Serenes Forest Interviews Lady Corrin w/ AMA Event! [Closed]

Elieson

PSA: Questions don't need to be FE or Fates related and you're free to ask as many as you like!

Some of you have been talking to me on the side, and were aware of a little surprise I was working on for SF. Well, it's about time I shared it with everyone :)

As you probably already know, the English version of Fire Emblem Fates was released a little under seven months ago (February 19th, 2016). Since the game's release, popularity for the franchise once again jumped, as fans of the series flocked to the streets to pick up copies for themselves. Interest skyrocketed during the game's initial release in Japan and here in the US when the protagonist, Corrin, was revealed. Heck, I myself found myself drawn to the female version of Corrin, due to my use of the game as a stellar strategy game and a great reading tool to help my daughter learn to read.

Marcella_Lentz-Pope-200x300.jpg

I found myself fortunate enough to have a chat with Marcella Lentz-Pope, the voice actress of Corrin, and while things just started off as an interview, I'd say we've established a friendship, too! She's voice Scarlet and Corrin (Female) in both Fire Emblem Fates & Super Smash Bros for Wii U & 3DS, so just on this alone, I'd say she's already quite accomplished! She's super friendly, and I'm definitely glad that we had this chance to chat!

FemCorrin_SF_By_Samias-706x1024.jpg

If you think you recognized her voice from somewhere but just can't put your finger on it, you might recognize her from other games such as Halo:Reach (Sara), Moira Burton (Resident Evil: Revelations 2) and League of Legends (Kindred), or from television series like The Fosters (Chloe Hendricks), Criminal Minds (Emma Phelps) and Avatar: The Last Airbender (Jin).

After the interview, Marcella was kind enough to accept my offer to join our forum and participate in an Ask Me Anything (AMA) event, and you can only assume how ecstatic I am about that!

[spoiler=Our Interview]

Chris "Elieson" Offner: What are some of your favorite things about being a voice actress?

Marcella Lentz-Pope: There are quite a few things I love about voice acting. Getting to create a voice and character from nothing is very special and really just so much fun. And when it comes down to it, that’s what matters, I have so much fun doing my job! I also love that I’m following in my dad’s footsteps. (Tony Pope was a big VO actor who voiced Goofy, Furby and many many others). Every time I'm in the studio behind the mic I think of how proud he would be of me.

(CO): You’ve done lots of work as a voice actress, and you’ve also been an actress in live action movies. Do you see yourself pursuing any particular focus, or do you enjoy both roles?

(MLP): I love doing it all! I think that’s the wonderful thing about being an actor, your job is transforming into someone else. Whether that’s on stage, in film, in a video game… I love performing and I love creating, so as long as I’m given the opportunity to work in any medium I will take it. But Voice overs do hold a special place in my heart. I’ve been doing it professionally the longest, since I was 8 years old.

(CO): What would you say you’re move proud of as far as your past performances?

(MLP): I’m proud of a lot I have done, I think it’s important to appreciate you’re own work. But If I had to choose something specific I would say my work for League of Legends. It was a very unique recording experience since I got to work with another actor in the booth and not just speaking to myself. Myself and the creative team at Riot worked on a couple variations of my character and it was so great to hear (and see) the final product. And it’s really wonderful seeing how much others appreciate and enjoy my work as well.

(CO): You’ve done lots of work for some pretty big names (Disney, Nintendo). What’s it like working for them?

(MLP): To be honest it’s just like working for any other company except there’s more paperwork. But you do also get the feeling of working for something legendary.

(CO): How about the job itself? Is it difficult doing what you do?

(MLP): Yes it can be. Sometimes it can be vocally stressing and I will lose my voice, which means I’m not doing my job properly. It can also take a little longer to find the character, that right voice that the client hears in their head and you have to create from the words they use to describe it. I guess that’s something that every actor worries about “am I giving them what they want, do they like me”. No matter how long I’ve been in this industry the same thoughts always come into my head.

