Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 3 Reunion

Shin

Emmet moves to 9,10!

Emmet attacks Brigand E with Pinaka!
20 Atk, 81% Hit, 3% Crit
(21 31)
Brigand E takes 20 damage! (15/35 HP remaining)

Emmet gains 10 XP!
Emmet gains 1 Bow WEXP!

Claire moves to 7,5!

Claire attacks Hunter B with Fire!
18 Atk, 100% Hit, 18% Crit
(75 17)
Kaboom!

Claire gains 33 XP!
Claire gains 2 Tome WEXP!

"Her stance is a little off, she needs to use her knees more!"

Emily moves to 8,11!

"Leave him to me, Prince Owen. Malaphar's goons aren't worth your time."

Esclabor moves to 11,7!

Esclabor attacks Brigand D with his Iron Axe!
18 Atk, 79% Hit, 7% Crit, Charge possible
(65 99)
Esclabor deals 18 damage! (17/35 HP remaining)
Brigand D counters!
12 Atk, 34% Hit, 5% Crit
(12 80)
Esclabor takes 12 damage! (21/33 HP remaining)
Esclabor charges!
(92 22)
Esclabor misses!
(53 90)
So does Brigand D!

Esclabor gains 10 XP!
Esclabor gains 2 Axe WEXP!

Edited by Shin

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A wave of frigid air washed over Alain, rousing him from his torpor. Slowly, his eyes crept open. The grand vista of a blackened void embraced him at every turn. He could hear faint echoes of a battle ringing in the distance, growing quieter with every passing moment. That's right... He placed a hand over his chest, hoping to feel a sign of life. Had he died, or had he simply lost consciousness? The void stretched outwards in all directions... Certainly not heaven, but perhaps not hell either. His observations and examinations came to a halt as the sound of a strange voice began to emerge.

"Who... are you?" Alain asked, but the answer came to him as soon as he spoke the words. Belial. He felt himself being dragged deeper down into the unending void, slowly but steadily. But even so he ventured to pull back, unwilling to fall further--not so easily. Years of living on the street had taught him to extract the most that he could out of every opportunity. He took a sharp breath. This was just another one of those opportunities. Nothing more, nothing less.

-:-

"I suppose I should consider it a great honor that you would grace me with your presence when I've offered little more than a prayer in your name. But my my pursuit of knowledge does not blind me to your true nature, Belial. They call you a devil--a source of corruption no man should venture towards. Not even the most astute of magical scholars dare to dabble in your domain, yet here I am. If I've lost my soul as you say, then my afterlife is surely forfeit as well. In return I've gained a small bit of knowledge, and an avenue for more. But my mind is my own," he asserted.

"And I'll not relinquish myself for nothing. There was a man I met not too long ago, a follower of yours of course. He was decades my senior and yet what I observed of his magic, your magic, paled in comparison to his. You understand, whom I speak of, yes? I now found myself thoroughly unimpressed by what's been offered to me. I have no desire to waste away the years of my youth in blind servitude only to end up a withered husk of a man with nothing to show for it. Yes it's true that there is still much I wish to know, but death comes to every child of man. And if my time has come, then I can accept that as well," he said.

"But," he said, raising a hand up into the darkness, "before you grow tired of my words and find yourself wrought with disinterest, I'd like to ask you something, if you would allow it. As insignificant as I may be, it's clear you desire something more from me that what you've already taken. But for this bargain to proceed and come to an earnest conclusion, I'd first like to know what your goal is. What is your desire? Your purpose? To what end might my service benefit you?"

Edited by Vestige

"Wonderful..." Many things had happened, in quick succession, but Cass was left smirking instead of worrying. "I knew it couldn't have been this easy~ Ahhh, well... Adele, darling, how well do you trust my magic? Because I'd quite like to send you over to them to help, with this blasted ridge in the way. I have a warp staff on hand... Though, the last time I used it, I exploded a padlock, instead of warping anything. I've gotten a fair amount better at using magic since! I just don't want to warp you into a tree... But It's the fastest way to get you moved on towards the rest of our group. So... Do you trust me?"

Really, Cass was ecstatic to try using the staff again, but she was worried. If any part of Adele didn't warp to where she wanted her to go, that would be... Disastrous didn't quite begin to describe it. Still, the staff was already in her hand, and she was smiling some. Giddiness was apparent, nearly fidgeting over it.

