Playing FE7 who should I use and who is best?

Marz

FE7 is one of those games where a lot of the recruit able characters need specific characters other than the lords to recruit them, I.E Florina to recruit her sister , Matthew to recruit Guy and Priscilla to recruit her brother. Don't worry if a couple of units die in Lyn's Story, which is 1/3 of the game as those units that die in that part still comeback but with lower stats.

Both Kent and Sain are really good and it's manageable to use both at the same time in one play through. I personally prefer Kent as I have very bad luck when using Sain as he has alot of strength but sometimes lacks the skill to hit an enemy or speed to double them. If one of them starts to fall behind in level ups, bench them. Keep in mind that a unit named Canas is the only unit who can use dark magic so if you find a dark tome but if Canas died or you have no plans in using him, sell the tomes if you find one.

Also, to unlock side quests, you need to beat a chapter under certain conditions i,e defeat the chapter in less than X turns, keep NPC's alive and in one case, gain over 700 exp within the chapter. You can choose to opt out of side quests before choosing them but I recommend taking on as many as you can for extra experience.

Lyn and Hector are only forced in a few chapters, so if you don't like using them (or if their level-ups suck) you can bench them and just deal with fielding one or two bad units in these chapters. It shouldn't be too hard to keep them alive in these chapters, even if they were at base level.

Marcus is a freaking god in this game. He'll be a great combat unit with high movement despite his bad growths. Especially on Eliwood Normal Mode his bases should carry him almost to the final chapter. Don't worry too much about the lost experience; unless you literally solo the early maps with Marcus, your other units shouldn't fall behind.

In general, this game has few terrible units, so don't worry too much about your unit selection. You might want to bench your archers - bows isn't a good weapon type and neither Wil and Rebecca have the stats to make up for it. If you want a bow user anyway, Rath is the strongest choice.

The fighters don't really shine, either. Dorcas has alright bases but an atrocious 20% speed growth while Barte can be alright longterm, but sucks at the beginning unless you're lucky with his 40% speed growth right away.

But on normal mode you should get away with using anyone you like, really.

Keep in mind that a unit named Canas is the only unit who can use dark magic so if you find a dark tome but if Canas died or you have no plans in using him, sell the tomes if you find one.

One exception: Keep one Luna tome for the very final map. You won't be disappointed! :D

Sain so far is extemely better then Kent more speed and defence and skill and even strength

Florina seems solid

Dorcas is lacking some power,when do you fight some cavaliers or lance units

Lyn is currently good,Mani Katti is too good and I am conserving it as much as possible

Wil is really bad I'm benching him

Erk not really wanting to use him

Serra is just Serra

Sain is INSAIN and Kent's sword and lance are KENTAGIOUS

Edited by Seraphiel

Lyn is currently good,Mani Katti is too good and I am conserving it as much as possible

Don't bother. Lyn gets it repaired when she rejoines in Eliwoods story.

Sain

Florina

Serra

Matthew

Rath (maybe)

Lucius

Nils/Ninian

Marcus

Rebecca (maybe)

Bartre (maybe)

Oswin

Guy (maybe)

Priscilla

Raven

Canas

Dart

Fiora

Legault (but only if you don't really liked Matthew)

Pent

Louise

Karel

Jaffar

Nino (maybe)

nino/bartre/rebecca are terrible and dart isn't good

FF7 is a forgiving game when it comes to what units to use because even the worst can be effective. Dorcas and Bartre are not going to gain much speed but they are still quite likely to gain enough speed to double units that are weighed down by steel weapons, of which there are a lot in the midgame all the way to late game. That allows you to switch your party members around so you can share EXP which will help your ranking, if you care about that.

Honestly, even Dorcas isn't that bad a unit. Even on Hector Hard Mode, as long as he gets to speed 10 you can use him to double and kill mid game units weighed down by steel weapons (effectively hitting at AS 5 and 6). He can gain a lot of exp that way easily. He should gain enough str to one shot units with counter weapons like Halberds.

If your just playing normal difficulty then use who ever you want, everyones going to be effective. I'm finishing up my hard mode run of FE 6. Thank the IS gods that FE7 enemies have a lot less speed.

nino/bartre/rebecca are terrible and dart isn't good

I always try to recruit absolutely everybody, so in Hector mode, you're pretty much forced to use Bartre, if you want Karla.

Dart's only real issue is low Skill growth, but as far as Axe users go, your choices are limited, unless you just want to stick with Hector.

I always try to recruit absolutely everybody, so in Hector mode, you're pretty much forced to use Bartre, if you want Karla.

Dart's only real issue is low Skill growth, but as far as Axe users go, your choices are limited, unless you just want to stick with Hector.

And needing a promotion item that's expensive as all hell, in addition to being easy to miss. Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

You do get more options after promotion (paladins and heroes) and since both Hand Axes and Steel Axes are E-ranked in this game, you can a) use 1-2 range from the get-go and b) grind their axe rank reasonably fast with a steel axe.

