Serenes Forest Interviews Lady Corrin w/ AMA Event! [Closed]

Elieson

Marcella, you've been an absolute blast to have aboard, and I'm seeing posts on Tumblr and Twitter and Reddit sharing your presence, showing just how cool this is. I can't thank you enough for joining us!

I have a couple of questions for post-interview, if you don't mind me asking...

• How often do you nail the intended performance on the first try? You've been doing Voicework for practically ever...I wouldn't be surprised to hear that you'd have walked into a studio and knocked out an entire script perfectly on the first run. Same thing for acting, like your time on the big screen.

• Do you have any recordings of you doing the voice work, like in studio? I've seen a few shows that highlight the events that go on "behind the scenes" that always caught my interest, and didn't know if you had any of those that you could share.

Again, thank you soooooooooo much for joining us and being so supportive of the community. If you'll be attending any cons, you should definitely let us know. I'll keep my eyes on your Facebook if you'll share it there, but I'd love to come give you a real life High-5 if I could (if you're in the Texas area, I can make it by super easily). There's fans all over the continent, overseas in Japan, Bangaladesh, Germany, and our site's Head-Admin (VincentASM) is in the UK. We're everywhere and we tend to be a pretty kind bunch~

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6. I'm not sure exactly how to do that, But I will try :)

Oh, if you have a voice recording app on your phone that will be enough! I always record from my phone and upload the file to http://vocaroo.com/ , where you can then get a link to your audio and post it wherever you want. But of course, only do it if you want to! It's more than enough to have you here in the forum already C:

Hello Ms. Marcella! Thank you for taking the time to do this and welcome to the community! I love your work in this game!

I have several questions for you today:

- Why were you interested in your parts?

- Out of all of your lines in Fates, which one was your favorite?

- Are you the ocean's gray waves?

Thanks again!

Hello, Marcella. It's always nice to see entertainers in general that are willing to interact with their audience.

Anyway, my question for you today is this: do you sing at all? If so, is there any vocal part (soprano, alto, etc.) and/or songs in particular that you enjoy performing? I'm asking because, judging from the snippets I've heard in your performance of Lamb in League of Legends, your voice sounds lovely.

Just so everyone knows:

The AMA event will conclude tomorrow, so if you have anything else you'd like to add (users, new visitors, etc), feel free to join us all~

Edited by Elieson

Sometimes given the various confession quotes and the dialogue in the private quarters (particularly the romantic dialogue), I've seen speculation on various forums on whether the voice actors found the dialogue they had to act out cheesy or awkward.

I'd imagine it varies from voice actor to voice actor. How did you find doing Scarlet's romantic lines? (Of course, female Corrin does not have these voiced lines herself, being the player character to whom lines get said).

Also, in the original Japanese version, the Private Quarters feature was significantly more extensive, in that there was a "skinship" mini game, where Corrin (Kamui in the Japanese version) would pet the faces of the various characters with his hand (represented in the mini game with the 3DS stylus) while the character in question would giggle, react to being stroked, moan, etc. This didn't make it into the final localized product, to mixed feelings from the audience (some found it awkward and didn't mind seeing it go, others were disappointed; I won't start a debate here whether that was a good or bad thing).

But anyways, how would you have reacted if the feature HAD been in the localized version and they asked you to also do the stuff for this mini-game in Scarlet's voice as part of your acting as Scarlet? Just curious how you'd react to being asked to do such lines as part of the job.

Example (this isn't for the character you acted, as I couldn't find an example quickly enough, but this shows what it was like in the Japanese version):

EDIT: Oh, yes, shadowofchaos was right… I was forgetting that "Scarlet" was called "Crimson" in Japan. On that note, Marcella, which version (Japan's version or localized version) of your character's names do you prefer?

Kamui vs. Corrin?

Crimson vs. Scarlet?

Edited by astrophys

Ah, I know why you had trouble findingetting a video. Scarlet's name is "Crimson" in JP.

I'd record my own, but I can't access the 3ds capture card.

This is a better video illustrating what they mean, Ms. Marcella.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Very true, but I think they're explained so much better int eh books than in the movies!!

I do, and I love Matt! There are times where they enhance our voices or warp them depending on the character. For instance Matt's character in League of Legends (my partner), was deepened so that it could have that animalistic quality extra hard to it. They'll sometimes add echoes and what not as well, to give it an effect. I thought you were talking about the more realistic sounding voices which are our own. Once and awhile they play around with the pitch etc, but they wouldn't be able to do much without what we give them to begin with ;)

I felt that Harry Potter films (after the 4th) rely too much on visual effects, and they wanted to make maximum profit from them. They could afford John Williams and a better scenario but they did not because was a bit too exansive, when the firsts were less focused on money and more on performance. I did only read Harry Potter 5 and 6 though. I used to read a lot before, but I miss the audio part too much, the tone is too neutral in the books. Music and voices can really change everything, they make the difference between a good film and a memorable one. I do not know why, but I'm more receptive to sounds!