"I suppose we're not in a loose enough predicament for me not to trust you, are we? Just make sure to keep an eye, I expect you to fix any damage you might cause if your attempts to afoul." Adele replied, slightly nervous about the prospect, but lacking in options. With the injuries that they appeared to have taken up above, as well as the approaching reinforcements, they were getting into a rather tight pickle, as it were.

"Alright..." Would it be a bad time for Cass to mention she wouldn't be able to re-attach any limbs that didn't go with her? Yes. Yes it would. So, just make sure you don't mess this up!

She moved herself over, unsure of how far her magic would send the heiress, so any closed distance would make things better. "Alright! Hold onto your... Your everything!" Cass bright the warp out, and focused-- happily finding herself not struggling to channel her magic through the implement anymore! The crystal up top shone bright, and in an instant, Adele disappeared. Cass blinked, turning her head to face where she'd sent her, and--

"Phew!" Amongst the trees stood Adele, perhaps shaken, but entirely whole. "Well! It's good to know I didn't just kill my reason for living! Thank you, magic. You curious contraption... Alright, Sidney! Let's show these mages what for, hmm?"

Cass to 11,14, Warp Adele to 12,12

Sidney stung a bit from the wind attack, but her enemy seemed far worse off. "That all you got? I agree, Princess. Whatever you did with that staff, it seems to have worked just fine, so there's nothing left to do here but deal with these clowns!" Bet your wind won't be as fun when I've got the high ground, huh?

Sidney to (12, 15) and attack the Mage with her Iron Bow

Cass moves to 11,14!

Cass warps Adele to 12,12!

Cass gains 40 XP!

Cass gains 3 Staff WEXP!

Cass grows to level 13!

(98 84 15 28 95 94 32 76)

Magic up!

Skill up!

Defense up!

Sidney moves to 12,15!

Sidney attacks Mage #1 with her Iron Bow!
11 Atk, 100% Hit, 11% Crit
(38 95)
(9)
Sidney's arrow veres off to the side!
Mage #1 attacks back!
8 Atk, 11% Hit, 25% Crit
(18 7)
Nice try, bub.
(83 51)

Sidney gains 30 XP!
Sidney gains 3 Bow WEXP!

[Don't look at it, don't think about it, it's not there--] Angus lashes with his own weapon, but it's caught by the ripping, retreating halberd. He could ignore his injury for a moment, but not he was in some pretty deep trouble. "Thomas!" Angus implores, making a desperate attempt to fence with the brigand. He was losing control of the fight with alarming speed, and at any moment that cur would--

Be plowed through by an arrow? [Emmet!] Offering the briefest prayer of thanks, Angus swivels his head wildly. Not terribly much could have changed, could it?

Thomas was in deeper cow leavings than he was, and already a ways away.

Wyvern knights. Those were not there. And that horse-bird-thing was much too close.

Adele's arrival was the knockout blow. She wasn't there a moment ago, Angus knew it! He puzzled for a bare handful of further seconds. Only the compelling instruction of a rising axe startled the mooncalf to action, galloping away to the lady's side.

"Adele! How! WhaddoIdo?!" The flier, the brigand, help Thomas, get Adele out, just get the hell out himself? Too much was happening too quickly. Angus had only his blind, if perhaps well-founded, trust at hand.

Edited by Terrador

Well, the warp had gone successfully, or at least so it appeared. Adeltrudis was in one piece, her equipment was all with her, and her limbs were properly attached to her torso. Seeing Sidney dispatch one of the few foes remaining down South before she had been moved gave the Herman heiress enough confidence to move into the centre of the field and assist.

Which appeared to be sorely needed, just as she arrived, Angus had charged to her side in a panic, clearly at a loss. As much as she had wanted to question this odd rider, it appeared that would have to wait.

"Cassandra used her warp staff, I'm here to help! That brigand you had been fighting tore you up good, it looks like. Let me handle him, regroup for now. If you think you can take out one of the others beforehand, then by all means! Just don't do anything that'd make me have to explain a corpse to Cass, you hear me?!" Adele replied, looking over just outside the small wood at the sudden addition, who appeared to be chased by more sudden additions... lovely.

"As for you, I'll take care of you in a minute once we're out of this mess! What message did my father give you, and why the hell are you being chased down by a flock of wyvern riders?!"

