Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 3 Reunion

Shin

Seeing Pinaka's magical arrow pierce Adele took the strength out of Owen's attempt to hold his sister back. His face remained stern, but his heart felt a heavy hit of guilt. He'd let Adele get hurt, in his attempt to stop the situation from spiraling to madness. In the end, he had achieved nothing. Blast my name, what is to be a leader if I can change nothing? His hand balled into a fist, trying to recall Jeeves' words. Even if I have to accept I need their help... what is my worth?

Of course, things spiraled further, the mercenary leader shouting and joining in Emmet's beating in a way that reminded the prince of Emmet's own outburst a bit too much. I see how it is... Even worse, his unfocused rage was enough to provoke Apellon into threatening him further. The grief and danger that day wanted to instill on them was a test. With a final threat, and a gesture that put the final nail on Emmet's coffin --the destruction of that flask he longed for so--, Apellon had yet final words for the prince. Words that... had honestly been things the prince already knew.

"Apellon, you said your name was?" The prince eyed the man straight in the eye, despite being shaken by Adele and Emmet's brawl, the prince had returned a level-headed stare. His mind had never stopped working out the details. "You are very predictable. But congratulations, I was powerless to stop you, rather unfitting of a prince, truly." Owen didn't understand how he remained so calm, honestly, but there was something in him that was too honorable, too important to give in. You won't find a mere human here, not just Owen, neither just the prince of Wyke. "By the end of this, I'll be a greater force than the conflict itself. Mark my words, man of madness."

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emmet rubbed his neck where Serge had grabbed it. He hand't expected such an extreme outburst from his former commander. He had seen Serge kill men on the battlefield before but not with such...vigor. Suddenly the other swordsman was standing over him. In his hands was a vial. Just like the one Cass had just used on Emily. Emmet's eyes widened. Then, he got the look on the man's face and let out only the faintest shout as he watched the vial crash against the ground.

Getting off his back and scrambling to his knees, Emmet clawed against the soil where the precious liquid still lay. He sucked on the dirt hoping to take in even a single drop but all he could taste was the bitter taste of soil. He screamed and banged his head against the ground, cutting his face against the shards of glass. Pathetic he shouted at himself within his own mind. You're pathetic. Fool! Fool to risk everything on such an obviously untrustworthy man.

At least he had learned one thing. Not only was the elixir real, but the fountain was too. Not even a madman would squander something so valuable without access to a larger source.

It was fortunate that Charlotte's arrow had struck first, and that Adele didn't seem too badly hurt by Emmet's wild shot. Watching the Herman's following attack and Serge's outburst however made the mage more than a little bit uncomfortable. "This is all pointless..." she muttered, looking away from Emmet towards the new subject of Serge's ire - their strange guest.Claire had no clue who he was, but was on edge all the same. It was just as well it seemed, considering he could've likely cut the reliants' number down even further if he wasn't so intent on playing with his food. To top things off, the familiar looking vial he had just added to the mystery. Who is this man? It seemed that some of their party were familiar with Apellon and his companion, but Claire was clueless beyond the fact that they were obviously dangerous.

If they were with Malaphar, wouldn't they have joined in on the ambush? They both seemed like nimble fighters who could have given them some trouble were they not so sorely outnumbered, but she didn't have time to dwell on it. Her eyes widened as Apellon shattered the vial in front of them, for seemingly nothing more than his amusement. While she was glad to see him go, he'd raised even more questions - and they really didn't need to make another enemy today. 

Disregarding Owen's words to Apellon for now, the mage stepped forwards towards Emmet - who was now crashed on the ground worshipping the place the elixir fell. Her shaking rage from earlier had long subsided, and she stood pensive for a moment, still a good distance away from the scholar. He was pretty much insane by this point, shaking on the ground like a wounded animal. "It's over, Emmet. See where this all got you?" Between the betrayals on Emmet and Scuttle, the only thing Claire wanted to do with the fountain if they found it was ruin it. And they didn't even drink from it... If just the desire was enough to bring people to madness, what was the elixir itself capable of? Perhaps giving it to Emily and Slappy had been a mistake, but only time would tell...

