FE: Fates Review

Melissa

Intro: Welcome to my review of Fire Emblem: Fates wherein I will share with you, what I liked, didn't like, and everything in between. Let's get stared!

Story: Choose a path!

Gameplay: An SRPG that introduces new objectives with each chapters and choice that affect the story's direction. A first for the Fire Emblem series.

The Good:

Graphics: A huge step up from Awakening, for one the characters are more lively, more detailed and visibly show emotion for the first time since Radiant Dawn. Character models are also a million times more detailed. I wish I could the say the same of the level design, though, it feels bland in comparison to what Awakening.

Music: Enjoyable but as not listen-able on repeat as Awakening's, at least in my opinion.

The Bad:

Story: The three paths are straightforward to the untrained eye, but as someone who plays for story, I have enough problem with Fates' writing for an "Everything Wrong With..." video, I'll not spoil what those problems are for those who haven't played the game. Basically, following exposition, you're forced to choose between the two warring nations of Hoshido and Nohr, with a third choice that essentially has you going neutral. Each one of them affects the direction the rest of the story takes. If only the paths weren't pre-determined by your purchase...

Support system: What led to this review, Fates' support system that's broken and poorly-executed, best example is support rank A+. A character can only reach this with one other character, sometimes the unintended one. This can completely screw a character out of a certain class. Marriage works much the same way, though both parties gain a new class. Speaking of marriage, second generation units return in this game, though their presence is explained as poorly as Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric is programmed, leading to controversy. The kids don't even impact the story like they did in Awakening!

The Ugly:

MyCastle and online play: Whilst Awakening had the Star Fox-esque straight path to the finish, Fates introduces the customizable MyCastle, which acts as a resting area in between chapters, it's where you obtain, buy and sell items through the buildings you can add to it. It's also where you access the game's online features, though that it's own can of worms.

Multiple versions: The selling point of Fates is its choose-a-path system which was supposed to be a simple in-game mechanic. It ended up turning into Pokemon Emblem and it certainly shows which certain characters and other elements only appearing in certain versions of the game. Needless to say, no one, especially not me, is a fan of this. I absolutely hate having to pay extra for a full-priced retail game.

Conclusion: Fire Emblem: Fates is a game with as many problems as good things, though the good will be more noticeable than the bad, at least to a casual fan. I recommend this to longtime fans for its story and higher overall difficulty and for beginners who just want to experience the game without having to worry about RNJesus. Either way, the path is yours to climb.

I really have to disagree on how gameplay is better than awakening, especially in the Conquest version.

like take CH 16 as an example, you start the map with 10,000G, and every turn it takes you to finish cost you 300G, so the faster you complete it the better the reward with a higher risk of loseing a character.

and CH 12. The game gives you 16 turns to escape with your avatar and the pots give buffs and debufs based on what it is. once you reach the dragons vein if you activate it the reinforcements will have an easier path to reach you and you free up the archers traped behind the pots, this also gives you and the enemy the same advantage

Support system: What led to this review, Fates' support system that's broken and poorly-executed, best example is support rank A+. A character can only reach this with one other character, sometimes the unintended one. This can completely screw a character out of a certain class.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, especially the part about an "unintended" partner. The game warns you that you can only get A+ support and asks for confirmation when you go for it so it's difficult to do by accident, and it certainly isn't the game's fault if you do.

Personally I really like gaining access to classes via A+ and S, it adds a layer of customization that wasn't present for first-gen units in Awakening.

I really have to disagree on how gameplay is better than awakening, especially in the Conquest version.

like take CH 16 as an example, you start the map with 10,000G, and every turn it takes you to finish cost you 300G, so the faster you complete it the better the reward with a higher risk of loseing a character.

and CH 12. The game gives you 16 turns to escape with your avatar and the pots give buffs and debufs based on what it is. once you reach the dragons vein if you activate it the reinforcements will have an easier path to reach you and you free up the archers traped behind the pots, this also gives you and the enemy the same advantage

I'm not sure he actually evaluated the gameplay in the main game, let alone compared it to awakening positively or negatively? (kind of an important thing for a review of fates to touch on, imo)

Gardy, you wrote a review! Is that a first?

Unfortunately, this review is kinda lacking. In particular, there are several points you brought up but didn't resolve.

Some things to fix...

- You say the level design is more bland than Awakening... but how is it more bland?

- The "Story" section starts with a massive run-on sentence that flows badly. It should be separated into complete sentences that read naturally.

- If supports work like they did in Awakening, then how can it be hard to avoid an unwanted A+ support?

- In "The Ugly", you failed to mention what was wrong with My Castle.

- You mention online features and dismiss them in the same sentence. What's the point of that?

- Your conclusion might've been good if I had a much better idea of how you reached it.

As someone who didn't play Fates, I do not feel your review informed me adequately. I must rate it 4/10. Sorry. : [

Edited by Zera

Are you sure you posted this on the right website? All of the information in your 'review' is common knowledge for anyone on this website and offers nothing in the way of a deeper understanding, appreciation or critique of the game. Not much to discuss here.

What you guys missed was that the "level design" comment was in the graphics section. A bit confusing, I know, but the OP probably meant how much the maps were visually pleasing.

Awakening maps, while they play worse than many of those in Fates, look quite a bit nicer. The textures within maps of Fates seem to be of a lesser quality, possibly due to the fact that you can have a closeup of a battle anywhere? I thought Awakening had visually distinct maps, whereas Fates had most of it's maps just blend together in my memory.

Edited by Slyfox