Angus nods in hasty affirmation. If not the brigand, and not the writer, then... Thomas! The knight closes just a bit, hurling his axe before turning tail and bailing as quickly as he could. With Adele swiftly dispatching the brigand that nearly mauled him, the mooncalf finally offers his wound an exploratory hand.

...At least the beast under his breeches and the beast in them were still intact. He could make do with that.

Angus to (12,9), attacks Brigand D with Hand Axe

Angus Cantoes to (10,11)

With Angus moving to assist Baron Escablor before retreating, Adele moved to act on her own part, moving out from the woods to face the brigand that had taken a chunk out of Angus, swinging her axe at him as soon as she got into range, hoping to dispatch him in a single blow. It'd be no good if he got another swing in at Kearney, after all...

Adele to 11,11, attack Brigand E with Nacht

"Ahh, you must be Lady Adeltrudis. I must apologize m'lady but Duke Herman told me to give the message to Prince Owen. Please understand." Marcus didn't like how rude he had to be Lady Herman, but orders were orders; and he'd shirked his duties for long enough. "As for the wyverns...that also has to do with Prince Owen's gift. Again I must apologize, but I need to bid you adieu." And with that he was off towards his intended target. Please forgive me Lady Herman. One of your comrades has already fallen due to my laziness.

There he is, Prince Owen, but I need to get his attention.

"SCRAW!"

"Must you always embarass me?"

A few sly glances, and the way she puffed out her chest indicated that her answer, could she speak, would be, "Absolutely."

Marcus to (8,10)

Angus banjoes over to 12,9!

Angus attacks Brigand E with his Hand Axe!
17 Atk, 91% Hit, 6% Crit, Charge not possible
(82 91)
Dead!

Angus gains 40 XP!
Angus gains 2 Axe WEXP!

Angus cantos to 10,11!

Adele moves to 11,11!

Adele attacks Brigand E with Nacht!
(33 23)
Lol.

Adele gains 40 XP!
Adele gains 2 Axe WEXP!
Adele sends a Halberd to convoy!

Adele grows to level 13!
(64 46 14 71 84 16 14 59)
HP up!
Strength up!
Skill up!
Defense up!

ALLY PHASE

Marcus moves to 8,10!

"Your chicken is huge! I wonder if the eggs are just as big!"

ENEMY PHASE

"I see a straggler! Time to clean up!"

Thantes moves to 12,6!

Thantes attacks Esclabor with his Siege Bow!
12 Atk, 100% Hit, 6% Crit
(6 86)
Esclabor takes 12 damage! (9/33 HP remaining)

Esclabor gains 5 XP!

"Talmot... I can't die here"

Hunter C moves to 13,7!

Hunter C attacks Esclabor with his Steel Bow!
12 Atk, 53% Hit, 6% Crit
(76 23)
Esclabor dodges!

Esclabor gains 5 XP!

"Get the bird! Ignore the people on the ground! We can see their stripes, they're clean! We have no business with them!"

Wyvern #1 moves to 13,9!

Wyvern #2 moves to 12,10!

Wyvern #3 moves to 13,11!

Laudine moves to 14,10!

"How amusing, you think that hiding up a hill will prevent my magic from striking you?"

Hippnos moves to 13,16!

Hippnos attacks Sidney with Blizzard!
12 Atk, 77% Hit, 0% Crit, 12% Sol
(55 32 60)
Sidney takes 12 damage! (12/31 HP remaining)
Sidney loses a point of move next player phase!
Sidney counters with her Iron Bow!
12 Atk, 46% Hit, 14% Crit
(75 12)
(59 22)
Sidney misses both shots!

Sidney gains 5 XP!
Sidney gains 2 Bow WEXP!

Mage #2 moves to 11,16!

Mage #2 attacks Cass with Elfire!
14 Atk, 49% Hit, 0% Crit
(12 52)
Cass takes 14 damage! (6/34 HP remaining)

Cass gains 5 XP!

Chapter 7 - Turn 6

94bad65f6498d0226d093e51cb9415d0.png

Ride the Tiger

Laudine called down at Owen's troops, raising her spear triumphantly. "Travellers! Do not fear, once we have completed our task, we shall aid you against these bandits! Justice shall prevail, for we are the Reliants! Life is a never ending wheel!" she shouted, her voice carrying across the plains. "We must apprehend the strange flying fowl, then we will be able to assist you!"