Emmet raised his head to look at Claire. His face was dirty and covered with blood. Parts of it were also swelling and turning purple due to the assault from both serge and Adele. "No" he muttered. "It's not over." His voice was raspy and pained due to the vicious choking he had received. But he spoke as if he did not care. "Nothing ever ends until we die." He got to his feet, took a few steps and collapsed to the ground where Pinaka lay. Using the bow as a crutch, he returned to his feet and slowly began to hobble off. Intent on leaving behind these fools forever.

Edited by Jotari

Adele's fist hung in midair as Cass came from behind and stopped her, the Herman heiress not moving after Serge came and pulled Emmet away, leaving but a wad of torn wool in the hand that had been gripping him. What happened after that didn't really register, Adele's hand dropping after a few moments.

"Why? Why is this happening?" She muttered, though it was more than likely only Cass would hear her.

Serge sprung to life and removed Emmet from Adele before Cass could stop anything further, and gave Emmet was Adele was likely trying to. A weak cry was all she could manage as the group continued to fight, Apellon giving Emmet what Cass had seen coming. The vial shattered into the dirt, and Emmet scrambled after it, his desperation palpable. Adele murmured a confused reaction, Cass bit her lip. "I don't know. I don't know why..." But it had happened, no matter why. All they could do was try to pick up the pieces, and move past here. Cass started by turning Adele around, slowly, staff in hand already as she tugged out Emmet's arrow. A quick fix was all she had left in her after their huge fight, managing to stop Adele from bleeding. Nona or Larissa would have to look after her soon, or maybe Cass could get enough rest and do it herself.

"S-Stay put, alright? You're hurt. So... N-No more, rash movements. I have to check on--" But Emmet, no, he couldn't stop himself, could he? Cass furrowed her brow, frustrated. Let it go. This is the end of it. You've thrown everything away already, to think that we would let you leave after all of this... She made no pause; a hurried pace caught up to him in an instant. Instead of throwing more fists, attacking with blades, she simply tripped him. He was already stumbling, it was an easy task, even for someone as tired as Cass.

"Give it up, already... This is enough. Just... Just stay put, Emmet. Someone," she called over to the group, "please, restrain him. I don't think there's anything we can do to get him to sit still, otherwise."

Edited by Nanami Touko

Surely enough, the conflict among the group had only run its course, Emmet trying to leave for the sake of his own despair --he'd gambled everything, and now only the hope of finding that vial's contents again kept him moving forward. He might as well have died. Good work, Apellon. Sighing, Owen moved towards the fallen man, laying on the ground after being tripped by his sister. What to do now... this man was under Serge of the Reliants, but somehow I doubt his leader is in position to judge what to do with him. It all came to him, in one way or another, though at this point this was fine. Leaving a man this far gone to his own volition will either spell his own death or create another enemy for us. 

"So, what is your choice now, Emmet?" Owen asked, giving Emmet the mercy of a final decision. "You've seen what that liquid does to people, even those that haven't tasted its contents like you. There is no good further down that road, you might live forever--" Or not, should I succeed in this one ambition... "-- but you'll become a shell of yourself. Cast away this sinful desire, and beg for one last chance from a man you know is not like that treacherous dog, or be drowned by it." The better choice, would, of course, be put him out of his misery there and then. That would depend on how far gone Emmet was.

Edited by Xinnidy

"Wha... Owen, you can't... He turned on us; he shot Adele. I don't care what made him choose this course, to give him another chance, even if he begs... We can't trust him. I don't want to kill him, but..." Cass hoped that her brother's next actions were to be sending him to a Raewaldian prison, yet he seemed to be giving Emmet another chance. For some reason. A reason that Cass could not fathom. Is it because he's a part of Serge's men? Because things were too heated? Brother, I don't understand...

As Larissa worked on his wounds, he found himself transfixed by the spectacle before him. With each passing moment, Emmet dug himself a deeper and deeper grave. It was astounding, really, how much he was willing to sacrifice for a chance to reclaim the fountain's elixir. Yet, in the end, it all culminated with an unsurprising betrayal from an unscrupulous man. He continued to watch as Emmet bit at the earth below, clawing like a rabid animal pleading to meet its end. It was a wonder how fragile the human mind could be.   