And, as Levant just ninja'd me with, for some reason Dart's promotion item sells for 25k gold, making him basically as expensive to use as Farina (with her 20k recruitment and less expensive Elysian Whip)

FE7 has a big amount of good characters.I'm gonna list my personal favourites

Sain: Sain is a good choice

Heath: He is the best of the flyers despite being low leveled

Canas: Luna

Pent: Good pre-promote

Rebecca: If you like a bow user

Legault: Best Assassin (This will be contraditory on the forum)

Bartre: He isn't exactly good,but if you want to recruit a certain character he needs to be promoted at level 5 on Hector's mode

Raven: Good Bases and good growths

FE7 has a big amount of good characters.I'm gonna list my personal favourites

Canas: Luna

You are talking about the best thing in Fire Emblem existence, lol!

But on a serious note, I heard that Canas actually has good speed for Shaman/Druid, and his Luna can OHKO the Final Boss. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Use Wil over Rebecca. He's available sooner, so you can give him a big head start for when he comes back in Eliwood's story, and he's just better statwise. He was always better for me anyway.

And like everyone else said, Sain is the beastiest cavalier. Lyn and Hector aren't forced in Eliwood's story, I think, so you can drop them if you want. Lyn's not that good anyway. Eliwood and Hector are decent enough though.

But on a serious note, I heard that Canas actually has good speed for Shaman/Druid, and his Luna can OHKO the Final Boss. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The final boss has 120 HP, so even with capped magic (29), Canas would need a double crit. Crit+hit is only 4 points short, though.

Use Wil over Rebecca. He's available sooner, so you can give him a big head start for when he comes back in Eliwood's story, and he's just better statwise. He was always better for me anyway.

Or use Rath instead because ballistae aren't that much of a deal and both of the archers are kinda meh statwise.

Legault: Best Assassin (This will be contraditory on the forum)

Bartre: He isn't exactly good,but if you want to recruit a certain character he needs to be promoted at level 5 on Hector's mode

I don't think either Legault or Matthew are significantly better than the other if trained. But as with Dart, promoting a thief effectively costs you 25000 gold and it's questionable if it's worth it.

Since you're forced into Eliwood Mode in your first playthrough, Bartre loses that reason to be used. ;)

The final boss has 120 HP, so even with capped magic (29), Canas would need a double crit. Crit+hit is only 4 points short, though.

Or use Rath instead because ballistae aren't that much of a deal and both of the archers are kinda meh statwise.

I don't think either Legault or Matthew are significantly better than the other if trained. But as with Dart, promoting a thief effectively costs you 25000 gold and it's questionable if it's worth it.

Since you're forced into Eliwood Mode in your first playthrough, Bartre loses that reason to be used. ;)

Rath's got terrible availability though. He's an EXP sink in Lyn mode, and he doesn't come back until halfway through Eliwood/Hector mode. Assuming you didn't train him earlier he'll be at level 7 when most of your units should be looking to promote soon. I arena abuse him in Four Fanged Offense because I like him, but otherwise he'd be a huge pain to level.

I like using both Wil and Rebecca, partially out of archer bias, but also because their support triangle with Dart grows fast and gives them monster Crit and Attack bonuses (+25 and +5 when complete). Combine with Longbows and they wreck everything with impunity.

As for my own character picks:

• Rebecca: I use Wil too, but her superior speed beats his superior strength
  • Oswin: His growths aren't great, but he's one of only three units with over 30% Def growth, one of whom is Wallace and thus trash.
  • Raven: Has great bases and offensive growths, although his defense and luck are pretty crap
  • Fiora: Has more defenses and Con than Florina, as well as better bases
  • Farina: Only available in Hector Mode, but great bases and very well-balanced growths make her a beast
  • Pent: Pre-promote, but acceptable growths and great bases. Good Con too.

Rath's got terrible availability though. He's an EXP sink in Lyn mode, and he doesn't come back until halfway through Eliwood/Hector mode. Assuming you didn't train him earlier he'll be at level 7 when most of your units should be looking to promote soon. I arena abuse him in Four Fanged Offense because I like him, but otherwise he'd be a huge pain to level.

I like using both Wil and Rebecca, partially out of archer bias, but also because their support triangle with Dart grows fast and gives them monster Crit and Attack bonuses (+25 and +5 when complete). Combine with Longbows and they wreck everything with impunity.

As for my own character picks:

• Rebecca: I use Wil too, but her superior speed beats his superior strength
  • Oswin: His growths aren't great, but he's one of only three units with over 30% Def growth, one of whom is Wallace and thus trash.
  • Raven: Has great bases and offensive growths, although his defense and luck are pretty crap
  • Fiora: Has more defenses and Con than Florina, as well as better bases
  • Farina: Only available in Hector Mode, but great bases and very well-balanced growths make her a beast
  • Pent: Pre-promote, but acceptable growths and great bases. Good Con too.

Wrath is weird in that he's overleveled in Lyn mode and underleveled when he comes back. A bit like Shinon from PoR. That's one of the reasons I never really use him.