So basically they just improve a bit the quality of the clip ? It's really different from singers that make a brand new voice after post-production :) I did not expect Matt to sing like that either!

Anyway, I'm so glad I had this opportunity to talk with you, I learnt a lot from all the questions people posted here. I was just suprised by the conditions in which companies make VAs work (they should trust you more since you signed a non disclosure contract and give you more time and a full access to the project. I'm even more amazed to hear great voice clips perfectly matching every character's aspect). I'd just like to thank both you for coming here (SF is like a small world) and the Serenes Forest crew for oraginizing that great event! *Applause* And I'm sure everyone will join me to applause too!

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

Plot for sure. I enjoy movies, so if a game was more like a movie I would probably play it ;P

Have you played the Ace Attorney games? If you would rather play games for plot rather than gameplay, this is something I feel you might enjoy.

Hi.

I can't really think of any questions to ask (that haven't already been said), so instead I'll just say that I'm quite impressed with and fond of Ms. Marcella's performance. The "Mother's Death" cutscene in particular gives me chills whenever I watch it.

I hope that you'll be able to grace us with more of your work in the future!

Thankyou Marcella. It has been awesome getting to know you and seeing the answers to some of the questions. I hope to see you in other great roles in the future, and hopefully we can see you here again soon :D

Other than Facebook, are there any other ways we can keep up with your work?

Edited by Elementar

Hello Marcella, Thank you for answering our questions, my question is that which family would you fight for as Corrin, and how do you stay confident as a voice actress when voicing character. If you already answer these question then you don't need to answer it. Thank you in advance

Marcella, you've been an absolute blast to have aboard, and I'm seeing posts on Tumblr and Twitter and Reddit sharing your presence, showing just how cool this is. I can't thank you enough for joining us!

I have a couple of questions for post-interview, if you don't mind me asking...

• How often do you nail the intended performance on the first try? You've been doing Voicework for practically ever...I wouldn't be surprised to hear that you'd have walked into a studio and knocked out an entire script perfectly on the first run. Same thing for acting, like your time on the big screen.

• Do you have any recordings of you doing the voice work, like in studio? I've seen a few shows that highlight the events that go on "behind the scenes" that always caught my interest, and didn't know if you had any of those that you could share.

Again, thank you soooooooooo much for joining us and being so supportive of the community. If you'll be attending any cons, you should definitely let us know. I'll keep my eyes on your Facebook if you'll share it there, but I'd love to come give you a real life High-5 if I could (if you're in the Texas area, I can make it by super easily). There's fans all over the continent, overseas in Japan, Bangaladesh, Germany, and our site's Head-Admin (VincentASM) is in the UK. We're everywhere and we tend to be a pretty kind bunch~

Really?? wow! I'm having a blast too!

How video game script recording works is you go line by line. So depending on the size of the character you can have a very long script. Most sessions are around 4 hours long. I would say for the first 20 minutes or so it takes some time to find the character and get in the groove so we might do 2 or 3 takes per line with the director giving direction. Once you're in the groove you then just go line by line cold reading it which I get in 1 or 2 takes. Usually they will want 2 takes either way to use as options. But I'd say we go pretty fast!!

I wish I had one of those!! But sadly I don't have any. Because of confidentiality agreements I'm not quit sure if we can record them... But I willa sk next time!

You guys are a great bunch! Seriously you've been wonderful. And I truly hope I was able to answer your questions to satisfaction and hopefully you've got a good glimpse of what happens behind the scenes :)

I will def post updated on my Facebook page, thank you for your support!

Oh, if you have a voice recording app on your phone that will be enough! I always record from my phone and upload the file to http://vocaroo.com/ , where you can then get a link to your audio and post it wherever you want. But of course, only do it if you want to! It's more than enough to have you here in the forum already C:

Thank you! I will definitely do that! I will try to get it up this week and if not I will send it to Chris to share with all of you.

anything in particular you'd like me to say? I'm taking requests ;)

Hello Ms. Marcella! Thank you for taking the time to do this and welcome to the community! I love your work in this game!

I have several questions for you today:

- Why were you interested in your parts?

- Out of all of your lines in Fates, which one was your favorite?

- Are you the ocean's gray waves?

Thanks again!

Thank you!!

I love girls who kick ass, whoa re ballsy, who are strong, who are vulnerable and real. And I think I'm lucky enough to get to voice characters that embody all of those :)

hmmm... "Sorry big brother but I've made my own choice" or something like that. I don't know why I like it... but theres some sass there.

I love that song!! thats is what you're referring to right?

Hello, Marcella. It's always nice to see entertainers in general that are willing to interact with their audience.

Anyway, my question for you today is this: do you sing at all? If so, is there any vocal part (soprano, alto, etc.) and/or songs in particular that you enjoy performing? I'm asking because, judging from the snippets I've heard in your performance of Lamb in League of Legends, your voice sounds lovely.