"If I may," he interjected, sliding himself between the royal siblings and Emmet. "It is my understanding that Sir Emmet here was under the employ of Lady Adele. However, he is first and foremost a subject of Raewald, and a member of house Dun. Should he refuse to listen to reason, I would humbly request that you refrain from passing any further judgement until after we have arrived," he said, looking back at Emmet. He was curious to know how Emmet would respond to the Prince's offer of redemption, knowing that his only other option would be to return home.

"Thrice we have seen this accursed liquid, and twice it has been in the hands of our enemy. Malaphar is a threat to yourself, and until we find out his goals, he may very well be a threat to us all. It seems unlikely, but I wouldn't doubt the possibility that perhaps Sir Emmet here has been in conversation with the enemy prior to this moment--despite any proclamations he may have to the contrary," he said. "If you wish to pardon him, that is your prerogative Prince Owen, and if you find yourself wanting for him to atone for his misdeeds, her Majesty will surely have no qualms with that. All I ask is for him to be given some time. If Scuttle Thames was given her course, I would see that in fairness, the same be done to him," he finished, stepping away and standing over Emmet, curious if he would continue his futile attempt to run away.             

Marcus simply watched idly as all the events transpired. Numb to most everything that had happened. What is that liquid? He wondered, taking care of his own equipment.

Marcus puts Iron Sword in convoy, Takes Steel Blade from convoy

Feeling the weight of this new blade he thought to himself, If that man is any more trouble this should do the trick.

Claire doubted that Emmet would get far in his current state, even if Cass hadn't tripped him. She'd actually been prepared to do it herself with a freehand spell, but the princess had knocked him over the old fashioned way. No wind necessary.

More surprising than the scholar's pitiful attempt to was Owen's willingness to give Emmet another chance. How can we trust him after all of that? There a place for optimism, but wasn't this too far? Cass had a point. "As someone who's spent a fair amount of time with Emmet," Far more than she would have liked, in fact. "I think that letting him off free would be incredibly dangerous." He'd made it clear to her just before the battle began that he had no real attachment to anyone here. He'd betray them at the drop of the hat if the situation suited him - she had no doubt about that anymore.

Alain's mention of Scuttle made her grimace slightly. The outcome was similar, but the motives were different - and despite being the victim, the bard's situation hit Claire close to home, unlike Emmet and his greed. That being said... "I don't think that Scuttle's pardon was ever intended, was it?" Even with the vial to give her a motive anymore, there was nothing to stop her from running into them again. And nothing did. 

Regardless, the notion of forgiving Emmet so quickly was difficult for her to grasp. If that was Owen's choice, she would accept it, but...

Emmet laughed bitterly. "You think humans need some kind of aid to make them evil? I knew you were naive but I didn't think you were that much of a fool, prince. I've seen mortal men like that Apellon and the stories tell of deathless saints." Emmet got up off the ground but he didn't quite have the strength to stand up. For some reason he wasn't feeling any pain from his injuries. Instead, only an intense weariness. He settle himself into his regular meditative position, Pinaka lying lengthways across his knees. "Humans are humans, no matter what you do. We're all selfish creatures concerned only with our own happiness. Given the proper motivation, anyone would betray you prince. Some for their families, some for their ambitions. My price just happens to be in a glass."

At Cass' words he once again shifted his attention so he could rant at the entire group. "Judge me if you wish, I expect no less but do not pretend to take the moral high ground. I have killed no one today, how many lives have you taken? You are all killers just as much as me. The only difference is that I don't ignore the fact when it's convenient. You have no moral high ground over me, I didn't even attack first. All you have is more power. So murder me if you wish because I will not allow you to put me in irons. Which among you is a big enough hypocrite to do the deed." His eyes hovered over Sidney slightly longer than the others. "I die with a clean conscience. You kill with one."