(CO): Based on my research, you don’t seem to do that much voice work for video games. I recently watched Avatar: The Last Airbender and caught your voice as Jin, (where it was spelled differently from how I expected it to be, which is why it stuck out to me), but I haven’t heard you in many game or animated series related roles. How did you end up getting involved with the voice work for Fire Emblem Fates?

(MLP): Hmmm that’s weird as I mostly do video games! I’ve done about 6 or so video games this past year alone. How I get involved with any project is usually the same way. Either I audition for it through my agent or the director and/or casting director request me. Now that I’m doing more and more projects some companies are requesting me based on work I’ve done. I believe for Fates the director had requested me as I’ve worked with her many times before.

(CO): What was it like doing the voice work as Corrin in the three Fire Emblem Fates games and Super Smash Bros?

(MLP): Voicing Corrin was so much fun! She has a lot of energy and a lot of the work was doing “efforts”, which is what we call all the grunting and screaming and hitting others and being hit. If I remember correctly we had 2 recording days and they were very relaxed and low key sessions. Everyone was enjoying themselves and it wasn’t tense at all, which sometimes you get that feeling from the client. She kicks ass (literally). And I love playing women who kick ass.

(CO): What about Scarlet? Was it an easy transition to do two different kinds of voices for the same game?

(MLP): Scarlet is very different from Corrin, a completely different character and voice so it was never an issue. She has a whole different attitude and swagger about herself, which I love!

(CO): Did you get to play the game after doing voice work for it? What did you think of the game and the characters that you “are”? Is it weird to listen to yourself?

(MLP): I haven’t gotten to play the game personally! I’ve watched some others play it online in tutorials trying to figure it out! It’s always a little weird hearing yourself, I can get very critical. But it’s also great seeing it come together and knowing you had a part in making it happen.

(CO): Do you have any other projects you can share with us that you’re working on?

(MLP): I’ve recorded a couple other video games recently but… I can’t talk bout them just yet. But I think everyone will be very excited about them ;)

(CO): Is there anything else you’d like to add before wrapping things up?

(MLP): From the bottom of my heart, thank you for playing and for all the beautiful and kind words said about my work. I love entertaining, and having people react so well and enjoy playing or “being” me in a video game is the best compliment. Soon I’m going to start going to conventions so I’ll be able to meet fans and players in person… Which I can not wait to do. Thanks again! xo Marcella

This'll be open for several days, so please keep it civil and let's all make this a memory worth remembering! Marcella is TheRealMLP on our forum, so keep your eyes out for responses from her :)

Follow & support Marcella on her Facebook

Track Marcella's history on her IMDB page

Artwork by Serenes Forest user Samias. See more of her work at her Tumblr and her DeviantArt

Edited by Elieson

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a cool opportunity. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

For Marcella: You say you haven't played Fire Emblem Fates, but have you any experience with playing Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U, particularly with female Corrin? What was it like for you to see the reactions to Corrin being announced as a playable character in the game last year?

I recently watched Avatar: The Last Airbender recently as well, and while I'm here I'd like say I enjoyed your role as Jin too. Just thought I'd mention that! You do great work.

Marcella, how do you feel about

Scarlet's somewhat meaningless plot induced death in the Revelation path?

Moreso, how do you feel about Scarlet's character as a whole? I really wish she had more supports in game, she seems like such a great character who could have really benefitted from more screentime

Hi, welcome to SF! I noticed an issue with your account validating, so I validated it manually, you should be able to post whenever you're ready now. Hopefully you'll get the hang of our forum software lol.

I hope Chris didn't bother you too much!

Q

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the acting/voice acting business, but one thing I've always been curious about is how much the actors/actresses actually get to interact with one another. I assume it varies from project to project (and definitely from medium to medium), but do you get to talk with (or even meet) people working on the same project very often when you're working on, say, a videogame? How much different of an environment is it compared to some of the other industries you've worked in?

Thanks for taking the time to talk with our users and answer questions, and thank you for your contribution to and work on our series!

Edited by Tangerine

@Marcella:

Hopefully I'm not getting into too much non-disclosure stuff, but how did the whole voice acting process go? You mention two recording days, but I would imagine there is some prep work for the lines before recording. Did you get sent the lines beforehand, and was there a lot of communication with the client during that time? Or was it all mostly done on these two days?