Emily looked a little perplexed, not quite certain about Laudine's claims. "The Reliants? It seems like everyone's part of us... I didn't realise there were so many branches." she mused, unaware of the situation."

Hello, Sweet Death

The voice began to laugh, its tone deep and resonant. "Alain, there is far more to the afterlife than the deity you worship. Your prayers are but compliments to my name... the knowledge you thirst for is the dedication that pleases me. You have but only scratched the surface of the abyss that I reside in. Even the man you speak of has only waded into the ocean of darkness. There have been few who have truly been able to comprehend the existence I bring... and far more who have lost themselves within in searching for the truth."

Belial remained silent for a few moments, before again letting out an amused laugh. "Your questions bring me pleasure, Alain. My goals are beyond your mortal comprehension yet you seek the answers regardless of the cost. Perhaps you have truly submitted your mind to me after all, grasping further into the darkness, even as it consumes you. You have been killed, Alain. The blow you received in battle was enough to shear your spirit from your mortal form. Your soul shall be delivered to me and reside in my domain for all eternity. Those who join me are subject to my world, does your curiosity implore you to see it for yourself? I am not an unreasonable entity, your desire to learn pleases me."

Edited by Shin

Reliants? Then... "HEY! WAIT A MINUTE!" Could they even hear him? He was so far away. Her voice was carried with the wind, but his voice... There had to be a way to get their attention. There HAD to be!

And then he remembered the insignia that he kept with him. He quickly took it out with his free hand. Maybe... He held it up, and began frantically waving over to the wyverns, screaming his head off. "HEY! OVER HERE! PLEASE! I'M A RELIANT, TOO!" He needed to speak with them. He had to.

"Ghhhh.... Ahhhhhh!" Cass couldn't hold her composure as the fire seared at her flesh and clothes. As magical as it was, the pain was real, and after having been clocked by the general, her legs were starting to wobble. "Wh-Who, knew... Getting set on fire, would hurt? Haha... Ahhh... Damn." Sidney wasn't looking too good, either. Sending Adele away had helped the other group-- she hoped --but it had left them dealing with mags far beyond their ken. I don't know if we can both get out of here...

"Well... I-If someone has to, you'd best start running, Sidney," Cass mumbled, picking herself up and only managing to back away a few feet, before her legs began to shake again. "I'll have to ask Claire how she does it! Gods, I can still feel the burn, hah!" Cass was gritting her teeth to avoid crying, taking out Jeeves worn and staff, and pointing what she could at Sidney. "Be quick, else you'll make my bother worry!" The wyverns claiming to be Reliants was calming, though how true that claim was, remained to be seen.

Cass to 12,13, Jeeves staff Sidney

It wasn't working. He was too far away. There was little he could do. Perhaps if he moved closer...

Serge to (8,7), place Steel Blade and Armorslayer in Convoy, remove Wingclipper and Holy Diver from Convoy.

It was very fortunate that Prince Owen was nearby. If this didn't get any of their attentions, he didn't know what would. Of course, there was the possibility that he was still too far away, but it didn't hurt to try. Picking up the Holy Diver, he held it up, trying to be as non threatening as possible, and shouted. "PLEASE! I WISH TO SPEAK WITH YOU!"

Serge moves to 8,7!

Serge places Steel Blade and Armourslayer into the convoy!

Serge takes Wing Clipper and Holy Diver from the convoy!

"Holy Diver? Its tip like shining diamonds... how does this man have the spear of light?" Laudine called out, pointing her own lance at Serge. "Speak, knave! From where have you procured the Holy Diver? Choose your words carefully. To possess it suggests several things, many of which unfavourable for you! You are the star of this masquerade, if I do not like your words... something shall be coming for you."

Serge quickly took one hand off the lance, lowering it with the other, and took out the insignia of the Reliants once more. "The Sword and Flame represent our power and Diversity. Anyone with heart may join. The Chain represents our bond. Each member is a link to that chain, and so long as that it is broken, it can be reformed. That is the meaning behind this crest. And this crest was given to me." He held it down, taking on step forward. "Like you, I am also part of the Reliants, though due to different circumstances. While I do not wish to recount the details, a man by the name of Niko gave me the honor of leading the new Reliants, before leaving to parts unknown. He didn't know there were survivors, and I only learned of the tragedy that befell the Reliants recently."