Emmet shifted his attention to Alain. "As for you. Feeling comfortable there standing above me? Watch out for this one. He's already returned from the dead once when nobody else was looking. I suspect he's the reason your enemies keep finding us. But I'll humour you diplomat. What legal recourse do you have to imprison me? What laws of my home country have I broken? A country I have not seen in half a decade? I am guilty of only one thing and one thing alone. And that is breaking contract. Serge and Miss Herman are the only ones that have any right to punish me. Only they can claim some kind of legal superiority. The rest of you act out of petty vengeance. So go ahead. Decide my fate. But do so without deluding yourself. Never once have I deceived you. Never once have I even attacked you. No. I have fought alongside you. Healed you saved you on countless occasions. Even killed people at your behest. And in the end we had a dispute in which I stood, and only stood, against you in battle." After doing the rounds, Emmet's gaze returned to prince Owen. "Are you the kind of people murder your enemies simply because they were your enemies?"

Edited by Jotari

Cass had been about to chime in with Alain, but Emmet spoke, and she found herself disgusted. "We fight to defend ourselves. Should we have sat here and let these bandits run amok through us, killing us as we pleased? Yes, we are murderers. How naive do you think we are? But we're not as selfish as you are, Emmet. Not even close. I don't care if you didn't pull the string; you can plead technicalities until you're blue in the face-- your purple's halfway there. You shot my lover. I don't care if it was first, or in response. You threatened to do it, broke our trust. The person you were employed to, through your greed and want for power, life, knowledge-- I don't quite care what drove you to do so. And don't think to tell me to my face that for one second-- one instance, that you weren't going to shoot, even if Sidney had not."

She huffed, arms folded, staring down at him as she felt he deserved. "Your attempts to play moral superiority fall on deaf ears after this stunt. The only reason I'm not heaving my axe into you myself is because I held a modicum of respect for you. I thanked you for your efforts, I considered you an ally; a friend, even. And yet, here we are... I doubt you feel shame. Your desperation has been made clear. And I had hoped you would face things like a proper man, yet you ask for death, like a coward... Do with him what you will, brother. Any last respect I had for him has been lost. And let me make one thing clear for you, Emmet."

She bent down to his face, staring serious into his eyes. "I do not regret, for one moment, pouring that vial down Emily's throat. Even if she comes back broken, even if she comes back twisted; half of what she used to be, she'll still be a more worthwhile person than you. Claire was right." With that, she stood, and hobbled off back to Adele, wishing nothing but suffering for the priest. Twice now they had been betrayed. Fool me once...

"I'm not asking for death princess. If you think I am then you understand nothing about me. I would not beg for death if you left me here blind and limbless. But of course you don't understand me. You're to most selfish one out of all of us. I bet you think you're a good person." Emmet had to raise his voice as she walked away. It irritated his sensitive throat but he talked nonetheless. "But all your kindness is a trifling courtesy meant to satisfy your own ego. You didn't give a damn about Emily's life until she could service you in someway. The only people here with a selfless bone in their body are Owen and Claire. If the rest of you think otherwise then you're only fooling yourself."

Edited by Jotari

It seemed things were escalating over by Emmet, with Cass having run off after him, others gathering around soon after. Adeltrudis vaguely registered what was being said and done, walking over slowly to the gathering, placing a hand over Owen's shoulder.

"I've seen enough death, today. Owen, would you mind if I take care of this?" The Herman heiress asked, looking down at Emmet, seeing him for the first time since she had swung. He had certainly seen better days.

Walking towards Adele, she hadn't noticed her going back towards Emmet. With him shouting of her niceties being a falsehood, she wished to be away from him. So what? She's a commoner, am I to care about every single one I come across? I've never claimed to be perfect or anywhere near a saint, I just said i was better than you... I shouldn't have to care, anyway... Guilt, was what she felt, hugging herself and walking off. Guilt, for a mercenary... I shouldn't...But I do. Damn you, Emmet. Just, leave us and quit manipulating me like this... That's all it is, is him doing this to me! That's... That's what... She caught a glance of the lifeless mercenary, surrounded by her allies. The pang of guilt hit harder.

"That's not what it is," she mumbled, struggling to take the first step, but managing to walk towards them. I don't even know their names... "She'll... Sh-She'll be, alright," she started, finding her approach nothing but awkward. "She might not be the same... But, she'll be alive. Take care of her... Alright? For... F-For Serge, and for the rest of you." Being nice, it appeased some part of her. This, too, was a selfish act, she knew that. But if I can manage to be nice to those below me without needing an excuse, can I truly prove that I am good, beneath everything? I shouldn't even be thinking about this...

