Serenes Forest Interviews Lady Corrin w/ AMA Event! [Closed]

Elieson

Thanks for deciding to do this AMA for us!

First off I absolutely loved your work as Lamb for Kindred in League so really amazing job there!

Questions

How interesting was that having to work with most of the dialogue being an actual conversation between Lamb and Wolf?

What are some memorable lines from your voice work with Kindred/Lamb that stick out to you?

And are there any series you'd want to do voice work for in the future?

Thank you!!! working on LOL was amazing!!! from start to finish it was a lot of fun! I think the concept of Lamb and Wolf is the next step in video gaming. their dynamic is so amazing and the idea of us recording together for some of it and really working off each other is great and I think the audience can hear and see the difference.

"Never one without the other" ;)

Lara Croft! I love women who kick ass!

And any Blizzard game! A lot of my friends work for Blizzard so it would be very special if I could work on a game that my friends make :)

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Marcella, big fan of your voice work! I've always wanted to ask, how do voice actors make the sounds when a character is getting hit/injured?

Great question! They're called "efforts". And it's kind of difficult to explain how to do it without showing you. But it helps to move your body to where you're getting hurt. so if someone punches you in the gut, you jolt and curve your back like someone actually hit you and then let a sound come out of your mouth. you put stress in different areas of your body and for lack of a better explanation... Act ;)

Wow, first Rena Strober and now Marcella! Amazing! I'd ask if you and her have talked, but that was kind of answered already.

If you could've voiced another character from Fates, who would it have been?

I remember a character named Azura that I liked

Hiya!

You did an exceptionally good job of conveying all aspects of Corrin's personality. You really brought something to the character that I never would have expected, so I gotta thank you personally since Corrin is one of my favorite Fire Emblem characters.

I've just gotta ask one thing... You had to record for Smash Bros and Fire Emblem:Fates on the 3DS. Which one did you do first? Were you working with the same voice directors or did you have all new people?

Wow thank you so much! I really appreciate your kind words!

I recorded Fire Emblem first and then a few months later they asked me to reprise Corrin for Smash Bros. And it was the same director for both :)

I remember a character named Azura that I liked

Ah, Azura, the Songstress. She was one of the lead characters of the game (although of course Corrin, whom you did end up voicing, is the protagonist). Rena Strober ended up being Azura. She also spoke to us on Serenes some months ago.

Anyways, its so nice and thoughtful that you're doing this.

Of the characters you did in Fates, Corrin and Scarlet, which one did you enjoy voicing more?

I think I enjoyed Scarlet more for the simple reason there wasn't a lot for me to do for her so it left me wanting more! I loved Corrin too of course! Every time I voice Corrin it's like saying hi to an old friend. it might take me a few tries to get back to her voice but then when it hits, everyone in the room goes "there she is!"

Ah, Azura, the Songstress. She was one of the lead characters of the game (although of course Corrin, whom you did end up voicing, is the protagonist). Rena Strober ended up being Azura. She also spoke to us on Serenes some months ago.

Anyways, its so nice and thoughtful that you're doing this.

I know! And she did such a great job!!! and this is fun, No problem ;)

I have a question for you, but the focus isn't necessarily on Fates.

My question to you is, why did you become a voice actress, and how'd you get there?

You see, when I was small, I did lots of child modelling and casting calls for Canadian TV commercials (though never got any), and voice acting was one of those areas in the industry that has always interested me. I even had a few lessons from this guy by the name of Michael Bean whenever he was in town doing acting workshops (I was still rather young at the time). It's something I've always wanted to do. Is there a way into said industry? And how would I get there?

My question to you is, why did you become a voice actress, and how'd you get there?

You see, when I was small, I did lots of child modelling and casting calls for Canadian TV commercials (though never got any), and voice acting was one of those areas in the industry that has always interested me. I even had a few lessons from this guy by the name of Michael Bean whenever he was in town doing acting workshops (I was still rather young at the time). It's something I've always wanted to do. Is there a way into said industry? And how would I get there?I

I've been voice acting since I was 8 years old. My parents are actors and my dad mainly did voice overs. so you could say I have it in my blood, my bones. the voice over world is my home so i'm not quite sure how to get to it from a beginners side. But I would say, if you're in LA, take some Voice acting classes and see what the teachers say. they can possible hook you up with casting directors or an agent. Best of luck!

You're free to ask anything (within reason, of course), no worries! Doesn't have to be Fates or FE related at all :P:.

No problem! This is a lot of fun! It's VERY rare that you interact with other actors. It is usually just you alone in the booth per session while the director, engineer, producer/client are in the recording room listening in. They usually book the actors back to back so you'll be able to see who's going in after you and can say a quick hi but that's it. It's fun though cuz you'll never know who you'll run into and it's a very small community. The voice over industry is very different than any other medium in show business. It's much smaller and more casual. Voice over actors are down to earth and fun and very supportive of one another.

Yeah, that's what I'd mostly heard from people in the past. It's too bad that you don't get to socialize much with co-workers on a project! But that's the nature of voice acting I guess :P:.

