to me in a movie is a good plot and good characters, and Warcraft had both (in fact it had a lot more plot than quite a few action movies).

6. Yes I will admit my statement could have been worded a little better. Perhaps, "Besides, regardless of what each of us thinks of Warcraft, this thread isn't about Warcraft, but the Monster Hunter film, so let's talk about that instead" would have been a little better. Yes, I understand that you were simply replying. I guess I'm a little too used to trolls on other forums. I apologize.