"Comfortable?" Alain chuckled, rolling his eyes at Emmet's futile attempts to turn the Prince and his men against him. "Standing next to a man like you doesn't do anything to comfort me. Please understand that I have every legal recourse to have you executed, never-mind imprisoned once we cross the border. Do recall that you yourself pointed your bow at both the Prince and Princess of Wyke. The Queen's would be allies. Breaking your contract should be the least of your worries. You are guilty of threatening regicide and attempted murder of your employer. I am no legal expert Emmet, but please refrain from spouting such nonsense. I'm sure even your brother would find it unbecoming," he grimaced. 

"Everyone, save your breaths, this is an order."

Jeeves... Owen felt he'd heard enough, he'd heard Emmet's speech with the same stone cold face he'd listened to Apollon. Since the day we've last talked, I've promised myself to change. As long as I can make the world a better place, the morals of the kingdoms and their sinful leaders and followers matters not. If I'm the only one that holds perfection as an endless goal, no longer will I bleed my heart as I watch others sin. For a world of virtue... "Sir Alain, this man, a minor noble as you've called him, not only has never used his rank to speak to me or my sister, but has harmed the daughter and heiress of house Herman of Wyke, all the while throwing threats, whether he shot first or not." The prince threw his stern glare back at the ambassador, "I understand I have as much right to judge him as your kingdom. If the Queen asks, I will tell her everything as has occurred, including denying your request, and will accept a fitting sanction, should she deem necessary." He furrowed his brow, the prince was so focused in his own thoughts that the meaning in Alain's last words and Claire's response were confusing. "I do not understand what you mean by Scuttle Thames. She vanished without a word, nobody told me why." No matter, they could talk of it later.

"Sister, I know what he did, but I believe in redemption. Remember Gewaint? I thought he'd never change, that time. That a soul so vengeful and greedy as to attempt to kill me for the crown could do no good." Pause, "I was wrong. We learned I was wrong, but I had already made a decision." Turning to look at Emmet, down on the ground, Owen frowned. "Call me naive all you want, I'll take all the knives on my back to the grave, along with my betrayers. I will not falter on my virtues, misguided as you might think me. Perhaps it is my holy duty, brought down on me by Engel, or perhaps I just I have the luxury, thanks to the power I was born into. Whether thine or mine view are right matters not, wouldn't you agree?" Change. The prince needed to reinvent himself, the powers given him by blood, faith, and politics. If nobody wished for selfless good in the world, then he'd make them. He'd wish for them. He'd grown into a king of virtue, and enact the closest a human could get to true justice. I am no god, I am not perfect, but I sure feel like the only one that tries.

The prince sighed.

"Adele, if you are tired of death, I implore you to look away." Prince Owen drew his epee, bringing and pressing the tip of its blade on Emmet's neck, not enough force to pierce yet. "Sir Emmet, I must also admit our conflict does not end there. My only desire in researching the vial, soon as I learned of its nature and Malaphar, was to find an antidote." The prince looked up, closing his eyes. "Accepting death is part of humanity." That's right, He thought back to saving the mercenary, malaphar's world, the many times axes and bows drained almost all life out of him. I've already learned. I will fight death, but no longer fear it. "All will die one day...  myself included, Malaphar and the twins included. You can bet on your soul I will find a way. Whether the afterlife is ruled by Engel, whether it is a figment of our imagination and culture, the old will give way to the young. All will die. All will live." He stared straight at Emmet's eyes, curious to see the expression of a man with nothing more to lose. "We are enemies as long as you want immortality and I want mortality. And I have the power to stop you. Perhaps it is as simple as that, after all."

"Sir Emmet of Dun, any last words?"

Adele immediately felt a chill at Owen's tone. It was absolute, authoritative. It seems he had already decided his course, telling the Herman heiress it would be best for her to look away. Adeltrudis bit her lip apprehensively, Owen's conviction was strong, It was unlikely she would be able to sway him...

"Is this necessary, Owen? What threat is he, now? What good will come of spilling more blood, today?"