Do you have any interesting tales you might be able to share about your time in the business? You mentioned your colleagues are pretty down to earth, so I figured you may have some fun stuff to share with the rest of us! Just something that stands out to you that you think might make a cool story, I'm sure people would like to hear about it!

Edit: Night! Thanks again for spending a few days with us.

Edited by Tangerine

I've been voice acting since I was 8 years old. My parents are actors and my dad mainly did voice overs. so you could say I have it in my blood, my bones. the voice over world is my home so i'm not quite sure how to get to it from a beginners side. But I would say, if you're in LA, take some Voice acting classes and see what the teachers say. they can possible hook you up with casting directors or an agent. Best of luck!

Ah, fair enough. I'm far from LA, way far. I'll have to look for more, local voice classes, in Canada. If not, is there anyone you would recommend?

Hi, and welcome to the Forest~!

Assuming I'm reading your IMDb page correctly, it also looks like you do some acting, as well. Which do you prefer, acting in front of a camera, or voice acting?

It's great to have you at SF!

If you were to pick another character (whom you have not voiced as before) to voice as, whether he or she is a Fire Emblem or Nintendo character or whatever, who would it be and why?

Edited by Roflolxp54

Welcome to the Forest!

First and foremost, I really want to commend you for your performances as Corrin and Scarlet. Both are easily some of my favorites in the entire game (Your voice for Corrin is by far my favorite option for them.)

Since you mentioned you were into films, do you have any favorites?

Thanks again for stopping by!

Welcome to Serenes Forest and thankyou for this great opportunity! We really appreciate it, staff member or not :)

Here are my questions.

1. Is it hard to get into voice acting compared to the standard television industry?

2. Do you like the idea of Fire Emblem and the genre as a whole? (Fantasy/Medieval/Strategy)

3. If you were asked to go back and voice for another Fire Emblem game, would you do it?

4. What are some other video games/anime/cartoon/TV/anything really series you'd like to be a VA in?

Sorry for the large amount of questions. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have fun answering everyone's questions :) Good luck for future roles :D

Do you play video games, and if so, what is your favorite genre?

Have you played any Fire Emblem in particular or plan to try any out?

Do you ever get the urge to spontaneously scream "For Nohr!"?

Hi! I'm glad to see the actors involved with the series as of late interacting with the community more, so first of all, let me just say "thank you" for taking the time to do that. From my own experiences, I know actors are very busy people because they are essentially all small business owners; you have to constantly be auditioning, fulfilling work for clients, and looking for future prospects.

Anyhow, hopefully my questions here aren't too personal, but if they are, please forgive me. Do you do any other work besides acting? If so, what else do you do? I know it's fairly common, especially in the VO business, to work other jobs on the side in addition to acting. That said, you seem to do a lot of onscreen and offscreen acting, so I was just curious as to your situation.

Also, how difficult is scheduling sessions for different clients? I would imagine it being fairly difficult to deconflict with different client needs if you have a decent influx of people hiring you. Do you ever miss out on work because of scheduling conflicts?

Hello, and welcome to Serenes Forest! It's a great community just so long as you avoid Serious Discussion. :p

Anyway...

Which historical figure would you most want to voice?

Which fictional character would you most want to voice?

Hi Marcella! Congratulations (and thank you) for the amazing work you did for Fates, your voice fits Corrin's character perfectly (especially Conquest's Corrin, hearing Corrin crying always gets me during sad cutscenes), and I'd be glad if you continued the Fire Emblem adventure with us! I have a few questions too, but I'd like to say it's very nice to come chat with us here.

Questions:

- When you're working on a character, what are you told about her? Are you just given the main lines, or a more detailled description, design, etc.?

- How does it feel to hear your own voice on a video game or see yourself on a screen?

- As a voice actor, do you work alone, or sometimes meets/ records (simultaneously) with the other VA working on the same project?

- in the cultural world, artists often have for inspiration an artist in the same field. What is yours, if you have one (outside of your parents)?

- I'm always amazed by the diversity of (sometimes very different) voices a single VA can perform. Are voice clips edited numerically to help you change your voice (more than just a little correction to sleek the sound)?

- I saw you appeared on an episode of Criminal Minds (my favourite TV show). What did you find the more difficult or interesting, voice acting or "live action" ?

- How can you stay serious when recording combats screams, grunts, pain, etc?

- Was it difficult to perform Corrin's voice exactly as it was a few months later for Super Smash Bros? It's hard to explain, I mean, to sound exactly like Fates' Corrin ? And also why did Nintendo changed "This ends now!" into "This ends here!" ?

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

Great thread. I really like Corrin's critical hit quotes/skill activation quotes they are awesome and Scarlet's "I'm gonna go Nohrian on your butt" always gives me chills it's really cool and enjoyable to hear.

So 2 questions for Ms.Marcela : How did it feel to save yourself in Revelations during the jump in the Bottomless Canyon ?

Also who is your favorite male character in Fire Emblem Fates.

Edited by WinterOkami