Aww wow thank you! I do sing, I wouldn't really call myself a singer but I sing for for every once and of course int eh shower and driving. I'm a soprano. I enjoy singing blues, jazz, classics the best.., and songs from musicals :)

Aww wow thank you! I do sing, I wouldn't really call myself a singer but I sing for for every once and of course int eh shower and driving. I'm a soprano. I enjoy singing blues, jazz, classics the best.., and songs from musicals :)

I also really enjoy irish folk songs and enjoy singing them as well :)

Just so everyone knows:

The AMA event will conclude tomorrow, so if you have anything else you'd like to add (users, new visitors, etc), feel free to join us all~

Thank you guys! You've been so welcoming! I had no idea so many people would be interested in talking with me. I look forward to getting the rest of your questions :)

Sometimes given the various confession quotes and the dialogue in the private quarters (particularly the romantic dialogue), I've seen speculation on various forums on whether the voice actors found the dialogue they had to act out cheesy or awkward.

I'd imagine it varies from voice actor to voice actor. How did you find doing Scarlet's romantic lines? (Of course, female Corrin does not have these voiced lines herself, being the player character to whom lines get said).

Also, in the original Japanese version, the Private Quarters feature was significantly more extensive, in that there was a "skinship" mini game, where Corrin (Kamui in the Japanese version) would pet the faces of the various characters with his hand (represented in the mini game with the 3DS stylus) while the character in question would giggle, react to being stroked, moan, etc. This didn't make it into the final localized product, to mixed feelings from the audience (some found it awkward and didn't mind seeing it go, others were disappointed; I won't start a debate here whether that was a good or bad thing).

But anyways, how would you have reacted if the feature HAD been in the localized version and they asked you to also do the stuff for this mini-game in Scarlet's voice as part of your acting as Scarlet? Just curious how you'd react to being asked to do such lines as part of the job.

Example (this isn't for the character you acted, as I couldn't find an example quickly enough, but this shows what it was like in the Japanese version):

EDIT: Oh, yes, shadowofchaos was right… I was forgetting that "Scarlet" was called "Crimson" in Japan. On that note, Marcella, which version (Japan's version or localized version) of your character's names do you prefer?

Kamui vs. Corrin?

Crimson vs. Scarlet?

Wow! I didn't realize the different versions would be different.. I figured they would just change the language.

Re:names

I like Scarlet though there is something mysterious about Crimson.

I actually like Kamui. I'm curious why there are different names in the different versions too.

I understand what you mean about some particular dialogue sounding "cheesy" I have definitely had to say my fair share of cheesy lines in many parts through out the years. And I think theres at least one cheesy line in every session we do. Either it's cheesy because I said with the complete wrong inflection and then it just sounds funny, or the line was written funny. And lots of the time we'll all have a laugh and then alter the line.

I really tried to make Scarlets romance lines as real as possible while still following the direction.

i think (hopefully) they turned out not cheesy but sweet. And remember, when you're in love cheesy lines are sometimes the most honest about the experience ;)

I felt that Harry Potter films (after the 4th) rely too much on visual effects, and they wanted to make maximum profit from them. They could afford John Williams and a better scenario but they did not because was a bit too exansive, when the firsts were less focused on money and more on performance. I did only read Harry Potter 5 and 6 though. I used to read a lot before, but I miss the audio part too much, the tone is too neutral in the books. Music and voices can really change everything, they make the difference between a good film and a memorable one. I do not know why, but I'm more receptive to sounds!

So basically they just improve a bit the quality of the clip ? It's really different from singers that make a brand new voice after post-production :) I did not expect Matt to sing like that either!

Anyway, I'm so glad I had this opportunity to talk with you, I learnt a lot from all the questions people posted here. I was just suprised by the conditions in which companies make VAs work (they should trust you more since you signed a non disclosure contract and give you more time and a full access to the project. I'm even more amazed to hear great voice clips perfectly matching every character's aspect). I'd just like to thank both you for coming here (SF is like a small world) and the Serenes Forest crew for oraginizing that great event! *Applause* And I'm sure everyone will join me to applause too!

I totally agree with you on HP movies! too much special effects . They def could have john Williams come back.

Yup that's what I'd say. Unless the character specifically calls for warping.

What sweet words, I really appreciate them.

Have you played the Ace Attorney games? If you would rather play games for plot rather than gameplay, this is something I feel you might enjoy.

I would prefer games for the plot as to game play. Thats's probably just the actor and movie geek in me. I'll add it to the list of games I need try!

I'm sorry :/ could you explain what you mean?

I wouldn't worry about that one too much. Some people just can't accept any changes whatsoever when games get brought here from overseas, and get way too invested in putting everything about those games down.

Now, I know that you said you don't play a lot of games since it isn't your forte, but you enjoy watching friends play them and sharing in the experience. Did working on Fates make you interested in looking back and finding out more about the prior entries in the series?