"Despicable," Sidney muttered at the sight of Emmet, as the physical hostilities slowed down. But even with his wounds, he wouldn't stop talking. Ambitions... no. I'm not falling for this. "None of us claim to be faultless... but it is only you trying to pretend that we are equal in the wrongs we have committed. Just because you have a pathetic price to sell your loyalty for doesn't mean treachery is something we would all commit- and aiming for you when your intent was to harm those I consider friends is no hypocrisy. Perhaps had the situation been different we would have thought more highly of you. I had no ill will towards you when you first arrived- it was your own actions, and that you are low enough to do what you have done in pursuit of your ambitions, that brought my disdain." 

Sidney sighed. Even with the prince's decree, she felt the need to explain herself once more. "I don't enjoy killing, but  when our enemies come to attack, I will not stand idle while they threaten what is dear to me. Were there a better way, I would prefer it, but sometimes there is not- and when you turned to take aim upon us, I did what I had to. I never took issue with you until your true colors were shown and it became obvious your material lust outsized your human compassion! If you cannot understand that, or if you choose not to believe it... then there is nothing more I have to say to you."

Adele...Perhaps I was wrong about you. Maybe you are one of the good ones after all. You are so unlike your lover. So much harder to crack. I did not expect this. What kind of heart lies beneath all that fortitude I wonder.

Emmet outright ignored Sidney as she had ignored him before. Instead he looked directly into Prince Owen's eyes. Those youthful eyes so burdened and troubled. He laughed bitterly, not at the prince but his own circumstance. "So if I lied would you spare me?" Emmet's face suddenly became broken and filled with sorrow. "I'm so sorry" he said. Tears starting to form around his eyes. "I'll never do it again." His voice quivered with sincerity and regret. But just as suddenly as the change came, he reverted back to the sneer he had before. "Pretty good, no?" He shook his head. "There's no point lying to you. I've been far too honest thus far for that to work. Perhaps I should have snivelled and begged your forgiveness from the start. But that's hindsight for you. Go ahead prince. I blame you not. There is no right or wrong in this world. No justice or virtue. There is only life and hapiness. I ask only that you use a larger sword to do the deed. And," Emmet nodded at Alain. "If you want to make yourself an enemy of immortals then I suggest you start with him. I did not mislead you before. He was practically dead on the battlefield earlier. Injured for life even with the most potent of healers. Yet he stands beside you now. Believe me or not, I don't care. None of it matters to me anymore."

Edited by Jotari

"I'm sorry, Adele. I shouldn't underestimate a man with nothing to lose." He looked her with concern and inadequacy, all his authoritarian tone gone in a moment. "I don't doubt your judgement, but I also see a man that will be my enemy in the future. Malaphar and whichever other faction knows of the vial can use him just as well, let alone his own ambition." He'd have to grant this Serge a monetary reward for trespassing his command and killing one of his hired force, too. Hopefully, Adele wouldn't hold it against him, that is all he wished.

Now, looking back at the man...

"It would have worked." Owen retrieved his Epee, blade no longer pressed at Emmet's neck. He'd listened to the man's request for a more swift, painless death. That was understandable. "I would make the mistake, and it would then be a matter of me learning your true intentions while you kept it secret. I thank you for your honesty." In this case, judgement was already cast, so even if Emmet tried to use that last act to save him, it would fall on deaf ears, but should he have done it earlier, his fate would have been different indeed. Owen rested the Epee back on his belt, taking to hand his sharpest sword, the killing edge. His eye glanced towards the ambassador for a fleeting moment, not to cast spite, but to register the person Emmet was talking at all. This time, Owen said nothing in response, just acknowledging the dying man's words. Whether or not justice and virtue matter for most... they matter for me, in their own bizarre way. I suppose, true feelings or not, that's all there is. "Very well. Goodbye." The prince closed his eyes for a moment, May afterlife do you better than life ever has. In Engel's name... The prince brought his sword to Emmet's neck again, brought the sword back for a swing, and, in a swift motion, brought a perpendicular slash.

The man known as Emmet Dun was executed in the 10th of April of 812.

Amen.

Edited by Xinnidy

Apellon's terrifying departure did seemingly nothing to dampen the burning matter of Emmet's betrayal. More arguments by half than Angus could register at once, though an archer digging desperately at the soil couldn't escape his notice. Quickly, the truth about the vial fell into place. Those monsters were alive because of whatever was in that vial, from some... Fountain of Youth? Probably Baleros too; the bear's breath was dandelions to that fetid maw. Others could come back, and this couldn't have been Emmet's first encounter with the stuff. Was something so deadly with them this entire time?