"As for this lance...Ywein, it's owner...Has fallen, due to trickery and treachery. We were deceived! Deceived by a man, a wizard named Malaphar. And if my suspicion is correct, a wizard that Ywein had been on the lookout for. Our forces were split, and I lead my own Reliants on a rescue operation, to save our boat captain! The wizard warned us about a group that would be waiting for us, and I foolishly believed him. In the end..." Serge knew that this woman would not enjoy what he was about to say next. He looked down at the lance that he held. "...In the end, we fought. And he fell. And I have carried this guilt all the way here." He looked back up at the woman, and held out the lance once more. "And so I offer up this lance, to return to you. It is not mine to keep. I offer it, and my deepest apologies. I have wronged you, and I know that I can never be forgiven for what I have done. But know that wish no ill will towards Ywein, or any of the true Reliants that remain. In exchange, I wish to guarantee the safety of my comerades. The wizard is our enemy, and we will not let this trickery go unpunished." He did not mention himself. "But if you must kill someone...then let it be me. Let my life pay for my stupidity. It is my responsibility to bear!" He knelt down, and placed the lance on the ground, holding his head above it, waiting for a response. In the end, he expected death. He only hoped that he would leave everyone else alone. Larissa. Hans. Lars. Emily. Morganna. Emmet. I'm sorry. But I can't let this go on in silence, anymore.

What was all the yelling about now? Serge knew the Reliants, it seemed-- but of course, he was one... But there was some... Altercation, going on? What happened? Why were the Reliants infighting? Were they not told something? Wait, boat captain? ...What happened while we were split up? Cass couldn't fathom exactly what had gone down, but it seemed... Bad. To put things as base as possible. Still, she had little time to focus on this commotion. She needed to get away, her wounds had gotten too out of control. Was there anyone nearby? Was there--

"Oh, thank Engel, you're always... A-Angus!" His bear loving self appeared above the ridge, past the trees. She couldn't tell the extent at a distance, but he seemed hurt. I suppose it's just how we are, isn't it? "An, Angus! Help!" She was not so prideful as to think she'd be making it out of this without aid, especially with these wyverns causing a further stir. Please let this fight end, already... There's far too much that we don't know.

Edited by Nanami Touko

"Ywein? I thought he had been delayed..." Laudine paused, looking down at Serge with a decisive glare. "You claim to apologise and blame the death of my brother, Ywein, on another... but you are the one who caused his death. Do you really think that returning his weapon and making a promise of supposed vengance is enough to emerge from the midnight sea? A group who is potent enough to eliminate Ywein and his men, and foolish enough to be tricked into doing so, if it is to be believed, should not be allowed to roam free on the continent. You are to surrender your steel immediately, life is a never ending wheel... it should not be stopped if it can be avoided. Your death would not bring the justice Ywein would have wanted."

What all had happened in the blink of an eye? A group of fliers had soared down from the mountains, chasing a rather peculiar flying animal, a bird of unprecedent size. Serge began to shout. His plea confused the prince upon hearing, especially as he got closer --did he just touch his pants? Wait, there were more important things to take in mind.

"Serge of the Reliants, is all that you've said true?" That was... a lot to take in, "Why was I never told of this?" From the events spoken, it seemed like Angus would have known. The prince threw an indignant glance to his supposed advisor. "This is a horrible time to have a heart-to-heart with these people, the bandits won't stop to listen..." Owen eyed the rest of the enemy archers as he finished speaking, wary of a potshot. He raised his free hand, in hopes of catching the attention of those 'true' Reliants' spokesperson.

"Good miss! You, that call yourself a Reliant! I can tell that the situation is grave, and I had no knowledge of this hired mercenary's story until now, but I'm fending off men that wish to claim my life." He had to be brief, the battlefield accepted no pauses. "Stay with us, I will help this conflict be solved once mine is."

Laudine cast her gaze at Owen, his proposition didn't seem to enrage her any further. "Very well! We shall aid you in this battle and deal with this discussion once these bandits have been vanquished. No treachery is present in your tone and voice... I feel I can trust your promise." she proclaimed, directing her troops. "However, if you attempt to deceive me or take advantage of my charity... for you there will be a truth as cold as steel. Reliants! We are to face these despicable barbarians! Do not allow them to cause any harm to this young man's party!"

Laudine's group becomes green!

Back in Magon

“A merc leader?!”