And is there a character in any media that you feel would be your dream job to voice?

Edited by Miacis

Greetings Marcella, and thank you for giving the time to do an AMA!

Questions

Out of all your roles that you have done, which roles in voice acting or live acting would you say that you enjoyed the most?

What would you say are hobbies you enjoy doing when there's some free time between roles?

What helped inspire you to take to being an actor?

Edited by Trisitei

Thanks for deciding to do this AMA for us!

First off I absolutely loved your work as Lamb for Kindred in League so really amazing job there!

Questions

How interesting was that having to work with most of the dialogue being an actual conversation between Lamb and Wolf?

What are some memorable lines from your voice work with Kindred/Lamb that stick out to you?

And are there any series you'd want to do voice work for in the future?

This is a cool opportunity. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

For Marcella: You say you haven't played Fire Emblem Fates, but have you any experience with playing Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U, particularly with female Corrin? What was it like for you to see the reactions to Corrin being announced as a playable character in the game last year?

I recently watched Avatar: The Last Airbender recently as well, and while I'm here I'd like say I enjoyed your role as Jin too. Just thought I'd mention that! You do great work.

I'd first like to say thank you to everyone for welcoming me to your forum! It's so cool how these communities are so close and supportive of each other!

@Prince of Iris

I'm embarrassed to say I don't play any video games. I've tried and I'm terrible. I have many friends who play constantly and even work for video game companies and they have tried to teach me but I prefer watching them play. So, sadly, I have no experience playing the games. But I have so much respect for those who understand the complexities and mastered the skill of gaming!

I got such great feedback form fans when Corrin came out and honestly I was just so happy that I didn't disappoint anyone because I know how beloved she and the game is.

And thanks! This is what I love to do so if people enjoy my work, I'm happy :)

Edited by TheRealMLP

Marcella, how do you feel about

Scarlet's somewhat meaningless plot induced death in the Revelation path?

Moreso, how do you feel about Scarlet's character as a whole? I really wish she had more supports in game, she seems like such a great character who could have really benefitted from more screentime

I love Scarlet! As much as I love Corrin I think I enjoyed voicing Scarlet a little more. There is something about scarlet that leaves you wanting more and I like that... Maybe that's why, I wanted to work more on her but there just was't as much as with Corrin. I can't address anything about her storyline as I don't know what she's like in the game but I have been told that she is gone too sudden... which is a shame. I love her and definitely wish they would bring her back.

Hi, welcome to SF! I noticed an issue with your account validating, so I validated it manually, you should be able to post whenever you're ready now. Hopefully you'll get the hang of our forum software lol.

I hope Chris didn't bother you too much!

Q

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the acting/voice acting business, but one thing I've always been curious about is how much the actors/actresses actually get to interact with one another. I assume it varies from project to project (and definitely from medium to medium), but do you get to talk with (or even meet) people working on the same project very often when you're working on, say, a videogame? How much different of an environment is it compared to some of the other industries you've worked in?

Thanks for taking the time to talk with our users and answer questions, and thank you for your contribution to and work on our series!

No problem! This is a lot of fun! It's VERY rare that you interact with other actors. It is usually just you alone in the booth per session while the director, engineer, producer/client are in the recording room listening in. They usually book the actors back to back so you'll be able to see who's going in after you and can say a quick hi but that's it. It's fun though cuz you'll never know who you'll run into and it's a very small community. The voice over industry is very different than any other medium in show business. It's much smaller and more casual. Voice over actors are down to earth and fun and very supportive of one another.

Hi!

Did you do all three of the voice options for FemCorrin? If not all three, which one?

Just to answer this, she does Neutral/Voice 1 options for Female Corrin in Fates.

Anyway here are my questions.

1. Did Kris Zimmerman direct your work for Smash Bros. or was it someone else?

2. How close and different were those sessions for Fates and Smash Bros?

3. Did you work with any other voice actors when recording for either of those games?

4. How did you feel when you were asked to record for Smash Bros. and keep such a secret for months?

Thank you, if you answer these questions. And even if you don't I would like to say that you are not only a great voice actor for Corrin and Scarlet, but a great actor. I hope your career will soar to new heights!