Angus only heard the muffled thump, and saw Emmet fall--at least that went predictably, Adele being too much for just one of those fearsome bolts. Prince Owen, though... the priests had a word for this feeling. Awe? For the first time, a twinge of fear accompanied his admiration. For all the people he'd left on the battlefield, not once had Angus seen a real execution... to see the Prince putting a former ally to the sword only made it more jarring. Emmet's true colors flew high and proud, his crimes clear: for eternal life, he stooped to sickening treachery... but to kill him with hardly a second thought? [How many of our lives did he save, before all this?] Angus' own, at least, so very recently. Still, he didn't speak. A King had terrible duties--who was a buffoon with a bear cub to say otherwise? Emmet was a snake of a man, old ally or not; Owen had right and reason to bid him a bloody goodbye. Angus closed his eyes at the word--at very least, he wouldn't have to watch.

"Mercy, Lor'."

The barest blessing made the barest escape, and soon the baron followed. A blind path forged through the space where he imagined no people, finally sheltered in the trees. No more twins, no more corpses, no more bitter justice. Just Angus. Alone, silent, a handful of melancholy minutes pass before his furry little one arrives; soon after, his great brick of a friend. The three stayed there, despite the others' movement; the battle over, the Kearney would not budge; as he put so tersely, he's "gotta horse." An afternoon's rest with his boys under that leafy canopy, a lonely ride across the moonlit desert plains... all the comforts of home afforded to him, just for a night. Solace enough.

Edited by Terrador

Spoiler

"it would have worked."

A change overcame Emmet when he saw the killing edge. Up until then his oncoming death hadn't truly registered for him. He could logically deduce that it was inevitable but a large part of him was certain he would escape somehow. He grew afraid. The first emotion in his life that he could not ignore no matter how much he cleared his mind. It was not the kind of pitiable fear cowards feel. It was an earnest terror that even the bravest of warriors would feel if they came face to face with a beast when unarmed. His eyes widened and his breaths became very deliberate. Large and slow.

Hands grasped at him to hold him in place. He didn't look to see who. He didn't care. All he could focus on was Owen's blade. "Look into my eyes, Owen" he said. "I doubt you've ever executed a man like this before. And I doubt I will be your last. Look into my eyes and remember me. Remember me on your deathbed and reflect on what you'd sacrifice for another hour of life."

"Very well. Goodbye."

Emmet closed his eyes and looked down at the ground. He let out something that was half a roar, half a gasp. "Don't bother burying me." He could only speak in a shout now. "Crows need to eat too."

Is that really going to be your last words Emmet? You can think of something better than that.

"The old will give way to the young. All will die." Emmet quoted. "Goodbye Prince Owen. Champion of Death."

Engel...Belial...Somebody help me. I don't want to die...

Edited by Jotari

Perhaps Emmet's continued display of defiance was meant to unsettle the party, but it had the opposite effect on Claire. This was the fate that he had brought upon himself - there were no two ways about it. The realisation calmed her, knowing that they were making the right decision. Knowing what was sure to come next, seeing that Owen's judgement was justified made things easier.

But only slightly.

A formal execution was different to any of the deaths Claire had witnessed before. Even Emily's death had been sudden and unexpected. Instead of shock, there was mounting sense of dread. Emmet's words sent a chill down her spine, and for a second she was worried that Owen would lose his nerve.

Thankfully, her doubts were unfounded, and the sword stroke was clean. Claire wanted to look away, but steadied her gaze. How long had it been? Five, ten minutes? In such a short time, Emmet had turned from a trusted (if a little insufferable) ally to this. He'd saved her life days earlier, hadn't he? 

So she didn't look away. The mage owed him that much. "Goodbye, Emmet." she whispered. The feeling of uneasiness slowly deflated, with the deed now done, and was replaced with a twinge of sadness. But nothing more. He deserved it... she told herself again, as if it would cheer her up. She just hoped that they would move on soon. Too much had happened here.