The entire tavern erupted into uproarious laughter. Bits of beer-sprinkled foam sprayed themselves onto the bard standing atop the table, who was too pleased with the punchline of her joke to normally retch.

“Indeed! Serge, head of the Reliants! A man who could barely command respect from his underlings, let alone his colleagues. Ah, the questions it raises when life can still surprise you with such oddities,” she slandered with a much too beaming face, “What next? Shall he recruit a blind archer? Maybe a mage that specialises in a single one-day use spell?

Susan revelled in the ensuing cackles. A patron choked on his food and spluttered to the floor; they laughed at that too.

“Lounging in his armchair while sending his mercs to do the real fighting? Letting a woman protect him? One could almost mistake him for a Toulousian!”

The bar was almost delirious now, awash with rosy-cheeked howls.

“Susan! Susan! Susan!” The burst of euphoria was enough to throw the normally composed Susan's balance nearly off her table. They believed in the rainbow-haired lady the same way some would believe in Belial. Who knew the bard could start a cult? The drunken feeling to have the attention of everyone in the room, wrapped around her little finger, hanging on her every word. To shape and create worlds. It was invigorating.

She could say Serge was a transvestite named Steve, and it would be so. Cassandra may be off-limits to the locals, somehow having ascended to a folklore hero, but she could drag everyone else down around her. And Serge the coward was the easiest target. By the time she was done with Serge, nobody in Angelcynn would ever respect him again.

Susan lifted a mug for a mock toast, “To Serge! Worst ‘hero’ this side of Angelcynn!”

“To Serge!” Many clinks.

“What a riffraff!” “Piece of trash!” “Good riddance!”

“He helped me once.”

The patrons chortled, but slowly stopped out as inebriated minds tried to decipher the statement.

“He helped me once. He painted my fence.” repeated the old man, and he hobbled up from his stool. He leered at Susan. Susan leered back. “And I don’t appreciate all this mud-slinging.”

Susan scoffed at the feeble heckle, and proceeded to sweep her gaze across the crowd, drawing the energy of their support. “You mean Serge the fence-painter? Very esteemed, good sir. Oh, excuse me.”

The old man shifted his weight onto his cane, getting closer to Susan, “Imagine if your worth was measured by how good you were at doing something you were hopeless at for the rest of your life. How would that make you feel?”

“What are you talking about? That’s ridiculous, nobody judges you like that, old man.”

It was amazing how quickly the atmosphere in the bar shifted, from this congenial electrifying buzz to this tense quiet that the shuffling of feet could be heard, everyone suddenly finding the bottoms of their mugs and the floor very interesting. As if they knew something she didn't.

The old man replied, “I am the first son in a generation of blacksmiths. For as long as I have lived, I couldn’t lift a hammer because of me back.” The old man hunched over the table Susan stood at, “Yes, he is terrible at leading. And yet, every morning he wakes up, and he assumes the role. Everyday he is met with a new failure, everyday he continues on. And you know what? His mercenaries helped him paint that day. The very people you claim don’t respect him. The very people who would be dead or worse without him. He treats them well.”

He narrowed his eyes, a fire smouldering in his eyes, “Wouldn’t you agree, Scuttle?”

And just like that, the spell over the bar was broken. The crowd dispersed. Susan hid her telltale ticks across her suddenly stiff frame as best she could, but it was too obvious. Her veneer had cracked.

“Enjoy your fence while it lasts, old man,” she growled from the very pits of her stomach.

He met her gaze with an equally-intense frown. “You don’t scare me. You don’t have half the backbone Serge does.”

The echoes of Belial's laughter sent a surge of overhanging nervousness coursing through Alain's body. For a moment he felt hesitant in accepting Belial's offer. There was no telling what sort of madness he would find in the demon's kingdom, but yet he knew full well that there was no other recourse. He wouldn't be able to return to the world of the living by his own power--if at all. But staying in purgatory surrounded by an all-consuming darkness didn't seem palatable either.

Belial had made it rather clear to Alain that his curiosity was perhaps the only quality of his worth considering. If that was the case, then there was no point sabotaging himself by denying the demon. "If you would grant me the opportunity, then I graciously accept," he said, trying as best he could to brace himself for the coming venture. Belial mentioned others like him who had apparently lost themselves in their pursuit of knowledge and power. Perhaps then his excursion was meant to be but one of many trials he would have to endure in the time to come.