To Ms. Lentz-Pope

If there was any other character in the game you think would be fun to voice, who would it be?

I'm not familiar with the other characters but I love playing strong women, silly characters, and kids! Who ever they throw at me I'll do! Coming up with new voices is the best part ;)

@Marcella:

Hopefully I'm not getting into too much non-disclosure stuff, but how did the whole voice acting process go? You mention two recording days, but I would imagine there is some prep work for the lines before recording. Did you get sent the lines beforehand, and was there a lot of communication with the client during that time? Or was it all mostly done on these two days?

And is there a character in any media that you feel would be your dream job to voice?

Hi! Nope! I'm told where and when to go and sometimes not even what the character is. I remember for Fire Emblem I auditioned for 5 or so different roles and I got called that I booked it but was not told for which character. When I arrive they'll let me listen to my audition so I know what I did and what they want and then we cold read the script as we go. Cold read means I have not read any of it or worked on it before recording. I read it outloud for the first time and they record it. Sometimes I'll need to do it again, other times we got it on the first take. It goes pretty fast but sometimes there is a lot of work to do in the 2 or 4 hours they have you booked.

Questions

Out of all your roles that you have done, which roles in voice acting or live acting would you say that you enjoyed the most?

What would you say are hobbies you enjoy doing when there's some free time between roles?

I loved voicing Moira for Resident Evil Revelations 2... I got to curse more than I have ever cursed in my actual life. And I would get to come up with what different ways I could tell someone to f*** off, which was fun. LOL Kindred was a lot of fun too and I got to work with Matt Mercer. And of course Firem Emblem was a lot of fun!!!

Questions

and your other questions!!

I'm a cinefile so I love movies. I'm a dancer as well and I love hula hooping. I'm a world traveler and go somewhere for a month or so at a time and just backpack through not knowing where I'll end up :)

Both my parents are actors and my dad was a pretty big Voice actor (Tony Pope). I've always wanted to be an actor, it's what I love more than anything. And I've been doing voice overs since I was 8! Yikes!

@Marcella

Hi hi!

Is there any voice actor you'd really like to be able to work with above others?

I've been lucky enough to get to work with such talented and amazing voice actors all the time.I don't have anyone in mind but... I haven't worked on a VO project with my mom (Pat Lentz) in awhile and that would be fun. She's super talented and has quite an amazing voice.

Wow, first Rena Strober and now Marcella! Amazing! I'd ask if you and her have talked, but that was kind of answered already.

If you could've voiced another character from Fates, who would it have been?

Edited by Power Master

Hiya!

You did an exceptionally good job of conveying all aspects of Corrin's personality. You really brought something to the character that I never would have expected, so I gotta thank you personally since Corrin is one of my favorite Fire Emblem characters.

I've just gotta ask one thing... You had to record for Smash Bros and Fire Emblem:Fates on the 3DS. Which one did you do first? Were you working with the same voice directors or did you have all new people?

Just to answer this, she does Neutral/Voice 1 options for Female Corrin in Fates.

Anyway here are my questions.

1. Did Kris Zimmerman direct your work for Smash Bros. or was it someone else?

2. How close and different were those sessions for Fates and Smash Bros?

3. Did you work with any other voice actors when recording for either of those games?

4. How did you feel when you were asked to record for Smash Bros. and keep such a secret for months?

Thank you, if you answer these questions. And even if you don't I would like to say that you are not only a great voice actor for Corrin and Scarlet, but a great actor. I hope your career will soar to new heights!

Thank you so much!!!

Yes It Kris Zimmerman directed me, I've worked with her many times over the years and she brings me in on a lot of projects... She's GREAT!

We recorded them a few months apart. I'm used to signing so many non-disclosure agreements and not being able to talk about what I'm working on so it wasn't that hard at the time;)

I recorded everything by myself but I remember Matt Mercer going in after me for one of the recording sessions and then we went and got lunch after :)