The Worst Mistake You Made When You First Started Playing FE

Captain Karnage

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, uh, let everyone die, because I was shit at tactics back then.

But I paid for my insolence dealt with the consequences of my actions and never once restarted a chapter unless I gameover'd, and I'm proud of past-me for having that resolve, considering how even series veterans tend to not like playing ironman...

I skipped the pre-combat forecast during my first playthrough of SD- not intentionally, I'd just button mash through it so fast that I didn't even see it.

Needless to say, I learned a lot through trial and error.

Didn't realize you could recruit specific enemy units, immediately killing Gaius and Tharja before ultimately realizing with Cynthia.

I was gonna say "putting my healers in harms way", but then I realised I did that too. Except I realised with Tharja, because I'd seen people talk about her online and knew you could recruit her. I still killed her the first time though, and then reset to get her. Still had to do my first Awakening playthrough without Gaius though.

For quite a while I thought Dancer/Bard/Heron units were absolutely useless and refused to include them in any battles.

Same here, I never used Dancers before Olivia in Awakening.

Being a complete stupid asshole of an eleven year old and assuming enemies would ignore healers because the AI wouldn't think they were worth the effort to kill. Of course, an enemy would go after the defenseless, annoying healer unit first! It's, like, one of the most fundamental laws of any game ever!

But, yeah, essentially putting healers in harms' way.

...I'm sorry, Rhys.

Promoting as soon as a unit hit level 10. "Isn't this awesome? My Swordmaster can dodge all of these bandits!" Low benchmark, past me...

I blame Wallace for my foolishness.

Edited by NekoKnight

I didnt fight with my lord because I wanted to keep them out of danger

This, so much this. Also, the first time I ever used the character selection screen I ended up deselecting everyone because I somehow convinced myself that gray meant the exact opposite of what it actually does. Artur and Eirika didn't last very long against the monsters...

I thought Seth and Marcus sucked and that Amelia and Nino were the strongest units in all of Fire Emblem. I also thought Armor knights were the best class in the series and that horse units were underwhelming. I also took pride in achieving turncounts of 20-30. I thought all pre-promoted units sucked.

Then everything changed when I watched dondon and mekkah's Fe 6 run

Edited by Valkarian

I let Erk die in the final chapter my very first playthrough. I thought it was okay since it was the last level, but then that blank character epilogue killed me. I had to immediately play through the game again to make sure no one died.

Didn't realize you could recruit specific enemy units, immediately killing Gaius and Tharja before ultimately realizing with Cynthia.

I had it worse. During Cynthia's recruitment chapter, I killed her and ended up losing four more units in the process of beating the chapter. I also failed to talk to Morgan and let Yarne die. Curse me for not knowing how useful the kids could be.

Edited by twistedxgrace

Assuming that when someone hits 0 hp, they will merely take a break for a few battles. That was FE7 btw, whose tutorial is very misleading about this core principal, as every "death" results in a special conversation at the end of the chapter that clarifies that the person is still alive and kicking. I finally managed to catch on to this when Erk "died" and he said that he was going to leave the group altogether. By the time that happened, I had barely anyone left so I started again from the very beginning. Which turned out to be yet another mistake, as I was already at chapter 9 and I could have easily soloed the rest of the tutorial with Wallace.

Edited by BrightBow